Snowballs - fair game if aimed at Dolphins bench?

Clark Rotary

7 minutes ago, eme123 said:

On tv it was a bad look for bills fans. It looked as though fans were throwing snowballs at their own players. After the Morris touchdown was the worst. Why are you throwing snowballs at our team to show your love? Its embarassing, stupid, and makes our community look like a philly/cleveland type of thing on a national stage. The consesus at the bar i watched at was the same. Someone even threw a snowball at the nfl network lady during allens post game interview. So now we are throwing snowballs at women?? As a 15yr season ticket holder i wasnt shocked in the least. The truth is half the crowd is there to get into the game, watch football at the highest level, and support the team. The other half is there to prove their fandom by doing look at me kind of stuff. Its beyond weird. 

The stadium wasn’t 💯 bills fans.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

If you think that throwing snowballs at the Dolphins bench is okay because of what happened in Miami(or any other reason for that matter), you are under the age of 16, or your elevator does not go all the way to the top, which is a polite way of me saying….you are an idiot. 

Could you be any more dramatic?

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Throwing snow in the air to celebrate is fine and looks great on TV

That is a very ignorant take.

The snow that gets thrown into the air is the same content as the snowballs..........this is low 30 degree snow which anyone from WNY should know is not powder.

A guy two rows in front of us threw snow up in the air and hit the ladies in the row right behind them in the face.

They were not pleased and it was not "fine".

There was much more danger for the fans in the stands than the players on the field but that doesn't matter to the TV fan police.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

Total, bush league, and a pathetic act to throw snowballs at anytime during the game. Hopefully, anybody who was caught throwing one by stadium staff should have been tossed out immediately.

Ironically, after they stopped the game and berated fans for acting like teenagers, it looked like fans were then just throwing them at each other, in the stands. The latter was really more dangerous, as most fans are not wearing helmets in the stands, and taking one to the eye or the side of the head could be very bad.

I saw a cop pelted with a snowball while making eye contact with the thrower:  all he did was shake his head.  It was honestly a bit infuriating because nothing was being done.

The throwing in the stands was a lot of throwing into the air.  Kind of like Lebron before a game with his chalk.

20 minutes ago, Mango said:

My GF sat in the 200’s first row above the boxes and built a snowman on the roof. Security came to yell at her when she put boobs on it, they were cool with the snowman but not the boobs which seemed so dumb.

They came back when she smashed it down in celebration and started questioning whether or not she threw the snowman.

Man, you run with some dangerous company! 😳

😁

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Clark Rotary said:

I thought that snowballs aimed at the Dolphins bench were fair game because the Dolphins sat our team in the  roasting sun in the game earlier in the year.  The whole thing has a nice Heat Miser Cold Miser dynamic that seems fair to me.  But I didn't see too much of the quid pro quo aspect mentioned in the media - did I miss it?  Just to be transparent I was reprimanded a few times by  authority types about my snowball throwing in 4th and 5th grade but have been clean for the last 50+ years - I always thought that was about average for growing up in Buffalo. 

Was hoping the Bills would get up 3 scores so the fans could have mercilessly pelted those *****.

Throwing snowballs was juvenile and it gives the Buffalo area a black eye.   I have been to games where fans policed this behavior and it stopped.   Night game hay have had something to do with it.  I was at the infamous NY Giants- Bills Monday Night Football game.  I heard that Cossel was less than impressed by the fans behavior that night.

2 minutes ago, TailgateChef said:

I saw a cop pelted with a snowball while making eye contact with the thrower:  all he did was shake his head.  It was honestly a bit infuriating because nothing was being done.

The throwing in the stands was a lot of throwing into the air.  Kind of like Lebron before a game with his chalk.

There were people getting hauled out by police.    The stuff getting thrown in the air wasn't chalk dust.   Not sure which game you were at. :lol:

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The snow that gets thrown into the air is the same content as the snowballs..........this is low 30 degree snow which anyone from WNY should know is not powder.

A guy two rows in front of us threw snow up in the air and hit the ladies in the row right behind them in the face.

There was much more danger for the fans in the stands than the players on the field but that doesn't matter to the TV fan police.:rolleyes:

Yes, ideally there would be no throwing anything that could injure anyone. 

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Your one example is definitely the rule. No one harmlessly threw snow up in the air in good fun resulting in zero injury.

But since you saw it go poorly, it must have been that way for everyone 

2 hours ago, Success said:

I was just about to start a "snowballs" thread - but more to just express how friggin' embarrassing that was on national TV.  We're not Philly.

I know it was Saturday & fans were drinking, but that was just dopey behavior.  We were lucky to not get a penalty.

I was at the game and 90% of the throwers were Bills fans...the other 10% were Dolphins fans. If this even matters....

21 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Remember when we used to lob D cells at Bryan Cox when he came out the tunnel flipping off the crowd?  Those were the days.

I'm certainly old enough to remember the hatred for Bryan Cox and the Miami teams of the late 80's-90s. The current rivalry is getting closer to that level.  Just need a few meetings in the playoffs to stoke it.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Your one example is definitely the rule. No one harmlessly threw snow up in the air in good fun resulting in zero injury.

But since you saw it go poorly, it must have been that way for everyone 

I never said that whatsoever emo...........the results were almost entirely harmless.........same as the snowballs that reached the field.

Someone might have been hurt but I didn't hear of one person needing medical attention because of the snow tossing.

My point though is that the people who don't actually attend the games don't have a good perspective.

AT ALL.

As soon as a few jerks throw snowballs it doesn't matter to the TV fan police what happens to all of the OTHER fans in the stands............"it's fine" if we get hit........we all get what we deserve because we are dumb enough sacrifice comfort,  time and money to cheer on the team in person so that the righteous couch potatoes can sit at home, save their money and watch the game in their jammies.........and instead it's only about how the people on the field are affected.  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

If you think that throwing snowballs at the Dolphins bench is okay because of what happened in Miami(or any other reason for that matter), you are under the age of 16, or your elevator does not go all the way to the top, which is a polite way of me saying….you are an idiot. 

This.

I would like to think that we are better than that.

I sat in the 2nd row, corner of the scoreboard end zone. There were a dozen event staff security and sheriffs on the ground watching the crowd and pointing and talking about people throwing snowballs but it looked like they weren’t doing anything about it. Not sure why. Several of them were being hit too 

Edited by Bills!Win!

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

…drinking is not an excuse for bad behavior. 

first of all Nice avatar 🙂

Secondly the snow was there and Im sure temptation was great to have some fun with it. I think it was inevitable, hopefully for the most part harmless. And fortunate to not have cost the team a penalty.  I wouldnt be pitching snowballs at the field I value my future attendance at Bills games too much.. I bet you could be banned for such an act. Maybe. It's a guess but it reads logical to me especially after an announcement warning was given of possible legal ramifications if caught. Risk reward ratio not even close Just Dont Do It.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I was not happy to all those snowballs, especially after the ref warned of a penalty.

Again, there were quite a few Dolphins fans in the crowd that would have been happy to see Buffalo be penalized. Granted, if the refs had thrown a flag after a fan in Dolphins gear threw a snowball, that fan may never make it back to their vehicle. Not condoning that type of reaction but I understand how something like that could be a possibility given the alcohol consumption of certain fans.

3 hours ago, Clark Rotary said:

I thought that snowballs aimed at the Dolphins bench were fair game because the Dolphins sat our team in the  roasting sun in the game earlier in the year.  The whole thing has a nice Heat Miser Cold Miser dynamic that seems fair to me.  But I didn't see too much of the quid pro quo aspect mentioned in the media - did I miss it?  Just to be transparent I was reprimanded a few times by  authority types about my snowball throwing in 4th and 5th grade but have been clean for the last 50+ years - I always thought that was about average for growing up in Buffalo. 

In case the youngins never saw this..

Payback is a witch.

I complained during the GDT, but let's be real. A snowball lobbed from the bleachers isn't going to injure grown men in pads and helmets, even unprotected coaches and staff on the sidelines.  Yeah, it may sting, but it isn't causing lasting damage. 

It seemed natural that drunkards were going to throw snow in that environment.  I don't think it made Buffalonians look all that bad, and honestly, the types whose panties were in a bunch about that aspect of it, aren't anyone whose opinions matter to me.  The fans have earned more than enough goodwill through all of their generous acts over the years (and their dogged commitment to the team through a decade and a half of misery), to make up for 15-20 minutes of generally harmless childishness.  My complaints and frustrations stemmed solely from the possibility of them costing the team a penalty once they were warned.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I complained during the GDT, but let's be real. A snowball lobbed from the bleachers isn't going to injure grown men in pads and helmets, even unprotected coaches and staff on the sidelines.  Yeah, it may sting, but it isn't causing lasting damage. 

I got hit in the back of the head with one of them sh**ts after the game ended, it definitely stung for a few seconds.  Wonder if it came from the upper deck or what

Absolutely nothing new

Snowball throwing has been fanfare at the Ralph forever… Snowballs always explode after touchdowns

I distinctly remember Kansas City fans pelting another team in their playoff game a few years ago…

People throw snowballs in snow games… The game doesn’t always stop but it happens

Edited by Buffalo716

I sit halfway up in the upper deck. Idiots behind us were tossing them and hitting fans in the upper deck. Many thrown cleared the upper deck and landed in the lower bowl. Pretty stupid.

Throwing them on the field was equally stupid. Don’t know if they really would have called a penalty, but what if someone had gotten hurt?  Just dumb.

1 minute ago, davefan66 said:

I sit halfway up in the upper deck. Idiots behind us were tossing them and hitting fans in the upper deck. Many thrown cleared the upper deck and landed in the lower bowl. Pretty stupid.

Throwing them on the field was equally stupid. Don’t know if they really would have called a penalty, but what if someone had gotten hurt?  Just dumb.

They cut Mike Pereira on the broadcast, and he basically shrugged and said what are you gonna do about it. I’ve never seen a penalty called in that situation. I think they were comfortable issuing the warning and then hoping it would diminish, which it did.

Throwing snow balls is not part of home field advantage,  when playing in Miami they can't sweat balls. Like Van Miller once said. "The Bills and the Dolphins, two teams that love

to hate each other". I also heard that a lot of snow balls were tossed by Miami fans.

Edited by PulseStart

3 hours ago, uticaclub said:

I wasnt embarrassed & neither were most of other Bills fans. I recieved from multiple texts from fans of other teams saying how awesome Bills fans are. This was a proud moment for us, dont ruin it.

When you grow up... maybe you will understand that you are currently an idiot. Obviously birds of a feather in regards to your friends 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Way back in the mid-70s I was a beer vendor at Rich Stadium.  I'm not sure they still have that job.  I carried a tray of beer around the stands.  Lousy beer, and overpriced at a dollar or so.

Anyway, near the end of one season, the Bills sucked, and OJ was still on the team and had a shot at some record.  It was a cold gray day with a lot of snow and not many people in the stands.  The beer market was pretty slow so I was just watching the game.  I was working in the northern side of the stadium, behind the Vikings bench.  Chuck Foreman had a great game and I think he might have edged OJ for the record in question.

And so the snowballs started, from the area where I was sitting.  One of them hit Foreman in the eye.  I don't think it caused permanent damage, but it was certainly a dangerous and foolish and embarrassing thing to see.  I can only imagine the fury Bills fans would feel if something like that happened to Josh Allen or Diggs or actually any member of the Bills. 

Cut. It. Out.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

It seemed natural that drunkards were going to throw snow in that environment.  I don't think it made Buffalonians look all that bad, and honestly, the types whose panties were in a bunch about that aspect of it, aren't anyone whose opinions matter to me.  The fans have earned more than enough goodwill through all of their generous acts over the years (and their dogged commitment to the team through a decade and a half of misery), to make up for 15-20 minutes of generally harmless childishness.  My complaints and frustrations stemmed solely from the possibility of them costing the team a penalty once they were warned.

Let's see you get hit in the eye with an ice ball and say it's just harmless.

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There are always going to be a few jerks who act out at games if given the opportunity.............it only represents the fanbase as a whole to the idiots who don't realize this.    

We are talking about a few hundred people out of 60,000+ that threw snowballs.    I didn't see a single person in our section throw a snowball.

And what you forget is that the week after the Chuck Foreman incident in Buffalo there was an uglier incident of throwing objects on the field by Minnesota Vikings fans.    

See my later post (sorry I didn't read through all the previous pages before posting).  I was at that game and the snowballs were coming from the area where I was sitting.  Foreman got hit in the eye.

Any team, any sport, any field or court of play; any fan that throws anything onto the field or court, or at the bench or even at another fan is a total idiot and should be banned for life. It’s stupid and unacceptable on every level. Full stop.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.