Jerry Sullivan crosses the line. Comments against women.

Draconator

I always hated Sullivan and that part of the media. Guys who have never sniffed a field who just ask questions to get under players’ skins. And it happens in a lot of fields now. Just say crazy things to get attention, good or bad. 

that said, it is a part he plays. My mom’s boyfriend is good friends with him and he’s actually a pretty decent guy. But it was time for him to retire anyways. 

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree. The employer has every legal right to fire him. However, the punishment sure does feel extreme. A heart felt apology by Jerry should have been enough. Imho, it's an overaction. I always liked Jerry because he often asked questions or made comments that others were afraid to make. There is worth and value in that. Look at the 13 seconds and how that was pretty much swept under the rug. Never would have happened in a market like Chicago, NY, or Philly. Coach McD and others would have been pressed and pressed until the media was given some resemblance of a credible answer. With Jerry gone, now there will be a happy circle jerk for everyone . 

Times have really changed. I remember the days as a kid when there was a good old fashioned fist fight. Not anymore. 

Great take Newcam.  I loved Sully's writing for years.  The guy is sharp, knows sports real well and has a little bite and lots of wit.  I remember when he was on the bills radio pregame show years ago.  He was great.  He got a little nuts being negative about women football fans.  But I have heard a lot worse in my day.  I still will always love his writing, like any sports fan should.  

Not a lot of good fist fights anymore.  Although I did almost see a big fight at the Elbo Room on Fort Lauderdale Beach on Saturday nite.  A gal started running her mouth after she bumped into a guy minding his business, and would not say excuse me, and it just sort of escalated from there.  My girlfriend started chirping at the other chick, and it was one push from exploding.  LOL  That place is an old school party.  A must see place for anyone visiting S Florida.  

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Einstein said:

No. Im okay with him losing his job in this situation. Not just for this comment but his overall demeanor toward the teams he writes about. We need a journalist that will ask tough questions, but we dont need them to be a dick about it.

In general (not Sullivans situation), I am lamenting a culture that allows no room for mistakes without life altering consequences. I am in favor of a society that helps rehabilitate people more than punish them.

OK.  How many (relatively impactful) mistakes in a professional context do you think employers should allow?

Edited by Beck Water

1 minute ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Great take Newcam.  I loved Sully's writing for years.  The guy is sharp, knows sports real well and has a little bite and lots of wit.  I remember when he was on the bills radio pregame show years ago.  He was great.  He got a little nuts being negative about women football fans.  But I have heard a lot worse in my day.  I still will always love his writing, like any sports fan should.  

Not a lot of good fist fights anymore.  Although I did almost see a big fight at the Elbo Room on Fort Lauderdale Beach on Saturday nite.  A gal started running her mouth after she bumped into a guy minding his business, and would not say excuse me, and it just sort of escalated from there.  My girlfriend started chirping at the other chick, and it was one push from exploding.  LOL  That place is an old school party.  A must see place for anyone visiting S Florida.  

isn’t that where Bills fans hang out when they go down for Miami games?

43 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Just a comment that I did not say the things quoted and attributed to me in your post.  They were said by Einstein.

I don't know how they wound up attributed to  me, but for courtesy and to avoid confusion, I would be obliged if you could correct the attribution.

You could edit your post to delete the quote and paste in this link instead.  Thanks.

I just quoted what was in the thread as your post....not sure I follow what you are saying attributing things to you?  I just deleted the post anyway, no big deal.

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

And also was turfed from being the Amerks team dentist, and removed from the board of directors of Highland Hospital.

and was kicked out of the clubs he was associated with.  i heard about it first when a member of a dinner club where he was also a member asked me about him.  they were planning to remove him even before it hit the news.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BRH said:

The First Amendment does not say what you think it says.

It says exactly what i think it says,  which is the same as what you think it says.

He's safe in one situation pertaining to his stupidity,  but not in another. 

The irony is he should know better due his profession. 

Edited by loyal2dagame

1 hour ago, Logic said:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people fail to comprehend what the first amendment actually says, and what it actually protects.

There seems to be this notion that "free speech" means "protected from any and all potential consequences, including being let go by a privately owned business because you're hurting their bottom line".

Any time a company says "you're not worth the trouble you're causing our company with your comments or actions, so we're letting you go", many conflate it with an "infringement on free speech" and scream about cancel culture. In actuality, it's just an example of free market capitalism in its purest form. No more, no less.

Many of the people that scream the loudest about the constitution have never actually read it.

It reminds me of when Hank Williams Jr. cited the 1st Amendment when he and all his rowdy friends got kicked off Monday Night.

How'd that lawsuit go?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

I don’t like Sullivan.  He tries to ask gotcha question of the players and make himself the story.  It got old for me a long time ago.

I also don’t think what he said was a firing offense.  People who are piling on and cheering his firing better remember that it might someday be them at the end of the mob’s pitchfork because of something they say.

I think people should be able to acknowledge that someone said something stupid without demanding their destruction.

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, teef said:

this is about as much fun as the local dentist that threw a juneteenth party this year.

My daughter and their son were classmates for a few years.

The wife's press conference was a sight to behold.

26 pages in and I still care absolutely nothing about this other than to say I love that today's day and age provides an a media story from a media member. I don't care at all about him, this story, or everyone pretending it's a story.

Not acting like I'm better than this story or it's beneath me or whatever the issue is or is not important enough for me. I just don't care what he has to say and only know it was about women from seeing some chatter. To me he's just some dude who has no significance in my life or the greater world. 

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

26 pages in and I still care absolutely nothing about this other than to say I love that today's day and age provides an a media story from a media member. I don't care at all about him, this story, or everyone pretending it's a story.

Not acting like I'm better than this story or it's beneath me or whatever the issue is or is not important enough for me. I just don't care what he has to say and only know it was about women from seeing some chatter. To me he's just some dude who has no significance in my life or the greater world. 

a whole lotta words for something you don't care at all about.  lol. jk, man.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, BRH said:

My daughter and their son were classmates for a few years.

The wife's press conference was a sight to behold.

it was amazing wasn't it?  i never met the guy, but i'm friends with a rep who called on him for years.  the rep was shocked and said he was the nicest guy.

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

All these snarky media types should take notice.  One transgression online or on social media you could lose your career and everything else.

Unless you're a successful NFL QB, in which case you can not only make comments against women but also be sexually abusive to them and STILL keep your job

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

I do kinda agree with him on this point. It is unfortunate that one stupid and offensive comment can ruin all the positives a person has done. That’s what bothers me with mob rule. Every single person lambasting Sullivan for his stupid comment has undoubtably said something equally as stupid and offensive in their life as well. And 99% of them did not lose their livelihoods over it.

"Some of my best friends are black"

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

I do kinda agree with him on this point. It is unfortunate that one stupid and offensive comment can ruin all the positives a person has done. That’s what bothers me with mob rule. Every single person lambasting Sullivan for his stupid comment has undoubtably said something equally as stupid and offensive in their life as well. And 99% of them did not lose their livelihoods over it.

"I can drop the N bomb because I have black friends and have defended them."  What is the difference between the two?

3 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Unless you're a successful NFL QB, in which case you can not only make comments against women but also be sexually abusive to them and STILL keep your job

Yet another case where The Onion was closer to reality than to satire:

https://www.theonion.com/nation-forgives-harvey-weinstein-after-he-gets-really-g-1849876525

Nation Forgives Harvey Weinstein After He Gets Really Good At Football

LOS ANGELES—The American people have reportedly forgiven Harvey Weinstein Wednesday after discovering the disgraced mogul has gotten really good at football. “I don’t condone what Harvey did, but man, that guy can run like a demon,” said 38-year-old homemaker Sara Reese ...

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Unfortunately I have seen a lot of this stuff (fortunately I’ve never been the subject of it).  Where someone gets “cancelled” it is almost always a situation where everyone already had their knives out for the person and the transgression, however minor, was used as an opportunity to kill them off.  Maybe unfair punishment for the particular event but usually a fair outcome for the individual.  This strikes me as being in that category.  The good guys get second chances (usually, not always).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, teef said:

it was amazing wasn't it?  i never met the guy, but i'm friends with a rep who called on him for years.  the rep was shocked and said he was the nicest guy.

I mean, I didn’t know him well, and I don’t want to be that guy who says, “yeah, you could tell all along.”  But living where I do, I know a lot of “country club nice” people who are well-mannered and friendly (as long as they get everything they want) but have troglodytic views and opinions.  

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Cut him some slack, people. He's probably salty about his daughter's very visible work out in Vegas. Seems like the uptight type who might let this kind of thing gnaw away at him, and then take it out on a family pet, or Josh Allen.

SmartSelect_20221214_213944_Instagram.jpg

Does she work at The Heart Attack Grill?    The beatings those women give you if you don't finish the burger are no joke.

• Agree 1

I could only imagine that if this board started cancelling posters for dumb misogynistic comments, what percentage that would be, let alone the people on this thread flaming away.

I’m no fan of Sullivan’s brand of journalism and his comments were silly but the delight so many of us feel in others’ destruction is bizarre to me.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.