Updated Beasley signing to practice squad

Niagara Dude

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I also watch the games. A chip before route counts as a route doesn’t it. 

ooo I agree Josh isn’t seeing things well. That still doesn’t take away from the trash OL though. They don’t get a pass because Josh isn’t seeing the field well therefore cannot cover up the immediate Spencer Brown turnstile block. 

RB's and TE's who chip aren't capable of being quality pass catchers? 

I am not giving a pass to the OL. I am not saying he doesn't have blocking responsibilities. But yours and others assertion that Knox isn't effective in the passing game because of "blocking" is waaaaaay overblow. Based on the numbers of routes run, and time spent lining up our wide, he isn't effective as a pass catcher because of the QB not because of lack of opportunity. 

2 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

The whining about Cole’s signing…

The over-sensitivity to whining…

Both sides are exhausting. Definitely a very different thread than when Brown was brought back.

I hope Cole has enough in the tank for a few clutch first down grabs. That might be all the Bills need to win the big one.

I find it quite refreshing since everyone on TBD gets along so well. 😂

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I also watch the games. A chip before route counts as a route doesn’t it. 

ooo I agree Josh isn’t seeing things well. That still doesn’t take away from the trash OL though. They don’t get a pass because Josh isn’t seeing the field well therefore cannot cover up the immediate Spencer Brown turnstile block. 

I look at it this way.  When was the last time we saw Josh stand in the pocket, flat-footed and unmolested, and unleash a rope in the middle of the field?  It’s been awhile.  He’s under too much duress.  Some of this is scheme (can’t throw it at somebody’s back, and maybe a couple of boots, rollouts, or an effective screen game to get the DL moving side to side and running around a bit might help), but most of it is poor OL play.  

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

RB's and TE's who chip aren't capable of being quality pass catchers? 

I am not giving a pass to the OL. I am not saying he doesn't have blocking responsibilities. But yours and others assertion that Knox isn't effective in the passing game because of "blocking" is waaaaaay overblow. Based on the numbers of routes run, and time spent lining up our wide, he isn't effective as a pass catcher because of the QB not because of lack of opportunity. 

And I also acknowledged josh being part of the issue with Knox 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

I was at the game Sunday, so when I go I re-watch later in the week because you miss so much live.

I saw the condensed game yesterday and got through half the all-22 this AM before work and there are some plays Josh keeps alive by being Josh. But man, he really has been forcing so many tough throws. He ended two drives in Q1 by literally throwing away to balls rather than hitting Cook or Hines who were both open underneath.

Protection was particularly bad Sunday, but he didn't do himself a lot of favors. 

He is the most talented QB in the league, and I think that causes him to try and do too much at times. I have been waiting for him to pull himself out and have a "get right game" and he just hasn't been able to.  I am assuming he knows this too and that is why he specifically asked for Brown and Beasley to come back.  

We see a receiver open and fail to understand that at that same time Josh is getting out of collapsing pocket, or juklng a blitzer in an effort to extend the play. There are many moving parts and all of them are important towards making the offense flow. I think Josh makes up for a helluva lot of the deficiencies but there is absolutely a limit to how much he can make up for. A degree of deficiency in the Oline and a degree of deficiency in the WRs and a degree of deficiency in the coordinator, all add up. Add to this Josh's elbow injury and we've got what we've got.

Josh has probably reached the limit to what he can do, to make up for the degrees of deficiencies this offense is experiencing. He needs some help. He needs more help than what he's getting from the OL and other skill players. If the Oline can limit the sacks/rushes by a couple of game; if Josh can throw a better pass a couple times each game; if the WRs can limit the drops by a couple a game, I think we see a much more proficient offense than we've been seeing.

I think there's a hope Beas can help towards this goal. He and Josh have a relationship, he knows the offense, I think it helps.

21 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

McKenzie is my only disappointment. And as you note, to some extent Davis, but he plays a vastly different spot.

Cook, Hines, and Shakir I put on the coaching staff. No reason that NONE of those guys can be performing better. ONE of them should be coachable.

McKenzie wasn't ready for full time slot duties. He isn't that type of player. He is a gadget 4th WR that comes in and makes that crucial specially designed at for a first down. People label him a gadget player like it's a bad thing. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I look at it this way.  When was the last time we saw Josh stand in the pocket, flat-footed and unmolested, and unleash a rope in the middle of the field?  It’s been awhile.  He’s under too much duress.  Some of this is scheme (can’t throw it at somebody’s back, and maybe a couple of boots, rollouts, or an effective screen game to get the DL moving side to side and running around a bit might help), but most of it is poor OL play.  

And their answer will be more one year deals for players previously cut.  Because you know will need to have more DL and defense again

• Like (+1) 1

I've never seen a player more ridiculed for standing up for his personal beliefs.  I just don't understand.  Don't agree with his views on things?  Who the heck cares!  People should be able to live their lives not having random people yelling at them because they feel a different way about something.  Makes no sense and it's just stupid.

As for the move itself, we'll see what happens.  The guy definitely doesn't have the same juice he had a couple years ago. But the fact is, he may not need to in order to help this team.  If it's 3rd or 4th and 2 and he catches the ball and falls down for 2 or 3 yards and moves the chains, that is an upgrade to someone open 15 yards down the field that drops the ball more often than they catch it.  Sure, it won't look pretty, but even 1-2 new sets of downs during a game could make a huge impact on the results of a game.  There's literally no harm in trying this out.  Worst case is that it doesn't work out and the guy can't play.  No different than the current guys on this team dropping passes in important situations.  Best case is that he comes in in certain situations and either makes a play himself or draws enough attention to make it easier on someone else to make a play.  Sounds like we will find out soon enough.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, boyst said:

McKenzie wasn't ready for full time slot duties. He isn't that type of player. He is a gadget 4th WR that comes in and makes that crucial specially designed at for a first down. People label him a gadget player like it's a bad thing. 

This. 

McKenzie isn't a bad player. 

McKenzie is a bad starting slot wide receiver in a pass heavy offense. 

No reason why he can't help us, now, as WR4 and in the gadget role.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

This. 

Does Dorsey have those plays in the playbook?

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This. 

He's not a bad slot receiver. He's in a bad scheme to his strengths. There aren't many teams that could use him. You'd need a good TE to help put someone else in the slot to draw your coverage from a LB in the seam. The Ravens would be a good fit. 

Or you'd need a RB that makes the other team avoid nickel and dime all of the time to use a 11 package where both are respected but they can run. The Browns are an example. McKenzie would be good there . 

I'm all for Bease coming back. Should open up the middle of the field again. As much as they've failed to address WR in the offseason, it seems they're going all in on trying to patch it up - even if that means bringing in a guy that I'm sure isn't on the top of McD's "fav Lockeroom guys" list. 

Well they have tried... Hopefully we get it right next year. 

WR:

Davis - 4th round

Hodgins - 6th round

Stevenson - 6th round

Shakir - 5th round

Free agents and trades: Brown, Beasley, Crowder, Sanders, Benjamin, McK

RB:

Singletary - 3rd round

Moss - 3rd round

Cook - 2nd round

Free agents and trades: Hines, Johnson, Breida, Yeldon

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I'm all for Bease coming back. Should open up the middle of the field again. As much as they've failed to address WR in the offseason, it seems they're going all in on trying to patch it up - even if that means bringing in a guy that I'm sure isn't on the top of McD's "fav Lockeroom guys" list. 

Who else is available?

38 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

They made a mistake, Beasley was most likely looking for a bigger deal in the off season. 

But that's what makes it not a mistake.  It certainly appears to have centered on a disagreement over salary.  And it's safe to say they got both Brown and Beas back at significantly less than the $6M-$8M that it was originally going to take to retain either of them.

Add to that they get them back mid-season, healthy, and without the wear and tear of 13 games that erodes the older players.

The original poster who was trying to frame this as some type of Beane mistake is on a Beane haterade crusade.

• Agree 1

Just now, ngbills said:

WR:

Davis - 4th round

Hodgins - 6th round

Stevenson - 6th round

Shakir - 5th round

RB:

Singletary - 3rd round

Moss - 3rd round

Cook - 2nd round

Now do the defense for comparison.  Maybe it is time to look for offense before the 3rd round

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Does Dorsey have those plays in the playbook?

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This. 

Should play 5-10 snaps. Guy who is in motion a lot. Occasionally gets an end around or the quick out on a pick route. Maybe sprinkle in a cross or screen. You just want the D to have to at least account for him in that capacity. Much more valuable doing that than being your starting slot. 

• Agree 1

Just now, ngbills said:

Should play 5-10 snaps. Guy who is in motion a lot. Occasionally gets an end around or the quick out on a pick route. Maybe sprinkle in a cross or screen. You just want the D to have to at least account for him in that capacity. Much more valuable doing that than being your starting slot. 

Agree.  I just do not think Dorsey has that creativity in him is all.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I don't want to overstate the value of this.

I do not see this as a long term remarriage. I legit think that the Bills will try something else to fill the role this off-season. I stand by the decision to cut him. He wasn't worth the cap hit and he was clearly unhappy about something because he wanted a trade. 

This is one of those situations where a marriage falls apart and each side starts seeing other people only to find out the grass isn't as green on the other side. 

The Bills don't have a way to consistently keep drives going when teams move to bracket coverage on Diggs. Beasley has learned what the rest of the league values him at.

And I feel dirty saying this, but I think this helps our Super Bowl chances more than rolling the dice on OBJ at this point. 

Can you take your dirty feelings to PPP ? 

He’s just a wide receiver.   It’s not that deep.  

12 minutes ago, boyst said:

He's not a bad slot receiver. He's in a bad scheme to his strengths. There aren't many teams that could use him. You'd need a good TE to help put someone else in the slot to draw your coverage from a LB in the seam. The Ravens would be a good fit. 

Or you'd need a RB that makes the other team avoid nickel and dime all of the time to use a 11 package where both are respected but they can run. The Browns are an example. McKenzie would be good there . 

If you’re a slot wr who’s a bad fit for most offenses, it seems that questions how good you are.  

If you need to go to a specific scheme to be a good slot, that probably is because you’re a gadget player. 

18 minutes ago, sven233 said:

I've never seen a player more ridiculed for standing up for his personal beliefs.  I just don't understand.  Don't agree with his views on things?  Who the heck cares!  People should be able to live their lives not having random people yelling at them because they feel a different way about something.  Makes no sense and it's just stupid.

As for the move itself, we'll see what happens.  The guy definitely doesn't have the same juice he had a couple years ago. But the fact is, he may not need to in order to help this team.  If it's 3rd or 4th and 2 and he catches the ball and falls down for 2 or 3 yards and moves the chains, that is an upgrade to someone open 15 yards down the field that drops the ball more often than they catch it.  Sure, it won't look pretty, but even 1-2 new sets of downs during a game could make a huge impact on the results of a game.  There's literally no harm in trying this out.  Worst case is that it doesn't work out and the guy can't play.  No different than the current guys on this team dropping passes in important situations.  Best case is that he comes in in certain situations and either makes a play himself or draws enough attention to make it easier on someone else to make a play.  Sounds like we will find out soon enough.

That’s not the issue.  He left not because of his beliefs, but because he couldn’t keep them in check at and relative to his place of employment.  Them’s the breaks, as they say.  

So long as he’s a team player and can contribute a bit, I’m glad he’s back.  He’s one of us, irrespective of what he does or not believe relative to the now-academic issue in question.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

Agreed. Outside of Diggs (I know he wasn’t drafted high), our offense is devoid of 1st/2nd round talent. 

Just Diggs (in trade) and Allen.  

2018 - 1st on QB, 1st on LBer 3rd-5th on Defense

2019 1st on DT 2-3rd on offense

2020 1st on DE then offense

2021 1st and 2nd on DE (so we used 2 first and a 2nd and STILL had to give a 100M to a DE)

2022 - 1st on CB

I wish the offense has those type assets on it.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

WR:

Davis - 4th round

Hodgins - 6th round

Stevenson - 6th round

Shakir - 5th round

RB:

Singletary - 3rd round

Moss - 3rd round

Cook - 2nd round

4,5,6 rds seems more like wishing/hoping. You try and go get playmakers!! You don't wait for them to drop into your lap. I'm sorry, but offensive linemen aren't playmakers. They're pieces to mold. I wouldn't use an early pick on an offensive lineman ever!! 

12 minutes ago, ngbills said:

WR:

Davis - 4th round

Hodgins - 6th round

Stevenson - 6th round

Shakir - 5th round

RB:

Singletary - 3rd round

Moss - 3rd round

Cook - 2nd round

Geez when you look at this, and add in the O line, it's kind of shocking what little resources we have put around Josh. And still be one of the best offenses says so much about his talent. But wow we really have to focus on O the next few off seasons

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, SCBills said:

If you’re a slot wr who’s a bad fit for most offenses, it seems that questions how good you are.  

If you need to go to a specific scheme to be a good slot, that probably is because you’re a gadget player. 

Marquise Goodwin is a good example of specific traits of WRs make a difference. The game has more nuance at the position than ever before. 

How similar are Cooper Kupp, juju Smith (I don't respect hyphenated names so I don't use them), Tyreek hill, Robert woods, Adam Thielen?  All slot WRs. 

Its a very dynamic position to describe because often times teams take their limited route runners to the slot and coach them to the open areas. These WRs seldom succeed on the outside due to many factors.

I love football xs and os so if you want it could really break this down. But I hate the names of erhmantrout Perkins offense, or kgun, etc. So I just describe football

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

WE LEAD THE NFL IN DROPS.

If anyone is confused why we added Cole to the PS then check above and read that three times to yourself again.

Or…read below:

WE DON'T LEAD THE NFL IN DROPS (Green bay does, with 30)

WE RANK 6th IN DROP PERCENTAGE (6.4%)

TAKE AWAY McKENZIE'S DROPS AND WE'RE AT THE NFL AVERAGE (5.2%)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.