Observation on Tre vs the Jets

Bubba Gump

I was at the game and between me and the two guys I sit next to all noticed something with Tre. The weather sucked and the field was obviously wet. Tre seemed to be playing real soft coverage and was giving their WRs plenty of room. We were curious as to whether Tre was trying to protect himself from having to make major cuts on the wet field. He still had a decent game, but still seemed to play a little scared. Anyone else notice this?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

I was at the game and between me and the two guys I sit next to all noticed something with Tre. The weather sucked and the field was obviously wet. Tre seemed to be playing real soft coverage and was giving their WRs plenty of room. We were curious as to whether Tre was trying to protect himself from having to make major cuts on the wet field. He still had a decent game, but still seemed to play a little scared. Anyone else notice this?

I noticed that he seemed to be a little tentative.

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

If only we had drafted a CB in the first round this year to help out, with Tre coming off a serious injury…

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

It may take a while for Tre to get back close to what he was, but I have little doubt that he will succeed.

Hopefully by the end of the regular season, he will be 95% or better.

We are going to need him to be at least that, come playoff time.

Edited by HunTim
Typo

5 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Contrary to what was being said in the game day thread, Tre'Davious White was NOT getting burned.

Yes, he gave up some receptions, but he was in good coverage for the most part.

Unless one knows what pass coverage they were playing, impossible to say one way or the other. 

They played a lot of soft man coverage against the Jets. Tre is good not great when in man, he excels in zone. Saying that, for it being man most of the day, I thought he did well. 

Watching the Chargers play press man agains the Dolphins and shutting them down, I think we will see more of the same this coming weekend.

3 hours ago, HunTim said:

It may take a while for Tre to get back close to what he was, but I have little doubt that he will succeed.

Hopefully by the end of the regular season, he will be 95% or better.

We are going to need him to be at least that, come playoff time.

I agree We Need Tre  back close to 100% for the playoffs! Go Bills!

• Agree 1

A couple things here, the field was wet, he’s playing against guys that are faster than he is when he’s 110%, safe is the right word, but I don’t necessarily think it’s him protecting himself as much as it is making sure one mis-step isn’t a touchdown.  He did miss an obvious read late in the game when the Jets were playing to the sidelines, he broke inside, was really shocked to see him make a “mental error” of the sort, but overall he played well.  

Keeping in mind this is really his “pre-season”, you also need to remember he doesn’t always start off real fast either, the year after his contract people were calling for his head because he wasn’t shutting people down the first 4 games of the year.  He needs to get in the flow more.

Scheme wise, he’s never been fast, probably isn’t full speed and we are missing safety help, plus the AFC East has become a track meet, expect him to play soft per coaching for the majority of the year.

7 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Yes everyone talking about how the guy who just returned from a year off football recovering from the worst injury an athlete can have looks a little bit off after pressuring the coach and team to start him for weeks when they were saying he wasnt ready.

That’s not even close to the worst injury an athlete can have

• Like (+1) 1

He was a bit soft but I think that was more coaching and maybe a bit hesitant on his end because of the field conditions 

I think I noticed Tre twice in coverage all day and the 1 catch , an out route on 3rd down where he was a second late was the only catch that I was upset with and maybe he breaks it up or picks it last year. But I think within a couple weeks he'll make that play. 

But otherwise I barely noticed him and that's a great thing for a CB. I mean I believe this was his first full game and he'll be his All Pro self right in time for the playoffs. So glad he's back 

• Agree 1

I recall noticing a bunch of Cover 3 Buzz with Milano or another underneath defender.  HIstory tells us that McDermott is a C3 heavy defense so in that defense, the corners job is to make sure #1 is not going deep first.  It is a relatively softer coverage and susceptible to hitch and shorter outside routes.  Tre has always been very good at reading routes and breaking quickly on shorter ones.  He may just be a half a step slow right now but he's slowly ramping it up.  He's going to be fine. 

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Any comments about Dane?.. 

He seemed to pick it up late. I think he's a guy that doesn't have the tools, so in the end he gives up his share of completions but does a good job when he's able to attack a receiver in front of him in zone.

6 minutes ago, TN Bills Fan said:

He’s a safety next year.  Lost a touch of speed.

What brand stopwatch do you use?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Honestly kinda tired of all the apologies for a guy that makes over 15 mil a season. Was he playing soft cover because of the weather and afraid of getting burned? Maybe, and until he's 100% I can live with it if Poyer is backing it up. 

What I saw yesterday was a little too much caution when it came to contact. In the 4th there was a receiver coming off a screen coming down the side line with a head of steam and Tre made a matador move and let the safety have it. He wanted no part of that.

All that being said, I'm glad he's back cause we definitely need him down the stretch.

Edited by billsbackto81

9 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Yes everyone talking about how the guy who just returned from a year off football recovering from the worst injury an athlete can have looks a little bit off after pressuring the coach and team to start him for weeks when they were saying he wasnt ready.

Can stop with the sarcasm?  It is a legitimate football question. You can simply say "I think the coaching staff pressured him to return early and shouldn't have" without insulting the person making an observation.   No need to attack each other in this forum.

• Agree 1

He gave a ton of cushion yesterday. Which was perfect. The only way Bills lose that game is if the Jets hit a big play due to a defender falling down. He played safe and they got few if any big plays. Even on the receptions he gave up on in breaking routes he was right there. Perfect throws beat perfect coverage. If a few of those throws are off just a bit he can make a play on the ball. 

Hope for more of the same this Saturday. White never had the speed to keep up with Hill before the injury.  Just avoid getting beat deep and Bills will be fine.

I'm sure Tre is struggling mentally with trusting his knee and his abilities.  Hopefully he's getting a little better every week.  Just think how often we would hear Tre White in interviews since he got here.. and all his playful goofiness.  We haven't heard a peep from him since he had his injury. 

12 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

This is why many of us advocated for needing to address CB in the draft because even once a player returns from an ACL, it often can take until the next season before they really get all the way back.  There is a mental aspect that is as important as the physical rehab portion to where a player can trust and play instinctively again versus having thoughts in the back of their mind not to hurt it again.  

Tre may find his form again this season, but there is no guarantee of that.  I am confident long term he will be fine, but it's hard to predict when he can really find that sweet spot again where he plays freely without regard for his previous injury.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.