A loss against the Vikings will reshape the entire AFC landscape and playoff picture

FilthyBeast

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

the #1 seed picture won't. it's a fair bet to say that's off the table.

Neither #1 seed went to the SB last year.  The NFC #1 seed didnt goto the SB the year before.  The AFC #1 seed didnt goto the SB the year before that. etc. etc. etc.  Nor is it fair to say its off the table.

Edited by Scott7975

This Vikings defense doesn't hold a candle to the Jets D. They can win with Keenum. I personally think Baltimore and Cincy are ahead of KC now. Time will prove. But when a guy is 84 percent of your offense it's likely he's going to break down at some point. They need a runner. There's no shame in drafting one first if he can carry a load cause it protects your qb as much as a left tacklle.

5 minutes ago, gridirongold said:

This Vikings defense doesn't hold a candle to the Jets D. They can win with Keenum. I personally think Baltimore and Cincy are ahead of KC now. Time will prove. But when a guy is 84 percent of your offense it's likely he's going to break down at some point. They need a runner. There's no shame in drafting one first if he can carry a load cause it protects your qb as much as a left tacklle.

They need to block for and commit to the runners they have.  They also need to protect the QB they have.  Drafting a runner without fixing the offensive line which remains the weak link 3 years running is destined for more of the same.

• Agree 1

Just now, Jauronimo said:

They need to block for and commit to the runners they have.  They also need to protect the QB they have.  Drafting a runner without fixing the offensive line which remains the weak link 3 years running is destined for more of the same.

They'd never win that many games with a bad offensive line. The way they flag these games the fantasy football era is over. The bruising rusher is back en vogue. These guys are all passing down backs.

21 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

And end up on the road in KC. Again.

I can see the concern of going into Arrowhead for the playoffs. Home field would be awesome, not just to give the team the advantage but for the fan base as well. But it's not the end of the world if it doesn't happen. Josh has proven he can win in Arrowhead albeit regular season. His numbers are pretty impressive there. I'd like to see what Mahomes can do on the road for once with a hostile environment raining down on him.

11 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I can see the concern of going into Arrowhead for the playoffs. Home field would be awesome, not just to give the team the advantage but for the fan base as well. But it's not the end of the world if it doesn't happen. Josh has proven he can win in Arrowhead albeit regular season. His numbers are pretty impressive there. I'd like to see what Mahomes can do on the road for once with a hostile environment raining down on him.

Mahomes’ numbers on the road are better than at Arrowhead.  I do like that the Bills have at least proven they can win there.

I know that people are reading this thread as nothing but "negative" fans complaining, but it's a very legitimate discussion.

I've seen many comments about us resting players to make sure we are more healthy for the postseason.  But I think it's very short-sighted to just assume we are going to coast through the rest of our schedule at 75% effort and make the playoffs.  This team could easily drop from the #1 seed to the outside looking in, even before our Thanksgiving game.

9 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

It comes down to the safeties. Hamlin is a JAG, Jaquan is junq. When Frazier has the horses to go man up he lets the opponent run free through zone holes, then asks Siran Neal to plaster. You just saw what Garrett Freakin' Wilson did to the secondary, what do you think Justin Jefferson is going to do?

Tre White, nuff said!

10 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I know that people are reading this thread as nothing but "negative" fans complaining, but it's a very legitimate discussion.

I've seen many comments about us resting players to make sure we are more healthy for the postseason.  But I think it's very short-sighted to just assume we are going to coast through the rest of our schedule at 75% effort and make the playoffs.  This team could easily drop from the #1 seed to the outside looking in, even before our Thanksgiving game.

No one is suggesting we coast. You also need the context of the poster to understand that this isn't a random person creating a topic of discussion. This is a troll who loves to discuss the potential of the Bills failing and the Dolphins rising.

#1 seed might now be a pipe dream with 6 games left against teams currently with winning record 

Tua impressing in Miami

Is there any circumstances you would move on from McDermott after 2022? 
 Quietly the Dolphins are the 2nd hottest team in the AFC right now (2021)

Time to go on record if you honestly believe this is still a SB caliber team or even a playoff team at this point (2021)

Edited by What a Tuel

18 hours ago, The Red King said:

Um...

Buff's third trip to the Super Bowl was as a Wild Card.  Your argument is invalid.  They needed to win a home and then two road playoff games to get there.

No my argument is valid because 3 of 4 years they had homefield throughout, just as the Pats and Chiefs examples.

If this team has proven they can win on the road in the playoffs it's be one thing, but they can't and why any path to a SB this year needs to go through Orchard Park.

9 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

The 92 Bills beat the Oilers at home, the comeback game. Then went on the road for wins at Steelers & Dolphins. They won on the road as a WC

I'm well aware of that, my point is that in the 3 other trips they didn't. Just like the Patriots in almost all of their 9 trips to the SB with Brady.

55 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Nah guy, just realistic about the team's chances in that playoff house of horrors.

Back to your obliviousness, kid

You’re not being realistic, you go immediately to worst case scenario. You assume all bad will happen to the Bills and then also assume that the teams around the Bills are all somehow going to go undefeated the rest of the season. maybe that makes you feel better about yourself, but there’s not a lot of reality in what you’re saying. If you were being realistic, you would’ve broken down the other teams like you have the Bills, you will see that they have ugly wins and/or losses, and you’d be objective about what you’re seeing. Granted, being objective for anyone on here is not likely, but the way you and some others are handling these threads after the Jets loss is making you guys look bitter

5 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

You’re not being realistic, you go immediately to worst case scenario. You assume all bad will happen to the Bills and then also assume that the teams around the Bills are all somehow going to go undefeated the rest of the season. maybe that makes you feel better about yourself, but there’s not a lot of reality in what you’re saying. If you were being realistic, you would’ve broken down the other teams like you have the Bills, you will see that they have ugly wins and/or losses, and you’d be objective about what you’re seeing. Granted, being objective for anyone on here is not likely, but the way you and some others are handling these threads after the Jets loss is making you guys look bitter

I'd feel a lot better if the offense was at least functional. Past game and a half it hasn't been. 

4 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I'd feel a lot better if the offense was at least functional. Past game and a half it hasn't been. 

Case is probably starting this week.  I need to see what that looks like.

Of course not to start a contiversy.....just to know how everyone else reacts in that scenario

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

No my argument is valid because 3 of 4 years they had homefield throughout, just as the Pats and Chiefs examples.

If this team has proven they can win on the road in the playoffs it's be one thing, but they can't and why any path to a SB this year needs to go through Orchard Park.

I'm well aware of that, my point is that in the 3 other trips they didn't. Just like the Patriots in almost all of their 9 trips to the SB with Brady.

Homefield is absolutely neccisary...except for that year it wasn't, but just forget about that.  You can't present four years as evidence and then hand-wave away 25% of the example you yourself provided.

6 hours ago, gridirongold said:

People say this rushing offense is so bad, but have they really actually tried running with any consistency? You can’t expect that when they play call runs so sporadically. I mean Singletary actually has a fairly high average yards gained. I think Dorsey can scheme up something. It’s just Josh is so damn good so why take a chance and mess with that when we are scoring points pretty consistently? 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

30 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Can’t tell if serious or sarcasm. 

5 minutes ago, The Red King said:

I'd think one less chance for elimination and the ravenous home crowd, but what do I know?

If this team is unable to effectively pass the football they lose.  It's as simple as that. 

However ravenous the crowd may be, it's not going to stop balls from fluttering in the wind.

27 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

If this team is unable to effectively pass the football they lose.  It's as simple as that. 

However ravenous the crowd may be, it's not going to stop balls from fluttering in the wind.

But...wouldn't both teams be playing in the same weather?  Balls would be fluttering for the opponents as well?  More so because their QB won't have Allen's howitzer of an arm.

Still not seeing the logic here.

After losing to the Jets and Dolphins in the way they did, I’m not sure you can just say the Bills will run the table even if Josh plays. Vikings have a solid run game and playmakers on offense. Without Josh, I don’t see the Bills winning. Cleveland won’t be an easy game, Detroit can score and the Pats play tough D and have a solid running game. This team has had way too many injuries and it’s having an impact. For all the draft picks and money invested in the DL, they’re not imposing their will. Additionally they continue to make way too many self inflicted mistakes. The loss to the Jets was almost identical to last years loss to the Jags. I was hoping we’ve learned but evidently we didn’t. Similar to how we let KC score a FG right before half again. 

The D has yet to really dominate this year. Heck even Pickett had 300 yards passing.

18 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

After losing to the Jets and Dolphins in the way they did, I’m not sure you can just say the Bills will run the table even if Josh plays. Vikings have a solid run game and playmakers on offense. Without Josh, I don’t see the Bills winning. Cleveland won’t be an easy game, Detroit can score and the Pats play tough D and have a solid running game. This team has had way too many injuries and it’s having an impact. For all the draft picks and money invested in the DL, they’re not imposing their will. Additionally they continue to make way too many self inflicted mistakes. The loss to the Jets was almost identical to last years loss to the Jags. I was hoping we’ve learned but evidently we didn’t. Similar to how we let KC score a FG right before half again. 

The D has yet to really dominate this year. Heck even Pickett had 300 yards passing.

I don’t think anyone is claiming they would run the table-not sure that’s would be said even if they beat the jets. It’s the amount of doom and gloom around this place that is ridiculous!

also, that’s a super weak argument WRT Pickett….38-3 and you still have something negative to say? Weak 

40 minutes ago, The Red King said:

But...wouldn't both teams be playing in the same weather?  Balls would be fluttering for the opponents as well?  More so because their QB won't have Allen's howitzer of an arm.

Still not seeing the logic here.

Other teams can commit to and run the football, the Bills - not so much.

• Agree 1

On 11/10/2022 at 7:08 PM, Bimmer323i said:

I hope I’m wrong but from what I’ve seen of Keenum in a Bills uniform I have 0 faith in him to win us a game while 17 is healing up….

You are basing this on what? Preseason snaps with guys no longer in the NFL? 

He could be awful, he could be adequate, or he could be good. That's the story with just about every backup QB in the league.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He could be awful, he could be adequate, or he could be good. That's the story with just about every backup QB in the league.

Granted… there were times he didn’t good in the preseason.  But he did look the best when he was playing with the first team offense.  

Also, if you check out Keenum’s career numbers, including last season, they are pretty decent for a backup QB.  

With that being said, the Bills collectively are going to step up in just about every facet with Josh out.  They can’t afford to get behind on the scoreboard or to give up short fiends on bad turnovers.  

But I don’t think they are automatically screwed if Josh has to sit the next few weeks.  

Case Keenum as you short-term (hopefully) starting QB2 is probably among the best scenarios you could ask for

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Granted… there were times he didn’t good in the preseason.  But he did look the best when he was playing with the first team offense.  

Also, if you check out Keenum’s career numbers, including last season, they are pretty decent for a backup QB.  

With that being said, the Bills collectively are going to step up in just about every facet with Josh out.  They can’t afford to get behind on the scoreboard or to give up short fiends on bad turnovers.  

But I don’t think they are automatically screwed if Josh has to sit the next few weeks.  

Case Keenum as you short-term (hopefully) starting QB2 is probably among the best scenarios you could ask for

Agree. Supposedly we have a great defense when healthy. If Milano and White are back they should be able to keep Minn under 28. Hoping for a 27 24 Bills win. Will probably need some luck to pull it off if Keenum plays.

Would be nice to have an opposing kicker miss a FG or two as well....

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I would suggest best case scenario is for him to average out at .500 over his string of starts.

I think he'll play 2 games, loss against Vikings, maybe get a W against Cleveland...there's your .500 record and then Josh is ready to go again.

That's about right for most backups in this league.

They'll "win you one" but they'll also "lose you one."

• Vomit 1

28 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I would suggest best case scenario is for him to average out at .500 over his string of starts.

I think he'll play 2 games, loss against Vikings, maybe get a W against Cleveland...there's your .500 record and then Josh is ready to go again.

That's about right for most backups in this league.

They'll "win you one" but they'll also "lose you one."

To paraphrase a famous Ted Marchiabroda comment “A backup QB will win yiu 3 games and lose you 3 games.”  

Still, as Joe B. pointed out the Bills are one of the most complete teams in the league and while the drop off to Case is legit, you have to hope the offense can help pick him up

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

because we have around a 5% chance of winning at Arrowhead in the postseason.  Maybe less.

Stop. Just stop. It is simply not true. "but playoffs" is a two game sample size in which we had far more than a 5% chance to win one of the two so what are you even talking about?

Edited by What a Tuel

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.