Josh Allen injury update(officially questionable - expected to start per Ian Rappaport)

Big Turk

1 minute ago, Process said:

Ok it won't get worse. But does playing stop or slow it from getting better? That's the question....

I’d guess it would slow it considerably but not stop it. Just a guess of course. That’s where the pain management and practice limitations come in. 

24 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Nothing cute about it.  NFC games only matter LESS when it comes to tie-breakers.  If you think the Bills can lose the NFC games and still win the division and the #1 seed, I have some Florida swamp land up ready for you to buy.

we could still drop all 3 NFC games and still be in decent shape to win the division, as long as we win our other 6 games.

This is all a moot point though… we’re going to crush the Bears and Lions, and probably win this Sunday against the Vikes as well.

IF it can heal properly with a couple weeks of rest, what is the debate here? You want him to be hurt all year? If Keenum goes out and wins the game Sunday everyone will be happy he’s resting. I think we can win this game with case. The 12th man better be louder than they were vs Green Bay I know that

2 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

we could still drop all 3 NFC games and still be in decent shape to win the division, as long as we win our other 6 games.

This is all a moot point though… we’re going to crush the Bears and Lions, and probably win this Sunday against the Vikes as well.

I realize they won't lose all 3 NFC games, but IMO the prize is still the #1 seed in the AFC, and in order to do that, they will probably have to go 13-4...maybe an outside chance at 12-5.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Success said:

It doesn't matter what we think here.  This coaching staff is cautious with injuries. If there is ANY doubt about long-term health, JA is not playing on Sunday.

And a non-conference game just isn't as important. 

Only problem here is the Jets and Dolphins are right behind them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Only problem here is the Jets and Dolphins are right behind them.

It's a problem - but they play both again, at home.  And I'd take our chances of getting more wins than either team the rest of the way, even if it's Keenum for a few starts.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Success said:

It doesn't matter what we think here.  This coaching staff is cautious with injuries. If there is ANY doubt about long-term health, JA is not playing on Sunday.

It isn't? Even in your tying scenario which ultimately winning games stops us from tying first and foremost, then common games are just the 3rd tie breaking scenario.

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

Dolphins lost to the vikings

Jets play the Vikings in Dec

So although NFC games "in a tie scenario" are less important, they are still common games played.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Process said:

Ok it won't get worse. But does playing stop or slow it from getting better? That's the question....

It's unlikely to effect him much from what the reports on how the UCL pertains to throwing the football are.

4 minutes ago, Success said:

A non-conference game isn't AS important, true.  But with how tight things are getting in the AFC seeding and the division, the margin for error is razor thin at this point.  All games matter at this point.  If the Bills were 8-0, I would be thinking, ok we can drop 2 or 3 of the next 4 and be ok.  But at this point with how jam packed the AFC is, we could be anywhere from the 1 to the 7 (or 8 or 9) see if we drop a few games over the next month.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Success said:

Oh no question. These guys were acting 50/50 with Tre White week 1 and now we are close to thanksgiving and the guy hasn’t played. They aren’t playing guys that aren’t like brand new health wise. It’s frustrating TBH

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Oh no question. These guys were acting 50/50 with Tre White week 1 and now we are close to thanksgiving and the guy hasn’t played. They aren’t playing guys that aren’t like brand new health wise. It’s frustrating TBH

That was likely due to the reputation Met Life's field has around the league and the growing concern with players and the NFLPA that it causes more injuries than normal.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

A non-conference game isn't AS important, true.  But with how tight things are getting in the AFC seeding and the division, the margin for error is razor thin at this point.  All games matter at this point.  If the Bills were 8-0, I would be thinking, ok we can drop 2 or 3 of the next 4 and be ok.  But at this point with how jam packed the AFC is, we could be anywhere from the 1 to the 7 (or 8 or 9) see if we drop a few games over the next month.

I can't walk you through the math right now but a while back it was demonstrated that losing non-conference games actually helps with the tie breakers come playoff seeding time.  Its not at all intuitive but hard to argue with the proof. Go in with an open mind and thank me later.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

The divide in this thread between "we can afford to drop an NFC game" and "we can't afford to drop ANY game!" seems to come down to a split in what is a realistic target/expectation for the Bills:

Some are looking mainly at winning the division, which will guarantee a playoff spot and keep the Bills out of the messy Wildcard race. In this case, it's true, a loss to an NFC opponent will matter less than losses to the Phins, Jets, or Pats, particularly considering the Bills are already 0-2 in the division.

Some, however, are still looking mainly at getting the AFC #1 seed, in which case EVERY loss hurts, with the Chiefs and Phins and Jets right on the Bills' heels in terms of record. 

It all comes down to how many games Josh might realistically be expected to miss. Unless I missed something, the various reports out there right now are not definitive. Until McDermott himself confirms something, we don't know how severe Josh's injury is or how many games it might keep him out of. If it's like his rookie year and he could realistically miss four games, then people should maybe start adjusting their expectations toward winning the division rather than worrying about securing the #1 seed. If the injury ISN'T serious and Josh is going to miss 0-2 games, then the #1 seed is certainly still in play.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Let's keep in mind this vikings team has the weakest strength of schedule and one of the weakest strength of victory.  Even thay is inflated based on beating a Bridgewater lead phins team. 

We can win this can even without allen. 

At home it's certainly a game the Bills can win. Should they win is a much harder question. Delvin Cook is a top RB who may just continue attacking the Bills suspect run D. Jefferson is a top 5 WR who the Bills have no one to stop him. The newly added Hockenson is dangerous as well. Cousins isn't elite but he's experienced. The Bills D had to rattle hom into mistakes. He is capable of sucking at a higher rate than lots of QBs. 

The Vikings Defense is pretty good. I believe they are around 10th in sacks and kind of play a bend but don't break defense. 

This will be no easy game for the Bills to win especially if Allen is out. A Bills win will require a rally of better team play on both sides of the ball. Winning in the trenches and playing a more conservative game. Almost like the Jets did to the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, newcam2012 said:

At home it's certainly a game the Bills can win. Should they win is a much harder question. Delvin Cook is a top RB who may just continue attacking the Bills suspect run D. Jefferson is a top 5 WR who the Bills have no one to stop him. The newly added Hockenson is dangerous as well. Cousins isn't elite but he's experienced. The Bills D had to rattle hom into mistakes. He is capable of sucking at a higher rate than lots of QBs. 

The Vikings Defense is pretty good. I believe they are around 10th in sacks and kind of play a bend but don't break defense. 

This will be no easy game for the Bills to win especially if Allen is out. A Bills win will require a rally of better team play on both sides of the ball. Winning in the trenches and playing a more conservative game. Almost like the Jets did to the Bills. 

Vikings underperform for the offensive talent they have and it's because of Cousins at QB.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Logic said:

The divide in this thread between "we can afford to drop an NFC game" and "we can't afford to drop ANY game!" seems to come down to a split in what is a realistic target/expectation for the Bills:

Some are looking mainly at winning the division, which will guarantee a playoff spot and keep the Bills out of the messy Wildcard race. In this case, it's true, a loss to an NFC opponent will matter less than losses to the Phins, Jets, or Pats, particularly considering the Bills are already 0-2 in the division.

Some, however, are still looking mainly at getting the AFC #1 seed, in which case EVERY loss hurts, with the Chiefs and Phins and Jets right on the Bills' heels in terms of record. 

It all comes down to how many games Josh might realistically be expected to miss. Unless I missed something, the various reports out there right now are not definitive. Until McDermott himself confirms something, we don't know how severe Josh's injury is or how many games it might keep him out of. If it's like his rookie year and he could realistically miss four games, then people should maybe start adjusting their expectations toward winning the division rather than worrying about securing the #1 seed. If the injury ISN'T serious and Josh is going to miss 0-2 games, then the #1 seed is certainly still in play.

If he does miss time, then I hope we do what the Cowboys did. Didn't they go 3-1 or 4-1 with Rush playing for Dak.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Anybody know what time McD will loosely answer questions regarding this topic and leave us all wondering why we bothered to tune in at all?

I got a small snippet from his speech and it involves "day to day."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ProcessYaDigg said:

This is why utilizing the ground game will be so important.  We have the pieces to run the ball.  All Keenum needs to do is manage the game.  

What pieces are those?  I don't think the OL is very good at run blocking and they aren't going to suddenly get better in 1 week.  They have been improving some from earlier in the season, but there is still a long way to go to be able to lean on the run.

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

Bottom line we need to right the ship regardless of who is playing QB.  (I personally think Josh will not miss a start.  You don't throw a pass 69.3 yards on the money if your elbow is seriously injured.)  Football is still a team game.  And yes Josh Allen when on his game is the best in the NFL.  (Sorry Mahomes.  Josh is just better.)  But the rest of the roster needs to step up.  As does the coaching.  We need to win every game we play at this point.  Baltimore Cincinnati Tennessee KC Chargers, the rest of our division are all playing well.  We need to embrace the challenge and bring our A game against the Vikings.  We need to start out fast, and set a tone.  Cousins can be rattled pretty easily.  Championship teams don't look as listless as we did in the last game and a half.  Need to change the mojo this week.   

If Allen is injured and can't play or play well, this game is fully up to the defense.  If they are healthy, I think the D can be very good, but they haven't been healthy yet.  Even if White plays, he will have rust and missing Micah Hyde really hurts.  If Poyer can't play, I think you'll see Dean Marlow instead of Jaquan Johnson and I definitely don't want to see more of Terrell Bernard after last week.

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

What pieces are those?  I don't think the OL is very good at run blocking and they aren't going to suddenly get better in 1 week.  They have been improving some from earlier in the season, but there is still a long way to go to be able to lean on the run.

Teams generally get better and more into a rhythm the more runs that are attempted. This unit can run block successfully if the team decided they were going to run it 30 times. Our sample size is so small compared to other teams if you take away Allen’s attempts on the year. They may not be elite like Phillys line but they’d have success. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.