Bills trade for Nyheim Hines

BLeonard

1 minute ago, Process said:

His contract is what really makes me question this trade. 

At the end of the day we gave up basically nothing so whatever. Just don't get the move at all. 

So Cook is the lead back next year, can he actually handle that role? Or are we going to have a 2nd round backup RB, $5M pass catching RB, and need to spend ANOTHER draft pick on a RB to be the lead guy?

Hines is a rental - there's a $0 out on his contract after this year. Look for us to sign a FA or draft a replacement for Singletary. I wouldn't be shocked if they pursued Jacobs in the offseason.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Ta111 said:

I don’t know why people don’t do a little research. Hines is a very good receiver but also a dynamic punt/kickoff returner. He fills several roles with the Bills.

Cool.  I didn't know this.  It would be nice if we didn't have to use McKenzie/Shakir in these roles, or if we could at least limit their ST plays.

3 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

2nd time you continue on with the 2 yards a carry nonsense. His workload this year is not representative of his ceiling. Just stop.

Capture.JPG

Well why isn't he getting a chance like other years and don't say Taylor. This is Taylor's 3rd year now. Seems to me he went from #2 RB to #3 RB this year is the answer. Him and Deon Jackson swapped spots this year.

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

No. They traded a day 3 pick plus a RB picked with a 3rd round pick(who never worked out).  So they traded a 3rd and a 5th for Hines, and then may let Singletary go in the off-season to FA...another 3rd round pick.

As for the bolded, no one knows what calls were made, or what the asking price were.  You only know that none were traded.

I think Singletary is a great fit ib the Bills offense. Unless they clearly get someone better I don't see him going anywhere. Hines isn't an upgrade to Motor. 

• Agree 2

Seems a bit odd to me, but we'll see.  Dorsey should be able to do some really creative things with him in the backfield.  Both he and Cook should be able to function like wide receivers.  Line both of them up in the backfield, then start moving them around.  I could see defensive coordinators scratching their heads.  Moss was doing nothing for the Bills.  On the flip side, the Bills went from having very little power running capability to having none outside their fullback, and they haven't trusted Gilliam much as a ball carrier to this point.

Edited by BigAl2526

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

McK has fumbled a kickoff without being touched. Lots of things happen when he touches the ball. Some of them are good. Some of them are not. They are always of high interest. This is not what I want in my return people. I will sacrifice significant upside to know for certain this offense is getting the ball back. In previous years we needed to steal a TD here and there in returns. This is not that year. Catch the ball, run forward rather than sideways, zero turnovers. That is my goal and if I'm honest zero turnovers comes before running forward. Fair catch everything IDGAF.

Yes.  I was getting pissed at McKenzie running the ball out of the end zone against the Packers this weekend.  Just take the touchback!  We don't need the variance.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Hines is a rental - there's a $0 out on his contract after this year. Look for us to sign a FA or draft a replacement for Singletary. I wouldn't be shocked if they pursued Jacobs in the offseason.

Agree

I don't think it is written in stone that Hines will be with the team in 2023. He is an improvement over Moss but that does not mean he is guarenteed a roster spot next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I really like this snag at the price of free. If we could trade a 6th round pick for Nyheim Hines every year I'd absolutely do that.

Just now, newcam2012 said:

I think Singletary is a great fit ib the Bills offense. Unless they clearly get someone better I don't see him going anywhere. Hines isn't an upgrade to Motor. 

Singletary is 100% gone in 4 months.

• Simon changed the title to Bills trade for Nyheim Hines

I really don't see this trade as improving the running game. He'll be no help whatsoever with the short yardage difficulties. Singletary is much better than he is, and we haven't seen enough of Cook to know whether he could do what Hines does. 

I'm with those who think Moss is going to show much better than Hines for the rest of their careers. As others have said, this leaves the Bills with zero power running option (not that Moss was tearing it up in that area). 

Edited by Dr. K
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

No. They traded a day 3 pick plus a RB picked with a 3rd round pick(who never worked out).  So they traded a 3rd and a 5th for Hines, and then may let Singletary go in the off-season to FA...another 3rd round pick.

As for the bolded, no one knows what calls were made, or what the asking price were.  You only know that none were traded.

If this is how you view this trade, god bless you for being alive this long 

Ben Affleck Rain GIF by Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice@DC Tom

• Haha (+1) 1

I think people are wrong on this who aren’t excited about this pickup.   This is a sneaky great signing.  Moss wasn’t doing anything for us.  We gave up almost nothing but landed a faster McCaffery-type who is a speed demon and durable back who can catch, return kicks and the like.  He and Cook sharing backfield duties will be unstoppable in the open field.  Minor cap hit but we probably won’t resign motor so it will be a wash.  Only reason people don’t think it’s amazing is because he’s been hidden behind Johnathan Taylor last few years. His potential in our offense is fantastic.  It’s really just a swap for Moss and a late round pick.  

Edited by Aurelius
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Just now, Dr. K said:

I really don't see this trade as improving the running game. He'll be no help whatsoever with the short yardage difficulties. Singletary is much better than he is, and we haven't seen enough of Cook to know whether he could do what Hines does. 

Its not exactly a vote of confidence for how they think Cook is developing..

2 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Well why isn't he getting a chance like other years and don't say Taylor. This is Taylor's 3rd year now. Seems to me he went from #2 RB to #3 RB this year is the answer. Him and Deon Jackson swapped spots this year.

Ok so Jonathan Taylor and Deon Jackson are better than Hines. Why is this an issue? 

It also ignores that the 2 yards a carry is a skewed average which was all I was pointing out because you keep repeating it.

2 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

You are way too focused on this year's stats.  Indys offense has fallen off a cliff.  This is an absolute steal.

He wasn't even the #2 RB on the Colts anymore. He was replaced by Deon Jackson which has resulted in less carries for Hines and more for Jackson. Last year Hines was getting more carries, not Jackson. That's what I'm focused on. Deon who?

9 minutes ago, Process said:

His contract is what really makes me question this trade. 

At the end of the day we gave up basically nothing so whatever. Just don't get the move at all. 

So Cook is the lead back next year, can he actually handle that role? Or are we going to have a 2nd round backup RB, $5M pass catching RB, and need to spend ANOTHER draft pick on a RB to be the lead guy?

It might be a short term move for this season. Bills give up a 6th and pay a very little bit more salary this season to get an upgrade at receiving RB, which was a need. And it’s not like Moss isn’t easily replaceable. I doubt he was in the Bills long term plans anyway. 

The Bills were going to have to pony up big in terms of contract and/or picks to get a RB who could be our #1 going forward. We didn’t so nothing has changed on that front. We didn’t know who it was going to be before the trade and we don’t know who it will be now.

Edited by BarleyNY

6 minutes ago, Ta111 said:

I don’t know why people don’t do a little research. Hines is a very good receiver but also a dynamic punt/kickoff returner. He fills several roles with the Bills.

I don't disagree with this but let's not make it like Hines is a difference maker. It's an upgrade but Hines is just a role player who may get 5 to 7 touches a game. Settle down with your do your research crap. 

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, What a Tuel said:

Ok so Jonathan Taylor and Deon Jackson are better than Hines. Why is this an issue? 

It also ignores that the 2 yards a carry is a skewed average which was all I was pointing out because you keep repeating it.

By saying it once in 2 separate posts? OK, you must be the post police or something. Still not a trade to get excited about.

Just now, DaggersEOD said:

Saw a tweet, 5th most RB receiving yards since he joined the league in 2018. 

Bad QBs, amazing RBs ahead of him. I’ve always liked this player and thought he’s been underutilized. 

Trying to separate from fantasy but I always liked him from 2020 when I was able to plug and play him and he would usually reward me with several catches and a td.

That was with Rivers. Maybe he can do it with a better QB here.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, inaugural balls said:

probably cuz…..uh……you don’t have a clue who he is. 

I do, and he's a good player. But doesn't really change the outlook for this season, while he'll be the primary 3rd down back going forward. All it really means is the Bills are all in on Cook starting next year. 

I don't mind the trade, but I don't love it - literally. 

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

By saying it once in 2 separate posts? OK, you must be the post police or something. Still not a trade to get excited about.

I'm pretty sure I told you it was skewed once and then you went and told it a 2nd time so I grabbed the stats for you.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.