Bills trade for Nyheim Hines

BLeonard

2 minutes ago, Process said:

Hines and Cook play a similar role. 

To trade picks and pick up this contract means they are giving up on Cook already. 

I really don't get the move....

Not giving up. But Hines is a significant upgrade over Cook this season which is obviously the focus. 

I agree it’s problematic Beane used a 2nd round pick and yet was still stuck in the RB market. McKissic continues to reverberate. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BananaB said:

So we wasted a 2nd rd pick on a 3rd down back only to go get another one mid season.  Good job! 

Again, no. You don't use a 2nd round pick to have 3rd down back. Singletary is in his final year of his contract. Cook is your RB1 in 23

• Like (+1) 6

Here's the thing.  I like Hines.  He's a good player.  He is basically what they want Cook to be, but without the rookie mistakes.  He's a consistent back that will be able to line up in the slot and catch the ball out of the backfield.  He'll be able to help Cook along the way and hopefully allow Cook to be ready to be the player they hope he turns into next season.  But this is a move for now.  They've been chasing a "type" and not a specific player since the offseason and they finally got one. 

All that said, they certainly focused their attention on a position I don't think is nearly our biggest need.  Here's hoping they know something about OBJ coming here when he's ready that we don't know.  But hey.....it's a new toy and in this type of offense, I think he will make some plays for us.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Hines makes Cook irrelevant- I don’t like it right now.

Dolphins beat us already and add Chubb.

Dolphins beat us by 2 at home with us missing 5 offensive linemen and our entire starting secondary.  They really need some coverage linebackers kind of odd seeing them go pass rusher 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I've never seen a fan base so excited to trade for a guy averaging 2 yards a carry. #WINNING

He isnt a 3 down back. He is a pass catching back.  Kind of unfair to give him 2 yards a carry on an avg of 2.5 attempts a game too... Rest of career 3.7 to 4.9 ypc.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3916430/nyheim-hines

It is odd though with Cooks. Maybe they just want someone more experienced filling this role for Dorseys offense.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, appoo said:

Again, no. You don't use a 2nd round pick to have 3rd down back. Singletary is in his final year of his contract. Cook is your RB1 in 23

Yeah - this by no means should be interpreted as "giving up on Cook."  Cook is a big part of the Bills future, imo.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.