Young man chose love

Solomon Grundy

3 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

Alcoholics are people too. 

I’m not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk (not really), alcoholics have to go to meetings.  

Saw this on a T-Shirt in the city (NYC) 20 years ago.  A work buddy and I laughed our arses off, so I bought him the shirt when we saw later in a little shop.

He told me all these years later, he still has it.

As far as the story Solly, thanks for sharing.  I love reading stories like this one.  A very wise and caring young man.  Those kind of attributes should pay wonderful dividends as he grows up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Great story but I think they ripped off the plot of a 'Boy Meets World' episode where Cory buys Shawn a nice Xmas gift due to Shawn being poor, except Shawn is too proud to accept. 

***correction: he gave him one of his 'best gifts' that his parents got him (a basketball). He didnt buy shnitt

Edited by Nineforty
Fog
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Nineforty said:

Great story but I think they ripped off the plot of a 'Boy Meets World' episode where Cory buys Shawn a nice Xmas gift due to Shawn being poor, except Shawn is too proud to accept. 

Truly, a classic. And a masterpiece. The juxtaposition of Cory's privilege, and Shawn's self destructive pride gave off Scorsese vibes. If someone is going to rip off a plot, this is the one to plagiarize.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Smart kid. If I was that small I'd probably befriend the biggest kid in the class too. Schools these days are rough and it's all about survival!

"I'd love to be more altruistic. What's in it for me?"

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’ve found that falling down drunks are very giving. They may wake up in the morning wondering where the tv is, but they’re very charitable.

🤷‍♂️
Nice story, btw.

45 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Not to burst everyone's City of Good Neighbors bubble, but the kids that were bullying the kid are Buffalonians too and there was more than one of them.

Kinda the point of the story. Maybe you missed it. 

Edited by AlfaBill

3 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

One nice kid in a sea of garbage. "Yay! City of Good Neighbors'" maybe good neighbor in this story. Singular.

But we celebrate the Good Neighbour..  we hope the others learn from the kid being celebrated.

17 hours ago, Beast said:

But @klos63 says Buffalo is filled with 90% alcoholics.

But they're good, neighborly alchoholics and they share.

6 hours ago, WhoTom said:

"I'd love to be more altruistic. What's in it for me?"

What goes around, comes around. It's not automatic, but it improves the odds when you treat others right.

18 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

I’m not crying, you’re crying! 

Excellent display of humanity. Well done young man. I hope he grows to become a great and powerful leader of men and women. 

I think he already did. I hope he keeps it.

2 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

What?

I liked your post. Was adding that he’s already demonstrated the great and powerful leadership; more than many adults do in their lives. I hope he keeps that attitude and empathy. It’s a powerful thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

One nice kid in a sea of garbage. "Yay! City of Good Neighbors'" maybe good neighbor in this story. Singular.

Have you ever been in the city during a snowstorm when everybody is snowed into their house?? 

and those “good neighbors “ shovel out elderly and disabled folks with no questions …  they give food to drives and would give their last meal to the needy 

don’t question the city of Buffalo and it’s love 

21 hours ago, Gugny said:

A-hole parents raise a-hole kids and most a-hole kids grow up to be a-hole adults, then a-hole parents.

My grandfather was a NY State Trooper.  I could name some of the troublemakers in school and he would remember having arrested their parents/grandparents years earlier.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.