Colts benching Matt Ryan per Reich Benched regardless of injury

Big Blitz

Woof.

Just as Alec Pierce and Parris Campbell were starting to make noise on my dynasty team bench 😝

Who woulda thunk that the Philip Rivers 7-seed team would be the peak of the Reich/Ballard regime, and it would be all downhill from there?

Imagine being a Colts fan? Just a few short years ago they had an ascending defense and a generational type QB in Andrew Luck. Then, out of the blue, the QB retired at age 29, they began a never-ending parade of mediocre and aging veterans, and now appear poised to potentially fire their coach and GM.

Sheesh.

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He's thrown too many picks yes but he hasn't been really bad

Wentz wasnt the issue the year before and Rivers wasn't the year before that

It's easy to scapegoat the QB when the staff and FO don't want to own their share of the blame

My best friend is a Colts fan who watches every game and he said don't believe the stats, Ryan has been brutal

Ehlinger hasn't looked bad in the preseason and limited regular season exposure. I think Reich knows he is going to get canned unless a young guy can get it going. I like the kid, whether he's a starter in the NFL it TBD. Ryan wasn't taking this team anywhere, he was shot. 

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Hmmm…the Colts strategy of going from old and/or terrible QB to the next isn’t working!? Who would’ve seen that coming?

Another year or two and they'll be ready to trade for Russell Wilson!

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Any chance Reich comes here when he’s fired and Dorsey becomes a HC?

I thought of that briefly as well. But I think Reich is best off going to Jacksonvile and being OC under Pederson again. Coach up Trevor Lawrence.

I think I'd rather simply promote Joe Brady for OC at this point.

• Haha (+1) 2

This is some good old fashioned karma coming back to bite the Colts.  The way Irsay handled the Peyton Manning/Tank for Luck situation...then Luck being so broken he gave up football...and now the Colts being unable to find competent QB play...

38 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Complete tire fire of a team. The definition of purgatory. Gotta feel bad for Jonathan Taylor. 

With a decent QB that team would be making some noise.

There are windows of opportunity for teams when they can peak or just do their best while retooling.

Feels like the Colts window is closing this season.

Edited by WideNine

10 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Hmmm…the Colts strategy of going from old and/or terrible QB to the next isn’t working!? Who would’ve seen that coming?

Any chance Reich comes here when he’s fired and Dorsey becomes a HC?

I don’t think Dorsey will be sought as a HC candidate this season. Maybe next season for sure. I was interested in the idea of Frank coming back home here but his offenses are terrible.

43 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

He's hurt, not benched. Big difference 

He’s hurt and benched…it’s ehlingers job to lose going forward even if Matt is healthy.  Looks like the era of the pocket passer is coming to a close and they’re desperate for some more mobility 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 minute ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Limited regular season exposure? He hasn't thrown a pass. 

Too bad he couldn't make it to the end of the year and parlay that into a big contract prior to teams finding out he really sucks if he has to play more than 2 games in a row.

The Colts have had 5 different starting QBs in 5 straight seasons if you only can give them a credit for 1 each year.  Assuming Ehlinger doesn't start next year, 6 starting QBs in 6 straight seasons with a different guy each year could end up being a record that will never be broken.  

29 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Ballard is widely considered one of the 3 best GMs in the league, but he has had a brutal time figuring out the QB position - that said, can't feel bad for them after they lucked into Luck after enjoying Manning in his prime.  They had a long, uninterrupted run of fabulous QB play while we were suffering through what they're dealing with now, which is a slew of terrible decisions at the sport's most important position.

Didn't they tank for Luck?

6 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Is this a Rob Johnson joke?

No...more a statement about how the only position where you can get a big contract based on perceived potential instead of performance once you are in the NFL is backup QB.

34 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Ballard is widely considered one of the 3 best GMs in the league, but he has had a brutal time figuring out the QB position - that said, can't feel bad for them after they lucked into Luck after enjoying Manning in his prime.  They had a long, uninterrupted run of fabulous QB play while we were suffering through what they're dealing with now, which is a slew of terrible decisions at the sport's most important position.

Probably not according to Irsay.

Edited by Big Turk

33 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The decisions have been based on being in win-now mode.  They didn't want to take the time to reset & develop a QB of their own, so ever since the year after Luck retired they have been bringing in guys who were good once and hoping to get a good season out of them.  Only Wentz had any chance of being there a while & they (correctly) dumped him after 1 season. 

Damn, I love Rob Johnson jokes.

To be honest I didn't think Ryan was that bad. He had a rough time in the Denver game which everybody saw, though put in an impressive shift on that last touchdown drive which I believe forced OT with pass rush all over him every play. He aggressively moved around the pocket the way a veteran with no mobility knows how to do and ate a lot of contact, it was a smart gutsy effort. Other than the Denver game that's what I'm seeing from him-- a guy in a bad situation but pulling out all the stops to make a little something happen. I think there's a scapegoat element at play here. But two things can be true, I also think with their OL struggling like it is it will help to have a QB who can make plays with his legs and vary the offense up that way. They do have sort of a sneaky decent WR group with the Pierce kid showing out.

It's weird how their O-line went from consensus best in ball to so bad, so quickly.

42 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He's thrown too many picks yes but he hasn't been really bad

Wentz wasnt the issue the year before and Rivers wasn't the year before that

It's easy to scapegoat the QB when the staff and FO don't want to own their share of the blame

In a sense you are right.  But I don't agree with the Rivers and Wentz statements.

Neither of those moves were the right one's either.

How can an offense develop when you are changing QBs every year.  It's foolish.

I laughed when they traded for Matt Ryan.  Too many teams are clutching at straws to find a QB and too many are

wanting to see instant results.

There is no such thing as developing young QBs in the NFL anymore.

7 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The decisions have been based on being in win-now mode.  They didn't want to take the time to reset & develop a QB of their own, so ever since the year after Luck retired they have been bringing in guys who were good once and hoping to get a good season out of them.  Only Wentz had any chance of being there a while & they (correctly) dumped him after 1 season. 

I'll take it a step further and say that just about every team is in a "win-now mode".  

Time for Matty Ice to be put on ice. The old guard (Brady, Rodgers, Ryan, Wilson, Stafford) have all had quite a difficult season so far. NFL moving in a different direction it seems where it's more of a young man's game and the older guys who want to hang in the pocket are a thing of the past

• Like (+1) 1

Desperation time in Indy now that they've been swept buy the Titans and their only real path to the playoffs is going to be the wildcard round now.

Kind of surprised they didn't go to nick folk first though but guess they like what they see in this ehlenger kid.

Also speaking of the Titans, in hindsight this is another impressive win considering they haven't lost a game since the Bills MNF loss and are quietly ascending right now and look to be well on their way to another AFCS title.

Matt Ryan's football soul died in that Super Bowl. League MVP, on his way to certain SB MVP...

Now he looks like a frail old man out there. 

28-3 late in the 3rd quarter. Then disaster. For him, sure, but more importantly, for all of us who cannot stand Brady. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Time for Matty Ice to be put on ice. The old guard (Brady, Rodgers, Ryan, Wilson, Stafford) have all had quite a difficult season so far. NFL moving in a different direction it seems where it's more of a young man's game and the older guys who want to hang in the pocket are a thing of the past

While this is true, I feel that teams are not developing these college QBs into what they can be good at.

These young guys are not trained to play the game like the old guard played it.  There is something dreadfully wrong with 

the approach too many NFL teams are taking.  It's resulting in bad QB play and I refuse to believe it's all on these young QBs.

The fans are no better.  I didn't say anything yesterday, but I guess this is as good as place as any.

In yesterday's Steelers game I was shocked on how many posters criticized Pickett's play saying he will never be a good QB.

I mean the kid has started 3 games!  How can anyone know that.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

And Jalen Hurts is like Tua minus the concussions. Those guys just do play-action and roll outs. Neither can do a 5 step drop and hit a guy in a tight window. I wouldn't be holding either as some kind of level of competent QB play

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.