All your juicy Odell Beckham gossip

Simon

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He has some issues with hands catches, contested or otherwise. I've never seen someone that size play so consistently below the rim. This is my thing on his size.... the only time he actually uses his size as an asset is with the ball in his hands when he is a tough tackle for any DB. It is true that it is a technical point and can be coached up and the raw ingredients are there. But those are the things teams have to get comfortable with. They talk about smaller receivers needing to "play bigger", Johnston needs to "play bigger too" because he is 6'3 playing 5'11.

Do you think he could be a Deebo Samuel type for us? Not elite running routes or catching the ball, but a terror with the ball in his hands?

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Do you think he could be a Deebo Samuel type for us? Not elite running routes or catching the ball, but a terror with the ball in his hands?

Does Dorsey seem like the guy to scheme up plays like that? Shanahan might be the best play designer in the nfl and Dorsey, to be nice, is inexperienced. 

19 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Does Dorsey seem like the guy to scheme up plays like that? Shanahan might be the best play designer in the nfl and Dorsey, to be nice, is inexperienced. 

No, but does that mean we don't try to accumulate talent? Johnston's size and speed is a deadly combo. We don't have anyone with that skill set on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

No, but does that mean we don't try to accumulate talent? Johnston's size and speed is a deadly combo. We don't have anyone with that skill set on the roster.

I was just responding to using him like deebo. I heard a point about QJ that makes you think, how many 1st round pick receivers with questionable hands shake that in the nfl?  

27 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'd love Johnston but expect him to be gone by the middle of the 1st Round. You're right most of this class lacks in size which is okay since we just need a slot guy. 

33 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I was just responding to using him like deebo. I heard a point about QJ that makes you think, how many 1st round pick receivers with questionable hands shake that in the nfl?  

My thing with questionable hands is how much production does it actually cost? Let's say for example on 100 targets in a season, a 5% drop rate compared to a 7% drop rate is only 2 extra drops a season. That's not enough for me to give up on a prospect entirely. I guess I worry a little about the body catching but I don't really care about contested catches anyways. If Johnston can run routes and be a nightmare to bring down after the catch that's more than good enough for me. He is also apparently highly competitive and the hardest worker on the team. Catching technique can be taught. That size and speed can't.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Don't think he has the short area quickness of Deebo. He is more of a long strider. I think the best chance for him in the NFL is to coach him up as a genuine vertical threat receiver. But it needs the hands and the anticipation of the catch point to improve. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

That’s really what he is right now.  And I’d love it. 😃 

29 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

@GunnerBill, what about Zay Flowers? Can he be the guy @HappyDays is speaking of?

I think he is more Deebo in terms of the short area quickness. I just think he has to be very well schemed because his lack of size and length are limitations. I think it might even have been @HappyDays who had the stat about arm length the other day. Basically Flowers has to be a unicorn at his size and length to be a star NFL receiver. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I'd love Johnston but expect him to be gone by the middle of the 1st Round. You're right most of this class lacks in size which is okay since we just need a slot guy. 

I keep seeing we need a slot guy and I couldn't disagree more. Khalil Shakir showed flashes of being our best slot guy last year and has earned more reps. Then we went out and signed Deonte Harty. You don't need more than two slot guys on the 53, which was a big reason as to why we released McKenzie. We have that position covered. What we need is another outside WR we can rely on alongside Diggs and Davis. Last season we had to trot out Jake Kumerow when Davis got banged up. Davis isn't as bad as this board would lead you to believe and I think he'd be a very good 3rd option. But Diggs and Davis alone is not enough. Boundary WR is what we need, not another slot.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

10 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I keep seeing we need a slot guy and I couldn't disagree more. Khalil Shakir showed flashes of being our best slot guy last year and has earned more reps. Then we went out and signed Deonte Harty. You don't need more than two slot guys on the 53 and we have that position covered. What we need is another outside WR we can rely on alongside Diggs and Davis. Last season we had to trot out Jake Kumerow when Davis got banged up. Davis isn't as bad as this board would lead you to believe and I think he'd be a very good 3rd option. But Diggs and Davis alone is not enough. Boundary WR is what we need, not another slot.

I can't see us getting Davis back after this year and with Shakir's flexibility I think he could replace Davis in 2024. In terms of slot the draft doesn't have many big guys so whomever we draft likely more of a slot and long term guy as not sure Harty's a long term answer.

5 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I can't see us getting Davis back after this year and with Shakir's flexibility I think he could replace Davis in 2024. In terms of slot the draft doesn't have many big guys so whomever we draft likely more of a slot and long term guy as not sure Harty's a long term answer.

I think there are a few bigger 6'+) wr's in the draft. Maybe not 1st rnd, but a few later on. IMO, I think everyone is looking for a wr1 and not a wr2. I think Rice, Tillman, Wilson, Mingo, Perry, Jarrett, Losivas even Higgins could be a wr2 that could be interesting to name a few.  Now, I haven't really watched a lot of them as I am not stuck on a wr, but at least they are a little bigger and can play outside. As with any pick, may not be perfect and may have some small warts, but can possibly fill a role if you can't get who you want.

2 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I think there are a few bigger 6'+) wr's in the draft. Maybe not 1st rnd, but a few later on. IMO, I think everyone is looking for a wr1 and not a wr2. I think Rice, Tillman, Wilson, Mingo, Perry, Jarrett, Losivas even Higgins could be a wr2 that could be interesting to name a few.  Now, I haven't really watched a lot of them as I am not stuck on a wr, but at least they are a little bigger and can play outside. As with any pick, may not be perfect and may have some small warts, but can possibly fill a role if you can't get who you want.

Johnston is the best big WR in the draft. He needs work and may not succeed, but if he hits, you have a home run pick. The reasoning there is he could upgrade Davis at WR2 and grow into a WR1 as Diggs ages out. I would also look at OT and TE early, so I surmise we do not share a common sensibility on how best to address the draft. No matter, if Beane follows the proclivities of his HC, LB, DT, and Edge will be priorities on day one and two. 

48 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

We signed Harty to a two year deal. Shakir may be able to play Outside, but he's been primarily used in the slot. The slot is covered this season and next. Outside of Diggs and Davis we have Sherfield and nothing. Slot is covered for this season. We need another boundary.

Johnston, Addison, Hyatt, Downs, and Tillman are either outside guys exclusively or have played both roles. And of course there's still OBJ or trade options. Either way, with Diggs, Davis, Harty, Sherfield, and Shakir - there's room for one more WR on the 53 and he has to be an outside guy.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Johnston is the best big WR in the draft. He needs work and may not succeed, but if he hits, you have a home run pick. The reasoning there is he could upgrade Davis at WR2 and grow into a WR1 as Diggs ages out. I would also look at OT and TE early, so I surmise we do not share a common sensibility on how best to address the draft. No matter, if Beane follows the proclivities of his HC, LB, DT, and Edge will be priorities on day one and two. 

Didn't say he wasn't. I just think people are stuck on a 1st rnd wr thinking that is the only place we can upgrade Davis. I disagree. You don't have to use a 1st to improve our wr group. Diggs still has a couple + years. No overly concerned with him. TE class is deep, not need to draft a TE2 early. OT I agree with if they could also play G. Not sure a T only prospect would be the right choice, but not totally against it. I think LB, DT and Edge are needs. So, yes, I guess we differ on the best way to address the draft and it's all good. If everyone thought the same, this would be a boring place.😁

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Didn't say he wasn't. I just think people are stuck on a 1st rnd wr thinking that is the only place we can upgrade Davis. I disagree. You don't have to use a 1st to improve our wr group. Diggs still has a couple + years. No overly concerned with him. TE class is deep, not need to draft a TE2 early. OT I agree with if they could also play G. Not sure a T only prospect would be the right choice, but not totally against it. I think LB, DT and Edge are needs. So, yes, I guess we differ on the best way to address the draft and it's all good. If everyone thought the same, this would be a boring place.😁

Unless he likes Drew Sanders, which I could see given his comp on NFL.com is Tremaine Edmunds, I don't see value in MLB at 27. Haven't seen a mock (outside of Bills fan mocks) that has a MLB in Round 1 outside of Sanders. There's a lot that don't have a MLB at all.

9 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Unless he likes Drew Sanders, which I could see given his comp on NFL.com is Tremaine Edmunds, I don't see value in MLB at 27. Haven't seen a mock (outside of Bills fan mocks) that has a MLB in Round 1 outside of Sanders. There's a lot that don't have a MLB at all.

I have seen Campbell talked about as a fringe 1st. Which is probably more accurate. But as several others have talked about, not sure there is a lot of players with a 1st rnd grade this year. We are sitting at 27, so being a fringe 1st, I would say it wouldn't be a large reach and we have a need so ultimately it's not an unreasonable pick. Do you wait and miss or do you just bite the bullet and take who you want? JMO as I am not a GM or scout.😉

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I have seen Campbell talked about as a fringe 1st. Which is probably more accurate. But as several others have talked about, not sure there is a lot of players with a 1st rnd grade this year. We are sitting at 27, so being a fringe 1st, I would say it wouldn't be a large reach and we have a need so ultimately it's not an unreasonable pick. Do you wait and miss or do you just bite the bullet and take who you want? JMO as I am not a GM or scout.😉

I wait. Everyone around here has an obsession with Jack Campbell. But I doubt Brandon Beane is looking at a rankings board of MLB's that reads just Jack Campbell circled. He's probably got his eyes on a number of different prospects. One of which will surely be at 59 or within striking distance if the board falls a certain way. 

9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I wait. Everyone around here has an obsession with Jack Campbell. But I doubt Brandon Beane is looking at a rankings board of MLB's that reads just Jack Campbell circled. He's probably got his eyes on a number of different prospects. One of which will surely be at 59 or within striking distance if the board falls a certain way. 

Ever see the movie Draft Day? Campbell no matter what. I'm just kidding. 😁  I'm sure Beane probably has 4 or 5 LB'S on his list that could be potential picks throughout the draft. He probably also has a few on his radar post draft if he doesn't feel one in the draft is the right option. I'm not obsessed by Campbell,  but I do think he would be a great pick Wherever that may be. 27, small trade back or even a trade up in the 2nd. But if we don't draft him I also don't think it's the end of the world. There are always options. 

2 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Meh 🫤 actually hope they take him. Give him a nice contract too. They’re blowing up their trajectory of a up & coming team for this year. They’re depending on a 40 year old Diva to lead them. 

This is so typical Two Bills Drive I have to wonder if it's a parody.

43 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

This is so typical Two Bills Drive I have to wonder if it's a parody.

I have to agree with the poster on that 1. I mean Rodgers looked nothign like himself last season, he's still a very good QB but I don't think he's an elite QB any longer. His 50+M contract is definitely going to hinder them down the road, if Rodgers doesn't pan out (like Favre) then they will definitely set themselves up for another few years at least of finding a franchise QB. Now if they add 30 year WR with an ankle fracture, 2 ACL tears, again I think this all helps us in the long run but the flip side it could all work out for the Jets but when is the last time that's happened? Broadway Joe?

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

I think of all the time I wasted reading this thread September - November 

At least it was singular and not respun by the recreators who routinely recreate their own and others threads.

Edited by I am the egg man

• 2 weeks later...
  • Alphadawg7 changed the title to OBJ accused of assault at an LA hot spot

Wasn't the same club as the last incident, was it?

"OBJ!  Willie McG here.  Have I got an action spot for you!"

😇

EDIT:  Oh lord, it was, at least if I am reading news reports correctly.

NEW NFL DIRECTIVES:

1.  No gambling.

2. No Delilah clubbing.

3. NE gets conditional draft picks.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.