Who does Tre take over for when he returns?

JerseyBills

44 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I don't know how I missed your attempt at humor.  Your 4-1-4 nine-man defense that includes a guy on IR is hilarious.  

It was a 4-1-6 scheme. 4 D lineman, 1 linebacker (not named Edmunds), 4 cornerbacks, 2 safeties with one who is on IR but is so good he could create a hologram of himself and suit up against Kansas City. 

CB1 - White

CB2- Dane

NKL - Johnson

Safety's Poyer and Benford

Next year switch out Dane for Elam. But after the bye this year I'd love to see this line-up.  Move Benford to Safety so both can get on the field, Benford would be an upgrade to Hamilin. Leave Dane as the starter for now for the experience he gives us. This year Elam would be second string.

Tre is the #1 corner. The rest of the guys file in behind him in whatever order the coaches decide. I'm guessing Jackson and Elam will split time. Benford is hurt and won't be rushed back.

21 minutes ago, mikef272002 said:

CB1 - White

CB2- Dane

NKL - Johnson

Next year switch out Dane for Elam. But after the bye this year I'd love to see this line-up.  Move Benford to Safety so both can get on the field, Benford would be an upgrade to Hamilin. Leave Dane as the starter for now for the experience he gives us. This year Elam would be second string.

If Benford transitions to safety it won't be mid-season.

fantastic issue to have.  My guess is that Tre will be on a short leash conditioning wise.  If he gets beat 1 or 2 times, the other guys go back in.  Not saying Tre won't be ready, but there is no need to rush him back.  1/2 game platoon with Jackson or Elam at first?  Can you do a corner rotation?  Imagine having a fresh CB each 1/2 of the game that is playing at an all-pro level.  We appear to have that.  (does a CB need to get in a rhythm?)  

Tre works his way back in at LCB.

Looking forward, it's Dane Jackson's future that is very murky.  How much are the Bills willing to pay him next season?

He's a RFA next year and there is no way he stays on the Bills for an "original round (7th) tender".  Multiple teams will give him offers.

The Bills could match whatever that cost is but will they with Elam and Benford needing to play.

Putting a 2nd round tender on him probably ensures he stay but it's a one-year deal at $4.3M.  Once again, is that too much for depth if

Elam and/or Benford can play.  He would be an UFA the following year and most likely moves on anyway.

Neither choice is great for the bottom-line Bills point of view.   I really like Dane but it's going to be a numbers thing next season.

It's a slim chance, but he may be a "tradeable" asset by the deadline.  If not, I think the Bills end up losing him for a 7th in 2024.

CB 1  Tre
CB 2  Dane / Elam rotation
CB 3  Xavier Rhodes, Benford

Nickel  Taron, Benford, Neal 

SS  Poyer, Jaquan
FS  Hamlin, Benford 

4 hours ago, mikef272002 said:

CB1 - White

CB2- Dane

NKL - Johnson

I suppose Benford could be an upgrade to Hamlin.....except Poyer spoke very highly of Hamlin and how much time they've spent together off the field.

Edited by Warriorspikes51

i don't know that he plays as a starter.

the Bills have been doing some interesting things at CB. especially when Benford was playing. it was CB by commitee. Benford would be in at times which calls for more of a zone coverage and short situations while elam was in for man and open field zones.

Assuming Tre is 100% when he gets back, he will replace the CB the coaches have graded lower. It’s a pretty simple process. We might think we know who has outperformed whom, but we don’t have enough pertinent info to actually grade performances. The coaches do. 

It could also be a matter of strictly wanting to slot Tre at his normal left CB position and he replaces whomever has been manning that side of the field. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bills2022 said:

I don't think Tre will replace either of them.  I bet they are better players than Tre this year.  He is coming off an ACL.  He won't really be 100% until 2023.

Of course if he’s not 100% that changes the decision making process. It remains to be seen if he comes back as good as new, but it’s not written in stone that it’s impossible simply because of his ACL injury. Post surgical prognoses just aren’t as cut and dried as they once were. 

One thing is for sure and that is he won’t come back until he and the team agree that it’s time. 

I still don't think White is going to be much of a factor this year in terms of him picking up where he left off pre injury.

But the obvious choice would probably be Dane Jackson unless the rookies start to struggle.

Also don't rule out the possibility of Taron Johnson actually being the DB that's replaced or see's his snap counts decrease significantly in favor or any of White/Jackson/Elam/Benford in the slot corner role.

No one is going anywhere...not in a SB press year...

Tre will be eased in and have limited snaps, especially with how good our young secondary is playing.  

But once he is a full go starter again, I suspect it will be him and Elam given how well Elam has played.  But they could rotate guys based on matchups or type of D they wanna run too.  I think all of them will see plenty of snaps to keep guys fresh and I can see the "starter" possibly changing at times depending on who is playing better at the moment or matches up better with that particular team/WR.  

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see Beane flip one of our young guys this offseason for a decent draft pick like Benford or Dane potentially if the right offer comes along.  With our cap, I know Beane is going to look for more ways to keep filling the team with young cheap talent and will covet draft assets to do so.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.