Week 5: Steelers at Bills 10/9 1pm

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I would actually sit players against KC unless the Bills are nearly full-strength.  I don't see an offense where Davis is still hobbled and Knox is hobbled and they can't run the ball being able to keep up with KC.  Just find a way to beat the Steelers and let guys get healthy by sitting out the KC game that they would be long-shots to win anyway.

lol wut

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Kenny Pickett already kind of rubs me the wrong way. He seems quite arrogant

take the quote from after last game:

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news/pittsburgh-steelers-kenny-pickett-losing-feeling

I just play with an edge," Pickett said. "That's something that I wanted to bring to the table. I do not like to lose. This is not a good feeling. I don't want it to be a familiar feeling, so I definitely want to get back out there and get a victory, get us back on track. 

"So, I think a little bit of an edge to me. I want that to rub off on everybody. I want us to have an attitude when it's out there on the field. I'm excited to get back to work get us back on track."

he seems to think he has an attitude and edge the rest of his teammates don’t have, and that he hates to lose more than they do so they need to learn from him - a rookie, who’s never even made a career start yet. 🤷‍♂️

https://theathletic.com/3662427/2022/10/06/kenny-pickett-steelers-starting-debut/

(athletic sub. req.)

“I have an unbelievable amount of confidence in myself, No matter what field I walk on, I feel like I’m the best player there.”

Wonder if he thinks he’s better than Josh Allen?

“You guys and everyone else thinks we’re underdogs,” Pickett said Wednesday. “We don’t. We’re going to go in there with some confidence. We know how great we can be when we’re detailed.”

i guess we’ll see on Sunday…

Underneath all the records Pickett broke and trophies he hoisted at Pitt is a foundation of unflinching confidence…

a palpable swagger that even Morrissey — Pickett’s best friend — admits flirts with the fine line between confidence and arrogance.

“Kenny has this great way of carrying himself that he’s just a winner,” Morrissey said. “Call it confidence or cockiness. Whatever it is, it helps Kenny be the great player he is.”

Talent evaluators tried to poke holes in Pickett’s game. Some said at almost 24 years old, he was already approaching his ceiling. Others focused on his hand size — an ironic criticism for the kid everyone overlooked in high school because he was too small.

The Pickett family believes the Colts, whose highest pick entering the draft was No. 42, considered trading into the first round to nab Kenny. The Lions (who held picks 2, 32 and 34) and the Saints (who had picks 16 and 19) felt like options in the middle of the first round. And Pickett’s ties to Rhule made Carolina (which held the No. 6 pick) another potential destination. But none pulled the trigger.

“All those guys that passed on him? I can tell you one thing: It definitely is in the back of his mind,” Ken Pickett said. “That adds to his fuel.”

“there were 9 mistakes made ahead of me” - josh rosen 

edit -

…a kid who grew up within biking distance of the Jersey Shore beach.

ah, now it makes sense. 😂 (kidding)

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

What kind of move you have to do before you move someone to IR? Sound very confusing to me. Unless he really means to have some pre-agreed trade.

One viewpoint is there might be a trade in the works.  After all, we can elevate 2 PS guys for the game without signing them, and they don't go through waivers.

Another would be, we're going to be signing someone to the roster, but who?  Recall players who are signed to the roster from PS and then cut, go through waivers unless they have enough accrued seasons.

I fully support Poyer getting an extra rest week to mend with KC next (which I assume he'll play in) and then the actual bye.  He's got foot stuff and rib stuff which is basically soreness that lingers throughout the season and you do your best to mitigate.  If he's the difference between winning and losing against a rookie QB in our house then a lot more went wrong.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Part of the "secondary hold up" strategy seemed to be for the offense to play "keep away" and grind down the field.  In Miami, that was kind of a "pyrrhic strategy" because it meant the patchwork OL, Josh, and the WR were all limp biscuit by the end of the drive. 

With a forecast high of 56/partly cloudy in Orchard Park, it might work better.

This was what I was thinking.  If he doesn't have the ball, he can't be a hero.  Reduce the Najee threat and flood the secondary.  Easier said than done, but that has to be the game plan.  This won't be one of those zero blitz games though.

25 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

I have a feeling Poyer being out is cautionary.  

he would play if it was KC or playoffs.  

I’d approach it exactly the opposite if it was strategic. Ensure the Steelers win and then rest for two weeks with the bye. Bills are getting smoked in KC either way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

9 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I would actually sit players against KC unless the Bills are nearly full-strength.  I don't see an offense where Davis is still hobbled and Knox is hobbled and they can't run the ball being able to keep up with KC.  Just find a way to beat the Steelers and let guys get healthy by sitting out the KC game that they would be long-shots to win anyway.

Definitely. There is no chance we can compete with KC.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Like any other stat this shouldn’t be taken as the end all be all... But good lord, Von. 

Rousseau is in the jumbled middle. But was higher on the win rate scale before last week. 

And a nod to Rousseau being able to just flat out beat the man in front of him.  

The amount of double teams Jerry Hughes receives in his career is impressive.

Can somebody smarter than me explain how Von isn’t the top of your third list? I read it as him having the highest win rate in the league. 

4 minutes ago, Airseven said:

I’d approach it exactly the opposite if it was strategic. Ensure the Steelers win and then rest for two weeks with the bye. Bills are getting smoked in KC either way.

4 minutes ago, Process said:

Definitely. There is no chance we can compete with KC.

What the ***** is all this bull####?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Per Joe Buscaglia, Tremaine isn't practicing today. While McKenzie is practicing, without the non-contact jersey.

Very likely Tremaine is out, but good news on Isaih looking like he will play.

Depth chart has Dodson listed as MLB backup, but interestingly Cam Lewis is listed as Poyers backup....that can't be right?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Pathetic.  Give me Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs, Von Miller, Matt Milano and 49 JAGs and that team has a chance to beat KC.  As it is, with our excellent roster, it's a coin flip.

• Agree 1

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

Per Joe Buscaglia, Tremaine isn't practicing today. While McKenzie is practicing, without the non-contact jersey.

Very likely Tremaine is out, but good news on Isaih looking like he will play.

Depth chart has Dodson listed as MLB backup, but interestingly Cam Lewis is listed as Poyers backup....that can't be right?

When was the depth chart last updated? 

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

The amount of double teams Jerry Hughes receives in his career is impressive.

Can somebody smarter than me explain how Von isn’t the top of your third list? I read it as him having the highest win rate in the league. 

the last list is removing all blitz and stunts. its just rusher vs blocker straight up.

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

KC is a playoff game that will likely decide the #1 seed and therefore homefield advantage. We have to throw everyone and the kitchen sink at KC. Rolling over for them now pretty much sandbags our SB run. Weak, dude. Weak.

In large part I agree. But it's not a playoff game. I only care who wins the last matchup of the year between these two teams if I'm being honest. (Not implying you disagree)

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, eball said:

Very strange that Tremaine apparently isn't practicing but McD didn't rule him out for the game.

Maybe theyre trying to give Bernard more 1st team reps in case we pull our starters early? Seems like too cocky a move for McD to be true, but could be...

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Dude……

Right, like how can you note a team is a 14 point FAVORITE and then say it's going to be a tough game???

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Take it easy on the guy. This week he’s really worried about that whippersnapper Lynn Swann coming in and taking over games like he does. It’s tough to be an old timer.

The Steelers do have a great defense. Few teams can contain both Mean Joe Green and Jack Lambert for 4 quarters.

22 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Kenny Pickett already kind of rubs me the wrong way. He seems quite arrogant

Guys who play in the NFL generally have two things in common:

1) whatever level they played at, they're not used to losing

2) they're kind of used to being the "baddest mutha in the valley" and they need to learn how to deal with the act that they aren't

Von Miller on his "VonCast" was kind of humorous about some of Pickett's comments.  Stuff like "No, Dude, don't do this, just go out and play your game"

22 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

“there were 9 mistakes made ahead of me” - josh rosen

People, who know him like Jon Feliciano, have talked about the "Josh Allen Revenge Tour" and him having an extra edge playing against the teams who passed on him like the Broncos, or against players like Ramsey who called him "trash".  I think all of these top athletes have some ego and get a bit of extra "***** in their grits" as Ritchie Incognito put it, when someone disses them.  But most of them have the self-awareness to shut their mouth and realize that the place to show that edge is in his play, between the whistles. 

Talking just makes you look foolish if you can't back it up.  And in a league where everyone was "the Big Dog" in college, sooner or later everyone lays an egg.

1 minute ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

what happened with tremaine?

Hammy.  Thought to have happened during the goal-line stand on the Poe-birds last drive.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

How many combined targets do our TE's have through 4 games?  10?   

40 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

This is really interesting.

Before doing so?

What kind of move you have to do before you move someone to IR? Sound very confusing to me. Unless he really means to have some pre-agreed trade.

It is a little weird.  It could be just waiting to see if a player actually takes a 53-roster spot or just elevated for this week's game.

Beane is very low on cash, not sure if some of the reasoning is based on saving a few bucks.

With players potentially coming back to the roster soon, Beane might leave it at 52 if he can get away with the bodies he has

for another 2 weeks.

A trade is always possible, but the only positions the Bills can afford to move out of are DL (if everyone is getting healthy)

and RB.  I guess an LB could also be available being Smith can return after the bye.  Any trade would also have money issues

to consider.  

34 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Buffalo Bills Official PR  "Rounding Up The Heard" post for the game mentions how Poyer can make it 5 int's in first 5 games of a season......

yet Sean ruled him Out? 

He’s hurt, so yes. I don’t think the team cares about his int streak more than him being healthy 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Wonder if there holding guys out who would play if it were a playoff game to help get them healthy for KC next week, knowing the buy is right after. If so, too bad they can't get Gabe the extra rest, but we're down too many as it is. I do worry about the cascading effect of guys being out puts more on the guys playing to have to compensate & play harder which generates more injuries. They need that buy week.

Edited by Donuts and Doritos
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Guys who play in the NFL generally have two things in common:

1) whatever level they played at, they're not used to losing

2) they're kind of used to being the "baddest mutha in the valley" and they need to learn how to deal with the act that they aren't

Von Miller on his "VonCast" was kind of humorous about some of Pickett's comments.  Stuff like "No, Dude, don't do this, just go out and play your game"

People, who know him like Jon Feliciano, have talked about the "Josh Allen Revenge Tour" and him having an extra edge playing against the teams who passed on him like the Broncos, or against players like Ramsey who called him "trash".  I think all of these top athletes have some ego and get a bit of extra "***** in their grits" as Ritchie Incognito put it, when someone disses them.  But most of them have the self-awareness to shut their mouth and realize that the place to show that edge is in his play, between the whistles. 

Talking just makes you look foolish if you can't back it up.  And in a league where everyone was "the Big Dog" in college, sooner or later everyone lays an egg.

Hammy.  Thought to have happened during the goal-line stand on the Poe-birds last drive.

My thoughts exactly. I have no issue with my QB having the confident edge. But at least Show it on the field first before you start running your mouth.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

In large part I agree. But it's not a playoff game. I only care who wins the last matchup of the year between these two teams if I'm being honest. (Not implying you disagree)

The issue is where do we want to play kc at...in kc where they have beaten us 2 yrs in a row in the playoffs or in Buffalo infront of the Mafia?..not to mention the refs in kc are certainly swayed to favor no calls on allot of holds against the home team

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.