Week 5: Steelers at Bills 10/9 1pm

YoloinOhio

Just now, BillsFanSD said:

If this secondary could hold up okay against Tua, Tyreek, and Waddle, I'm sure it can handle a rookie QB and a few receivers that are nowhere near Miami's.

Not to mention a should be pretty much fully healthy DL minus probably Phillips.  We’ll be just fine 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Bills a -14 favorite, it’s hard not to see this game being close. Yes Pickett is a rookie, but he’s got solid playmakers around him. Our secondary is atrocious, think god our Dline can pass rush……

I wouldn’t say atrocious, this secondary that we’ll be trotting out there on Sunday did alright against a pretty potent Miami passing attack.  But yeah, the Steelers will get some big plays for sure.  Just gotta limit them.  (Duh).

4 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Bills a -14 favorite, it’s hard not to see this game being close. Yes Pickett is a rookie, but he’s got solid playmakers around him. Our secondary is atrocious, think god our Dline can pass rush……

I think they just need to shut some of these guys down and get them healthy...bite the bullet and put Davis, Knox, Poyer, Benford and Oliver on 4-game IR.  It might cost us a game, but we need them healthy for the end of the season and the playoffs...

3 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

If this secondary could hold up okay against Tua, Tyreek, and Waddle, I'm sure it can handle a rookie QB and a few receivers that are nowhere near Miami's.

Steelers have some good receivers...Claypool(870 yards) and Johnson(1161 yards) aren't huge names but put up over 2K yards between them last year and Pickens looks like he is going to be an excellent player.  One thing they have been able to do very consistently over the years is draft good WR's.  

I would expect Pickett to much better at playing fearless than Trubisky was so the Bills are going to be challenged by him I would bet. He isn't just going to play safe.  That's not to say it will work, but they will have to make their share of plays, he isn't going to just dink and dunk like Trubisky would have.

I'd really love to see what Claypool could do with the Bills...he would be a monster in his offense.

Edited by Big Turk

Just now, mannc said:

I think they just need to shut some of these guys down and get them healthy...bite the bullet and put Davis, Knox, Poyer, Benford and Oliver on 4-game IR.  It might cost us a game, but we need them healthy for the end of the season and the playoffs...

Oliver isnt going on IR, he just sat out 3 games, if they were gonna IR him they would have. Id bet he plays Sunday...Benford can play anytime with a club if they choose. 

Man we can see how spoiled we have been the past several years on the injury front. Chicken littles 

Just now, Big Turk said:

Steelers have some good receivers...Claypool and Johnson aren't huge names but put up almost 2K yards between them last year and Pickens looks like he is going to be an excellent player.  One thing they have been able to do very consistently over the years is draft good WR's.  

I'd really love to see what Claypool could do with the Bills...he would be a monster in his offense.

Claypool drops a lot of passes. Steelers' fans rage about this all the time.

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

No surprises with that last group of 3.  I don't think we see Benford or Kumerow before the bye. 

I'm a bit surprised Crowder hasn't gone on IR yet.

They are likely waiting to put crowder on IR until Saturday afternoon deadline when they activate the PS WR (Hodgins or gentry). It’s a small thing i know as there isn’t much film on them but no reason to do it now, so Steelers won’t have any way to prep for the new WR. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Part of the "secondary hold up" strategy seemed to be for the offense to play "keep away" and grind down the field.  In Miami, that was kind of a "pyrrhic strategy" because it meant the patchwork OL, Josh, and the WR were all limp biscuit by the end of the drive. 

With a forecast high of 56/partly cloudy in Orchard Park, it might work better.

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

Oliver isnt going on IR, he just sat out 3 games, if they were gonna IR him they would have. Id bet he plays Sunday...Benford can play anytime with a club if they choose. 

Man we can see how spoiled we have been the past several years on the injury front. Chicken littles 

Oliver looks like he is going to be good to go for Sunday...also a bright spot that McD didn't rule out Jordan Phillips either since he has the last 2 weeks on Friday...and Edmunds wasn't included in there either so that is potentially a good sign.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Ok, maybe not Oliver, but Knox, Gabe and Poyer need to get completely healthy before they play again

13 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Atrocious? What games have you been watching? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Ok, maybe not Oliver, but Knox, Gabe and Poyer need to get completely healthy before they play again

Gabe has been practicing in full I believe this week. That doesn’t necessarily mean he’s 100% I know, but it’s better than limited designations.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Oliver looks like he is going to be good to go for Sunday...also a bright spot that McD didn't rule out Jordan Phillips either since he has the last 2 weeks on Friday...and Edmunds wasn't included in there either so that is potentially a good sign.

Really hope Edmunds doesnt play either. Hammys have been a minor thing for him in his career. Let Dodson get the reps and ball out. Save Tremaine for next Sundays showdown. 

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

No surprises with that last group of 3.  I don't think we see Benford or Kumerow before the bye. 

I'm a bit surprised Crowder hasn't gone on IR yet.

GODDAMNIT!😲

We haven’t been healthy since we kicked off at LA!

15 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

You realize they still haven't allowed 200 yards passing in a game yet this year right? They also have the #1 pass defense in the NFL.  If that is atrocious what are the other 31 NFL teams?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

did McDermott mention anything about what the frig is going on with Tre White?

This is a total guess, but we just put Zimmer on the PS.  Zimmer suffered a torn ACL 2 weeks before White did, and IIRC he's studying for a master's degree in some kind of sports training/kinesiology thing so you know he was hitting his rehab 100% and full bore. 

So it might give a benchmark that White might be 2 weeks behind Zim

Just now, JoPoy88 said:

Gabe has been practicing in full I believe this week. That doesn’t necessarily mean he’s 100% I know, but it’s better than limited designations.

I know he can play, but Gabe's been bothered by the same ankle for two years now and he's not the same player when he's hurt.  Gotta get him healthy.   

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Pretty much under McDermott every time a player was LP or DNP all week they don’t play 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

its the NFL. Guys play hurt ALLLLLLL the time.

I know, but Davis is just not the same player when he's hurt...it's night and day, actually.  Get him healthy and in the meantime, see what we've got in Hodgins and Shakir. 

Just now, GolfandBills said:

Pretty much under McDermott every time a player was LP or DNP all week they don’t play 

That's not true...Bills had some limited players last week that played. Case in point Gabe Davis and Mitch Morse.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Rookie but he has weapons. They’ll be ready. Hopefully we’re full strength on the DL. 

And he clearly isn't afraid to just chuck it up there to them and let them try and make plays...two of the INTs last week against the Jets were like that. I would bet they are looking very closely at the play against Miami that Waddle got free for 50+ yards between the two safeties and I would be shocked if they didn't try and challenge them again.

At least we will have Jackson for this game tho.

Plus for us tho..."The Hawk" is expected to be in full effect this game and Pickett doesn't have the strongest arm...I'd expect a few balls to get hung up in the breeze.

Edited by Big Turk

23 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

hopefully Poyer is just being given rest for a week and only misses this game.  I'm surprised Phillips and Edmunds haven't been ruled out but Knox and Poyer have

I think we may see Phillips this week, or at least he might be a game-time decision. 

Edmunds I expect to see miss a game, depending on how bad his hammy is, but no reason not to keep Tomlin guessing on that one.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I know, but Davis is just not the same player when he's hurt...it's night and day, actually.  Get him healthy and in the meantime, see what we've got in Hodgins and Shakir. 

based on practice videos, I think he is basically healthy now. Looked a lot better this week cutting. I think we will see a bigger role for him/target volume. Relaxxxxx

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah, me too. 

On the bright side, Quintin Morris looks like a find even though he's more of a Gilliam "tweener" type and his blocking needs improvement - he clearly took a big step.

On the downside, signing OJ Howard only to watch $3.125M of guaranteed money flutter out the window really bummed me out.  I had hopes.  Was he really worse than Sweeney?

I think TE are important to Dorsey's vision of the O he wants to run.  Why is it so hard for us to find one?

That's got to be the ultimate question, was Howard really that much worse than Sweeney? 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.