Full Chris Simms Visit with Josh Allen

Giuseppe Tognarelli

I'm assuming this is what they'll be taking tid bits from for the pregame show next week. Really cool look into multiple topics. 

-In depth talk about Josh's mechanics.

-His approach to wr option routes in which simms says he's never heard of before.

-How many times a game he truly unleashes his arm and when he figured out he needed to pick and choose when to do it.

-Really cool talk about his approach to scramble/broken plays.

-When Mcdermott ultimately tossed him the keys to the car.

Its fairly long at 33 minutes but once it got rolling it was real easy to sit through. I highly recommend.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 8

Super interesting.  Best content of the pre-season.

Josh is always good, but Chris really brought up good questions and led the interview well.  He might not have been a good QB, but the fact that he was a QB in the NFL gave him some insight to get the most out of Josh.  FWIW he was also the first national guy that I recognized getting on the Josh Allen Train.

Definitely worth a watch.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Saw this earlier today. It's great. I like Simms a lot and these kind of interviews are far more interesting than appearances on things like Cowherd. 

I think the fact that he's interviewing him while throwing the ball back and forth probably helps with a more natural talk, instead of just sitting there across a desk or looking at a screen

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wjag said:

His discussion of his release point, spirals in the wind and preferring to throw against the wind were interesting to me.

It also explains a ton about his overthrows with the wind at his back. Imagine a new stadium where the swirling wings are toned down.

5 hours ago, HansLanda said:

Allen doesn't really lift with his upper body. Kinda crazy, but I get it. He does get leg day in though.

I don't think he told the whole story about how he trains upper body.  I don't think you have the arm strength to grab an NFL LB by the face mask and take them down one handed or pull a LB out of bounds with you, if you aren't doing some form of upper body strength training.  

I know we got some guys on here who are fitness trainers - some kind of functional strength or plyometric training?  Low weight, high rep free weights?

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think he told the whole story about how he trains upper body.  I don't think you have the arm strength to grab an NFL LB by the face mask and take them down one handed or pull a LB out of bounds with you, if you aren't doing some form of upper body strength training.  

I know we got some guys on here who are fitness trainers - some kind of functional strength or plyometric training?  Low weight, high rep free weights?

Or use one defender as human shield against another defender then stiff arm a mid air Aaron Donald and throw away the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

Some real cool stuff in there.  Can tell Josh has really thought through and worked on so many details.  The bit about how he sets up to the left b/c he knows if he has to quick go right he can get there from that position.  Also thought it was interesting he is really focused on not overthrowing - for touch balls doesn't have to be perfect, just in a position where receiver can go get it, and defender can't.

Also thought it was interesting he really doesn't lift for his upper body - wants to stay flexible.  Does a lot of dead lifts.  Country strong indeed.  I still think there's going to come a time in the future where he really focuses on his diet and body and is going to hit a whole new level of strength/athleticism - hasn't come close to the ceiling yet.

36 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Some real cool stuff in there.  Can tell Josh has really thought through and worked on so many details.  The bit about how he sets up to the left b/c he knows if he has to quick go right he can get there from that position.  Also thought it was interesting he is really focused on not overthrowing - for touch balls doesn't have to be perfect, just in a position where receiver can go get it, and defender can't.

Also thought it was interesting he really doesn't lift for his upper body - wants to stay flexible.  Does a lot of dead lifts.  Country strong indeed.  I still think there's going to come a time in the future where he really focuses on his diet and body and is going to hit a whole new level of strength/athleticism - hasn't come close to the ceiling yet.

He mentioned at the Pebble Beach Pro Am that he wasn't sure what to do about diet and so forth - whether to hire a chef, what diet to follow etc.

I wonder if he made a decision and if eating a better diet helped, as well as changing his workout (less workouts).  I was struck that he mentioned he rested more and worked out less this off season and came in hitting or beating every benchmark he had, besides feeling really good.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I’m a fitness pro by trade. Working with numerous high school and college athletes. It’s not hard to believe he doesn’t train much upper body. His proportions would hint towards that. He’s a large dude but not overly impressive from an aesthetic standpoint up top. There’s plenty of athletes that are just so friggin naturally strong or have such elite control of their bodies and leverages that it’s hard to believe they can achieve what they do with minimal lifting. 

Other than routine “arm care”/mobility work, my pitchers and the handful of qb’s I’ve worked with dont get much in the way of traditional upper body strength training. With somebody that gifted you really don’t wanna screw with much up top other than keeping things healthy and mobile. But, just like he said,  they get plenty of lower body/hip work along with trunk rotation work. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I’m a fitness pro by trade. Working with numerous high school and college athletes. It’s not hard to believe he doesn’t train much upper body. His proportions would hint towards that. He’s a large dude but not overly impressive from an aesthetic standpoint up top. There’s plenty of athletes that are just so friggin naturally strong or have such elite control of their bodies and leverages that it’s hard to believe they can achieve what they do with minimal lifting. 

Other than routine “arm care”/mobility work, my pitchers and the handful of qb’s I’ve worked with dont get much in the way of traditional upper body strength training. With somebody that gifted you really don’t wanna screw with much up top other than keeping things healthy and mobile. But, just like he said,  they get plenty of lower body/hip work along with trunk rotation work. 

He went through years at a D1 school and a strength and conditioning program when he got into the league 

he’s done plenty of upper body in his life … He probably just doesn’t hit the bench heavy anymore and stuff like that because it’s bad for shoulders with not good technique 

He probably is  a lot more about flexibility than bulk at this point because he is already a big qb… now it’s about maintaining 

Edited by Buffalo716

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He went through years at a D1 school and a strength and conditioning program when he got into the league 

he’s done plenty of upper body in his life … He probably just doesn’t hit the bench heavy anymore and stuff like that because it’s bad for shoulders with not good technique 

He probably is  a lot more about flexibility than bulk at this point because he is already a big qb… now it’s about maintaining 

He’s bigger now than he ever was in college. And that’s happened, by his own admission, without hitting traditional upper body work.  I would be willing to bet he didn’t hit many traditional upper body moves in college either. His upper body really isn’t all that developed and wasn’t when he came in. 

Generally you don’t do anything that could screw with a with an arm like that other than general maintenance/mobility and some posterior shoulder/upper back work to help with arm deceleration/injury prevention. I’m confident the bills knew that when they put him into their own program coming into the league. 

…. But I come on here to specifically not talk about work. So that’ll be that for me. 

28 minutes ago, eball said:

Finally had a chance to watch the whole thing.  All I can say is “wow.”

Right?!? One of the best and most in depth football interviews I’ve ever watched. Very cool look into Allen and his game. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Right?!? One of the best and most in depth football interviews I’ve ever watched. Very cool look into Allen and his game.

I probably don’t have to say this to most fans on this board (particularly those 40 and older), but we need to just sit back and soak this all in for the next however many years.  I think we’ve got the NFL’s Tiger Woods on our roster (minus the hookers) and when it’s all said and done it’s going to be an amazing story.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, eball said:

I probably don’t have to say this to most fans on this board (particularly those 40 and older), but we need to just sit back and soak this all in for the next however many years.  I think we’ve got the NFL’s Tiger Woods on our roster (minus the hookers) and when it’s all said and done it’s going to be an amazing story.

Well I’m 37. So close enough. I agree 100%. There are times I get caught up in the “win now” or “Super Bowl or bust” mindset and have to check myself. Remind myself to just enjoy as much of it as possible. 

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Anyone else notice at 5:20ish josh looks really shaky. I'm sure it paranoia but scares me a lil cause thats how I was before I quit drinking. Maybe nerves? Could totally be over reading just something I noticed

you're being serious with this?

• Haha (+1) 1

Great watch. A 30 minute tutorial on why Josh Allen is a pain in the butt to play against. Simms was spot on when he said there have only been a few in history who can do what he does on the field. It’s not easy for defenses to have to defend the entire field on every play. And JA is still only beginning to figure out the position. 

It’s almost unfair. 

23 hours ago, HansLanda said:

Allen doesn't really lift with his upper body. Kinda crazy, but I get it. He does get leg day in though.

I totally get why he doesn’t and love that this popped up.
    Pliability which allows him to be a whip and use quick twitch. Upper body lifting would bulk him up which would tighten him up and slow him( and the ball speed) down. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.