Looming Stefon Diggs Contract situation - What do you do?

CountDorkula

What to do with Diggs  

232 members have voted

1. 1. IF Diggs wants a Hill type contract what do you do?

• Pay the man his money
    • Trade him for a Hill type return

You play it out this season - and based on cap numbers, needs, and most importantly if a young guy on a rookie deal emerges as a WR1 (Davis, this year's draft pick?) I think there is a good chance he isn't back in 2023.  If I'm looking at this right he would count as 4 million against the cap if released and save us 14 million.  

If he performs at elite level - you have options.  Try and extend - or he's elite trade bait.  

I think it's 50-50 he's a Bill beyond 2022

3 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

For those who are advocating to trade Diggs after this year, who will be his replacement?

The idea here should be to surround Allen with as much talent as possible, not the reverse.

Like I just said - I'm not advocating that.  A clear WR 1 would have to emerge.  Lots can change between now and next March.  

Edited by Big Blitz

6 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

I do think the draft will be telling in the direction they plan to move with Diggs 

I disagree, bringing in a round 1 WR is just plain smart.  The drafted WR might be more of a hedge on an outrageous Davis demand. 

I believe Diggs is a core member of this team and you pay him.

Let's not disarm like the Chiefs and Packers. I get that both teams might have been dealing with players who wanted to go from a SB contender to an also-ran, but why would we want to get rid of our best WR for draft picks that HOPEFULLY could be as good in a couple years from now and probably won't be because Diggs is a top WR in this league?

I would make the decision that we are going to pay Knox and Diggs and find a way to make it work. If Oliver and Edmunds need to go next offseason or whenever due to not having $$ to extend then so be it. 

If I had to choose 2 between Diggs, Knox and Tre White I pick Diggs and Knox. 

With the rules the way they are and the game the way it is, I would prioritize surrounding Allen with weapons and protection, because the "#1 defense" couldn't stop a nosebleed in the KC game against a top offense. These top offenses have too much talent and speed. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

Love Diggs... but... he is 29 years old this year. 

I have reservations about committing stupid money to a 30 year old WR.

Do a Von Miller type 3 year deal.  Real money for adams and Hill is 22 and 25 mil per year.  Do it now use he current deal to message the cap hit.  Go get it.  Kc is retooling but Hill is a massive blow.  Strike now.  

• Like (+1) 1

Got to hope he is OK with taking less money to stay on a competitive team. Adam’s and Hill destroyed the WR market but maybe Diggs takes 22.5 to 25 million with a heftier guarantee as opposed to dam near 30 million. 

If Diggs isn’t willing to take less then play out the year and trade him for a haul.

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

3 Receptions, 7 yards vs. KC in the playoff game.  And we still scored 36 points.

The chiefs gameplan was to take away Diggs and force the Bills to beat them with anyone BUT Diggs. Thats exactly what the Bills did. Without Diggs the Bills arent in that game

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Got to hope he is OK with taking less money to stay on a competitive team. Adam’s and Hill destroyed the WR market but maybe Diggs takes 22.5 to 25 million with a heftier guarantee as opposed to dam near 30 million. 

If Diggs isn’t willing to take less then play out the year and trade him for a haul.

Real money that is what each got.  They look bigger than are.  Rousenhaus pumps out those inflated numbers all the time.

• Agree 1

The NFL is at a crossroads when it comes to WRs.

On the one hand, they’re getting paid more than ever because of their importance to a successful passing game, which is THE thing that an NFL team needs to have to be successful.

On the other hand, due to the proliferation of 7 on 7 leagues and spread offenses and such, more and more of them are coming out every year. Super talented guys who are ready right out of the box. This, in turn, will lead to a DE-valuation of WRs, which we’re already seeing this offseason.

So here’s what generally seems to be happening: teams hoping to take the next step on offense are shelling out big bucks for good WRs, trading for them, giving them mega contracts, whatever. Teams who already have a good offense and, most especially, already have a franchise QB (and the financial implications that go with paying one) are saying “we can replace the WR. Our QB and our system will still succeed”. See: Mahomes and Rodgers.

So…since the Bills have (and have to pay) Josh Allen, since they’ll need to keep a good team around him and allocate money to more important and less replaceable positions, and since more and more ready, high quality WRs are coming into the league than ever…

As much as I love Diggs, I say you draft a couple youngsters to pair with Davis, let him play out his contract (if he will do so without complaint) and then trade him or let him walk. This is the new NFL. WRs are slowly going the way of RBs with regard to replaceability.

5 minutes ago, wnyguy said:

So is quoting his stats from the KC game. 

3 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

The chiefs gameplan was to take away Diggs and force the Bills to beat them with anyone BUT Diggs. Thats exactly what the Bills did. Without Diggs the Bills arent in that game

So you want a $30 million/year decoy.  Good plan.

Not much looming, apart from he's up for a new deal in 2 years. Diggs has the #5 highest cap hit of any WR in the NFL. 

He's paid pretty well. 

We will see if the ridiculous Adams contract sets the market. Would not be the first time the Raiders have gone way off the market and things balanced back out.

28 million per year for WRs who touch the ball 5-10 times per game is not only comical, it's totally unsustainable.

If you go back and bring up the historical SB winners and break down how much $ they spend on WRs it does not resonate.

Edited by RichRiderBills

I have no problem paying Diggs into his 30s.  He loses some speed, slide him into the slot and will beast for a few years too.   

1 minute ago, Rico said:

Yes. Draft Olave, then win a SB and trade him.

What we do at Corner than.  Reason we lost to Kc gets bigger.  

37 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

For those who are advocating to trade Diggs after this year, who will be his replacement?

The idea here should be to surround Allen with as much talent as possible, not the reverse.

We aren't "advocating" for it.  We're saying we shouldn't pay him Tyreek Hill money.  

If that's what he wants, then it's time to move on.  

Most of us with this opinion are the same ones pounding the table for WR at 25.  

And if we end up having to trade him next year, we draft another WR high next year.  

If elite WR's are making mid-level QB money, and we have 40M+ tied up in Allen, we need to be drafting a WR high, minimum, every 2 years.  

Look what he's done with a RD3 TE and RD4 WR.  Give the man a high pick WR for the love of God...

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Play this season out.  Win a super bowl.  Trade him.  

I love everything about Diggs, his skill set, his relationship with JA and the team but this is probably the correct take.   I'd be open to the possibility of resigning him for close to the 20 mil range(which i doubt he would go for) if the Bills don't resign Edmunds.   I dont think we can afford both players next year nor do I think its good to have 80% of your cap tied up in a handful of players

• Like (+1) 1

Voted to trade him. But that comes with many what if’s. If he wants a Hill type contract? No. If he becomes a Hill type diva? No. If we don’t draft a WR this year to potential replace him? No. If we don’t win a SB this year and have one more year of Diggs in win now mode? No. 

Every what if changes things. 

4 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I have no problem paying Diggs into his 30s.  He loses some speed, slide him into the slot and will beast for a few years too.   

2nd round CB works for me.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

We didn't lose to KC because of our CB's..

We lost because Addison/Hughes were the kings of "pressure", no sacks.  

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This is stupid. Where's the option to let him play out his contract and walk?

It just doesn't really happen with star players.  

Next off-season, the only likely options are extend or trade.  I see zero scenarios where he plays a lame duck year with the Bills. 

2 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

With seeing these escalating WR salaries and Diggs looking to be paid as a top WR. What do you do?

You keep talking with him.  I have seen nothing that suggests Diggs wouldn’t be willing to work with the Bills to stay put.

He has been a great team mate and has not complained publicly about his contract at all.  

My guess is both your options are wrong.  They work out a nice deal to make him happy, but maintain flexibility.

Beane seems to be very open and talks to the guys and has a plan - not worried - go win a SB and then deal with things.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.