Minimum for a Diggs extension is set

Buffalo_Stampede

1 hour ago, FarrellsFinest said:

Trade him as soon as he ask for more money. Thats what is going to have to happen. A first and a second like GB got would be great. 

He's one of my favorite players, but I think this is right. A first round rookie costs you less than $3M against the cap and they get considerably cheaper the later you draft them. Gabe Davis carries a $1m cap hit the next two years. Maybe we get to keep Diggs, but it means that the WRs behind him are forever a revolving door. Alternatively, maybe you get to keep davis for 1/3-1/2 of what you pay diggs and you get to have a couple of those guys plus rookies.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

17 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

He's one of my favorite players, but I think this is right. A first round rookie costs you less than $3M against the cap and they get considerably cheaper the later you draft them. Gabe Davis carries a $1m cap hit the next two years. Maybe we get to keep Diggs, but it means that the WRs behind him are forever a revolving door. Alternatively, maybe you get to keep davis for 1/3-1/2 of what you pay diggs and you get to have a couple of those guys plus rookies.

Yes, we should trade Allen while we are at it as well. Having cap space and draft picks is what really matters.

Edited by Beast
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think it's funny that fans just assume we will extend Diggs because he's great now. I trust that Beane is looking deeper than that. Diggs is paid through age 30. Trading him at age 30 is the perfect play. There is too much great receiving talent coming out in the draft each year to justify paying a receiver over the age of 30 like a quarterback.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, FarrellsFinest said:

Trade him as soon as he ask for more money. Thats what is going to have to happen. A first and a second like GB got would be great. 

Your *****in insane if you think we’re trading away Diggs. Good way to piss off your franchise QB by doing something so stupid. I guarantee Beane will find a way to extend his contract. Josh also said before that he would restructure his contract if they ever asked him to

I’ve said it before, WR isn’t a premium, in demand position. There are receivers coming out every year ready for the NFL. I’d be hard pressed to pay Diggs $25M/yr and I love everything about him from his leadership to his play on the field. Save that money for the QBs, OTs, DEs, and CBs. Those positions are all talent starved.

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I think it's funny that fans just assume we will extend Diggs because he's great now. I trust that Beane is looking deeper than that. Diggs is paid through age 30. Trading him at age 30 is the perfect play. There is too much great receiving talent coming out in the draft each year to justify paying a receiver over the age of 30 like a quarterback.

Absolutely right. We should do the same with Tre and Edmunds too. The only one that truly matters now is Allen.

• Thank you (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

A lot of money.

Moore is coming off his rookie deal, 4 yrs / $11M.

Different situation.

9 hours ago, Rigotz said:

As much as you guys are gonna hate this…

Draft a WR in the 1st and hope to ride the next two years out, then move on when he turns 30.

Can’t keep paying everyone $20M/Yr+ and this draft is really talented at WR.

You do not want an angry locker room the next couple years. They'll pay him. How much is another issue. He's a core player.

Edited by Thurman#1

21 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I’ve said it before, WR isn’t a premium, in demand position. There are receivers coming out every year ready for the NFL. I’d be hard pressed to pay Diggs $25M/yr and I love everything about him from his leadership to his play on the field. Save that money for the QBs, OTs, DEs, and CBs. Those positions are all talent starved.

I think you are wrong about WR not being a premium position, it is.  That said, I don’t think it should be.  There’s 2 out there every play at minimum.  

2 things, 1)Diggs should have been extended before the market reset, reallly felt Beane blew that before things went batshit crazy.

2) Diggs is not the type of WR you pay big for.  He small, not explosive, a possession WR.  I like him, but he’s not the guy that can take any DB and over power, out run, out jump them and make the big plays.  He’s a great route runner, does pretty well off the line, finds space.  He catches a lot of balls bc of it, but still little after catch and not a great RZ target.  Fan boys are going to point to TDs, great, but how often are they in goal line situations?   Great between the 20s.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I think you are wrong about WR not being a premium position, it is.  That said, I don’t think it should be.  There’s 2 out there every play at minimum.  

2 things, 1)Diggs should have been extended before the market reset, reallly felt Beane blew that before things went batshit crazy.

2) Diggs is not the type of WR you pay big for.  He small, not explosive, a possession WR.  I like him, but he’s not the guy that can take any DB and over power, out run, out jump them and make the big plays.  He’s a great route runner, does pretty well off the line, finds space.  He catches a lot of balls bc of it, but still little after catch and not a great RZ target.  Fan boys are going to point to TDs, great, but how often are they in goal line situations?   Great between the 20s.

I think the league is flooded with good to great WRs, but it doesn’t hold true for those other positions - QB, DE, OTs, and CBs. In that sense I don’t recognize it as a premium position. Similar to RB, it’s not starving for talent. The only WRs I’d break the bank for are the physical freak, future HoFers like Randy Moss. I wouldn’t allow anyone else to approach obscene numbers like $30M/yr, I’d have a percentage allocation of the cap for replaceable positions if I were GM.

On 3/19/2022 at 9:35 PM, JayBaller10 said:

I think the league is flooded with good to great WRs, but it doesn’t hold true for those other positions - QB, DE, OTs, and CBs. In that sense I don’t recognize it as a premium position. Similar to RB, it’s not starving for talent. The only WRs I’d break the bank for are the physical freak, future HoFers like Randy Moss. I wouldn’t allow anyone else to approach obscene numbers like $30M/yr, I’d have a percentage allocation of the cap for replaceable positions if I were GM.

We agree on that!  No way I’d touch that Adams contract.  The guy is going to get at best 10 catches a game (average) and yes, maybe they make some that others wouldn’t, but I don’t think it’s the difference between winning and losing as much as people make it out to be.  Diggs is a guy I really wouldn’t pay, no physical traits that scare you, he’s really a small possession WR.  I love him, puts up good numbers, but a huge difference maker? No.  John Brown put up over 1k here, Robert Foster looked like an NFL player with Josh.  Josh will make any WR look good.  I would be drafting one early this year and look to the future of a reasonable extension for Davis and letting Diggs walk.  DJ Chark is getting more than Diggs right now, so he’s underpaid, but you can’t give him what the market will and expect to keep winning, he’s not the game breaker you need at 20+ a year.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Sorry, Stef…you’re under contract for two more years…

Until he decides to sit.. he’s getting low balled and knows it, they will have to do something with him.  I don’t support that, but it’s life in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Until he decides to sit.. he’s getting low balled and knows it, they will have to do something with him.  I don’t support that, but it’s life in the NFL.

$14M isn’t outrageously low, and Diggs willl be 30 when his current deal expires…paying a guy already under contract more $ is the kind of thing you might have to pass on when your QB is no longer on his rookie deal…

Edited by mannc
  • Agree 1

On 3/18/2022 at 3:16 PM, MJS said:

Yep, he is going to command at least $18 million per year plus.

Based on the contracts this offseason, $18M per will be a discount. Not to mention, he has probably been a bit underpaid the last few years. 

2 hours ago, mannc said:

$14M isn’t outrageously low, and Diggs willl be 30 when his current deal expires…paying a guy already under contract more $ is the kind of thing you might have to pass on when your QB is no longer on his rookie deal…

Beane will manage this correctly.....I have faith in him.

Diggs knows we are in a championship window

• Agree 1

Diggs is a great player, but can somebody smarter than me explain the pretty drastic drop off in his catch rate in 2021?  From 75% to 62%.  To the naked eye, it just seemed like he didn’t fight as hard for the ball as he did in 2020.  Was the oblique injury from the end of the 2020 season still not 100%? 

On 3/18/2022 at 9:33 PM, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Your *****in insane if you think we’re trading away Diggs. Good way to piss off your franchise QB by doing something so stupid. I guarantee Beane will find a way to extend his contract. Josh also said before that he would restructure his contract if they ever asked him to

Not that there is any similarity in character, but look what happened to Houston when they traded away their best receiver. Make sure the vision is clear and everyone is confided with. Trusting Beane is getting easy though.

I don't think we should though. He would take less and Josh would help. KEEP HIM!

Edited by DieHardBillsFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.