Are We Setting Ourselves Up For Disappointment?

H2o

7 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

With salary cap like it is I'm not expecting a big move signing. 

A lot better situation than having a mediocre roster and $40+M cap space and doing nothing, like in one of Ralph’s last tears.

• Like (+1) 1

Not expecting much.  Worst part is there are a few players at need positions for us.  Will see a bargain basement receiver with “potential” and a cheap vet defensive lineman.  Maybe Gronk is the splash.

Beane will clear cap space, but won’t mortgage the future in the process.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, H2o said:

I know we, the fans, are hype about FA. Our team is finally good again and positioned to be that way for a while. We're seeing the Bills linked to a bunch of big names and seeing reports that some have even reached out to us. We are really just an impact player or two away from hoisting a Lombardi. I can't help but think that maybe we're expecting too much and aren't going to see the big moves we were hoping for. Hope I'm wrong, but going big in FA doesn't seem like Beane/McDermott style. 

the only people upset are the armchair GM’s who think they have the answers

Beane has done a good job getting FA’s overall but 

FA can be as much as a bust as the draft. 

Sometimes you hit the lottery and sometimes you don’t.  

Bottom line

The Bills spent a lot of $ last season and are now low on $ for 2022. 

8 hours ago, H2o said:

I know we, the fans, are hype about FA. Our team is finally good again and positioned to be that way for a while. We're seeing the Bills linked to a bunch of big names and seeing reports that some have even reached out to us. We are really just an impact player or two away from hoisting a Lombardi. I can't help but think that maybe we're expecting too much and aren't going to see the big moves we were hoping for. Hope I'm wrong, but going big in FA doesn't seem like Beane/McDermott style. 

Who is this "we" ?  The Bills ended February with negative cap space.  Beane said it wouldn't be as tight as last year, and that we would look outside the roster to fill from some FA that are leaving.

Last year we signed Sanders for $6M and Trubisky for $2.5.

People who expect us to run out and sign Chandler Jones and Rob Gronkowski and trade for CMC are just nuts.  They are setting themselves up, sure.

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

I’m not expecting anything earth shattering - there won’t be any Emmanuel Sanders signings this year. 

Beane said this year would not be as tight as last year

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m not expecting much so anything we get is a bonus I think we are going to go with the status quo

We can't go with the status quo.  We have 1 1TDT and 1 3TDT on the roster (and most people want to wave "bye" to the 1T).  We have 1 CB rehabbing his ACL and a 3rd year "zone only" small guy.  We also have our LG (rehabbing an ACL) and our backup LG/C as FA

Status quo not an option

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, H2o said:

If you expect a big time signing then you are likely to be disappointed, if you just want a winning season then you are being realistic.

10 hours ago, H2o said:

We’re Bills fans. Of course we’re setting ourselves up for disappointment.

wide right

homerun throw back

13 seconds

Remember the good ol' days when Ralph Wilson and Mike Brown (Bengals) would do battle as to see who can field a team with the most cap space available😂

I'm not expecting much as far as "splash" acquisition. I expect Beane and McD to again sign competent vet players to fill positions of need while hoping they nail the draft.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol Bills need a sharpener on the sidelines...

I truly believe switching horses now could easily have a negative effect.  Who is out there that would be a guaranteed upgrade?

I'm hoping we land another passing option since we could be without Sanders, Beasley and McKenzie. With Hughes, Addison and Butler gone a veteran Dlineman or two be nice. If Levi walks a veteran CB in the mix be nice as would be a OG.

I think the biggest names we could see would be Gronk or Engram. Jamison Crowder be a nice one year slot option. Chandler Jones be nice but not sure we have the cap for him. Xavier Rhodes could be a veteran CB that likely not break the bank. Austin Corbett be nice but Bates played down the stretch so might get a lesser name to provide depth. I haven't really looked to see who's out there but like in other offseasons I think we look for role players that produce but aren't the big names most familiar with.

13 hours ago, H2o said:

Adding a big name or 2 to the roster is always welcome, but we are definitely NOT "a big name or 2 away" from winning a SB.  We have all that we need right now to win a SB.  We could have won a SB last year had we not thrown our ticket to the AFC championship game down the toilet.

If we re-played last season 10 times, we probably go to the AFC championship game 9 times, win in 5 or 6 times, and win the SB after that 2 or 3 times....with what we had and even with our best CB on the sideline.

People for some reason assume, because we didn't win a SB last year, we don't "have what we need right now."

We do.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Adding a big name or 2 to the roster is always welcome, but we are definitely NOT "a big name or 2 away" from winning a SB.  We have all that we need right now to win a SB.  We could have won a SB last year had we not thrown our ticket to the AFC championship game down the toilet.

If we re-played last season 10 times, we probably go to the AFC championship game 9 times, win in 5 or 6 times, and win the SB after that 2 or 3 times....with what we had and even with our best CB on the sideline.

People for some reason assume, because we didn't win a SB last year, we don't "have what we need right now."

We do.

For the most part I agree. If we were to re-sign all of our FA'S. The only real upgrade needed in my opinion would be a Better CB2 and a RB. Give me a better CB2 and an upgrade to Moss/Brieda at RB, and I am good with running it back. Of course White would have to be 100%. Problem is, it's probably not realistic to re-sign all of our FA'S. 

21 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

We do.

The Dline just isn't there man. But we are very close. Resting on our laurels will not cut it though.

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

I truly believe switching horses now could easily have a negative effect.  Who is out there that would be a guaranteed upgrade?

I agree, too deep into it to change.  But it's a problem that won't fix itself.  These are veteran coaches...

14 hours ago, H2o said:

You were setup to be disappointed the minute you became a Bills fan.  We’re all bonafide masochists.  

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I agree, too deep into it to change.  But it's a problem that won't fix itself.  These are veteran coaches...

Hopefully our coach(es) are like Allen always working on and getting better. 

For McDermott's own sake he best get better, Buffalonians are kind folk but patience is at the snapping point. He has used up his mulligan.

4 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

For McDermott's own sake he best get better, Buffalonians are kind folk but patience is at the snapping point. He has used up his mulligan.

I really don't think HC's get better with this stuff on the same team as time goes by.  Josh is morphing independently of where McD can manage this team in crunch time.  This isn't a new development either.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I really don't think HC's get better with this stuff on the same team as time goes by.  Josh is morphing independently of where McD can manage this team in crunch time.  This isn't a new development either.

True. But I think suttle changes can be quite impactful. Such as a new OL coach, ST coach and a little different thought process with a new OC. Keeping Frazier allows McDermott to spend a little more time with the new coaches and learn as well. I think we will see more improvement this year than we would have with keeping the entire coaching staff and the status quo. Josh will grow and improve regardless of any coach. Just seems to be his nature and personality. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not paying a lot of attention, frankly.   I mean, I got a little interested when Cooper was out there, but I've come to expect two things from Beane:

1.  He will do something I didn't expect.  Like trading for Diggs.  Beane will to acquire picks, he will trade picks for players, he'll come up with something almost every year that, as far as I'm concerned, is outta left field.   So, although I don't see a big name coming to Buffalo, Beane could surprise me.  

2.  I'll be happy, generally, with what he will do.  Like for three straight years, signs Beasley and Brown, then trades for Diggs, then signs Sanders.   Repeated solid good moves to make the team better.  

Not every move will pan out, but the decisions always seem to be sound.   Often his moves leave the Bills in a position to make a second move.   He uses his resources wisely.  

I'd be happiest, I think, if Beane brought in a stud offensive lineman.  We might not even recognize it immediately, maybe a guy who grows into being your anchor for five or seven years.   I'm not sure Dawkins is a star, but if the Bills had a true stud interior lineman, a leader, I think Dawkins would become the best version of himself, so to speak. .  

• Like (+1) 3

Last year was stand pat, add a couple guys, sign their own and make another run.

We'll that didn't work.

The team failed to advance as far in the playoffs and did not achieve their ultimate goals. 

This year, they needq some heat 🔥 in free agency. 

IMO they need atleast one impact defender and a playmaking RB. 

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

Like I said last month,  Sean has already burned like 3 "screw-up" coupons.  He can't possibly have too many left. And no I'm not pitch-fork guy who wants him gone. It's refreshing having HC stability and continuity.  BUT, this notion of learning from your mistakes is NOT kicking in. I get one mulligan on the front and one on the back. Better keep your drive down the middle McShottenhiemer......

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Like I said last month,  Sean has already burned like 3 "screw-up" coupons.  He can't possibly have too many left. And no I'm not pitch-fork guy who wants him gone. It's refreshing having HC stability and continuity.  BUT, this notion of learning from your mistakes is NOT kicking in. I get one mulligan on the front and one on the back. Better keep your drive down the middle McShottenhiemer......

what were the other 2.... I haven't been keeping score....

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I had a book of 10 when I was married. Once I used all 10 it cost me Jewelry. Could no longer afford the jewelry.  Now I'm divorced...🤣🤣🤣

• Haha (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

what were the other 2.... I haven't been keeping score....

2019 Houston 16-0....poor defensive structure 2nd half.

2020  KC , were up 9-0 with early momentum. Then his defense craps the bed.

2021.....13 seconds, self explanatory. 

3 playoff loses that kept us from advancing. Defense failed in all 3 cases. And we have a Defensive HC.  Like you said Bills fans are forgiving up to a point. 

15 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

If you took away every post of yours that was some variation of "McDermott sucks," your total post count would be about 6...

And if you were to read any of your posts you'd already be asleep. Ni Ni grandpa...

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

2019 Houston 16-0....poor defensive structure 2nd half.

2020  KC , were up 9-0 with early momentum. Then his defense craps the bed.

2021.....13 seconds, self explanatory. 

3 playoff loses that kept us from advancing. Defense failed in all 3 cases. And we have a Defensive HC.  Like you said Bills fans are forgiving up to a point. 

And the beat goes on...

Something I keep hearing is "the time to win the Super Bowl is now" as reasoning that we'll be players in FA. But the same was said last season (maybe even louder) and we weren't. And we're in the exact same spot we were last season as far as the cap, with maybe even less simple ways of freeing space. And yet expectations are even HIGHER than they were at this time last year. I hope I'm wrong, but I definitely see a lot of "is Beane asleep?" and "what is Beane doing?!" posts coming over the next few days.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.