No criminal charges for Deshaun Watson; civil deposition 3/15

YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

They might want to look at the rest of the AFC before that case stays empty for quite a while. 

There would be epic games for sure.  But I would like Watsons chances.  Considering how highly he ranks in QB field of the AFC.

His 2020 season was just incredible considering the barren wasteland of talent around him.

Give him JT running the rock and that defense in a weak AFC SOUTH.

12 wins should be the minimum.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Eyeroll 1

25 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Why do people play these kinds of games? Dude wasn’t charged with anything, end of story. 

That is not the same thing as saying he didn’t do anything bad.  All it means is that they did not have enough evidence to indict him as it is a “he says she says” case.  That doesn’t mean that he did or did not do anything wrong.

23 minutes ago, Beast said:

A District Attorney's Office will also present a case to a Grand Jury to be able to say, "there wasn't enough evidence" to indict. This is why there wasn't an arrest to begin with. Both the Police and the DA's Office probably felt it was suspect to begin with but it became a high profile case. Nobody (police, DA's Office) wanted egg on their face when it shook out but they are off the hook and did their due diligence.

The whole thing sounded fishy from the start.  Young women today are ridiculous.  Did they stop putting brains in females who were born after 1995?  Seriously all they do is look at their phones and take selfies.  Glad I grew up in the 70's and 80's.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

That is not the same thing as saying he didn’t do anything bad.  All it means is that they did not have enough evidence to indict him as it is a “he says she says” case.  That doesn’t mean that he did or did not do anything wrong.

This is true. Which I’ve said he may not be the role model to look up to, but he isn’t under any legal issues so he will likely continue to be employed in the NFL. 

1. This is not unexpected.

2. It doesn't mean the women are lying. It means there is no realistic possibility of proving it beyond reasonable doubt.

3. He will play in the NFL again. It probably won't be 2022. But I expect he will start somewhere on the opening weekend of 2023.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

They sure will- guys like us would be behind bars.

Actually sexual assault is one of the least prosecuted crimes whoever is involved and that is because it is often, as in these cases, one person's word vs another, with no independant witnesses. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

2. It doesn't mean the women are lying. It means there is no realistic possibility of proving it beyond reasonable doubt.

3. He will play in the NFL again. It probably won't be 2022. But I expect he will start somewhere on the opening weekend of 2023.

You don’t think he plays this year?

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Doesn't mean they are telling the truth either.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Unfortunately some people make up crimes to get attention or money, and it ruins other honest victim’s credibility. Sadly now the courts have to do their best with what information they have. Public opinions will do what public opinions alway do, speculate based off emotions. 

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

You don’t think he plays this year?

I think there is still a civil case live and likely an adverse finding that results in an NFL suspension. Whether that is a full year or part of the year hard to say. 

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Correct, it doesn't. And the legal position is that Watson is innocent. 

But I was making the point before people jump in saying "what so 10 women are all lying?"

Edited by GunnerBill

My impression is that the plaintiffs were looking to score a neat civil suit "pay it to go away" day from Watsin, and once other interested parties got involved with their own selfish reasons, it spiraled out of their control. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think there is still a civil case live and likely an adverse finding that results in an NFL suspension. Whether that is a full year or part of the year hard to say. 

Correct, it doesn't. And the legal position is that Watson is innocent. 

But I was making the point before people jump in saying "what so 10 women are all lying?"

Exactly 22 women have accused him. Kinda doubt all of them are lying. And I'm sure there will be a civil case along with whatever the NFL does? He's not out of the woods yet.

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly 22 women have accused him. Kinda doubt all of them are lying. And I'm sure there will be a civil case along with whatever the NFL does? He's not out of the woods yet.

No, he’s certainly not out of the woods. But he’s passed an important hurdle. 

The funny thing is, something creepy happened, of that I’m sure. What it was exactly, I really don’t think I want to know. 

50 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

So now this goes away quickly when he threatens to counter sue the accusers for defamation?   Looks like he will be back. 

He can do that, if he wants to.  It's a fairly standard tactic.  But it's a double-edged sword.  It would probably be better to settle with a non-disclosure agreement and no acknowledgement of guilt.

43 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

On the criminal side, there is no financial gain for anyone.  And while criminal cases are much harder to prove at trial (higher standard of proof), the standard of proof to get a grand jury indictment isn't that high.  Thus, if there is no indictment, it makes me think that maybe there's not as much to this as I originally thought.

The saying is "a good district attorney could persuade a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich".  But if a district attorney/prosecutor does not exercise that power of persuasion, I don't think it follows that "no indictment = nothing to the case".  There could be a plethora of reasons, including influence, political, evidentiary, etc.

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The saying is "a good district attorney could persuade a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich".  But if a district attorney/prosecutor does not exercise that power of persuasion, I don't think it follows that "no indictment = nothing to the case".  There could be a plethora of reasons, including influence, political, evidentiary, etc.

I agree with this, but it still makes me think that this case isn't the slam dunk it originally appeared to be.  I do believe that Watson acted in an untoward way to some women, but I now don't think it's as egregious or widespread as I originally did.  Plaintiffs attorneys taking advantage of the potential for great financial gain against a defendant with deep pockets is not a new thing.  I say all of this with a giant disclaimer - this is only my opinion. 

I don't know what Watson did, what he didn't do, and if he did something, how egregious it was.  The lack of a criminal indictment makes me think that the fact pattern isn't as damning to Watson as I previously believed.  If the facts were extremely strong, even a poor prosecutor would have gotten a criminal indictment.  To add to the comment about influence/political reasons, prosecutors and police are less inclined to stick their necks out against a high profile defendant (with a high profile lawyer) if the facts aren't air tight.  Nobody likes to lose or look like they are incompetent.  On the other hand, if the facts ARE air tight, prosecutors love the limelight provided by winning a high profile case.  Legal careers are often made on high profile cases, and beyond legal careers there are book deals, movies, etc.  That isn't going to happen here.

Edited by msw2112

43 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He is out of the woods in the sense that he will now get to continue his career. But there is still a civil case and a suspension. But the "he will never play again" is now for the birds. It might take another year but he will play football again.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.