Packers and Rodgers agree to deal. 4 year 200 million

BillsMafi$

15 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

What a wasted pick Jordan Love turned out to be. 

11 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

A lot of 1st round picks are wasted. Isn't it something like a 50% fail rate and even higher for QBs?

He's following Rodgers career track.

Sit behind someone for 3 years before starting. 

30 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

$50M a year to get drama every year about wanting a trade to another team/mulling retirement, along with going no further than the NFC championship game…bad decision by the Packers!

Ya gotta remember, the owners are so freaking rich with revenue sources, (and not just from football) it doesn’t really matter to them,  the league is the owners/the owners are the league.

The NFL is owned by 32 owners groups/ partners. They are richer beyond one hundred lifetimes worth of income of any of us here. It’s a whole different financial world that the owners live in. 

55 minutes ago, Process said:

Love is going to ask for a trade at some point. Packers will get what, a 4th at most?

They traded UP into the first to draft him.

Lol

Why? Just sit and let the legend around you grow. Let the Packers pay you until FA, and they will either pay you to replaced Rodgers or let you walk so some dumb team like the Bears can sign you to a $10M AAV deal

Smartest move for Rodgers by far. 

If he can ever win some playoff games the Super Bowl berth is there for the taking in the NFC. 

As far as Jordan Love goes, he's getting paid a decent salary to back up a multiple time MVP. Everyone loves the backup QB. Stand there in your Packers cap cheerleading the team on and "be the future" while taking no hits, enduring no criticism, and learning more and more about the game. 

He will have earned almost $13 million just for his 4 year rookie deal. IMO he's not very good, so if he plays the gravy train ends. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

A lot of 1st round picks are wasted. Isn't it something like a 50% fail rate and even higher for QBs?

Yeah a lot of 1st rounders fail, or bust, especially QBs.  But to draft a player that you are not going to use for 5 years is just a waste. I think they even traded up. In theory, I guess that had to prepare for life after Aaron Rodgers. I'm not saying Love is or is going to be a bust, but the pick itself is looking like a bust so far. But who knows, Love might step in 4 or 5 years down the road and light the league on fire and then the pick is genius lol. 

Denver fans in shambles. They really thought Nate Hackett is so special that Rodgers was going to follow him. LOL.

Also, this deal isnt that huge. Josh will be making similar money (and even $51M) in a couple years. I'll take Josh everyday, but Rodgers is a pretty good QB too.

Would rather give Rodgers $50M/yr than Kirk Cousins $45M/yr.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

$50M a year to get drama every year about wanting a trade to another team/mulling retirement, along with going no further than the NFC championship game…bad decision by the Packers!

One game further than Bills made it last year. Glass houses...

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Denver fans in shambles. They really thought Nate Hackett is so special that Rodgers was going to follow him. LOL.

Also, this deal isnt that huge. Josh will be making similar money (and even $51M) in a couple years. I'll take Josh everyday, but Rodgers is a pretty good QB too.

Would rather give Rodgers $50M/yr than Kirk Cousins $45M/yr.

Exactly. Rodgers is twice the QB Cousins is and yet the salaries are not that far apart

1 hour ago, bills6969 said:

4 years 200 mill

thats a lot of guac for a guy that can’t get the job done in the playoffs.

He’s objectively a better playoff QB than Brady. It takes 22 players to win.

19 minutes ago, Rico said:

The only stat that matters.

It’s official. Trent Dilfer > Dan Marino.

Edited by gobills404

4 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

And now with the cap savings the Packers will franchise Adams.

It always cracks me up when a player signs the biggest contract in history and then the team's like, Oh! It actually saves us money, so now we can sign back X player too!

The cap is a joke.

yep, and yet every season people here stress about it. The Packers were $50M over the cap yesterday and now they'll keep Rodgers and Adams....unpossible

22 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

Yeah a lot of 1st rounders fail, or bust, especially QBs.  But to draft a player that you are not going to use for 5 years is just a waste. I think they even traded up. In theory, I guess that had to prepare for life after Aaron Rodgers. I'm not saying Love is or is going to be a bust, but the pick itself is looking like a bust so far. But who knows, Love might step in 4 or 5 years down the road and light the league on fire and then the pick is genius lol. 

He is a bust so far, but I can't fault the Packers for it. It was a CYA move. And he was pick 26. They traded a 4th to move up from 30. Not like he was a top ten pick.

• Like (+1) 1

Allen looking like a bargain right now.

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

Without a doubt.  

The man threw 4 INTs all year and had 2 in the first game of the season.  

I don't care what anyone says, Rodgers is the best QB I've ever seen.

Until he gets to the playoffs and goes into a safe shell playing not to lose.

50 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

All Jordan ever was - was a safety net.  The Pack protected themselves and now in a bad QB draft year - they can work to trade him to a QB needy team. 

They lose a bit of capital, but it protected them in case this played out different.  In a deep WR class - this might get them another potential WR to help.

This is the perfect year to try and trade Love - lots of open jobs and few viable legitimate options.

As for the Bills - so glad we got Allen in before this off season. This deal should drive up Carr, Cousin, and Stafford and by extension - Lamar, Mayfield, Burrow, and Murray.

🎉

Jordan Love hasn't shown enough for any team to be interested in trading for him.  GB doesn't have to do anything with him until the 2023 season.  Right now, their best option is to keep him for another season & figure a way, either in preseason or a season finale with a locked in playoff spot, to increase his market value because right now it isn't much.  Plus they would have to find a new backup QB.  

No matter how bad this year's class is, none of them has played as poorly in the NFL as Love has.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Allen looking like a bargain right now.

Until he gets to the playoffs and goes into a safe shell playing not to lose.

Can't hit every year.  He's usually a stud in playoffs and the defense let's him down.  I think in 7 of his 10 playoff losses the Packers defense has given up 31 or more points.  There's a couple 40-50 point games in there as well.

8 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Can't hit every year.  He's usually a stud in playoffs and the defense let's him down.  I think in 7 of his 10 playoff losses the Packers defense has given up 31 or more points.  There's a couple 40-50 point games in there as well.

Ehh, I've watched him enough in the playoffs and he comes up empty in those games more often than not.

Nobody I am taking over Allen in the playoffs. All time leader in payoff QB rating and elevates his game when it matters most.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

At $50M you can’t afford everyone else….

Is he going to continue complaining about his lack of weapons? GB loves its drama queen and hoping that those extra dollars can be shoved into his mouth to keep it from uttering words. 

As others have pointed out, Love must have looked really bad in practice for their FO to bend over and pay Rodgers

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Ya gotta remember, the owners are so freaking rich with revenue sources, (and not just from football) it doesn’t really matter to them,  the league is the owners/the owners are the league.

The NFL is owned by 32 owners groups/ partners. They are richer beyond one hundred lifetimes worth of income of any of us here. It’s a whole different financial world that the owners live in. 

Sure, the owners are filthy rich, but the NFL does not give teams an unlimited amount of money to spend on their team every year. I listened to Brandon Beane this morning on WGR talk about how the Bills are currently over the salary cap and have to figure out ways to not only get under the cap, but have money to sign their own UFA’s and their upcoming draft class. There’s no doubt Rodgers is a great QB, but is $50M a year worth it for a player who still holds a grudge against his team for drafting a QB in the first round instead of getting him help at WR?! Sure, Rodgers wins a lot of games, it also helps having to play twice a year against a mediocre Vikings team, a Bears team (who were mediocre up until this past year, now they suck) and a perennial loser in the Lions. Spending that much on a 38 year old who’s still mad at his own team is not a wise move. Packers will never get over the hump and make it back to the Superbowl with moves like this (NFC Championship game at best).

Edited by Jerry Jabber

51 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Last year I did a 20 year study of QBs by round.  I don't think I included 2020's QB class which would bump up the top 10 numbers a bit with Burrow & Herbert. Here were my findings with the success %:

Top 10 53%

Rest of 1st round: 36%

2nd round: 24%

3rd round 17%

4th round 10%

5th round 0% (over 30 busts, the last 5th round success was in the 1990s)

6th round: 10%

7th round: 5%

• Like (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

One game further than Bills made it last year. Glass houses...

Exactly. Rodgers is twice the QB Cousins is and yet the salaries are not that far apart

One game further? And how were the final 13 seconds of the Bills/Chiefs game on Allen and the offense? I don’t think Allen told Bass to boot the kickoff in the end zone or told the defense to rush four and not double cover Hill and Kelce. The only reason Rodgers won a Superbowl was the GB defense as they intercepted Rapistburger twice, otherwise, Steelers would have won that game.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.