Adam Schein: Bills have biggest Super Bowl window right now

JÂy RÛßeÒ

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-biggest-super-bowl-windows-right-now-bills-chiefs-and-49ers-top-the-list

Frankly, I don't even remotely hesitate on this. Josh Allen has morphed from great player ... to star quarterback ... to superstar and a face of the league. If Sean McDermott had just squib kicked in Kansas City with 13 seconds remaining in regulation, the Bills not only beat the Chiefs but go on to drop the Bengals and Rams, too, nabbing the franchise's first Lombardi Trophy. I truly believe that. Fortunately for Buffalo, there will be more opportunities in the coming years.

Allen makes everyone better -- and everyone is strong to begin with. Losing offensive coordinator Brian Daboll to the Giants hurts, but Ken Dorsey's an in-house promotion came with a strong stamp of approval from Allen. Significant stuff. With Stefon Diggs fresh off another Pro Bowl season and Gabriel Davis fresh off a record-setting performance, the Bills' receiving corps -- which also includes slot machine Cole Beasley -- is quite imposing. Running back Devin Singletary started to come into his own down the stretch, providing some much-needed balance in Buffalo's attack. McDermott and coordinator Leslie Frazier just churned out the No. 1 defense in points and yards allowed -- and that was despite Tre'Davious White suffering a season-ending knee injury in November. With White back in the fold next season, points will clearly come at a premium once again.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

"Their window is closing" is popular on the internet.  I'm not sure why - I don't really see it, if Beane is able to continue to manage the cap well and we have an elite QB.

Other vet QB's who were in the top tier had windows as long as their careers....

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

"Their window is closing" is popular on the internet.  I'm not sure why - I don't really see it, if Beane is able to continue to manage the cap well and we have an elite QB.

Other vet QB's who were in the top tier had windows as long as their careers....

2 minutes ago, Success said:

It’s just harder to build the team around the guy once the big numbers to his contract kick in. Look at Peyton Manning - a great QB by any measure played 18 years and “only” won two super bowls. It takes more than a great QB to get multiple Lombardi trophies.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

It’s just harder to build the team around the guy once the big numbers to his contract kick in. Look at Peyton Manning - a great QB by any measure played 18 years and “only” won two super bowls. It takes more than a great QB to get multiple Lombardi trophies.

I think that had more to do with a once in league history run by another AFC team. Just bad timing for Peyton.

• Agree 3

10 minutes ago, Success said:

It is the easy Narrative of the easiest time to win is when QB on a Rookie Deal…..  Thanks Captain Obvious reporters. 

I wonder if they are also saying the Chiefs window is closing?

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

It is the easy Narrative of the easiest time to win is when QB on a Rookie Deal…..  Thanks Captain Obvious reporters. 

I wonder if they are also saying the Chiefs window is closing?

Which in my view is odd, seeing as how there have been 3, maybe 4 teams win the Super Bowl in the last 15 years with a QB on rookie contracts.

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I mean, Manning SHOULD have more SB's.  He was always in position to get one, pretty much every year.  It didn't help that it took him years to figure out Belichick, but I can't recall seeing a team blow as many chances at the Colts, often when they were favored.

That could happen to the Bills also - but it would take some really bad luck.  

29 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

He might be right.  Quite a few Bills fans threw their sofas through their front windows after that final game.

What good is it if you have good players and stupid coaches.  After the Houston game and those 13 seconds,  I don't know if I can ever trust McDermott to make an intelligent decision again. 

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

What good is it if you have good players and stupid coaches.  After the Houston game and those 13 seconds,  I don't know if I can ever trust McDermott to make an intelligent decision again. 

Because of 13 seconds I will be extremely nervous for every game the Bills have the lead in the 4th quarter especially in the final seconds. Up by 14 with 30 seconds left. I will be screaming at the TV. "Don't you dare go and 13 seconds this game now". Only when the clock is at 0.00 will I breath easy. Thanks Sean.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Because of 13 seconds I will be extremely nervous for every game the Bills have the lead in the 4th quarter especially in the final seconds. Up by 14 with 30 seconds left. I will be screaming at the TV. "Don't you dare go and 13 seconds this game now". Only when the clock is at 0.00 will I breath easy. Thanks Sean.

Bills history should have given you this uneasiness long ago.  I'm forever uncomfortable.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Greg S said:

My anxiety with 4th quarter leads goes way further back then "13 seconds." There was that whole music city miracle thing, and that 2009 season opener against the Pats, and that Hail Murray last year. 

39 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That's a terrible take... after so many triumphs after years and years in the NFL desert, you're acting like he's Mike McCarthy.

I'm sick and tired of this "blame McDermott" line... it gets tiresome.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills' Super Bowl window is open as long as Allen is their QB, they keep a decent line in front of him, and decent skill players around him

3 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

That's a terrible take... after so many triumphs after years and years in the NFL desert, you're acting like he's Mike McCarthy.

I'm sick and tired of this "blame McDermott" line... it gets tiresome.

One of so many...

Edited by billsfan1959

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I don’t expect Tre back until week 7. I fully anticipate him on the PUP at the start of the season and why I would sign a starting CB before draft and Draft one in first. 

I think that would be the wise smart move which they seem like they would do.

1 hour ago, Success said:

I mean, Manning SHOULD have more SB's.  He was always in position to get one, pretty much every year.  It didn't help that it took him years to figure out Belichick, but I can't recall seeing a team blow as many chances at the Colts, often when they were favored.

I would add for Peyton he lost to the Charges in a game he never got the ball back and they year prior he lost 28-24 where the defense couldn't hold against Billy Volek at the end.

With that said he has some really bad games in playoff losses including the first two games vs NE and a 41-0 thrashing by the Jets. Everyone talks about Vanderjets miss in 2005 but the final score was 21-18, not exactly Peyton's best day either. The flip side is from 2006 on he generally played pretty well in playoff games even losses.

That was Beane's plan and he said so from the beginning "to be competitive now and in the future"

That is why we dont throw stupid money at high priced free agents like the Rams did (yeah...I know it worked but it didnt work for teams like the Raiders)

Draft well

coach those players up

Dont spend money on the first day of free agency

Guys, enjoy it. 

There's a solid portion of this board that can't type a word without including "13 seconds" or "but McDermott" or "It doesn't matter because of coaching" and so on.

Total downer. You're all right, but you're all also dead wrong. It's low vibration thinking and all it does is bring more pain and beget more heartbreak. Spiral upwards people, not circle down the drain.

Me personally, the only thing I want to talk about is how legendary Allen is and how good our entire team is when we're playing at the best of our abilities. I'm personally excited with Daboll gone and Allen given more control in play calling (I believe). Unfasten some of those chains. 

Every year it's a new high. A new bad "narrative" broken. How many fans are going to look like idiots next year for doubting the team? Aren't you guys sick of being proven wrong over and over again, week after week, season after season? Some of you are literally 0 for 100 when it comes to your opinions, yet somehow you never lose confidence. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Success said:

Belichik  and Cowher/Tomlin were better coaches then Dungy and Caldwell.  

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I don’t expect Tre back until week 7. I fully anticipate him on the PUP at the start of the season and why I would sign a starting CB before draft and Draft one in first. 

All depends on the severity and rehab etc…. He was injured 25 Nov…. If all goes well in the next 3-4 months he may come back sooner than week 7. I say early Oct at the latest. Usually the lighter guys can come back easier due to the amount of weight they carry or don’t carry.  

I say come July-August he will be running and after another couple months Sept-Oct he’ll be 100%. 

I agree CB at 25 is a super high possibility. If not round 1, then round 2 for sure. FA will say a lot.

3 hours ago, Success said:

Manning would have more rings if he was clutch in the playoffs. Unfortunately, he was only a great regular season QB.

3 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Beas nickname of "Slot Machine".  LOL

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

He might be right.  Quite a few Bills fans threw their sofas through their front windows after that final game.

They should just solve THEIR issues and jump off bridges.

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

The most effective method in current commissioner's tenure is cheating.

At the gym and happened to catch when asked on ESPN’s show with Max Kellerman to pick next years MVP… all 3… Max, Ninkovich and Kimberley Martin all picked Allen.  

Max with the fantastic line though…

”Josh Allen seems like he was sent from the future to destroy Patrick Mahomes”

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Even surrounded by a stacked Offense on the Colts for years,  Manning won 1 ring.  His low ring count wasn't due to budgetary issues. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

8-9 months is usually the recovery for ACL surgery and that puts him around the July/August time frame.  I think White has a chance to be back early to mid September. I wouldn’t be shocked if he was playing in the opener.

6 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Yup, it takes an elite QB who is willing to take less, so as to keep a bunch of talent around him season after season,  if said QB is willing to do the above the window is pretty much always open, as much as I dislike TB, that’s what it takes, he proved it. I feel dirty now…,

Go Bills!!!

4 hours ago, corta765 said:

I think that would be the wise smart move which they seem like they would do.

I do hope you are right, 

6 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Lets be honest.  Beyond salary cap and skill - it also takes some luck. Will the Bills finally get some of that luck? We’ll see. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.