Buffalo Bills’ salary cap ramifications of cutting DT Star Lotulelei

HOUSE

image.png.b24f34f82ddfea7f6465859e7d65306a.png

The Buffalo Bills have some choices to make this offseason, as they are up against the salary cap. One of the things they are likely to do to create some cap space is cut some veterans with big cap hits. One player that fits that description is defensive tackle Star Lotulelei, who lost his starting spot in 2021 after he contracted COVID-19.

When the Bills restructured his contract in 2020, most of us assumed it was so they could cut him in 2021. When he opted out of the 2020 season due to COVID concerns, that kicked the can down the road one year. That brings us to now, where his contract is escapable for the first time in a long time.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/2/7/22919536/buffalo-bills-salary-cap-ramifications-of-cutting-dt-star-lotulelei

I gave the article a click based on the tease "his contract is escapable for the first time in a long time."  I thought people here had it wrong.  Not really.

What it did bring to light for me was the unpleasant reality of this may be a test of the business of football vs the game.  Capwise it's a no-brainer, Star or no Star in a contract year for the difference of $1.5M.  No question you keep him.  But in money out the door it could cost the Pegula's over $3.5M.  I know what Ralph would do.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

image.png.b24f34f82ddfea7f6465859e7d65306a.png

The Buffalo Bills have some choices to make this offseason, as they are up against the salary cap. One of the things they are likely to do to create some cap space is cut some veterans with big cap hits. One player that fits that description is defensive tackle Star Lotulelei, who lost his starting spot in 2021 after he contracted COVID-19.

When the Bills restructured his contract in 2020, most of us assumed it was so they could cut him in 2021. When he opted out of the 2020 season due to COVID concerns, that kicked the can down the road one year. That brings us to now, where his contract is escapable for the first time in a long time.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/2/7/22919536/buffalo-bills-salary-cap-ramifications-of-cutting-dt-star-lotulelei

The atrocious contract Beane gave him was much like the one the Pegula's gave Rex Ryan...........so unexpectedly/undeservedly large that it only served to disincentivize the employee.    I know there isn't much cap difference between cutting him or keeping him but expecting him to repeat even what little he did this year is foolish.    If he is going to be kept I'd insist that he be there for the offseason and OTA's to prove that he cares about being the best player he can be again.    If not,  let him go so he can retire.

• Like (+1) 3

This may be unpopular but I am not in a rush to get rid of him, especially for only $1.5M in cap savings.

I think you can make an argument to justify $1.5M in cap and $3.5M in salary and bonuses for last seasons production. It's a slam dunk you think there's a chance that without missing time from COVID he would be able to maintain his early season level of production, even in a more limited role.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I gave the article a click based on the tease "his contract is escapable for the first time in a long time."  I thought people here had it wrong.  Not really.

What it did bring to light for me was the unpleasant reality of this may be a test of the business of football vs the game.  Capwise it's a no-brainer, Star or no Star in a contract year for the difference of $1.5M.  No question you keep him.  But in money out the door it could cost the Pegula's over $3.5M.  I know what Ralph would do.

The other thing is if Star is on the team this year he gets paid and has the cap hit not only for this year.  They will owe another $2.6M next year.

I've been a fan of Star earlier in his Bills tenure but now it looks to me like it's throwing good money after bad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

It's one of those things - are you better without him.  The cap savings won't get you a full replacement, but if you're using other cap to bring in a starter/phillips anyway, and you want to draft someone then its probably worth moving on simply to give the snaps to other players.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I used to look forward to this year as our opportunity to finally(!) get out from under this contract, but he was solid for us this year before he came down with Covid. For the little savings he gives us to walk, I’m probably keeping him one more year. The difference for me this year is that I wouldn’t rely on him. That’s been a failure of theirs the past couple years in my opinion. In other words, bring in some other younger players (FA or draft) to compete with him. If he ends up playing as a backup for this year, so be it. Even though the contract is what it is, you can do worse on a backup DT. Next year I’m definitely out though. 

Edited by TheProcess
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

seems to be a matter of when, post-June makes a lot of sense; more cap money saved, so he has to attend OTAs and training camp during which time we get to see things such as:

1. is he motivated and worth keeping, depth, inuries, etc - likely not and hopefully not

2. can he tutor-mentor a younger replacement - draft pick, UDFA, etc 

There are other players that have contracts with cap saving potential.

Mitch Morse 2022 cap hit 11.25M, dead cap hit 3.75M

Jordan Poyer  2022 cap hit 10.7M, dead cap hit 3.6M (keep)

Micah Hyde 2022 cap hit 10.2M, dead cap hit 5M (keep)

Daryl Williams 2022 cap hit 9.925M, dead cap hit 3.6M

Cole Beasley 2022 cap hit 7.6M, dead cap hit 1.5M

AJ Klien 2022 cap hit 5.76M, dead cap hit .4M

Jon Feliciano 2022 cap hit 4.97M, dead cap hit 1.5M

Of course clearing that cap space would leave room to sign other free agents but also leaves some gaps in the line up.  Or are there comparable players already on the roster for less money?  And do you trust the Bills front office can fill these holes in the line up via the draft?   

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The atrocious contract Beane gave him was much like the one the Pegula's gave Rex Ryan...........so unexpectedly/undeservedly large that it only served to disincentivize the employee.    I know there isn't much cap difference between cutting him or keeping him but expecting him to repeat even what little he did this year is foolish.    If he is going to be kept I'd insist that he be there for the offseason and OTA's to prove that he cares about being the best player he can be again.    If not,  let him go so he can retire.

I'm not going to debate Star's motivation to play football.  He's said flat out that he doesn't love football.  His motivation comes in portraits of dead presidents.  When that's the motivation, if you're payed whether you perform or not, well...

But how are you going to "insist that he be there for the offseason and OTAs"?

They're called voluntary workouts because they're contractually voluntary up until mandatory minicamp.

And even if somehow they did persuade/insist...that doesn't guarantee full-go effort throughout the season.  Star did show up in shape and ready to go.  Beane pointed to effective play from Star week 2-8, and not as effective play week 13, 15, 17 and 18 plus playoffs.  Beane attributed this to lingering effects of Star's bout with covid 19 (did we ever get an explanation of the mysterious "personal reasons" week?) even on a drastically lowered snap count.

Obviously McDermott and Frazier have (in the past anyway) disagreed with your long-time take on Lotulelei's on-field contributions, it's not my intent to argue that here. 

My point is that the coaches and Beane have to decide whether Lotulelei's value to them  exceeds the roster space he takes up and the savings from cutting him, based on what they perceive as his on-field and off-field work ethic and committment, not based on a participation in OTAs they can't insist on or enforce, and which wouldn't necessarily foreshadow an adequate season-long effort.

I will say that McDermott has repeatedly referenced "leadership in the room" when discussing some of his under-performing veterans, but need to confront the contradiction implicit in having "leaders" like Hughes who don't actually show their butts up for OTAs

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The Pegulas have shown for several years nows--with the Sabres--that it is very much about business and saving money comes way ahead of doing the best thing for the performance of the team.

They have played it differently with the Bills.

The Sabres lose money and the Bills make a lot of it, so there are differences.

Will be interesting to see what they do; I think we keep him.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The other thing is if Star is on the team this year he gets paid and has the cap hit not only for this year.  They will owe another $2.6M next year.

I've been a fan of Star earlier in his Bills tenure but now it looks to me like it's throwing good money after bad.

I don't think that's correct.  I think his salary guarantees run out this year.

He would have a roster bonus of $1M in 2023 but that would guarantee on the 5th day of the new league year.

I do note that Spotrac and Overthecap disagree on some details of his contract.  I *think* spotrac is more correct.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/star-lotulelei-12294/

https://overthecap.com/player/star-lotulelei/2282/

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think that's correct.  I think his salary guarantees run out this year.

He would have a roster bonus of $1M in 2023 but that would guarantee on the 5th day of the new league year.

I do note that Spotrac and Overthecap disagree on some details of his contract.  I *think* spotrac is more correct.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/star-lotulelei-12294/

https://overthecap.com/player/star-lotulelei/2282/

If he plays the full season this year the Bills are still on the hook for his $2.6M signing bonus cap hit next year.

Had it not been for the covid opt-out, he be gone. But with the contract IS what it IS and the way it's setup, best option is post June cut for the biggest savings. Probably why they didn't go with a replacement last year. Anyway, sign Phillips as the starter, go into the draft and get a replacement for Star. See if the draftee can handle it, then decide Stars fate. Doubt we will look at a FA. No rush to cut him now.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

If he plays the full season this year the Bills are still on the hook for his $2.6M signing bonus cap hit next year.

Oh, I see.  It's a confusing way to write about it though.  The Bills have already paid that money, so it's not "another $2.6M" they would owe next year if he plays this season.  It's just a question of whether they take it as a cap hit this season or next.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, I see.  It's a confusing way to write about it though.  The Bills have already paid that money, so it's not "another $2.6M" they would owe next year if he plays this season.  It's just a question of whether they take it as a cap hit this season or next.

Yes.  But if he stays for this year they take a $9.27M cap hit this year and then the $2.6M next year.

That's about $12M for his part time play.  If they outright cut him they take a $7.7M to be done with it.

That is why I keep saying the Bills should try to work out a retirement deal.

Let him keep his signing bonus that they already paid him in return for him giving up his $2.5M guaranteed salary this year.

His cap hit this year would be $5.2M and cap savings would be $4M.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd offer him a fair restructure proposal, considering that he's been unavailable/not a difference maker for most of his time here... maybe 2M with performance and availability incentives that could get him to 4-ishM.

If he wants to play, this makes sense for both sides.

If he declines, it's a solid indication that he doesn't want to play and they should release him.

Edited by All I Need is Hope
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

I’d just wait until June 2nd, then there would be tangible cap gained 

They would have to designate him a June 1st cut before his $500k roster bonus on March 26th. 

Oliver is the only other DT currently under contract for next season so a lot will depend on who the Bills can (re-)sign before that date. 

Edited by BarleyNY

Covid throws an interesting wrinkle into things. I would think the Bills could approach the League Office and say that Star no longer wants to play, due to Covid. They’d have to honor a private negotiation with Star and his agent but the contract would come off the Cap books. Wouldn’t it be the same if a player contracted cancer?  I’m not sure what they do in that situation. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yes.  But if he stays for this year they take a $9.27M cap hit this year and then the $2.6M next year.

That's about $12M for his part time play.  If they outright cut him they take a $7.7M to be done with it.

That is why I keep saying the Bills should try to work out a retirement deal.

Let him keep his signing bonus that they already paid him in return for him giving up his $2.5M guaranteed salary this year.

His cap hit this year would be $5.2M and cap savings would be $4M.

I see the way you're thinking about it, it's just not the usual way to look at it.  Look at it another way - if the Bills cut star, they save $1.57M.  Framed as you frame it, they save $1.57M and free up an extra $2.6M cap next year.  Who could Beane sign in FA for that money, who would contribute more than they perceive Star as doing in their system?

What exactly would be Star's motivation to make such a "retirement deal"?  He can sit on his butt, force them to cut him, and collect all $7.7M of the dead money, including his $2.5M guaranteed salary and his $5.2M remaining signing bonus.  Why would he make a concession to retire instead of being cut?

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Covid throws an interesting wrinkle into things. I would think the Bills could approach the League Office and say that Star no longer wants to play, due to Covid. They’d have to honor a private negotiation with Star and his agent but the contract would come off the Cap books. Wouldn’t it be the same if a player contracted cancer?  I’m not sure what they do in that situation. 

That would require Star and his agent to say that Star no longer wishes to play due to Covid (essentially, that he's retiring).  If Star retires, the Bills can request repayment of his $5.2M remaining signing bonus and are no longer on the hook (I think) for this year's guaranteed salary.

Again, why would Star wish to negotiate anything?  He can take up a roster spot and get paid.  If the Bills cut him, he gets paid.  Where is the Bills leverage?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I see the way you're thinking about it, it's just not the usual way to look at it.  Look at it another way - if the Bills cut star, they save $1.57M.  Framed as you frame it, they save $1.57M and free up an extra $2.6M cap next year.  Who could Beane sign in FA for that money, who would contribute more than they perceive Star as doing in their system?

What exactly would be Star's motivation to make such a "retirement deal"?  He can sit on his butt, force them to cut him, and collect all $7.7M of the dead money, including his $2.5M guaranteed salary and his $5.2M remaining signing bonus.  Why would he make a concession to retire instead of being cut?

That would require Star and his agent to say that Star no longer wishes to play due to Covid (essentially, that he's retiring).  If Star retires, the Bills can request repayment of his $5.2M remaining signing bonus and are no longer on the hook (I think) for this year's guaranteed salary.

Again, why would Star wish to negotiate anything?  He can take up a roster spot and get paid.  If the Bills cut him, he gets paid.  Where is the Bills leverage?

I’m thinking it’d be different from retiring. Covid is clearly a special circumstance. 

Over the past few years, just saying "COVID" has worked for a lot of things... 

It's worth a try!

Beane: Hey Roger, we need to get Star's contract off the books completely. 

Roger: That's not how it works..

Beane: Well, it's due to COVID, so... 

Roger: Oh, my God! OK, excuse me I didn't realize. Please accept my apology in the form of a cap credit and an extra 3rd round pick. 

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

It's worth a try!

Roger: Oh, my God! OK, excuse me I didn't realize. Please accept my apology in the form of a cap credit and an extra 3rd round pick...for the Patriots

FIFY

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

It's worth a try!

Roger: Oh, my God! OK, excuse me I didn't realize. Please accept my apology in the form of a cap credit and an extra 3rd round pick. 

You sound like a fun guy to dream with 😄

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBobs said:

This may be unpopular but I am not in a rush to get rid of him, especially for only $1.5M in cap savings.

I think you can make an argument to justify $1.5M in cap and $3.5M in salary and bonuses for last seasons production. It's a slam dunk you think there's a chance that without missing time from COVID he would be able to maintain his early season level of production, even in a more limited role.

If anything extend him another year to lower his cap. He had a good year for us I thought.

2 hours ago, All I Need is Hope said:

I'd offer him a fair restructure proposal, considering that he's been unavailable/not a difference maker for most of his time here... maybe 2M with performance and availability incentives that could get him to 4-ishM.

If he wants to play, this makes sense for both sides.

If he declines, it's a solid indication that he doesn't want to play and they should release him.

Since Star is already playing with a contract that guarantees him $2.5M in salary plus an additional $600k of workout and roster bonuses, why would he renegotiate or settle for $2M?

And look, I'm neither a fan of the guy nor a DL play expert, but Star played all 16 games in 2018 and 2019 before skipping 2020 due to Covid then being out for 6 games this year.  And it's not his job in McD's defense to put up stats like tackles, hurries, and sacks, so unless you are a pretty astute DL play analyst, you more or less have to trust McD and Frazier that when he plays, he's doing what they expect.

19 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

If anything extend him another year to lower his cap. He had a good year for us I thought.

Then Beane disagrees with you. 

In his post game presser, he said that Star played well in his first 7 games, but that his play never returned to that standard when he came back from Covid. 

So "mixed bag" was the official Bills FO verdict.

I dunno what they're gonna do with Star.    If he returns to form and plays like he did in the beginning of the season, it's very doubtful that we could hire a FA who is as good of a scheme fit for the $1.5M (plus clearing next year's $2.6M) we save by cutting Star, and assuming we stick to McD's beloved rotation, we need at least 2.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.