6 reasons to hate the Pro Bowl, add your own

HOUSE

Nope, I never watch this game, the NFL ruined this game years ago with rule changes that make it boring, here is why I gave it up...

#1- Its not a game, its a show or better known as the BIG PARTY.

#2- 75% effort is maximum, a hard hit will leave players grumbling "WTF are you doing?"

#3- Sideline Player interviews are constant. The game is being played in the background

#4- Winning means absolutely nothing, there is no game plan. "Hey you, run a post, I will throw you the ball, Please jump real high then catch the ball with one hand, the fans will love this"......Wow :w00t:

#5-The Best players skip this game, " I need to rest my body"

#6- This is a show case for the City, not the game

image.png.0501f38d87a6fff9f08f1905bd1b0f75.png

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I don't hate it b.c it doesn't affect my life and I never watch it.

It's  outdated and just needs to be gone. If they want to do something nice for the players and fans do the skills competition and present the players with prize money in the form of donations to their chosen charity.

You can do a weekend of skills competitions I know the players would like along with fans.

You could also set up a sports science competition area.

No need to play a game which people don't try to begin with. 

Edited by TBBills
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

On the day of the 1991 pro bowl I returned home early with a case of beer, all set to watch the game and caught my ex wife on the sofa, having intimate relations with our neighbor, Big Pat (I never learned why they called him that).

To make matters worse, all Pat was wearing was an oversized Marino jersey which flapped around his girthy mid section as my wife slapped his a*s and yelled "you should have gone higher than Kelly!"

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

#1...

16 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

..:caught my ex wife on the sofa, having intimate relations with our neighbor...

See what you have gone and done? 🤨

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
gone and done...done and gone...🤔
  • Haha (+1) 2

I used to watch it when they held it after the Super Bowl, simply because it was the last opportunity to watch football for another six months. Now that the SB players aren't playing, it's not even really an all-star game, and there's a meaningful game next week. Add in the fact that the Pro Bowl is a vanilla game at best - no motion on offense, no blitzing on defense, etc - and the players are focusing on not getting injured rather than competing for the win, it's pointless to watch.

And now, with one or two upstart leagues launching this spring, there are many more opportunities to watch football. Sure, it's not NFL-caliber football, but neither is the Pro Bowl. At least the upstart teams will be competing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 minute ago, WhoTom said:

I used to watch it when they held it after the Super Bowl, simply because it was the last opportunity to watch football for another six months. Now that the SB players aren't playing, it's not even really an all-star game, and there's a meaningful game next week. Add in the fact that the Pro Bowl is a vanilla game at best - no motion on offense, no blitzing on defense, etc - and the players are focusing on not getting injured rather than competing for the win, it's pointless to watch.

And now, with one or two upstart leagues launching this spring, there are many more opportunities to watch football. Sure, it's not NFL-caliber football, but neither is the Pro Bowl. At least the upstart teams will be competing.

Competing to which league survives a whole season.

• Like (+1) 1

Back in the early 90's I was living in Buffalo next to this crazy lady who was always trying to get me to come over. I finally agreed to come over and "watch the Pro Bowl" with her and things went as you'd expect. We were on the couch, doing what guys and gals do, when some crazy dude in a German military visor barged in with a bunch of beer, tore of his clothes and then tried to join in! Needless to say I got the hell out of there and moved away the next week.

I don't know what ever happened to those lunatics but the whole thing sort of ruined the Pro Bowl for me.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

5 minutes ago, Simon said:

Back in the early 90's I was living in Buffalo next to this crazy lady who was always trying to get me to come over. I finally agreed to come over and "watch the Pro Bowl" with her and things went as you'd expect. We were on the couch, doing what guys and gals do, when some crazy dude in a German military visor barged in with a bunch of beer, tore of his clothes and then tried to join in! Needless to say I got the hell out of there and moved away the next week.

I don't know what ever happened to those lunatics but the whole thing sort of ruined the Pro Bowl for me.....

You skipped the most important part: why do they call you "Big Pat"?

• Haha (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The game use to have some meaning to it i remember when who ever won the SB would go to one of the winning divisions stadiums to be the host so the players played harder because it was a honor to win for their division but now it's just a big party .

I do like the skills tests between the players that seems to be a pretty fun watch but that's about it to actually watch the game not so much . I also heard that the players use to like going to Hawaii it was more enjoyable & they looked forward to it more for them & for their family as a vacation trip for them .

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Simon said:

What guys and gals do…

Mario Kart? 

• Haha (+1) 1

There will probably be an interview with Roger Goodell, will they ask a question about the Dolphin owner paying to throw games?

Of course not...( these are pre selected questions approved before the interview)

Interviewer: Isn't this a lovely city, play much golf here?

Goodell: Of yes, some wonderful courses here, Top notch

I’m not here to say I hate the game. But I will say I hate something about it.  

NFL Football is about as close to being my favorite thing as possible. I watch every second I can because I know how fast the season goes. The pro bowl isn’t great. They are more or less screwing around and it’s football but barely. I get that. However, the best thing about the Pro Bowl (by far) was that it was after the super bowl. It was 1 more chance to see some before the long off-season and it gave you a little comfort knowing you still had 1 tiny thing left to look forward to football wise. I’d even rather it be 2 weeks after the super bowl to really give you that little extension. The off season is so long and now after the final gun of the super bowl there is just a strange sadness knowing it’s all over. Moving the pro bowl before the super bowl was the worst thing they could do for this game. Again, it’s nothing special. It’s not great but please put it back to where it was.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Simon said:

Ve vere vondering vhere you vent! You vill join us for Pro Bowl and Snitzel today, yes?

• Haha (+1) 2

It’s a popularity contest, ruled over by teenage girls, 

my apologies to the teenage girls who may or may not be offended. 

It's the "cringiest" thing the NFL does.  They refuse to let go of it.

Give the PB players their trip to Hawaii for their families and do a big charity golf tournament between AFC/NFC...do it like the Ryder Cup with a well-respected Captain (like a Peyton Manning)

Meet/Greet with fans and a couple of promotional things.....done with it.

I would watch a sunday golf pairing btwn Mahomes/JA

I would never watch that sh-t football game where all I do is worry that someone wrecks their career with an odd injury.....

15 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Ve vere vondering vhere you vent! You vill join us for Pro Bowl and Snitzel today, yes?

I checked with the Frau and she prefers I remain at home for dinner this evening.

To that end, I am currently thawing a roast with my orbital bone. :bag:

• Haha (+1) 1

it means the end of another fun and interesting season is upon us..sigh...I always refer to the Pro Bowl as the the NFL season funeral....

but we can look forward to free agency next month, excessive mock drafts (the draft cant come soon enough)...the playoffs keep getting better due in part to the salary cap and the parity it creates in a macro-sense...so its hard to go from that intensity to.....

The Pro Bowl week is just for the players to get together and have some fun. I have no problem with it. The skills challenges and games are fun to watch.

Although, I bet they are wishing the game was still in Hawaii.

There's nothing wrong with the pro bowl unless you take it too seriously.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, State Rt. 21 N. said:

I find it funny how everyone says that they don't watch the Pro Bowl  but the TV ratings says other wise 

What do the ratings say?  In all honesty, I love watching NFL football as much as anyone, and will often find myself watching a dog MNF or TNF game right to the end!  

But I wouldn't even think of watching the Pro Bowl, nor have I in probably 30 years.

I did watch in my younger years when the Bills were going to Super Bowls.

I thought it was cool to see all the Bills helmets on the field on offense at the same time.

• Vomit 2

13 minutes ago, State Rt. 21 N. said:

I find it funny how everyone says that they don't watch the Pro Bowl  but the TV ratings says other wise 

Do they?  I mean SOME people obviously watch it, but the ratings aren’t great.  10M (ish) viewers nationally isn’t nothing.  It is about a tenth of the viewership the SB and about half of a nationally televised regular season Sunday night game.  I probably haven’t watched 30 total minutes of the Pro Bowl in the last 15 years. 

5 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Selection process is a joke.

The best players used to  considered it an honor to be selected. Now it's a nuisance and beneath them.

No effort put out.

Risk of injury in a meaningless game. 

And they don’t even get to go to Hawaii anymore.  At least it’s in Vegas this year after being in (shudder) Orlando the three previous. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

The last time I enjoyed, or even cared about, the Pro Bowl is when OJ played.

I don't hate it.  It's an irrelevant nothing that doesn't appear at all on my radar.  

Just writing these few sentences is the most I've thought about it in decades.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.