Gadget player and moving on from Isaiah McKenzie

bubba2018

I feel like obtaining a player with a skillset similar to Percy Harvin, Devin Hester, Dante hall, or Tyreek Hill would add a huge dimension to this offense. Imagine the play calling that would open up and the stress that would be taken off Josh. I like Isaiah, but his change of direction ability and quickness is simply not there. I understand these players are difficult to come by, but I have been thinking that drafting a player like this in the first or second round is not out of the question or even crazy. First post so let me know what you guys think.

Edited by recovery96
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Calvin Austin III - WR out of Memphis

This is the name we’re going to be hearing about 247 for the next 3 months than we will be all sad when we don’t  select him 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

We should only really have 4 players in first round on our radar that will make an impact with this team.

Devin Lloyd - LB / Utah ( Complete Game Wrecker) 

Damone Clark- LB / LSU ( Very solid and will be a day 1 starter)

Jamison Williams- WR / Alabama ( unreal player and fast!!! ) may drop due to his ACL injury

Jahan Dotson- WR / Penn State (quick, explosive, fast and good hands)  will be tough for KC or anyone to stop Bills with Diggs, Davis, Dotson and Knox 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

Just now, recovery96 said:

He isn’t good enough. For me it’s the eye test, but some may disagree and think he’s adequate. 

🤷🏻‍♂️  Perhaps. I feel when they actually made an effort to incorporate him he was more than good enough. He took over the 2nd patriots game. 

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 3

35 minutes ago, recovery96 said:

I feel like obtaining a player with a skillset similar to Percy Harvin, Devin Hester, Dante hall, or Tyreek Hill would add a huge dimension to this offense. Imagine the play calling that would open up and the stress that would be taken off Josh. I like Isaiah, but his change of direction ability and quickness is simply not there. I understand these players are difficult to come by, but I have been thinking that drafting a player like this in the first or second round is not out of the question or even crazy. First post so let me know what you guys think.

A player" like "aTyreek Hill does not exist. McKenzie is a useful player. His biggest attributes are speed and he gets separation in the underneath passing game. He also was productive in the return game. Factor in he stays healthy and you realize he's hard to replace.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 9

I'd like to see McKenzie on the team next year, but I'm not sure he wants to stay.  I think McDermott burned some bridges with McKenzie by benching him after the ridiculous fumble on a KO return against the Colts.  

But sometimes money really talks. Especially if Beasley is cut for salary cap and performance issues, McKenzie could take on some of Beasley's pay as well as the starting slot receiver role.

Neither McKenzie nor any other player is the equivalent of Tyreek Hill.  We can't get Hill so we need to have the best possible alternative plan.  That could be McKenzie, or possibly another player via the draft or trade.  Maybe some team with a quick slot guy really needs a road grader OL player, and wants Feliciano or Ford.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, recovery96 said:

I think it’s all about speed and quickness an d YAC.  With a new OC and OL coach, I think the Bills could develop a better screw game.  It’s shocking how many of Mahomes’ throws were at or behind the LOS as opposed to Allen’s

• Agree 2

43 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Why cant McKenzie be that player?

As the OP said, Isaiah just doesn't come close to having the change of direction or quickness occa Tyreek type. Plus I think the Bills are looking for a returner and we combo. Which clearly due to ball security,  McKenzie & Stevenson are not.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

A player" like "aTyreek Hill does not exist. McKenzie is a useful player. His biggest attributes are speed and he gets separation in the underneath passing game. He also was productive in the return game. Factor in he stays healthy and you realize he's hard to replace.

I hope we sign him. I like him and what he offers the team. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

"I come not to praise McKittrick, but to bury him".  ***** all y'all, especially those of you still pining for Andre Roberts.  Dude fumbled four times his last year here, didn't get benched once.  McKittrick fumbles once, benched for multiple games.  I hope McKittrick stays, and McChoke uses him more extensively next year.  We used to run the jet sweep 4-5 times a game, and we need to get back to that.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, LifeLongFan said:

We should only really have 4 players in first round on our radar that will make an impact with this team.

Jamison Williams- WR / Alabama ( unreal player and fast!!! ) may drop due to his ACL injury

Jahan Dotson- WR / Penn State (quick, explosive, fast and good hands)  will be tough for KC or anyone to stop Bills with Diggs, Davis, Dotson and Knox 

There's an almost 0% chance they're going to draft an LB in the first round and I'd be shocked if they get a WR higher than the 3rd.

Pass rush, CB, or an interior OL to release Morse/Williams and sign a Pass Rusher or CB in FA.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

He isn’t good enough. For me it’s the eye test, but some may disagree and think he’s adequate. 

My question is good enough for what exactly?   I think he is a excellent "gadget" guy

He has ran back touchdowns on kickoff returns (two of them) that got called back on penalties

Is he your X receiver flying down the sidline .....no which is like I like Jameson in this draft

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, LifeLongFan said:

Uhh...CB? 

Andrew Booth Jr Clemson. Would add to our team speed on D as he runs a low 4.4 40 time

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

Well, last count 6 have said they disagree with ZERO who agree.

Retaining McKenzie is important for what he brings to the team as an all around skills player, despite what *your* eyes may see.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LifeLongFan said:

we need an impact player in rd 1 and 2. No more developmental hopeful guys.  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Well, last count 6 have said they disagree with ZERO who agree.

Retaining McKenzie is important for what he brings to the team as an all around skills player, despite what *your* eyes may see.

Fair enough. To me there were so many times where he would have an opportunity to make a play and he couldn’t make anyone miss. 

2 hours ago, LifeLongFan said:

Give me the game wrecker please, the defense needs one bad. 

Isaiah McKenzie will never be a game changer in the NFL, it’s that simple. We can say that he is decent, and we don’t want to see him go, but an explosive upgrade at the position is something the Bills should do. I do not want to see him on the team next year. I want someone with more speed, agility, quickness, and change of direction. I mean do you all really think he is an excellent gadget player? Where is the game changing play that he has made. Where is the play that makes your jaw drop? I want a player who does that, and Isaiah does not.

And that might be too much to ask for, but I would rather the Bills let him walk and try to find someone else, than stick with him.

And yes he had a good game against the Patriots. Not taking that away from him.

Edited by recovery96
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Utah John said:

McKenzie apparently really likes Daboll, and a lot of people are expecting McKenzie to follow Daboll to the Giants.

So does Beane for he mentioned him several times in press conferences. 

I guess it depends on OC whether he thinks he can do more with him than Coach Diabolical did.

Personally I like him but I think he needs to try to be less of a rebel and tattletale.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bobobonators said:

🤷🏻‍♂️  Perhaps. I feel when they actually made an effort to incorporate him he was more than good enough. He took over the 2nd patriots game. 

Caught a lot of short passes, one long one.  The rest of the season a non factor.

• Thank you (+1) 2

So far I dont hate the Wr Beane has targeted.  Brown, Beasley, Davis, Diggs and Sanders.  He chased Brown, Sanders and Diggs for multiple offseasons and trade cycles.  Use that and look at the draft.  Every year the fastest clocked guy isnt the best guy.   If they go wr day 1 or 2 I really like Jahan Dotson.  Fast enough to win outside.  I think he has everything to be a deadly route runner.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.