Bills request to interview Tee Martin for OC Job

17islongenough

25 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Rooney Rule candidate?

Please hire someone with lots of NFL play calling experience.

We are not the drought era Bills anymore!

I didn't think the Rooney Rule applied to non-HC positions.  

Edit: I've been corrected, it now does!  Thanks for the corrections. 

Edited by Patience

Considering he only coached in the NFL for one year as a wr coach and he was never an offensive coordinator for a college team, I don't believe he is being seriously considered and he may have been brought in to satisfy the Rooney rule:

The rule has been expanded to require teams to interview at least two external minority candidates for general manager/executive of football operations positions and all coordinator roles

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Patience said:

I didn't think the Rooney Rule applied to non-HC positions.  

I didn’t realize this but the rule changed.  Two minority candidates for HC and one for coordinators is the rule now. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rooney-rule-enhancement-nfl-to-require-two-external-minority-interviews-for-gm-coordinator-jobs/amp/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Spent 2016-2018 as USC's OC. Last year was his 1st season coaching in the NFL. 

Spent time at New Mexico, Kentucky and his alma mater (Tennessee) mostly as Pass Game Coordinator/WRs coach. 

Would definitely be an "In Beane I Trust" response on my part if hired.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG

Tee Martin is going to be a very good coach in this league. Very smart dude, who played the QB position and was learning to play QB side by side and behind Peyton Manning. Honestly, I don't hate the idea. He is also working under Greg Roman, so maybe he can integrate some of those run game concepts here. He is a rising star and I think the interview is warranted. It scares me for sure, but I like the process. 

• Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Why?

He is a former college and NFL QB 

He has been a coach at the elite 11 football camps for the top HS QBs in the country 

He currently runs his own QB camp 

And has trained many D1 QBs as well 

He has a lot experience with QBs despite being a WR coach 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BarleyNY said:

Rooney Rule.  Also since Wink Martindale is out as OC in Baltimore so he might need a new job anyhow.  The Bills might want to know if he’s a good fit here in a non-OC coaching position.   The Ravens had a unique offense built around a unique QB so he’s a good candidate to have some unique insights. 

Martindale was their DC.

4 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Rooney rule seems like a slap in face as much as it looks like the right thing to do on the surface.  Hey come on and interview so we can promote this guy on staff already.  

Hey Mr Minority Candidate….Waste your time preparing for an interview for a job you are never going to get, so we can tick this box..

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 3
  • Dislike 2

5 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Rooney rule seems like a slap in face as much as it looks like the right thing to do on the surface.  Hey come on and interview so we can promote this guy on staff already.  

It's not. Even if that's the situation, at the very least it's interview practice. They're getting visibility and experience where they might otherwise have not.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Rooney Rule.  Also since Wink Martindale is out as OC in Baltimore so Martin might need a new job anyhow.  The Bills might want to know if he’s a good fit here in a non-OC coaching position.   The Ravens had a unique offense built around a unique QB so he’s a good candidate to have some unique insights. 

Wink was the DC, not OC.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.