A flag would have been nice too

Draconator

Just now, Steptide said:

Would've rather had a flag for illegal motion on the Kelce td in OT 

i posted this like 5 minutes after the game. It was plain as day to see how they didn’t re-set. Just a really clear penalty. 

Just now, Success said:

I thought the officials actually did a great job the whole game.

Agreed. They let them play. Refs were a non-factor, which is what I prefer. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Would the TD have counted? He technically taunted while the play was occurring and before he reached the endzone. If called, would it have negated the play? 

I think the answer is "YES" even though everyone around here seems to be treating it as a dead ball foul.

It wouldn't have been; it's just that normally taunting is a dead ball foul b/c it occurs after the TD is scored.

The TD would have been negated and LOS moved back 15 yards.

• Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think the answer is "YES" even though everyone around here seems to be treating it as a dead ball foul.

It wouldn't have been; it's just that normally taunting is a dead ball foul b/c it occurs after the TD is scored.

The TD would have been negated and LOS moved back 15 yards.

Nope

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

TD would have counted and the 15 yards would've been enforced on either the PAT or the kickoff 

ARTICLE 9. DEAD BALL FOUL AND FOUL BETWEEN DOWNS

A Dead Ball Foul is a foul that occurs in the continuing action after a down ends, or a taunting foul that occurs at any time. The penalty for a Dead Ball Foul is enforced from the succeeding spot, and the down counts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think the taunting penalty is dumb for a bunch of reasons. One is that it’s football. The other is that is is subjectively enforced differently in the same game. 

But this one makes me really mad. The penalty literally exists because of Tyreek and the peace sign. If you don’t flag him for that, WTF is the point of ever throwing a flag. 

In this instance, really want the flag because of TH history with the rule. But I also want the rule to go away. 

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

A possible reason to care is the extra point would have been backed up 15 yards.   If the extra point was missed then KC would not have been able to tie the game with a field goal.   So yeah, I kind of cared about the non call…

This is an excellent point and yet another possible twist in this game on the lack of call. I appreciated that the refs took a step back in this game and didnt call the usual BS or ticky tack calls for EVERYTHING. But this was textbook taunting and definitely should have been called as it was ALL season. If KC misses the subsequent extra point then the Bills score their TD then all of a sudden its a 4 pt lead, we kick it deep through the endzone and play the same defense that we did (now actually appropriate to the situation) and its game over.  So many what ifs in this game!

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

This is an excellent point and yet another possible twist in this game on the lack of call. I appreciated that the refs took a step back in this game and didnt call the usual BS or ticky tack calls for EVERYTHING. But this was textbook taunting and definitely should have been called as it was ALL season. If KC misses the subsequent extra point then the Bills score their TD then all of a sudden its a 4 pt lead, we kick it deep through the endzone and play the same defense that we did (now actually appropriate to the situation) and its game over.  So many what ifs in this game!

Or Sean asks that penalty be accessed on the kickoff,   even with 15 yard penalty it is still less than a 40 yard kick

7 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Or Sean asks that penalty be accessed on the kickoff,   even with 15 yard penalty it is still less than a 40 yard kick

If it is from the 15 yard line normally, thats a 32 yard kick (10 for the endzone and 7 yards back from the line). Move it 15 yards back and that makes it a 47 yard PAT!! That is huge and the KC kicker had already missed a PAT in the game from the 15!! Not a gimme at all!. That being said McD may have made the call and had tacked to the kickoff

9 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

If it is from the 15 yard line normally, thats a 32 yard kick (10 for the endzone and 7 yards back from the line). Move it 15 yards back and that makes it a 47 yard PAT!! That is huge and the KC kicker had already missed a PAT in the game from the 15!! Not a gimme at all!. That being said McD may have made the call and had tacked to the kickoff

Great point,  that would make it tough for sure.  So your point about the refs not tossing the flag really makes sense. So many things did not go our way

I had a bigger issue with the entire secondary failing to stop him from scoring. He makes an amazing play like that he can flash whatever he wants, he earned it IMO. Stop him & he won't flash anything. (Plus we scored on the next drive anyway so I don't see the penalty doing much to help us there other than giving them 30 seconds at the end of the game instead of 13).

It should have ben called and it might have affected the game.  I probably choose to push the PAT back, but I can see an argument for the kickoff being pushed back. If he misses the PAT then it is a 3 pt game.  Have to wonder if Buffalo is as aggressive and instead of playing for game winning TD they play for a game tying FG.  

Too many variables to say one way or another

Still McD and the coaching staff blew the 13 seconds and cost us a chance at a SB title..... Until Buffalo makes and wins a SB those 13 seconds are the worst moment in Bills history since wide-right.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It should have ben called and it might have affected the game.  I probably choose to push the PAT back, but I can see an argument for the kickoff being pushed back. If he misses the PAT then it is a 3 pt game.  Have to wonder if Buffalo is as aggressive and instead of playing for game winning TD they play for a game tying FG.  

Too many variables to say one way or another

Still McD and the coaching staff blew the 13 seconds and cost us a chance at a SB title..... Until Buffalo makes and wins a SB those 13 seconds are the worst moment in Bills history since wide-right.  

You would have thought he would have learned from last season against Cardinals,  game is never over until no time left

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

I'm torn on this one:

It was inconsequential to the actual play and not a big deal to me - I didn't even know about it until a day or two after.

But by rule it was a penalty - and might have made a difference if added to the PAT for Butker who had already spotted us a few points.

The kicker for me is that I read somewhere (probably this site) that the taunting rule was put into effect  in part due to  similar back and forth between Hill and Antoine Winfield Jr last year in a regular season game and the SB.  If that's true it's just another example of an NFL rule that only matter sometimes.

15 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Would the TD have counted? He technically taunted while the play was occurring and before he reached the endzone. If called, would it have negated the play? 

Yeah. I think that's why it wasn't called.

They might have thrown it if doing so wouldn't have had a cataclysmic effect on the game.

8 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Taunting rule is a joke, after a turnover half the team can run down the field and make a show in the end zone and thats not taunting? It should be a delay of game if nothing else.

Delay of game, maybe. But those end zone shows - while immensely stupid - aren't taunts they're celebrations and not aimed at one guy besides.

Edited by Thurman#1

The taunting penalties suck

how would this have helped the bills exactly?  

did anyone notice the close calls on unnecessary roughness NOT called against the Bills?

All complaints about the refs are for missed calls against Bills Opponents out calls on the bills that should not have been.   Never the other way around

Edited by 13 Second Prevent Defense

13 hours ago, f0neguy said:

A possible reason to care is the extra point would have been backed up 15 yards.   If the extra point was missed then KC would not have been able to tie the game with a field goal.   So yeah, I kind of cared about the non call…

The penalty came before the TD. They would have had to call back the TD and back them up. Would probably have worked out in KC's favor. A minute left in the game and they have the ball on the 15 - 25. Neither defense was capable of stopping either offense at that point. They'd have run three or four runs and burnt more and maybe nearly all the time off the clock before scoring. 

The penalty would have been all out of proportion to the infraction. They made the right call there, though the fine should have been bigger. Even he would have sat up  after getting a fine for $50K.

Edited by Thurman#1

13 hours ago, f0neguy said:

There's zero chance we take that penalty on the XP instead of the kickoff. We would have made the play for better field position with only 1:02 left and needing a TD regardless of the XP.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.