Josh Allen Rookie card sold for $264, 000, value is now at $312,000

HOUSE

I had an chance to get a Josh Allen autographed game worn Jersey from his rookie season for $450 dollars in 2019 and I didn't do it because he was still being good Josh and bad Josh and I thought that was a lot for a QB that we were not sure would be here in 5 years.  FML.  That same jersey would be Thousands today.  

18 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

This is still a thing?

Man time to hit up my dad's attic and grab my collection. I remember having over 50 different Jordan cards (never would trade a Jordan unless I had duplicates) all in sleeves or hard cases. Might be worth a fortune.

29 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

This is still a thing?

It's for sure still a thing.  However, they were selling for more at the height of the pandemic.  What you're seeing is actually on the downside of things.   If Josh had of had those performances a year ago that card would have sold for double that.

10 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Man time to hit up my dad's attic and grab my collection. I remember having over 50 different Jordan cards (never would trade a Jordan unless I had duplicates) all in sleeves or hard cases. Might be worth a fortune.

Jordan's are going for quite a bit right now.   However, for them to sell for a lot of money, they need to be graded, like you see on the Josh card above.  

36 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

This is still a thing?

35 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Apparently so, damn ....

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

It's for sure still a thing.  However, they were selling for more at the height of the pandemic.  What you're seeing is actually on the downside of things.   If Josh had of had those performances a year ago that card would have sold for double that.

Jordan's are going for quite a bit right now.   However, for them to sell for a lot of money, they need to be graded, like you see on the Josh card above.  

Yup, if you are smart and do the research its a big thing still. As TheNorth said it has slowed down some since the pandemic but still in a really good place. Topps being bought out by Fanatic and what the future holds will be interesting too. 

With that being said, not every card is worth money and most likely those late 80s & early 90s cards (that people will sometimes think is gold lol) are still junk.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

Yup, if you are smart and do the research its a big thing still. As TheNorth said it has slowed down some since the pandemic but still in a really good place. Topps being bought out by Fanatic and what the future holds will be interesting too. 

With that being said, not every card is worth money and most likely those late 80s & early 90s cards (that people will sometimes think is gold lol) are still junk.

Agreed the 80's and 90's are more for enjoyment now.   Love the hobby quite a bit, but I will say given current prices I am very selective about what I buy.    Had the opportunity to buy 2 Allen Donruss Rookies Raw a month ago for 42.50 a piece, sold them just before the divisional game for around $70 a piece.   The big money isnt in raw cards, but you can turn a retail like profit if you're smart about it.

The card House has in the original topic is exactly what you should be looking for if you're a collector with millions of dollars.   Its a 5/5, but given that it's a PSA 10, I would imagine it ends up being a 1/1 population wise.   

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Agree 1

My son has a Devin Singletary rookie card :) (he bought it as a lark/joke when we were going through the market in Charleston Devin's rookie year and there was a card stand)

Somewhere in my house are the Topps football cards my brother and I collected as kiids.  There are almost complete sets from 1970-1973 with tons of duplicates - one set is only missing Frenchy Fuqua (I always remembered him as the one player who made our set incomplete).  They were in my Dad's house for years - I lifted them a few years ago afraid he would throw them out as he was slowly cleaning out his house (don't tell my brother - they were always sitting there as a kind of demilitarized card zone).  There's also a bunch of hockey cards - we mostly only kept the Sabres ones - and ABA cards!.  I've never actually gone through them to see if there are any valuable ones.

Fun side note - my Dad has a baseball signed by Babe Ruth.  When he was a kid he and one of his brothers were cleaning out someone's garage and they found two balls - the Babe Ruth one and one signed by members of the old Cardinals Gashouse Gang.  His brother took the Gashouse Gang one.  When I was growing up it was on the piano in our living room for years.  In retrospect that wasn't the best thing for it - it got faded over the years.  He has it put away somewhere now.

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

Last year I a bought a bunch of Allen rookies. Not this particular one, but some of the Donruss ones.

All said and done I spent about $150. One of them sells for a little over $300 ungraded so I did pretty well. Probably get them graded the next time my buddy sends some in but i probably won’t see them again for a year with how backed up psa is. 

1 hour ago, MarkyMannn said:

So my son had a rookie card for Dominic Hasek.  Took it to the arena and had it autographed. Later found out than ruined the value of it. I guess the issue was there was no way to validate it being his actual signature upon resale

You can send it to an authentication house.  They send you a certificate and the card ends up having more value.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I want to sell my house to buy this card.  Then I will be famous for being the idiot who sold his house for a card.  All publicity is good publicity right?

Maybe with some chop sticks you can make a VERY tiny little house of it, but keep it well wrapped. 

Remember, you need to keep it well wrapped. That may save you more than the stupid card. If…..you know what I mean. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

You can send it to an authentication house.  They send you a certificate and the card ends up having more value.

Dear authentication house:

Thank you for the certificate confirming my card's worth.  I do believe you forgot to return the card, however...🙁

That kind of money on a card made a few years ago is ridiculous.

I can see spending that kind of money on some nearly non-existent historical gem from 1905 or something...

But a Josh Allen rookie?  For that money? 

This is apparently still the most expensive card of all time, at $5.2 million.

honus-card.jpg

$5.2 million for this too?!

mickey-mantle-rookie-card.jpg

Edited by Nextmanup

On 1/28/2022 at 9:27 AM, Greg S said:

That's great. Everyone knew Allen was good but I think Sunday opened everyone's eyes to how great he can be. I bet his jersey will be one of the top selling jersey's going forward.

It was the leagues best seller going into this past season already. Kid is a stud. So thankful I get to watch him through my 30s

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.