Urban Meyer - "Worst experience in my professional life“

Draconator

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-urban-meyer-jaguars-worst-experience-ive-had-in-my-professional-lifetime-162828561.html

“I’ll tell you, Dan, it is a lot different," Meyer said via Jags Wire. "It is different. Just the amount of time you get with your quarterback. Just the amount of time you get with your team. The roster management. How you practice.

“You know, the amount of reps you get before you go play a game, to me, was shockingly low. For example, we would practice, you maybe get one or two reps at something, next thing you know you’re calling it in the game. In college, you never do that. In college, you’re gonna get at least a dozen opportunities to practice that before you ask a player to go do it in the game. So there are a lot of differences.”

Edited by Draconator
  • Haha (+1) 6

• Draconator changed the title to Urban Meyer - "Worst experience in my professional life“
13 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

It's still mind blowing the Bills lost to this guy, and in hindsight it's essentially the game that cost them home field over the Chiefs in the playoffs.

This is the type of stuff the Pegulas truly need to consider if McDermott doesn't deliver next year.

It's the NFL.  Every single player in the league is an extremely talented and gifted athlete who can do incredible things most of us cannot even comprehend.  Good teams lose to bad teams every single year.  Even during our SB runs we had clunkers that we lost.  For example, 1992 week 14 loss to a 4-12 Jets team at home while the division was still on the line.  Get over it.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

It's still mind blowing the Bills lost to this guy, and in hindsight it's essentially the game that cost them home field over the Chiefs in the playoffs.

This is the type of stuff the Pegulas truly need to consider if McDermott doesn't deliver next year.

Except the Jax game was the one game I most put on the players. They just stunk the joint up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

1 minute ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah really. It is said players don't overlook any opponent, but it sure seemed like Bills overlooked that day. 

Yep and you can say well coaches gotta get them ready to play and of course that is true. But when players play like that honestly there isn't much any coach can do. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep and you can say well coaches gotta get them ready to play and of course that is true. But when players play like that honestly there isn't much any coach can do. 

One would think this will change next year,  I'm sure the players realize that home field would be nice to have now...

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I'd say if you have a lack of time on task for preparation, you probably shouldn't spend some of that time at maxing and relaxing inside your bar....

Great NFL HCs pretty much have every practice scripted and time to the minute.  Even Marv Levy back in the day had his practices strucutred and organized so players/coaches would stand around spitting on the field waiting or something to o.

Isnt it ironic. college kids get more practice time than do pros.  

Wait, so he didn't go over his game planning, and week specific plays, during meetings? My understanding is that in the NFL most of the meat of what happens on Sunday, happens OFF the field. That's why in the NFL you can do so much virtually. You're not spending in season working on fundamentals - you're expected to do get those down in OTAs, summer camp and players own time. You're trying to get players to understand their jobs for the week. 

If someone can't do that, they shouldn't be working with pros. 

Edited by appoo
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Except the Jax game was the one game I most put on the players. They just stunk the joint up. 

I can't disagree that execution was lacking, but frankly, I believe a healthy dose of the blame goes on the offensive coaching, just as it did against Pittsburgh.

1) Urban looked at our offense and said "this is a spread offense, they don't want to run the ball, they want to pass all over you".  He wasn't shy about that diagnosis, he (as one chap here quipped) sketched his defensive game plan out on a cocktail napkin during his presser

2) Daboll looked at the Jags secondary and said "we can exploit this" and forgot to consider how the Jags might exploit our OL if we didn't have a shadow of a running threat for him to worry about.  I knew it the moment the inactives for that game were announced.  And when it wasn't working like he planned, He Had Nothing.  Compare and contrast to the Falcons game where, when Josh was having a Bad Passing Day and threw 3 picks, Daboll shrugged and started dialing up the run plays.

3) We played a hell of a defensive game IIRC, defense didn't stink up the joint.

8 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Was he not aware of those differences before applying for and accepting the job?

If he was not, he should have been.  Due diligence and all that.

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

One would think this will change next year,  I'm sure the players realize that home field would be nice to have now...

They were supposed to have realized that after LAST season

1 minute ago, ArtVandalay said:

Sean McDermott was one of only two coaches in the league to lose to this disaster.  Let that sink in. 

What was the deal with the Jags 3rd win then?  Being coached by a doppelganger?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

18 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Sean McDermott was one of only two coaches in the league to lose to this disaster.  Let that sink in. 

Dude why dont you just watch reruns of the previous 20 years before McD got here.  You would be happy and hopefully you would post less which would be just wonderful.  I mean every single ***** post from you is about hating McD.  Like a parrot. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

So, hire Urban? 

59 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

So, hire Urban? 

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I can't disagree that execution was lacking, but frankly, I believe a healthy dose of the blame goes on the offensive coaching, just as it did against Pittsburgh.

1) Urban looked at our offense and said "this is a spread offense, they don't want to run the ball, they want to pass all over you".  He wasn't shy about that diagnosis, he (as one chap here quipped) sketched his defensive game plan out on a cocktail napkin during his presser

2) Daboll looked at the Jags secondary and said "we can exploit this" and forgot to consider how the Jags might exploit our OL if we didn't have a shadow of a running threat for him to worry about.  I knew it the moment the inactives for that game were announced.  And when it wasn't working like he planned, He Had Nothing.  Compare and contrast to the Falcons game where, when Josh was having a Bad Passing Day and threw 3 picks, Daboll shrugged and started dialing up the run plays.

3) We played a hell of a defensive game IIRC, defense didn't stink up the joint.

If he was not, he should have been.  Due diligence and all that.

Josh played like trash and critically the oline played like trash. I have said this every time it has happened through I think now 4 OCs... when your line gets beat like that there ain't many playcalls that are open to you. The difference in that Atlanta game was yes Josh threw some picks but we were holding our own up front. So there were other options. That was not the case in Jax. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

If you paid attention all teams had bad losts this year. 

But somehow someway that won't get thru to you're thinking. 

You're posts remind me of this 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ylcaj6ah0x2jlsj5u5

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Dude why dont you just watch reruns of the previous 20 years before McD got here.  You would be happy and hopefully you would post less which would be just wonderful.  I mean every single ***** post from you is about hating McD.  Like a parrot. 

So because you used to be bad, you lower your expectations and allow egregious incompetence that costs you success? That's such a loser mentality. Our standards with Allen are Chamionship caliber, not "don't suck". 

There's a huge difference between building culture and competitiveness and being a high level game day coach with the caliber needed to win a Chamionship. 

This was not the first playoff mis-step either, it's the 3rd consecutive year, the Texans debacle inthe 2nd half was horrible, the Chiefs have last year horrible planning letting Hill and Kelce run free, too conservative, and zero adjustments... but the difference this year is we were the better team and we would have been Super Bowl favorites and were held back by our coaching staff, again, from reaching our full potential. We had the game won and he found away to squander it away, he's the main reason we were 0-6 in 1 score games.

McDermott also has one of the worst of not the worst track record of challenges in the entire league,  6 for 23 in his 5 years, absolutely horrific. Reid was 4-0 in just this season alone lol. Just speaks to how bad he is from a cerebral standpoint on the sideline.  Screaming and clapping doesn't win Chamionships.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 2

Exactly. Our entire season could've been different if we only rout a team we should've annihilated.  We would've had KC at home. And even KC players admitted playing the Bills at home would have been a struggle. Losing to Jacksonville is like that missed extra point that you just know will bite you in the ass down the road. 

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

So did Brian Flores and Frank Reich and neither of those guys made the post season, so what’s your point?

Frank Reich did not.  Meyer was already fired. 

But yes, a guy that didn't make the playoffs and was fired was the other coach that lost to him.  Good point lol.

Edited by ArtVandalay

You hit on an important point, which is the way to beat KC in Arrowhead in the playoffs is to NOT PLAY KC IN ARROWHEAD IN THE PLAYOFFS.

I.E., do MORE during the regular season and lock up home field advantage.  We easily could and should have done that this year, and failed to do it with mediocre play.  

The season was lost there, not in Arrowhead.

37 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

So because you used to be bad, you lower your expectations and allow egregious incompetence that costs you success? That's such a loser mentality. Our standards with Allen are Chamionship caliber, not "don't suck". 

There's a huge difference between building culture and competitiveness and being a high level game day coach with the caliber needed to win a Chamionship. 

This was not the first playoff mis-step either, it's the 3rd consecutive year, the Texans debacle inthe 2nd half was horrible, the Chiefs have last year horrible planning letting Hill and Kelce run free, too conservative, and zero adjustments... but the difference this year is we were the better team and we would have been Super Bowl favorites and were held back by our coaching staff, again, from reaching our full potential. We had the game won and he found away to squander it away, he's the main reason we were 0-6 in 1 score games.

McDermott also has one of the worst of not the worst track record of challenges in the entire league,  6 for 23 in his 5 years, absolutely horrific. Reid was 4-0 in just this season alone lol. Just speaks to how bad he is from a cerebral standpoint on the sideline.  Screaming and clapping doesn't win Chamionships.

talking blah blah blah GIF

36 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

cultThere's a huge difference between building culture and competitiveness and being a high level game day coach with the caliber needed to win a Chamionship. 

This is a load of crap.  

Egregious incompetence?   McDermott is recognized around the league as an excellent coach.   The fact that someone missed a detail, telling Bass to squib kick, is so far from "egregious incompetence," it's absurd.   It was just a mistake. 

A "huge" difference between building culture and competitiveness and being a championship coach?   Nonsense.  The difference isn't "huge," and it is in fact a culture of competitiveness that makes coaches and players become champions.  

And you point to Andy Reid as some kind of paragon.  Reid lost just as many playoff games in his first five seasons as McDermott has.  Belichick was under .500 in his first five seasons and went to the playoffs only once.   

Grow up and find a better way to deal with your disappointment.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 7

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

It’s hard coaching when there’s actually a level playing field.  Unlike at an Ohio State where your basically guaranteed 10 wins a year.  

in nfl it’s also relatively equal talent level spread out over the league vs some collehpges with reputation getting all the nice toys to play with.

also…these are adults with lives…not the slave ncaa system

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.