McKenzie playing scout team Tyreek Hill

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think he has any on offense.  He had 6 his rookie year and 2 the following year.  None the next 2 years and 2 this season.  Like you said though, he hasn’t had many touches on O.  

i don’t think he should have a full load, but I think he should’ve been getting a minimum of 3-4 plays a game where he’s the #1 option, running or receiving and the. Another 5-10 where he’s in motion as a decoy. The opposing D has to account for his speed. 

Absolutely he should have a package 

Anytime you have to account for somebody on offense it's a positive

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think he loves Buffalo and will re-sign.  I think all he needs to hear from McDermott is that he will be a regular rotational player at least.  

There seemed to be some tension from McKenzie's end after the benching but things seem good now.

Eh I mean he's a professional who basically lost his role playing 

I definitely sensed disappointment but I didn't sense any true professional tension 

I've lost my starting job before.. definitely was angry.. maybe I gave the coach a cold shoulder for a day

But there is a reason in there .. and it's usually to push a player to a new height

Sometimes you need to push some buttons to get results

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think it's that many since he got here ... Maybe 1 or 2 

But he also took 40 plus returns.. and only had 20 catches this season

So he has a lot more chance to put it on the carpet while returning  .

McDermott did say it was an issue in practice... And it's hard to give somebody a full load when they are fumbling in practice

Did McD actually say that McKenzie was fumbling in practice on KR/PR?  Or at all?

I had actually seen other people saying "he had issues in practice" but when I asked how that was known, I didn't ever see an answer.

Someone - think it was @Shaw66 - talked about being at a game watching warm-ups, and how McKenzie was body-catching the ball.

Even if he's not fumbling, if people are telling him "this is how you need to catch the ball" and he's not listening and reverting to bad habits, that's got to change.

35 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did McD actually say that McKenzie was fumbling in practice on KR/PR?  Or at all?

I had actually seen other people saying "he had issues in practice" but when I asked how that was known, I didn't ever see an answer.

Someone - think it was @Shaw66 - talked about being at a game watching warm-ups, and how McKenzie was body-catching the ball.

Even if he's not fumbling, if people are telling him "this is how you need to catch the ball" and he's not listening and reverting to bad habits, that's got to change.

Yes, I was the one who commented about the body catching.   I was so surprised when I first saw it that I watched three or four more reps.  Diggs had people intentionally giving him balls he had to reach for, and he clearly was practicing using his hands.   McKenzie was getting easier balls to catch, and he caught most or all against his body.  

I've complained about using him on returns, because a turnover on those plays is the most damaging play in football.  And he flubbed another a couple of weeks ago, which is why Hyde started returning.   When you think about it, it just doesn't matter, relatively speaking, how big the returns are - you get very few long returns, and a fumble is much worse than an occasional return.  

So, I wouldn't have him back there any more.  However, he's become an important part of the offensive attack.  The Bills have been featuring his speed, and i think it's evident that McKenzie is a problem for defenses.  When he's on the field, he could run out of the backfield, run the sweeps, catch swing passes, and run routes downfield.  As much as I've grumbled about him and his shortcomings, I think he's important to the offense now.   

Will he be back next season?   I don't know.  The reality is that rosters in the NFL turn over pretty quickly, and I think we should expect to see some turnover this off-season.   Oline has already been reshaped, Dline will lose some people, other positions likely will see some change, too.  It's just in the nature of the game.  McKenzie certainly could be a victim.   He's been a contributor, but it might be time for him to move on.  

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Did Levi say anything about Beasley being on the scout team ?

If the Chiefs have a slow white guy that runs 5 yard outs and drops passes, then runs off the field yelling at his coach, we are definitely covered !

Did that really happen, the yelling at MCD thing? 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe McKenzie can be used more like Hill here.

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  I was so confused to why they just stopped using him in the playoffs last year and the first 3/4 of this season for the most part.  

Up until the 2nd patriot game he had 11 targets (7 catches) and 6 rushes. That’s a ridiculously low number of touches for someone with his ability.  

I’ve been saying it all year, he needs to be part of the offense as well as a long term part of this franchise. He’s everything you want in a player minus the fumbles.  

Maybe they were trying to keep him fresh for the playoffs?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

the pats have 2.5M in cap space.  

he’s going to get a “huge money offer”?  I think you have a strange definition of huge money offer. 

I don’t see him signing with the pats.  Little to no chance imo. 

If the patriots have trouble becoming a SB contender i think it will be hard for them to sign players because the patriot way isnt fun for most players.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, london_bills said:

Hopefully mckenzie got a raise mid season, such an important player 

No such thing, (unless there are performance metrics that are built into the contract) they get their raises or paycuts when the contract is up or renogotiated

5 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I wouldn't re-sign here if I were him.  

He is criminally underutilized.

he will if he wants multiple Superbowls 

14 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

No such thing, (unless there are performance metrics that are built into the contract) they get their raises or paycuts when the contract is up or renogotiated

he will if he wants multiple Superbowls 

I understand wanting to win, but they're also professionals.  They want to play and get paid as well.  I'm sure Isaiah sees himself as more than just a gadget guy.

20 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Maybe McKenzie can be used more like Hill here.

Maybe they were trying to keep him fresh for the playoffs?

I don’t think they wanted to keep him fresh, maybe more along the lines keeping him off tape and out of the opposing DCs game plans.  If we used him starting week one, like last year, there’s more opportunity for opposing DCs to figure out how to stop him.  Last year, we didn’t use him when the real bullets started flying in the playoffs.  It seemed like our opponents defended his plays better as the year went on..  No one has really stopped him yet this year yet.  He’s done work since being implemented 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

If he continues playing well he will be back in Buffalo on a 3 year deal next season.

3,4,5 million for the 3 years ($12M total) gets it done IMO.  

I don't see him wanting to leave and I see his best football is still in front of him.

He’ll get more than that from some team. In fact, I bet he pulls in at least 6 million a year.

My bet is that he ends up with the Chargers.

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

[snip] which is why Hyde started returning[snip]. 

?Why does having our likely defensive MVP this year returning kicks scare the *%#$ out of me.  All we need is a headhunting gunner trade 15 yards for laying the wood to arguably our best defender.

Edited by BearNorth

58 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

?Why does having our likely defensive MVP this year returning kicks scare the *%#$ out of me.  All we need is a headhunting gunner trade 15 yards for laying the wood to arguably our best defender.

Watch Hyde. He gives himself up.  He doesn't take hits. 

14 hours ago, Beast said:

He’ll get more than that from some team. In fact, I bet he pulls in at least 6 million a year.

My bet is that he ends up with the Chargers.

It's true some team might do that but only 33 WRs in the league make $6M a year or more.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/wide-receiver/

I hope that Dabol has some plays for Lil dirty in this game the Bills will need all hands on deck for this one & his speed & change of direction will be hard for the Chiefs to match as it is with Hill .

Lil Dirty could be the Bills secret weapon in this game !! 

• Agree 1

On 1/20/2022 at 1:46 PM, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Definitely similarly twitchy.

Our offense is much more versatile with McKenzie regularly involved. 

He’s a difference maker for us he makes our offense borderline unstoppable. All that pre snap movement he does puts the opposing defense in a bind forces them to pause for just a extra split second at the snap which makes a huge difference.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, T master said:

I hope that Dabol has some plays for Lil dirty in this game the Bills will need all hands on deck for this one & his speed & change of direction will be hard for the Chiefs to match as it is with Hill .

Lil Dirty could be the Bills secret weapon in this game !! 

Use to live in Lyndonville Bill ...

On 1/20/2022 at 8:13 PM, Let's Go Buffalo said:

McKenzie definitely needs to be utilized more in the offense. He's gotten more touches the last few games, and that has to continue to happen and hopefully increase from here on out.

Especially if the Chiefs plan on playing tight man coverage all game. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.