How I see New England now

Success

Pretty simple:  they're the Dolphins in the '90's.

At that time, the Phins had gotten off a 20 year stretch of basically owning the division (a few more losing seasons mixed in there, but they were the nemesis for all AFCE teams, like the Pats were for years).

Buffalo got their HOF QB and coach, and assumed control.  Miami would always be in the mix, but would generally end up 9-7 or 10-6, and falter in the playoffs.  The glory days were long over. Their fans still thought that the Bills were kind of a temporary condition, and that they would assume their "rightful place" before too long.

But they never did.  That's who the Pats are right now.  More reputation than substance. And BB may be going the way of Shula, who looked much less formidable as he got older.  The game had passed him by. Belichick's last coaching job against the Bills was a head-scratcher.

The only caveat on this is that the Patriots don't have the HOF QB like Miami did.  So, they might not fare quite as well.

This is our division now.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Success said:

At that time, the Phins had gotten off a 20 year stretch of basically owning the division (a few more losing seasons mixed in there, but they were the nemesis for all AFCE teams, like the Pats were for years).

Buffalo got their HOF QB and coach, and assumed control.  Miami would always be in the mix, but would generally end up 9-7 or 10-6, and falter in the playoffs.  The glory days were long over. Their fans still thought that the Bills were kind of a temporary condition, and that they would assume their "rightful place" before too long.

But they never did.  That's who the Pats are right now.  More reputation than substance. And BB may be going the way of Shula, who looked much less formidable as he got older.  The game had passed him by. Belichick's last coaching job against the Bills was a head-scratcher.

The only caveat on this is that the Patriots don't have the HOF QB like Miami did.  So, they might not fare quite as well.

This is what we want to happen, not sure we are there yet.  Would you still agree with your post with a L Saturday?

27 minutes ago, Success said:

I see them as Bills of late 90’s….still can land a punch….but not consistently

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

They are inferior team with a QB that cannot shoulder the load

One-dimensional teams get destroyed

Which is why we need to be able to run the ball in the playoffs! The last few games have been encouraging. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

They are inferior team with a QB that cannot shoulder the load

One-dimensional teams get destroyed

They are #15 in passing yards, #8 in rushing, #6 in points scored and #2 in points allowed.   With a rookie QB who had 17 college starts, they went from 7 to 10 wins and made the playoffs.

They went completely one dimensional while beating the Bills at home.  

• Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

The Patriots are a team that will always be a “tough” out. Teams that have a good defense, solid special teams, can run the ball and don’t turn the ball over are always going to be competitive in the regular season and play close games in the playoffs. 

But unless Mac Jones develops into a more dynamic QB they are always going to be hampered in the playoffs.

28 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They are #15 in passing yards, #8 in rushing, #6 in points scored and #2 in points allowed.   With a rookie QB who had 17 college starts, they went from 7 to 10 wins and made the playoffs.

And of course 40 mile per hour winds had nothing to do with that......

Truth be told they should not have even won that game....as long as a hurricane does not blow through on Sunday we got this

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

And of course 40 mile per hour winds had nothing to do with that......

Truth be told they should not have even won that game....as long as a hurricane does not blow through on Sunday we got this

BB changed his game plan because of the wind.  McD didn’t. This has been discussed over and over. Maybe you are saying the Bills are too one dimensional so the wind hurt them more?  Not sure what you’re trying to articulate here. 

Anyway. Bills are 11th best passing game to NE 15th. Your post about them being one dimensional didn’t hold up. Maybe they will be back to 7 wins next season, who knows.  Certainly you didn’t see them making the playoffs this year back in week 1.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

Pretty much but i dont think the game has passed Belly by, he's not one to stick to tradition but is always looking for the advantage.

But i think the division is ours as long as Allen and McDermott are here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Which is why we need to be able to run the ball in the playoffs! The last few games have been encouraging. 

The last 3 games we've run the ball very well when we pull the guards. But when we return to zone blocking our runs get snuffed. As far as NE's long term prognosis,  Belichick and his ego will just be arrogant enough to think he can develop Jones. It's not going to happen and Belichick will retire within the next 5 years. 

Cool. Look, the Bills have played 3 meaningful games with the Patriots the last two years. I do not consider the 2nd game last year as meaningful. By that time we basically had the division locked and New England was down to 2nd string players. 

We could be 3-0 in those games or 0-3. All of them were close and decided in final minutes. Even in the last game which for some reason people seem to feel we completely exercised the demon, we converted a 4th and 1 on an incredible play by Josh late in the 4th. Fail to convert on that play and New England has the ball and is driving for the W. This is after outgaining them by 140 yards and being +2 in the turnover column.

It would be completely out of the context of how these games have gone for anybody to assume it won't come down to a couple plays late in the game on Saturday. Further, for anybody to assume we have established some sort of supremacy, our biggest edge just got fired in Miami. For some reason Bill could never figure Flores while Buffalo handled them with ease.

It feels as if we have the edge, yes, but people consistently overestimate by how much.    

Edited by KzooMike

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

The Patriots are a team that will always be a “tough” out. Teams that have a good defense, solid special teams, can run the ball and don’t turn the ball over are always going to be competitive in the regular season and play close games in the playoffs. 

But unless Mac Jones develops into a more dynamic QB they are always going to be hampered in the playoffs.

This is all true.   They have a really good shot in any game... but I don't see them running a 4 game gauntlet vs the playoff field like this

2 hours ago, Success said:

Dont sleep on the Jets.  They have some good young talent, have a bunch of early round picks and a lot of cap room coming up.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

BB changed his game plan because of the wind.  McD didn’t. This has been discussed over and over. Maybe you are saying the Bills are too one dimensional so the wind hurt them more?  Not sure what you’re trying to articulate here. 

Anyway. Bills are 11th best passing game to NE 15th. Your post about them being one dimensional didn’t hold up. Maybe they will be back to 7 wins next season, who knows.  Certainly you didn’t see them making the playoffs this year back in week 1.

Now on that you got me I did not see the patriots making the playoffs this year

2 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Dont sleep on the Jets.  They have some good young talent, have a bunch of early round picks and a lot of cap room coming up.

We say this every year about the Jets I’m wondering when people will realize that it’s just not going to happen they will end up firing their coach and starting over again before any of their draft picks come to fruition

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Now on that you got me I did not see the patriots making the playoffs this year

We say this every year about the Jets I’m wondering when people will realize that it’s just not going to happen they will end up firing their coach and starting over again before any of their draft picks come to fruition

I forgot to use the sarcasm font.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Thank you,

Youse guys are still on the ropes !

image.png.6c874ae12d9fa2933a54d21d8d8340c0.png

Edited by HOUSE

10 hours ago, MJS said:

The Dolphins had Marino...

I mean it is before my time watching the NFL but my answer was going to be this.... With Marino even if the Bills were better surely Miami had a fear factor. They had what Colin Cowherd describes as a "knock out punch". Mac Jones can only beat you by being tactically perfect with his jab for 12 rounds and out pointing you. You should beat that fighter 95 times out of 100. 

8 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Do they? Who? Their best young player is Mekhi Becton IMO who I think could be a monster left tackle but it looks like he has fallen out with the front office / coaching staff and could be on the outs. I like Vera-tucker and Moore, they were two good picks last year I think Wilson has shown flashes.... and with Franklin Myers and Huff they have a couple of unheralded guys who have out performed expectations on defense but are not difference makers. I'm just not sure I see them as much further forward. Maybe if they stack another good draft class this year on top of last year's they could be heading somewhere. 

Patriots will be a threat as long as Belichik is there and even though there's a lot of confidence in the Bills dispatching them on Saturday night they could easily win and make a deep run in the postseason.

But at the end of the day I think Jones has hit a rookie wall and he'll probably need to a take another step next year for the Pats to truly be back in the conversation as the leagues elite.

15 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yup,  just two seasons apparently tells you what the future is going to be for this division. Now whose acting "entitled"?.

Edited by Ghost_002!

16 hours ago, Success said:

They actually won the division one year but we met them in the AFC Championship game in Miami and rolled them 29-3. It was the Thurman screen game where we screened them to death.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

They actually won the division one year but we met them in the AFC Championship game in Miami and rolled them 29-3. It was the Thurman screen game where we screened them to death.

I totally remember all of that. Good times.  Was that the year that Kelly was hurt & then returned for the AFCCG?  I'm also trying to remember what Berman called Thurman...was it the Thurminator?

I remember thinking Miami was always our 1 real threat in the division - but it seemed like every time there was a crucial game, we bested them.

6 minutes ago, Success said:

I totally remember all of that. Good times.  Was that the year that Kelly was hurt & then returned for the AFCCG?  I'm also trying to remember what Berman called Thurman...was it the Thurminator?

I remember thinking Miami was always our 1 real threat in the division - but it seemed like every time there was a crucial game, we bested them.

Yup, that was the Greatest Game ever played year where they beat the Oilers at home and then drubbed the Steelers and the Dolphins on the road to reach the SB.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Success said:

Thurman was so, so good...

Growing up in those days watching Thurman, Barry, and Emmitt was a golden era of RBs, but IMO Thurman was the best of the 3 because he could play RB, WR, block, and be great at everything. 

He won league MVP as a RB!

People today mention Taylor or Henry as MVP calibur RBs... Thurman was in another universe. Dude could bust a 40 yard run up the middle then go downfield and catch a 30 yard pass down the sideline as a WR!

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/10/2022 at 7:35 PM, Success said:

Totally agree overall but I still think belichick is getting a lot out of a roster without that much talent.  Granted he’s the gm too so I guess the limited talent is on him too 😂

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.