Saturday Night 1/15 Weather Thread

Rubes

Bills should issue paper tix to everyone with a ticket ASAP.

Between phones dying in the cold and people fumbling to take their gloves off and get to their tickets with numb fingers it is going to be a disaster getting in.

GI BILLS!!!

3 hours ago, BuffBills51 said:

What is everyone bringing/wearing special to this game to try to keep warm. I have never brought a blanket into the stadium but think this may be a first time for it. I am going to have my 12 year old son with me and hoping to keep him warm enough to enjoy the game.

Here are my tips, from plenty of skiing and hunting:

Torso: triple layer

1. Base layer: should be tight, but not too restrictive.  I go with polyster, Under Armour.

2. Mid layer: I go with a fleece, or similar material.

3. Shell/outer layer: something wind/water resistant.  I'm a big fan of the Columbia jackets. with thermal fleece shells...so an extra layer of warmth.  I'll probably add a sweatshirt under this too.

Legs:

1. From track days running in low temps, I'll wear under Armour tights.

2. Snow/Ski pants as outer layer

Feet: Double layer socks

1. Normal socks then layer with Wool socks

2. High quality boots, and foot warmers might be helpful in this weather.

Hands: double layer gloves, water resistant on outer layer.  Hand warmers too.

Head: I'll probably go with ear covers, a ski mask and tossle hat, seeing how cold it will be.  And lipbalm, unless you want to go with the Tom Coughlin style look.

And likely plenty of bourbon, for extra protection 😁.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Ya unfortunately I agree. No question our best player is Allen. And he's great at throwing the ball, he's not a rb. Bad weather hinders our strength in a match up with a run first team. If we were playing the cardinals and its a dual between Murray and Allen in Bad weather then I'd say it might give us more of an edge cuz josh has the stronger arm to cut through wind. But head to head against a patriots team that doesn't rely much on the arm of their qb, with a great rb room the advantage goes to the pats.

But it's all irrelevant cuz the bills will still win Saturday 

How does it hinder the passing game more though…football gets tougher to grip in cold temps and it’s just as likely we’ll see a run heavy team get a case of fumbilitis as a pass heavy team dropping passes. Not to mention our qb runs like a fb but that’s another story lol 

the scheme the pats have thrown at us offensively one fumble by them would be absolutely catastrophic while a few drops by us likely wouldn’t sink our chances 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

4 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

How does it hinder the passing game more though…football gets tougher to grip in cold temps and it’s just as likely we’ll see a run heavy team get a case of fumbilitis as a pass heavy team dropping passes. Not to mention our qb runs like a fb but that’s another story lol 

the scheme the pats have thrown at us offensively one fumble by them would be absolutely catastrophic while a few drops by us likely wouldn’t sink our chances 

Agree, ball security will impact both styles of offense.  Harris has almost fumbled the pitch on toss sweeps, in both games against us. 

In extreme cold, gripping the ball to throw can be very challenging.  Josh will be fine, Mac will certainly be tested. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Tell me purist, open-air stadium fans, how does this scheduling a playoff game in bone chilling cold with snow, enhance a fan's experience and help our team's chances. What should be a tremendous home field advantage and a memorable family event, is now a fight to survive conditions that could threaten your health. The national audience will love watching this spectacle from the comfort of their homes, but the hearty souls in attendance will experience cruel and unusual punishment.

The members of Bills Mafia attending Saturday night’s game will be among the very best warriors chosen to defend Snow Sparta. They understand the difficult task at hand and accept the challenge. They are well-acquainted with all of the cutting-edge winter warfare technology known as “coats,” “beanies,” “mittens,” and “scarves.” They are not pathetic weaklings like yourself who will, in due time, be appropriately culled from the fanbase herd. But this is Patriots Playoff Week, so let’s all stay focused and positive.

Cheers!

-Commie Kay

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Remember the 90's going to these cold  playoff games. Dressed for the weather but I worked out in it back in the day and I was 25 years younger then. Will be there for this round but must admit not looking forward to it. Bills vs ravens playoff game last year was no picnic but a Bills win made it seem pretty warm,

Worst experience was raider game, cold as ice. Bought a beer, put next to my seat and when I went for a sip it froze, had to chop a hole in the thin layer of ice in the cup. Now the bad part, all the tap systems in the stadium froze and the beer sales were over.

Go Bills! See you all Saturday night. It'll be a HOT time in the old town!

30 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Hands are always the toughest for me to keep warm.

The last few years I've been using Ice Armor glove/mitts; they're designed for ice fishing so it's a glove with regular fingers and then a mitten shell on the outside. If I wear them outside in anything warmer than about 15-20F my hands will actually sweat until I have to take them off for a few minutes to cool off.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/icearmor-by-clam-renegade-mitts

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

The members of Bills Mafia attending Saturday night’s game will be among the very best warriors chosen to defend Snow Sparta. They understand the difficult task at hand and accept the challenge. They are well-acquainted with all of the cutting-edge winter warfare technology known as “coats,” “beanies,” “mittens,” and “scarves.” They are not pathetic weaklings like yourself who will, in due time, be appropriately culled from the fanbase herd. But this is Patriots Playoff Week, so let’s all stay focused and positive.

Cheers!

-Commie Kay

17 minutes ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

Cheers!

-Commie Kay

Kay, I speak on behalf of all the pathetic weakling you have so aptly identified, thank you for supporting the team in these harsh conditions. You represent the best and the brightest of your generation. I look forward to being culled from the herd when you bring home the victory. Thanks for putting the merits of an open air stadium in unsafe, freezing conditions in perspective as only a true Gladiator like yourself can do. I'll toast you and the team after we win Saturday. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

1. Base layer: should be tight, but not too restrictive.  I go with polyster, Under Armour.

3. Shell/outer layer: something wind/water resistant.  I'm a big fan of the Columbia jackets. with thermal fleece shells...so an extra layer of warmth.  I'll probably add a sweatshirt under this too.

Legs:

Head: I'll probably go with ear covers, a ski mask and tossle hat, seeing how cold it will be.  And lipbalm, unless you want to go with the Tom Coughlin style look.

Go Bills!

At Sabres games I always wear a t-shirt under my jersey in case I get a little warm.

1 minute ago, Turbo44 said:

NFL is fkn idiotic. Night game in Buffalo in January - brilliant, fkn brilliant

To the NFL it makes for great tv. They will talk countless times about the fans freezing our asses off. Will make mention of the multiple cold weather games in NFL history. It’s a business and it plays out perfectly for them. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, BuffBills51 said:

To the NFL it makes for great tv. They will talk countless times about the fans freezing our asses off. Will make mention of the multiple cold weather games in NFL history. It’s a business and it plays out perfectly for them. 

The Frozen Tundra.

11 hours ago, Rockpile233 said:

It’s so funny Saturday’s high of 8 stands out like a sore thumb on the weather app. Funny that Sunday actually looks nice for once, go figure.

I was thinking of getting a tee time for Sunday its gonna be so nice - wonder which course I should play????

2 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Legs:

Go Bills!

I basically ran this setup last week skiing in Montana where temp on the summit one day was a high of 0/1 and wind chills probably -15 or -20. I was never uncomfortable. Gear nowadays is so good that if you have the right stuff you will be fine. Some of the best money I’ve ever spend is on good skiing / outdoor winter gear that I can also use for Bills games. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Been negatives here in eastern Montana for like 12 days straight. It's the wind that's killer. If I can find a spot that's not windy it's not so bad. Today jumped up to 30 and it just feels so warm! Honestly though I have no idea how humans can run and hit each other for 4 hours in negative weather. Definitely a mental thing I'm sure. 

4 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

I basically ran this setup last week skiing in Montana where temp on the summit one day was a high of 0/1 and wind chills probably -15 or -20. I was never uncomfortable. Gear nowadays is so good that if you have the right stuff you will be fine. Some of the best money I’ve ever spend is on good skiing / outdoor winter gear that I can also use for Bills games. 

I was just gonna say this lol this whole cold weather fear is getting a little crazy…plenty of people willingly participate in outdoor winter activities without issue 🤣  it’s not like fans are gonna be in the stands for a 1ft per hour lake effect snowstorm or in the middle of a monsoon.  Minnesota played outdoor football for a few years when their new stadium was being built. 

2 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I was just gonna say this lol this whole cold weather fear is getting a little crazy…plenty of people willingly participate in outdoor winter activities without issue 🤣  it’s not like fans are gonna be in the stands for a 1ft per hour lake effect snowstorm or in the middle of a monsoon.  Minnesota played outdoor football for a few years when their new stadium was being built. 

Minnesota played football outside for a couple decades or more actually back before their first dome was built. Green Bay, Chicago and others for 70+ years now. The whole subject is asinine but I guess that’s people in 2022. 

• Like (+1) 1

WGRZ says game slated to be the second coldest game in the history of the stadium.

The gold standard for cold winter Bills games in Orchard Park is the 1994 Divisional Playoff game against the then Los Angeles Raiders. That game was played on Saturday, January 15 with a temperature of zero degrees and a wind chill between -10 and -20 degrees.  (We won 29-23).  

The second coldest game in Bills history in Orchard Park was set just a few weeks earlier on December 26, 1993 with a game time temperature of 11 degrees and a wind chill near -10 degrees.   

https://www.wgrz.com/article/weather/buffalo-bills-playoff-game-will-be-one-of-the-coldest-games-ever-in-orchard-park-highmark-stadium/71-9e041aa4-3e06-4421-9cfd-37f04a857ae0

15 hours ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Kay, I speak on behalf of all the pathetic weakling you have so aptly identified, thank you for supporting the team in these harsh conditions. You represent the best and the brightest of your generation. I look forward to being culled from the herd when you bring home the victory. Thanks for putting the merits of an open air stadium in unsafe, freezing conditions in perspective as only a true Gladiator like yourself can do. I'll toast you and the team after we win Saturday. 

The Pro Football Gods of Buffalo look favorably upon your humility, HamptonBillsFan. Your execution at the makeshift celebratory Super Bowl gallows of Niagara Square will be relatively swift and painless. Like maybe 10 to 20 minutes, tops, of squirming? In accordance with tradition, know that upon your termination, your descendants shall be granted one tenth of a quarter acre of land at Love Canal. But the land is to remain undomed, so I suppose your posterity will just have to learn to deal with the WNY elements.

And thank you for acknowledging me as one of Snow Sparta’s finest warrior princesses! Legend has it that my real father was actually a polar bear, HIS father was an even larger polar bear, and my father’s father’s father was a civil engineer who emigrated from Poznan. Possibly true supplemental story: famed Buffalo Bills 2000 round 6 draft pick, Leif Larsen, once wrestled my alleged grandfather polar bear on an iceberg. A much younger Coach Sean McDermott (with hair!) happened to be in attendance on that iceberg venue and diligently took notes on my grandpa’s wrestling technique.

Anywho…on first glance, I do admittedly look like the runt of the warrior litter. But what I lack in physical intimidation, I more than make up for in sartorial judgmentalism and general psychological warfare skills. All week long I intend to trigger eating disorders in any Masshole, New Hampjerk, Connectic*nt, Rhode Vile-ander, Vermin-tite, or native to Meane who dares to disrespect the Bills franchise and/or the Queen City herself.

But alas, it was not my preordained destiny to be at Highmark Stadium this Saturday night! I am to be positioned at the southern defensive flank of Upstate NY that is more commonly known among New Jersey Jests fans as “Manhattan.”

One of my brothers is going to the game, though! He will be properly prepared for the outdoor battle, assuming he doesn’t change plans at the last minute and go to the Buffalo Bandits indoor pro lax game that is scheduled at the same time. I find it so ridiculous that the Bills, Bandits, and Sabres games are all scheduled at the same time. Actually, none of us brave warriors of Snow Sparta intend to watch the Sabres game…we’re all quite brave but certainly not THAT brave.

EDIT: This week’s Bandits home game was moved a day earlier to this Friday 7:30pm. Yay!

Edited by ComradeKayAdams

9 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Agreed completely. It’s that wind watch that has been painful for me all year. We should be able to throw the ball with no issues. 

Catching the ball when it’s negative degrees can be challenging too

• Like (+1) 3

Just a couple weeks ago (week 17) Green Bay beat Minnesota in 5 degrees at night.  Just Youtube the highlights if you want to be refreshed.  Rodgers - an elite California QB-  had no major issues throwing the ball.  Josh needs to throw a catchable ball..  Diggs needs to do his best Davante Adams impersonation and make clutch catches.  Buffalo has the better passing game, they need to use it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

The Pro Football Gods of Buffalo look favorably upon your humility, HamptonBillsFan. Your execution at the makeshift celebratory Super Bowl gallows of Niagara Square will be relatively swift and painless. Like maybe 10 to 20 minutes, tops, of squirming? In accordance with tradition, know that upon your termination, your descendants shall be granted one tenth of a quarter acre of land at Love Canal. But the land is to remain undomed, so I suppose your posterity will just have to learn to deal with the WNY elements.

And thank you for acknowledging me as one of Snow Sparta’s finest warrior princesses! Legend has it that my real father was actually a polar bear, HIS father was an even larger polar bear, and my father’s father’s father was a civil engineer who emigrated from Poznan. Possibly true supplemental story: famed Buffalo Bills 2000 round 6 draft pick, Leif Larsen, once wrestled my alleged grandfather polar bear on an iceberg. A much younger Coach Sean McDermott (with hair!) happened to be in attendance on that iceberg venue and diligently took notes on my grandpa’s wrestling technique.

Anywho…on first glance, I do admittedly look like the runt of the warrior litter. But what I lack in physical intimidation, I more than make up for in sartorial judgmentalism and general psychological warfare skills. All week long I intend to trigger eating disorders in any Masshole, New Hampjerk, Connectic*nt, Rhode Vile-ander, Vermin-tite, or native to Meane who dares to disrespect the Bills franchise and/or the Queen City herself.

But alas, it was not my preordained destiny to be at Highmark Stadium this Saturday night! I am to be positioned at the southern defensive flank of Upstate NY that is more commonly known among New Jersey Jests fans as “Manhattan.”

One of my brothers is going to the game, though! He will be properly prepared for the outdoor battle, assuming he doesn’t change plans at the last minute and go to the Buffalo Bandits indoor pro lax game that is scheduled at the same time. I find it so ridiculous that the Bills, Bandits, and Sabres games are all scheduled at the same time. Actually, none of us brave warriors of Snow Sparta intend to watch the Sabres game…we’re all quite brave but certainly not THAT brave.

Kay,thanks for the background information. This will be my final remarks in this compelling back and forth. I tell you this because I care, I spoke with your team of doctors, they want you to go back on your medication and stop wearing the Putin mask to the supermarket, your scaring the children. If you want to continue going to the stadium, please comply with these requests. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.