Saturday Night 1/15 Weather Thread

Rubes

31 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I think they will be ok long as the wind is 20mph or less

Winds projected to be light and variable which means around 5-8mph

Cannot get less wind than that in Buffalo. Best case scenario

• Like (+1) 3

Tell me purist, open-air stadium fans, how does this scheduling a playoff game in bone chilling cold with snow, enhance a fan's experience and help our team's chances. What should be a tremendous home field advantage and a memorable family event, is now a fight to survive conditions that could threaten your health. The national audience will love watching this spectacle from the comfort of their homes, but the hearty souls in attendance will experience cruel and unusual punishment. ⁰

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

15 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Tell me purist, open-air stadium fans, how does this scheduling a playoff game in bone chilling cold with snow, enhance a fan's experience and help our team's chances. What should be a tremendous home field advantage and a memorable family event, is now a fight to survive conditions that could threaten your health. The national audience will love watching this spectacle from the comfort of their homes, but the hearty souls in attendance will experience cruel and unusual punishment. ⁰

Lol if you don't want to go don't go

And it's still an insane advantage for the Buffalo Bills because guess who's not going to be able to throw in the weather?

Rag ahm Mac Jones 

Jack kemp Jim Kelly and Josh Allen all had an advantage at others didn't.. they can throw the ball in weather that others can't

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Lol if you don't want to go don't go

And it's still an insane advantage for the Buffalo Bills because guess who's not going to be able to throw in the weather?

Rag ahm Mac Jones 

Jack kemp Jim Kelly and Josh Allen all had an advantage at others didn't.. they can throw the ball in weather that others can't

How about fans in single digits with wind chills sub zero. When looking at new stadiums, a dome is the way to go.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, BuffBills51 said:

What is everyone bringing/wearing special to this game to try to keep warm. I have never brought a blanket into the stadium but think this may be a first time for it. I am going to have my 12 year old son with me and hoping to keep him warm enough to enjoy the game.

just remember feet, hands and head are most important to keep warm

28 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

I'd just about give my left nut to be up there, freezing my butt off in that Stadium for this game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

How about fans in single digits with wind chills sub zero. When looking at new stadiums, a dome is the way to go.

We played in it in the '60s and seventies and '80s and '90s 

Very rarely does it get to Sub-Zero wind chill .. guess what that's what makes us special that we hang in there

Again if you don't want to go don't go.. there will be plenty who are willing to go

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

I've always enjoyed watching these games on tv, this time I get to see if I can deal with it live.  Question: Does 2 pairs of thermals make you warmer or does it make you colder?  I've found that extra socks ended up making me colder as they were cutting my circulation.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Very rarely does it get to Sub-Zero wind chill .. guess what that's what makes us special that we hang in there

Again if you don't want to go don't go.. there will be plenty who are willing to go

It's not just me, how about thinking of great fans that would love to be there but because of age or health problems,wouldn't chance it. 4 or 5 hours in sub zero wind chills and snow, would you want your grandparents or your kids, under 10 shivering in their boots.

• Dislike 1

49 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Uhhhh, maybe not. Bills playoff tickets down to $56!  They were $190 last week.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/afc-wild-card-playoffs-bills-v-orchard-park-new-york-01-15-2022/event/00005A8799BB1DEC

Edited by PromoTheRobot

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Uhhhh, maybe not. Bills playoff tickets down to $50!  They were $190 last week.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/afc-wild-card-playoffs-bills-v-orchard-park-new-york-01-15-2022/event/00005A8799BB1DEC

Yeah but that's resale

Those tickets were already bought.. Pegula already paid 

If 45,000 people show up I would be worried promo

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah but that's resale

Those tickets were already bought.. Pegula already paid 

If 45,000 people show up I would be worried promo

Don't be surprised if that happens. Between the cold, Canadians unable to cross the border and Pats fans not travelling.

13 minutes ago, driddles said:

I've always enjoyed watching these games on tv, this time I get to see if I can deal with it live.  Question: Does 2 pairs of thermals make you warmer or does it make you colder?  I've found that extra socks ended up making me colder as they were cutting my circulation.

It works if the outer thermal is not too tight. The thin layer of air between them is what's actually beneficial so if you wear really tight clothes it negates that layer of air and slightly limits circulation. Keep that second thermal loose and you will be warmer. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

53 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Didn't watch it but drinking alcohol doesn't actually MAKE YOU WARMER....it makes you think you are warmer by numbing you to the cold, if that makes sense.

Jump into icy water with a bottle of Jack Daniels and drink away.

You'll be dead in about 5 minutes, just like the guy without the bottle of Jack.

At least the guy with the Jack will die happier.

😂

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Process said:

Are you in Buffalo? It's 6 degrees right now. Go stand outside for 30 minutes and then try to throw and catch a football. 

I do think it's an advantage for Buffalo, noodle arm has no chance. But it will definitely affect us, especially the way Josh throws it. 

Cold of this magnitude is absolutely going to impact the game.  That was my point mentioning all this several pages ago.

I disagree that it helps Buffalo. I think it will hurt us, generally speaking.

We are the more skilled team (better QB) and our performance is going to be impaired.  New England's performance with Mac Jones is ALWAYS impaired.  Not trying to joke.

The weather will just serve to lower our ceiling and bring us closer to NE, generally speaking.

Doesn't mean the weather can't hurt NE or help the Bills on a given play though.

I would prefer the game to be played in 55 degrees, and not b/c I'll be there and will be cold.

The cold is going to limit what the Bills do, and I hate that.

1 hour ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

The well-reasoned answer you will get is that this is “real football.” 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It’s going to be about 5 degrees during the game lol.

But way in the negatives with wind chill, and that's right at the beginning, with everything getting worse as the game goes on. 

It's not going to be the coldest game of all time, and there will certainly have been worse games...but it's going to be ridiculously cold and it is going to have an impact on the game.

God forbid we get some luck with a weird, unseasonal warming and a game with temps in the low 40s or something---which certainly CAN happen in WNY in January.  Not that often though!

I remember one year (maybe in the 1980s) it was in the low 60s on a random January day in Buffalo and people were outside wearing shorts.  I remember thinking "it's a lovely day today and I'm eating this weather up, but shorts is going a bit too far."

🤪

12 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Cold of this magnitude is absolutely going to impact the game.  That was my point mentioning all this several pages ago.

We are the more skilled team (better QB) and our performance is going to be impaired.  New England's performance with Mac Jones is ALWAYS impaired.  Not trying to joke.

The weather will just serve to lower our ceiling and bring us closer to NE, generally speaking.

Doesn't mean the weather can't hurt NE or help the Bills on a given play though.

I would prefer the game to be played in 55 degrees, and not b/c I'll be there and will be cold.

Did you watch Rogers and Packers vs Vikings a couple of weeks ago? They threw and caught the ball pretty well and it was 2 degrees during the game. Bills Raiders 0 degrees was one of Kelly's best games

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/10/2022 at 11:29 AM, Nextmanup said:

It's easy to keep balls dry and rotate them in for rain games; not sure how you keep them warm.

I'm not aware of any heater or process for doing that.

And if they did do that, Jim Kelly wouldn't have gone off on the problems with a cold ball.

Maybe it's changed since he played?  

What ever players on the sideline just need to sit on the balls 😁

5 minutes ago, BuffBills51 said:

What is everyone bringing/wearing special to this game to try to keep warm. I have never brought a blanket into the stadium but think this may be a first time for it. I am going to have my 12 year old son with me and hoping to keep him warm enough to enjoy the game.

Put a layer of Hot Hands inside the boots.

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL absolutely LOVES this, which is yet another reason there will be no dome in Buffalo. You'll hear over and over about the cold on the telecast. They're going to play it up.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again here: the NFL is a TV product, and the stadiums are the TV sets. Fans and weather create the Buffalo atmosphere that makes a game here different from playing in Indianapolis or Minnesota. 

Games in Buffalo are special. College atmosphere, crazy fans, sometimes crazy weather. There's a mystique. Now, that doesn't mean it's an ADVANTAGE for the Bills, but it is something special for the PRODUCT that is the NFL. 

65,000 (ish) fans at the stadium will be a bit cold, but millions watching on TV will love every second of watching America's Team get the W in front of Bills Mafia, which will be plenty warmed up and ready to roll!

Being bundled up AND in such a dense crowd of people makes a difference too. If you dress warmly you'll be fine, and I will say "man it must be freezing there!" as I watch on my couch in my warm living room! 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 4

39 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

People have done a lot of analysis on that and cold does not really have a correlation with any offensive metrics.  Sure if you’re standing out in the cold for hours your hands start to feel like bricks but these dudes are standing by big @ss heaters in huge puffy jackets at least half the game 

wind and rain sure, but cold is not as big of a factor as you think.

biggest thing cold air does is makes it difficult to breathe and that affects both teams at all times.  Qb grip could be an issue as prolonged exposure would hurt grip on the football but qbs use hand warmers and the football deflates a little bit in cold temps

7 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Don't they have a dome?

Also thought it was funny that in his interview inside he was probably wearing a shirt a hoodie and a coat.

They played outside for a year or two while their stadium was being built. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

https://www.wgrz.com/article/weather/buffalo-bills-playoff-game-will-be-one-of-the-coldest-games-ever-in-orchard-park-highmark-stadium/71-9e041aa4-3e06-4421-9cfd-37f04a857ae0

With kickoff at 8:15 p.m., the temperature will be near 6 to 8 degrees and may fall a degree or two during the game. There will be a easterly breeze between 5 to 10 mph and wind chill values range from 0 to -5 degrees. The cold should be the only weather concern as there will be no falling snow to contend with.

Here is the upside to this cold forecast. Since 1990 the Bills have played in four very cold games in Orchard Park where the temperature failed to reach at least 22 degrees. The Bills won every one of those games.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

https://www.wgrz.com/article/weather/buffalo-bills-playoff-game-will-be-one-of-the-coldest-games-ever-in-orchard-park-highmark-stadium/71-9e041aa4-3e06-4421-9cfd-37f04a857ae0

With kickoff at 8:15 p.m., the temperature will be near 6 to 8 degrees and may fall a degree or two during the game. There will be a easterly breeze between 5 to 10 mph and wind chill values range from 0 to -5 degrees. The cold should be the only weather concern as there will be no falling snow to contend with.

Here is the upside to this cold forecast. Since 1990 the Bills have played in four very cold games in Orchard Park where the temperature failed to reach at least 22 degrees. The Bills won every one of those games.

I’m a lot more worried about me dying at the game than how the cold affects the players 😂

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

What are the rules for lighting fires in the official parking lots?

Our group is planning to tailgate, but we're going to need heat. 

Can you burn wood in a bbq, barrel, or even on the ground?

Not sure what the rules are, but I've seen many fires before recent games.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

The good news is wind will be light. The bad news is the football will be frozen and shatter into 1000 crystalized pieces upon impact.  Wind chill at kickoff will be around -5.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Ya unfortunately I agree. No question our best player is Allen. And he's great at throwing the ball, he's not a rb. Bad weather hinders our strength in a match up with a run first team. If we were playing the cardinals and its a dual between Murray and Allen in Bad weather then I'd say it might give us more of an edge cuz josh has the stronger arm to cut through wind. But head to head against a patriots team that doesn't rely much on the arm of their qb, with a great rb room the advantage goes to the pats.

But it's all irrelevant cuz the bills will still win Saturday 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.