Boston Globe tough on Belichick

Shaw66

The Patriots achieved far more than what was expected of them prior to the season and I think the fans should be a little more thankful. Mac Jones has looked pretty good his rookie season and the defense is top notch. I don't think they'll go far in the post-seasom, but at least they have something to build on. Honestly, I hope they suffer a little more. 

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Flutie sucked.  That was an era of a wasted defense.  Comparing the Flutie Bills to any Belichick Patriots team is laughable. 

Flutie didn't "suck." He was just overhyped. Indeed the most polarizing figures in Bills history other than OJ.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

The Patriots achieved far more than what was expected of them prior to the season and I think the fans should be a little more thankful. Mac Jones has looked pretty good his rookie season and the defense is top notch. I don't think they'll go far in the post-seasom, but at least they have something to build on. Honestly, I hope they suffer a little more. 

Flutie didn't "suck." He was just overhyped. Indeed the most polarizing figures in Bills history other than OJ.

I don’t think they did really…they had a good defense last year even with a few important Covid holdouts.  They were an average qb away from being a good not great team which is exactly what they are.  The whole pats hype train thing just doesn’t add up to me…idk how nfl analysts weren’t talking them up as an afc east competitor pre season.  7 win team missing some defensive standouts and with a starting qb that literally can’t throw the ball last season was about right results wise too.  Pats are exactly what I expected 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

36 minutes ago, MJS said:

That's just not true at all. If you win, you keep your job. If you lose, you lose your job. Whether or not you are entertaining, or a good interview, or have a sense of humor, or anything else is irrelevant. For a coach, it is only about winning. That's the only thing that will save their job.

All those things you said are literally the LEAST important thing about their job. Yeah, some coaches are more personable, and that's nice. Good for them. I like that McDermott answers questions and isn't a jerk to the media, but McDermott knows that being a nice guy in interviews is not his job and will never save his job. He knows it comes down to building a winning team and winning football games. Period.

As for Belichick? Yeah, I don't like him. His interviews are stupid. But I respect him as a winning coach, all cheating scandals aside. And he will have a job in New England, or for almost any other team in the NFL, for as long as he wants because of what he has accomplished on the field, regardless of his bad interviews.

Yeah you're missing my entire point, of course a head coach needs to win to keep his job.  This thread was about reporters being tough on Bill and I made the comment that he has zero social skills and more than one beat reporter has told Chris Brown it sucks dealing with the guy as your full time job.  

Some coaches win AND handle themselves off the field with charisma and a little humor, and it's more enjoyable for everyone.    That's all.  I think McD is pretty good in that regard (getting a little more loose as the years go on), Reid is the king, Arians too.  Here's a good link for Bruce https://www.azcardinals.com/video/the-best-of-bruce-arians-funniest-moments-of-2013-12396112

• Like (+1) 1

They did not have a good defense last year, their record indicated that and by the time their season was over they were so badly decimated with injuries. They were using safeties as LBs.

I know it's better to only pick out those certain posts and articles about the Patriots.

But overall the team is doing just fine after just two years..

Bills should have the more talented roster. They were building it while the Patriots still had Brady.

Just like when the pats were on top. The division should be the Bills until someone beats them out.

Edited by Ghost_002!

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Wow.  Here's something the Globe said yesterday or today.

But he was a genius just 3 weeks ago ;)

I guess his team got fat and lazy with the bye and dropped 2 straight ;)

Or the reality....that they were beating some teams without their best players and Indy and the Bills are far superior teams

• Like (+1) 1

The guys on WGR said it best the other day - the Pats fans and media think they're the biggest character in the NFL movie and just assumed they'd dominate for another 20 years after Jones had a couple good games.

They need to realize that they're just another team now and will have good seasons and terrible seasons like everyone else. Like spoiled children who have never been told "no" they can't handle not being the best year in, year out. I'm interested to see how many of their fans stick around once they have a few losing seasons in a row. I think a lot of them will jump ship to the the Chiefs or whoever

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Pats are a good, B+ team.  The Bills are an A team.  Belichick deserves credit, not praise, for pulling together a team that's as good as it is, including a long win streak with a rookie QB who lacks an above-average arm.  I think the Pats ran out of patsies and now have to play tough competition.  

57 minutes ago, Utah John said:

The Pats are a good, B+ team.  The Bills are an A team.  Belichick deserves credit, not praise, for pulling together a team that's as good as it is, including a long win streak with a rookie QB who lacks an above-average arm.  I think the Pats ran out of patsies and now have to play tough competition.  

Patriot fans need to accept that the Bills now have Josh Allen.  Super hero franchise QB.  A QB I wouldn't trade for any other QB right now.  If you wanted to genetically create a QB with superior physical ability, mental aptitude, toughness, emotions, and leadership skills you'd come up with Josh.  No amount of Belichik kryptonite was going to stop Superman on Sunday.  Surround him with a supporting cast of some very good offensive players (but still upgrade the o-line!) and its a lethal offensive group when it's working.  Add in a coaching staff and front office that hits more than it misses.  Add it all up to a worthy and potentially dominant adversary. 

That's what their fans will be looking at twice a year for the next 10 years.  So back at ya.  Deal with it.  We had to.  But that is over for us.  Going forward they'll be licking the white dog poop!

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

10 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Music to my ears.  They got lucky in Buffalo because the conditions played into their hands. At the same time, if Jackson makes that pick on JA we may have been discussing a different outcome in Foxboro. Buffalo was a little bit lucky on that play. 

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Flutie sucked.  That was an era of a wasted defense.  Comparing the Flutie Bills to any Belichick Patriots team is laughable. 

Are you a Flutie fan? :lol: 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

We can agree to disagree.

I know that his patented 55-step drop-back, running around in circles, then scrambling for a 1-yard gain excited a lot of people.

Me?  I thought he sucked.

6 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Arguably the greatest QB in the history of the game will mask a lot of the HC’s deficiencies. Belichick is possibly the greatest defensive coordinator the league has ever seen, so it was a match made in heaven. But make no mistake, had Brady been drafted by another team, there would be NO talk of Belichick being the greatest HC ever.
He owes 75-80% of his credit to Brady, that was the guy who was actually on the field making clutch throws in tight Super Bowl after tight Super Bowl.

Yup, been saying he's the greatest defensive mind in NFL history.  And had Brady to be the offensive mind.  

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

He was a gimmick that the NFL figured out within the span of a season's worth of games.  Plus he was near the end of his career when he returned to the NFL.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

The guys on WGR said it best the other day - the Pats fans and media think they're the biggest character in the NFL movie and just assumed they'd dominate for another 20 years after Jones had a couple good games.

They need to realize that they're just another team now and will have good seasons and terrible seasons like everyone else. Like spoiled children who have never been told "no" they can't handle not being the best year in, year out. I'm interested to see how many of their fans stick around once they have a few losing seasons in a row. I think a lot of them will jump ship to the the Chiefs or whoever

Sounds like your post and local radio station is generalizing alot here.

12 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

NE sports media and the Patriots have been a "chicken little" bunch for years.  The idea that "Belichick deserves to be put under a microscope, because his team is falling apart in December for the second straight year." when he's trying to adapt and adjust to the loss of a first-ballot HOF QB is preposterous.

Last year he was dealing with a bunch of opt-outs and limited cap space.  This year he's dealing with a rookie QB who is learning the game. 

Those guys are spoilt, spoilt rotten I tell ya.

Microscope, phoooie

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, stuvian said:

I know we're supposed the hate the Pats but honestly, this season might be one of BB's best coaching jobs ever. That team is playing miles above their talent level and Mac Jones plays with the poise of 5 year pro.

I think he did the same one year with Matt Cassell when Brady went down in game 1 of the season.

All this narrative will change if the Bills laid a egg against Atlanta and NE wins against the Jaguars....At that point the NE media will make BB again a darling...I hope the Bills can take care and keep this golden opportunity handed to them.  Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

NE sports media and the Patriots have been a "chicken little" bunch for years.  The idea that "Belichick deserves to be put under a microscope, because his team is falling apart in December for the second straight year." when he's trying to adapt and adjust to the loss of a first-ballot HOF QB is preposterous.

You're right.   How is Payton doing in New Orleans without his Hall of Famer?

17 hours ago, Doc said:

Except that his record without Brady is well below .500 and Brady just won a SB with another team. 

And his record with brady is with systemic cheating, an unprecedented run of ridiculously favorable officiating, easy division title with 1st rd playoff bye for years in putrid conference, FAs signing at discounts to win rings etc etc - it absolutely mystifies me everyone just ignores this with the whole greatest coach ever crap

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MJS said:

As for Belichick? Yeah, I don't like him. His interviews are stupid. But I respect him as a winning coach, all cheating scandals aside. 

I don't get this. If you're caught cheating, doesn't that cast a pall over your accomplishments? Doesn't it raise questions of how legitimate your successes are? How great a coach are you if you have to resort to cheating?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

You're right.   How is Payton doing in New Orleans without his Hall of Famer?

Well, to be fair, he has them in the playoff hunt despite this and having to cut $100M in salary cap over the off-season.  Belichick went on a spending spree.

Just now, Doc said:

Well, to be fair, he has them in the playoff hunt despite this and having to cut $100M in salary cap over the off-season.  Belichick went on a spending spree.

They're 7-8 and the 10th seed in the NFC right now.  I suppose you could call that "in the hunt" but it looks unlikely.

To be fair, that's about the same or a little better than Belicheck had the Pats last year with a motley crew at QB and a bad cap situation.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Doc said:

Except that his record without Brady is well below .500 and Brady just won a SB with another team. 

Except Brady didn't win the SB with just another team. TB was stacked and loaded last year. Look at this year when Brady loses 2 key players he gets shut out. Football isn't tennis - sustained success takes more than just one player.

12 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Winning seven straight games is a big achievement and the Pats* deserved credit for that. When they started saying it was the greatest winning streak ever and talking them up as super bowl contenders it got ridiculous.
That MNF game showed me that the Pats* weren’t that good. I said to my friend in the way home, if that game was played in 50 degree weather with a light breeze, it’s an easy win for Buffalo. Shockingly, we saw how far apart these teams are in Sunday. They stole one, but the Bills are far more talented and have the superior player at the most important position

I said in another thread……NE played with 12 on defense…one was the wind.

• Like (+1) 1

Who would have thought it easier to win with HOF QB than a rookie QB. For anyone paying attention, Mac Jones limitations are obvious, Globe writers are blaming Belichick? I’m far from a Belichick fan, but they should be praising the guy for winning as many games as he has. This is Jones’ pass attempts on Sunday, it’s what his whole season looks like. His compilation percentage has been higher, but can’t complete anything down field.

image.thumb.jpeg.68ef0a8c2f89e1705ef62b8dbd2cc5b2.jpeg

Edited by chris heff
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We mostly see highlights of other teams, the big plays, the big fails. "National media" always give big praises or the same downpoints. But local fans and journalists see the minor yet annoying quirks, criticize more, the small stuff, etc. It must be annoying to players and staff but it is what it is.

Annoying as often a lot is true, but fans and journalists somehow act like if elsewhere it's all perfect or all bad. Case in point: the OL blamed on Beane all the time. As if great offensive linemen are just sitting on a shelf, waiting to get picked or drafted by the Bills GM. EVERY team has weaknesses. All of them.

Edited by Jerome007

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

I'm sure you're one of the super loyal Pats fans

If you are being sarcastic, yes I am. I been rooting for them since Hugh Millen was their QB. If you do not know who that is, then that should also answer you question. He was the QB before Bledsoe and Parcells got there. He was their QB while some of their games weren't being broadcast locally. 

12 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

If our coach won 6 Super Bowls I would give him the benefit of the doubt for a few down seasons. 

See i think some here may not know. Since NE is a bigger media outlet than buffalo. NE has plenty of radio host, and writers who take the contrary approach to their journalism. As this comes off as "ungrateful" New Englanders. What you are reading is someone taken "the devils advocate" approach, "contrary" approach, looking at it from another point of view. That newspaper, the Global does that a lot, but takes the "fluff" approach with the redsox because they are owned by the redsox.  

4 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Spoke to friends that are Pats fans after Sunday’s game. They said this “Bills beat the crap out of them, but we still have Brady and the Bucs”. 

• Vomit 3

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They're 7-8 and the 10th seed in the NFC right now.  I suppose you could call that "in the hunt" but it looks unlikely.

To be fair, that's about the same or a little better than Belicheck had the Pats last year with a motley crew at QB and a bad cap situation.

Yeah but they lost their starting QB midway through the season and have been down to their third and fourth string quarterbacks.

30 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Except Brady didn't win the SB with just another team. TB was stacked and loaded last year. Look at this year when Brady loses 2 key players he gets shut out. Football isn't tennis - sustained success takes more than just one player.

True they had a stacked team.  But Brady had been clamoring for more help on offense his last year in New England.

12 hours ago, ganesh said:

This is what happens when you have beens spoilt for over two decades.  It is hard to accept the mediocrity.  We went through this right after the Flutie era.

Yup. It's normal. And particularly because it does indeed revive the was it Brady or Belichick thing. People, reasonably, wonder if he can do it without Tom. It's way too early to say he can't, but being put under the microscope? Reasonable. Nobody's saying he's going to be fired. Just that he deserves closer scrutiny. Hard to argue that.

It's also the way their wins and losses lined up this year. They looked pretty bad early, and then really good as the season got down to brass tacks. It raised their expectations too much.

This fan base - me too - are probably too excited after this win. They're too depressed. Makes sense. This was a huge game for both groups, and both knew it. Pats fans thought, "Hey, we're Buffalo's rivals again." This crushed that narrative. They're rightfully down.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

If our coach was a sub .500 coach without a HoF QB, had never won a SB without said QB, said QB had just won a SB without him and  was going on 70 years old, Id doubt him plenty.  

It's more impressive than you make it sound there, what Belichick did. 

Brady right from year one was better than people were giving him credit for. But he wasn't what we now think of as Tom Brady till year six, and they won SBs when he was nowhere near what Allen is right now.

And you can blame Belichick for those bad years in Cleveland but they are just as legitimately blamed on QBs who weren't even capable game managers and poor GMsmanship there.

Brady was the bigger piece of those 6 Lombardis, IMO, but Belichick is partially responsible for turning him into the HOFer he clearly is.

I expect the Pats in the third and fourth year of what is essentially in large part a rebuild to field a consistently competitive, good team, but maybe never win another Lombardi under Belichick, unless Jones improves a lot more than I expect him to.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Agree. Such entitlement, is pathetic. As goes the Boston Globe, so go the 'Fans'.

Yeah it's very misplaced in the NFL.

But Boston is a baseball town and in baseball there is no salary cap and the Red Sox are one of the 3 wealthiest franchises so there is never any good reason for them to have a down season...........so it's easy for them to apply that logic to Belichick as well.

In reality though this is just giving the fans what sells the day after a loss.

Unlikely that the writers actually believe that Belichick hasn't done a good job with that team but that's not what sells papers to irate fans the Monday after a loss.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.