Gabe Davis on covid list

Steptide

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The data from the Bills does not bear this out.

We would have to know the number of unvaccinated players to use that data properly. If Davis and Beasley are the only unvaccinated players on the team (not likely) then the Bills have a 100% unvaccinated covid rate. If you assume Dodson, Klein, Dawkins, Feliciano, and Ford are all vaccinated, that's a 10% vaccinated covid rate. To be more exact we would have to look at the NFL as a whole. But it's logical that unvaccinated players are substantially more likely to miss games since they are tested daily versus infrequently at random. Even if the vaccine offers zero protection against infection of the omicron variant unvaccinated players are still more likely to miss games just because of the protocol.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

As they should ... it's their bodies and I respect their right to personal choice. 

Yeah, but it's not like their choice affects just them. Unvaccinated people are more likely to get the virus, more likely to spread it (potentially killing or damaging many others), and more likely to end up in the hospital, which the rest of us pay for either outright if they can't pay for it, or in higher insurance costs.

How do people miss this point? People boast they're unvaccinated as if they're brave or free thinking, instead of dense, ignorant, reckless and selfish. And people like you (although I'm sure you're not any of these) say they respect them. Really hard to understand. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

We would have to know the number of unvaccinated players to use that data properly. If Davis and Beasley are the only unvaccinated players on the team (not likely) then the Bills have a 100% unvaccinated covid rate. If you assume Dodson, Klein, Dawkins, Feliciano, and Ford are all vaccinated, that's a 10% vaccinated covid rats. To be more exact we would have to look at the NFL as a whole. But it's logical that unvaccinated players are substantially more likely to miss games since they are tested daily versus infrequently at random. Even if the vaccine offers zero protection against infection of the omicron variant unvaccinated players are still more likely too miss games just because of the protocol.

But theoretical risk and realized risk are different right? 

Is this risk realized? I would argue no. Beasley and Gabe will have missed one game. Dawkins has missed, Feliciano has missed etc etc.

10 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

That's the purpose now.

Always was.  Not one time ever has the vaccine been touted to keep you from getting it 100%.  Just like the flu shot doesn’t guarantee you won’t get it.  

If people want to listen to fake biased media or social media to get a different impression, well that’s on them.  

But at no point has it ever been the case that the vaccine makes you immune to COVID.  

• Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, FireChans said:

Is this risk realized? I would argue no. Beasley and Gabe will have missed one game. Dawkins has missed, Feliciano has missed etc etc.

If every player on the Bills was unvaccinated we would likely be without a team over the coming weeks. Since the large majority are vaccinated we are instead without just a few players like most teams are dealing with right now. You can't just count the number of vaccinated players on the covid reserve list and call it a day. There are substantially more vaccinated players than unvaccinated. The risk is the probability of missing games and clearly the unvaccinated have a much greater probability. The two players that I knew for a fact were unvaccinated ended up testing positive for covid. I wish I knew for sure which other players are unvaccinated.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Always was.  Not one time ever has the vaccine been touted to keep you from getting it 100%.  Just like the flu shot doesn’t guarantee you won’t get it.  

If people want to listen to fake biased media or social media to get a different impression, well that’s on them.  

But at no point has it ever been the case that the vaccine makes you immune to COVID.  

No, it was 99% effective in preventing Covid.  Until 6 months later it was largely ineffective.  And that was never the intention.  Lets not pretend this was the plan all along.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Steptide said:

If they didn't do it for the Browns the other night,  they're not gonna do it for anyone else 

But they DID delay the Browns game to try to give their players a chance to return.  That should be considered for our game as well.

1 hour ago, galept said:

As I've said three times now, NFL protocols allow vaccinated players to return more quickly. Some fans seem to somehow ignore the fact that there's a difference.

Not much of a difference when vaxxed players are still missing 1-2 games.  

Cole likely only misses one game.  It’s more about timing. 

It will be very interesting to see how many players refuse to get a “Booster” by the playoffs and revert back to being “unvaccinated”. This can really affect teams chances in the playoffs. I suspect a good percentage of players will opt not to… I really hope the Bills don’t get affected by this and we escape the worst of it. 

It'll be a miracle if we don't get massacred. 

Josh is going to have to have his game of the season to win this now. I hope he just takes off running every time there's nothing open. To hell with staying behind the line of scrimmage, looking for a deep pass and risking a sack, just take off and try and get those first downs.

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Not much of a difference when vaxxed players are still missing 1-2 games.  

There is a difference. Most vaccinated players are not missing games. As far as I can tell most unvaccinated players are missing games. If there's a difference of let's say 30% to 70% (I have to make up numbers because the NFL doesn't put this data out there), you can't point to the 30% and use that as proof that it doesn't matter.

The new protocols actually make the discrepancy between vaccinated and unvaccinated players even higher because now vaccinated players are tested less frequently than they were before.

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

No, it was 99% effective in preventing Covid.  Until 6 months later it was largely ineffective.  And that was never the intention.  Lets not pretend this was the plan all along.

95% in Pfizer’s case but yes.

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If every player on the Bills was unvaccinated we would likely be without a team over the coming weeks. Since the large majority are vaccinated we are instead without just a few players like most teams are dealing with right now. You can't just count the number of vaccinated players on the covid reserve list and call it a day. There are substantially more vaccinated players than unvaccinated. The risk is the probability of missing games and clearly the unvaccinated have a much greater probability. The two players that I knew for a fact were unvaccinated ended up testing positive for covid. I wish I knew for sure which other players are unvaccinated.

So basically all we needed was herd immunity and Cole and Gabe’s decision didn’t really make a difference then

43 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

A few of the local Bills beat reporters sharing it on Twitter.  Matt Bove and Buffalo Rumblings say dawk is out. 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/12/24/22852959/bills-add-two-more-starters-to-covid-19-list-ahead-of-game-vs-patriots

it may soon be moot but the article doesn’t say Dawkins is officially out. 

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Cole and Gabe’s decision didn’t really make a difference then

Of course it made a difference. They had to be tested every single day whether they had symptoms or not. If they had been vaccinated they likely would not have tested positive even if they had contracted the virus.

And by the way a lot of the vaccinated players that ended up on the covid reserve list happened before the change in protocol. Now that they are rarely testing those players their advantage has increased substantially.

Edited by HappyDays

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’m vaccinated and boosted.  I have COVID right now and got it from my friend who is also vaccinated and boosted.

People need to stop thinking the vaccination keeps you from getting it or spreading it, that’s not at all what it does.

Yea it can reduce the odds of getting it and spreading it, but new variants lessen that.  The vaccination purpose is to significantly reduce the chances of getting severe reactions that require hospitalization or death.  It improves recovery time as well and shortens the window in which you are contagious to others.

So the breakout going on in the NFL has nothing to do with unvaccinated players.  Anyone and everyone can, and is, spreading it. 

However, if you are vaccinated the time to return to the field can be shortened versus unvaccinated because your timeline of how long you can be contagious to others is shorter.

Good post, but the purpose of the vaccination is actually all of the above, and more.  For the individual, it reduces the odds of getting covid in the first place, and if the virus still gets a foothold the vaccination significantly reduces the chances of severe reactions including hospitalization or death.  And it improves recovery time and the window when the individual is contagious to others.  Pretty much what you said.

The benefit goes way beyond that, to contributing to protecting the health of countless others and to reducing the rate of spread and the extent of spread of the virus overall.  

As to your statement that the breakout going on in the NFL has nothing to do with unvaxxed players, that's not really clear.  Because delta and omicron are more transmissable, it's possible that some percentage of the new cases (maybe a majority) are from vaxxed players getting and spreading the virus -- but we don't know what that percentage is, since many of the vaxxed players still won't get covid at all, and whether the unvaxxed players are the ones spreading to everyone.  

The right thing to do would be to test everyone, all the players, coaches, and staff, every day.  I think the league is afraid to do that because of what they might find out.  They really might have to cancel games, or even the rest of the season.  That would cost many millions of dollars, of course, so they're doing the ostrich thing and NOT testing everyone every day.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Josh is going to have to have his game of the season to win this now. I hope he just takes off running every time there's nothing open. To hell with staying behind the line of scrimmage, looking for a deep pass and risking a sack, just take off and try and get those first downs.

This game may provide glimpse into what life will be like in a few years when Josh Allen contract kicks in and we can't afford to keep everyone. These are the type of games and situations to show Josh is worth the huge contract down the line which of course I feel like he is

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Of course it made a difference. They had to be tested every single day whether they had symptoms or not. If they had been vaccinated they likely would not have tested positive even if they had contracted the virus.

And by the way a lot of the vaccinated players that ended up on the covid reserve list happened before the change in protocol. Now that they are rarely testing those players their advantage has increased substantially.

They have been tested everyday and not been positive until week 16 when vaccinated and unvaccinated players both have been coming up positive around the league like flies.

So yeah, it didn’t matter dude. People raging in this thread have a personal problem with Beasley and Gabe.

Edited by FireChans

13 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

BB will likely have the DEs set the edge, forcing him up the middle where the likes of Boettger/Morse/Bates/Doyle will have to play better than they have all season. 

35 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That’s weird, because the initial Pfizer study’s primary conclusion was 95% protection against infection.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa2034577

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

11 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They have been tested everyday and not been positive until week 16 when vaccinated and unvaccinated players both have been coming up positive around the league like flies.

So yeah, it didn’t matter dude. People raging in this thread have a personal problem with Beasley and Gabe.

They put themselves before the team.  It appears that nearly every unvaccinated player (except Star) on the Bills roster is unavailable this week for the most likely division deciding game.  It’s clearly a massive disadvantage to have players that are unvaccinated on your roster.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes.  And 95% isn’t 100%

And the follow up period in that study was not 6 months.

Just now, Weatherman said:

They put themselves before the team.  It appears that nearly every unvaccinated player (except Star) on the Bills roster is unavailable this week for the most likely division deciding game.  It’s clearly a massive disadvantage to have players that are unvaccinated on your roster.  

What about the Saints? Or the WFT? Or Cleveland?

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

And the follow up period in that study was not 6 months.

What about the Saints? Or the WFT? Or Cleveland?

The point is the vaccines, especially the mRNA ones, worked very well against the initial and delta strains.  Not as much against omicron it would appear.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

@Alphadawg7, one of you had to come across an unvaccinated person somewhere. Variants are possible due to unvaccinated people. This virus could've been eradicated if people would've masked up, social distanced and got vaccinated. Period!! 

So variants are possible due to unvaccinated people, huh? Any data to support that claim?

• Eyeroll 1

42 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I guess you missed the part about new variants