Odell Beckham and more Rams placed on Covid-19 list Tuesday; Rams go to "Enhanced Protocols"

Hapless Bills Fan

https://www.nfl.com/news/odell-beckham-tests-positive-for-covid-19-rams-entering-enhanced-protocols

Beckham, along with defensive back Terrell Burgess, tight end Brycen Hopkins, defensive back JuJu Hughes, offensive tackle Alaric Jackson, nose tackle Sebastian Joseph-Day, defensive end Jonah Williams, defensive back Jordan Fuller and defensive back Tyler Hall were placed on the Rams' reserve/COVID-19 list Tuesday.

Tight end Tyler Higbee was activated off the list.

McVay called the situation "uniquely challenging," according to Jordan Rodrigue of The Athletic.

McVay said all players who have been designated for the reserve/COVID-19 list have been vaccinated. Other current Rams on the list include running back Darrell Henderson, offensive tackle Rob Havenstein and cornerback Donte' Deayon.

"There's going to be more people that are affected by this," McVay said, per Greg Beacham of The Associated Press.

McVay's comments came before news broke of Beckham's positive test.

Browns are also in "Enhanced Protocols":

Also especially hard-hit by the virus are the Cleveland Browns, who announced Tuesday that the club has entered enhanced protocols and designated eight players to the reserve/COVID-19 list. All eight -- wide receivers Jarvis Landry and JoJo Natson, tight ends Austin Hooper and Ross Travis, offensive tackle Jedrick Wills, guards Wyatt Teller and Drew Forbes and defensive end Takkarist McKinley -- tested positive, per NFL Network's Tom Pelissero. Three other Browns missed Sunday's win over the Ravens due to their placement on the COVID-19 list.

Bills better batten down the Hatches on Covid protocols and try to get ahead of it.   Whether or not one agrees with the Rules, the NFL's Rules are if you test positive, you're not playing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Can this happen to Tennessee, New England, Kansas City... basically any AFC team not named Buffalo, Jacksonville, or the Jets.

It can happen to any and all and probably will. 

Like I said, Buffalo would be wise to Batten Down the Hatches right now, because the NFL rules are "test positive = Out". 

Not sure the players/coaches have the will to request that of each other though.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Like I said, Buffalo would be wise to Batten Down the Hatches right now, because the NFL rules are "test positive = Out". 

Not sure the players/coaches have the will to request that of each other though.

What does "batten down the hatches" mean? If fully vaccinated players are having it spread this widely is there any reason to think it can be prevented? This seems like the NFL has set itself up for a disaster heading into playoff time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MRW said:

What does "batten down the hatches" mean? If fully vaccinated players are having it spread this widely is there any reason to think it can be prevented? This seems like the NFL has set itself up for a disaster heading into playoff time.

To me it means "enhanced protocols" in the facility to prevent inside facility spread, and ask players to resume last year's protocols outside

Yes, I think it can be prevented by doing this, it's just an airborne contagious disease.   But players would have to take it seriously - no "chin diapers" and "mouth muzzles"

As far as the "disaster heading into playoff time", you're probably not wrong because I don't see teams and players being proactive on this.  They will wait until one by one the hosses have left the barn (like the Browns and the Rams)

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, MRW said:

is there any reason to think it can be prevented?

Maybe if they knew how it was spread (into face holes) then they could invent some ultrafine mesh filter to cover those holes and prevent it from entering, while still allowing players to breathe. Then coaches could enforce the wearing of such a device to prevent the spread?

Edited by Best Williams Available

22 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The NFL is going to have to eventually pivot to be allow players to play with Covid if they don't have symptoms as this becomes more of an endemic.  Maybe within a year or two.

That's "up to" the NFLPA.  They need to thrash out with their membership, what do they really want.

1 hour ago, Process said:

Too funny.  When did he say that?

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To me it means "enhanced protocols" in the facility to prevent inside facility spread, and ask players to resume last year's protocols outside

Yes, I think it can be prevented by doing this, it's just a contagious disease

As far as the "disaster heading into playoff time", you're probably not wrong because I don't see teams and players being proactive on this.  They will wait until one by one the hosses have left the barn (like the Browns and the Rams)

Doesn't that mean for Titans to practice outside of facility?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

Josh Allen better be wearing an N95 over every hole in his head. He goes out we’re toast.

Well, he went out last night, donuts and a show with some friends. ... I think on Twitter it was reported he had a N95 mask on his big toe and he had no limp, so it must be working?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, FLFan said:

There is certainly no reason to assume he is any more intelligent now than last season.  Yes, funnier now.

But according to the Monday night football announcers he is one of the most intelligent players ever. He even knew the rules of running out of bounds backwards to keep the clock running 🙄 

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Clearly they don't.  I'm amazed that, at this point, these guys can't keep themselves COVID-free. They shouldn't get paid for games missed for this.  That will help them alter their behavior I bet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 3

The rules need to be changed it's getting absurd now. I thought the vaccines were to prevent serious symptoms and death. If you test positive, are asymptomatic, and then have a couple negative tests like Higbee that should be good . I mean it's not like these guys are overloading the health care system. Change the rules

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is just another way the league prearranges outcomes. Obviously, it doesn't work this way every time, but it can help. Every rule, both on and off the field is there for this reason. If you believe for even a second that the players' health is the #1 concern, you're either drunk or oblivious.

They haven't had a case that was transmitted during the game so I think at this point if the player is asymptomatic they should have the choice to play especially if they're vaxxed. All these rams players likely had it Monday night so if the Cards are fine the next few days I think they should consider that

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/odell-beckham-tests-positive-for-covid-19-rams-entering-enhanced-protocols

Browns are also in "Enhanced Protocols":

Bills better batten down the Hatches on Covid protocols and try to get ahead of it.   Whether or not one agrees with the Rules, the NFL's Rules are if you test positive, you're not playing.

I hope Cooper Kupp is OK!!!:cry:

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

This is what I meant when I said upthread "batten down the hatches for Covid"

For now, it would make sense to revert fully and completely to the protocols of 2020, with daily testing and extensive use of masks and other personal protective equipment. While the vaccinated players may resent the termination of their preferred status, too bad. To keep the season from imploding, the league needs to go back to the way things used to be.

With the postseason looming, the league also needs to consider the possibility of putting the playoff teams in a bubble. Many players won’t like it. Those who are committed to advancing their legacies by winning a championship will deal with it.

Absent a bubble, those teams with strong player leadership (like the Buccaneers) will do whatever they can to minimize their positive cases. For all teams, avoiding an untimely COVID case could be the difference between going home early, getting to the Super Bowl, and ultimately being fitted for a big-ass ring in 2022.

I've seen it suggested "Oh well, drop the protocols, who cares?"  Keep in mind the players are young and fit but even there, some are apparently fine (Brown, Boettger) and others struggling (Dawkins, Lotulelei).  Then there are the coaches, who mostly are....Not young and fit. 

For right now, the NFLPA went into the season with the position that they care about preventing Covid and its spread among players, and the coaches and staff signed on to the season with the idea the NFL cared about preventing Covid. 

That isn't going to be changed mid-season, and frankly, to change the rules mid-season would be horribly unfair to guys like Ron Rivera (immunocompromised, Cancer) and Bruce Arians (3 time cancer survivor).

• Vomit 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.