If you could ask McDermott a few questions...

Bermuda Triangle

say you're at a bar somewhere outside of WNY, and McDermott sits next to you.  You start chatting, and he says "ask me whatever you want about the Bills'.  What do you ask him?

Some of my questions would be:

- Why is the team so poor in close games?

- last year, you were aggressive on 4th downs, and this year, you've taken a step back.  Why?

- Regarding the above, is it faith in your defense?  Do you honestly trust them to make a stop in a "must stop" situation?

- what are your thoughts on NFL officiating?

- Your thoughts on the play of the OL & DL this season?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Bermuda Triangle said:

say you're at a bar somewhere outside of WNY, and McDermott sits next to you.  You start chatting, and he says "ask me whatever you want about the Bills'.  What do you ask him?

- last year, you were aggressive on 4th downs, and this year, you've taken a step back.  Why?

- Regarding the above, is it faith in your defense?  Do you honestly trust them to make a stop in a "must stop" situation?

after your first question, you probably would be flat on your back and missing your front teeth. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Are you aware that there is statistically driven data that you can use to your advantage to increase your win probability in a given game?

And that "emotion" should have nothing to do with your in-game decision making process?

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

None of these would be my questions. Mine would be:

- Why do you coach with fear?

- Do you think about what could have been if you went for 4th down and goal multiples times this season?

- Did the loss against the Titans game affect your future decisions?

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Process said:

- When are you firing Daboll?

- Last year after KC, you said if you could do it again you wouldn't settle for FGs. Why did you lie?

- Do you plan to ever stop using the heavy D line rotation that is killing this team?

The d line rotation is horrible how many times does a lineman make a great play then come out 

I would ask him why, with a $258M QB, we haven’t put more resources around him in the form of top talent on OL and in draft picks.

1 first round draft pick on offense (2 if you count Diggs)

4 in his tenure drafted on defense,  3 more (Hughes, Lotulelei, Butler) on the team

If he drinks, after about half a bottle of good Irish whiskey I would ask if he and Daboll are really on the same page

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would ask him why, with a $258M QB, we haven’t put more resources around him in the form of top talent on OL and in draft picks.

4 in his tenure drafted on defense,  3 more (Hughes, Lotulelei, Butler) on the team

If he drinks, after about half a bottle of good Irish whiskey I would ask if he and Daboll are really on the same page

This is great.

"Are you hungry? Can I treat you to a piece of humble pie?"

"Also, I thought that William & Mary was widely regarded as 'the ninth Ivy League' school. So why are you and your old teammate, Mike Tomlin, consistently two of the worst in-game managers in the NFL? More pie? Just keep stacking them...it's on me...no need to thank me by clapping. And please don't punt these questions. I'm sure that's what your gut is telling you..."

11 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

McDermotts Answers (now you dont have to wonder!):

Question 1. "With all due respect to your question pal there are a lot of things that go into that. Each game is its own thing and we just try to put the players in the best position to be successful."

Question 2. "Each game is different and I try to make the best decision i can each week to put this team in the best position to win. This is the NFL and look its hard to win in this league so we dont always get the result wed like but I am proud of the way these men battle."

Question 3. "I have a lot of confidence in our guys, players and coaches, to make the right calls when the game is on the line. Its something we practice all the time."

Question 4. "With all due respect to your question and I understand where you are going with that I really do, we got to focus on controlling the things we can control."

Question 5. "Like I said earlier I have a lot of confidence in our guys. Everyone has a couple of plays they'd like to have back, we all do including the coaches but to answer your question pal I have a lot of confidence in this team moving forward."

Edited by BillsFan692
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

McDermotts Answers (now you dont have to wonder!):

Question 1. "With all due respect to your question pal there are a lot of things that go into that. Each game is its own thing and we just try to put the players in the best position to be successful."

Question 2. "Each game is different and I try to make the best decision i can each week to put this team in the best position to win. This is the NFL and look its hard to win in this league so we dont always get the result wed like." 

Question 3. I have a lot of confidence in our guys, players and coaches, to make the right calls when the game is on the line. Its something we practice all the time.

Question 4. With all due respect to your question and I understand where you are going with that I really do, we got to focus on controlling the things we can control.

Question 5. Like I said earlier I have a lot of confidence in our guys. Everyone has a couple of plays they'd like to have back, we all do including the coaches but I have a lot of confidence in this team moving forward.

Sounds about right. 

I’d really like the opportunity to ask the players, mostly Allen, Diggs, Hyde, what they really think of this coaching staff. 

To me, the team looks like they see what we see and don’t want to do it anymore.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

the OL is different this year be last.   There were many times last year Josh would stand in the pocket like a statue with feet on the ground waiting for a guy to come open.  This year there is just more pressure.  Largely the same guys so I am somewhat surprised by that.   I mean not anymore I have gotten used to it this year but I thought the OL would be better.   I think they have put resources around Josh but maybe not the right ones.  Dawkins Williams Feliciano and Morse are not cheap they are taking up valuable resources.   

To address the question in this thread. I would ask him some personal questions and not interrogate him like I (some random fan who is not a trained pro in anything football) know more than him.   I would be interested in some behind the scenes work they do about preparing and game day mechanics out of interest and not from a critical point of view.  

assuming i'd get forthright answers, i'd ask "how well does your staff scout yourself?"

i'd ask that because we are just horribly predictable at the worst times.

in the past two games, both against great teams with great coaches, we made 4th down mistakes that we gave the key away too.

last week, our final drive we march up the field w sanders on for every play, and the last play we sub in davis.  D keys on this, defender on bease peels off, looking the whole way to play zone out of man to help, and the pass fails.

this week, we go for a fake punt.  the thing is, breida, our fastest player on O!!, gets subbed into the punt team.  tb had seen us punt all day, and had seen our tape of punting.  they know that's not what breida normally does, so they key on him.  then we get a zero disguise run into a wall, and lose posession.

this has been a common theme.  remember when the pats blocked our punt, which ended up being the difference in the game in 2019?  they noticed if they overloaded the punt rush team on one side, we simply didn't adjust.  they saw that on film, tested it lining up that way, and then pulled the trigger.

i honestly think our coaches like over study and over prepare and stress out about everything, but simply are not capable of identifying what the low hanging fruit is to make the team better.

we are too clever by half, trying to press for a slightly better lane for our gunners, or thinking we will have a monster return game on special teams, or on O dabol still thinks "if i call a play that surely won't work, the d will never expect it!"

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Why aren’t you using guys like Kumerow down in the Red Zone? He’s one of your few BIG offensive players. 

Good one!  I would ask why you had Brieda in on the fake punt when he was not on any of the previous punt attempts?   Think that might have tipped off the other team?

Assuming this is a private conversation that I was getting honest answers I would ask 

1) What are your thoughts on unvaccinated players? Specifically Lotulelei and Beasley

2) If you were the GM for a different team, would you rather hire Daboll or Frazier as your Head Coach (or neither)?

3)  Do the Bills have a process to involve stat guys with in game decisions such as coach challenges, 4th downs, and 2 pt conversions? What is that process and how much input do these guys have? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.