Will Tre's loss galvanize this team?

Success

This season has been a weird one, and there has been something off in most games that most of us haven't been able to put our fingers on.  A Jags defender noted it in that game - the team hasn't seemed as hungry, and at times has even looked disinterested.

Today is an earthquake.  I've gotta believe that every player on that team is thinking, "how do we overcome this?  What more can I do to offset this?"

It HAS happened that teams lose great players, and then go on incredible runs.  This has happened in all sports, and it isn't that rare.

We still have one of the best safety tandems in the league, and decent DB's overall.  It won't be night & day in terms of pass coverage. The Bills can overcome this, and maybe they can use it for the extra motivation it seems like they've needed since September.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, mattynh said:

I bet not one player is thinking “ how do we overcome this”. That is what fans think

I would tend to agree with this.  The perception of fans trying to figure out the mentality of NFL players is often pure projection.  To be successful in the NFL - or the be an NFL player period - you need to have the utmost confidence in yourself.  That doesn’t mean things always work out, but I wouldn’t be too shocked to hear that players are taking this news worse that the locker room  

I'm probably not answering the question.. but I have no doubt that this team is resilient enough to overcome this injury.  My concern is the next injury. 

Our lack of depth in CB's may finally comeback to haunt Beane.   The NFL is such a game of matchups.. and with upper echelon teams, they will exploit that matchup Just need to look at the Colts game to see that....  I hate to oversimplify it.. but with Star and Edmonds out.. .they took that matchup and exploited it all day.. that's all it takes in this league to make a number 1 defense.. look like the 32nd defense....    And yes... I do believe that if Star and Edmonds were in the game against the Colts... the results would have been much different... 

Anyhow..  I think this team is resilient and will play for Tre... but I don't know if they have it in them to overcome multiple injuries to CB's when the backend is such an important part of their scheme 

• Thank you (+1) 1

sigh...really hurts..Tre is such as pro and fan favorite...get well soon buddy we goin to miss ya...but next man up...Dane Jackson does have over 300+ plays under his belt in 1.5 years experience including 2 starts, plus will get plenty of first team reps come practice next week...plenty of film work and coaching in store...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I’m not sure, hopefully. 

I do agree that somethings just been off this year. I remember having more confidence last year in us driving down the field in big moments throughout the game.

Body language with the team too has been different at times, like in the Steelers and Jags games. Maybe I’m remembering wrong but even in our losses I don’t really remember seeing that stuff last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Beast said:

Sure, it could but will it? No fan can answer that question right now. Only the Bills can.  It will be interesting to see if the Bills can reach down deep. If they have the heart of a Champion.

True. I feel like they can be a resilient team and get past this - but we won't know for a few weeks.    The hope is always that we can look back and say something like, that was terrible at the time, but the team really came together & made it work.

I can't help but think about a bad memory - how it must have felt for Giants fans when they lost Phil Simms before the '90 SB.  And there are many other examples in sports history. This year alone, many wrote the Ravens off after their early-season injuries.

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Bills92 said:

I'm probably not answering the question.. but I have no doubt that this team is resilient enough to overcome this injury.  My concern is the next injury. 

Our lack of depth in CB's may finally comeback to haunt Beane.   The NFL is such a game of matchups.. and with upper echelon teams, they will exploit that matchup Just need to look at the Colts game to see that....  I hate to oversimplify it.. but with Star and Edmonds out.. .they took that matchup and exploited it all day.. that's all it takes in this league to make a number 1 defense.. look like the 32nd defense....    And yes... I do believe that if Star and Edmonds were in the game against the Colts... the results would have been much different... 

Anyhow..  I think this team is resilient and will play for Tre... but I don't know if they have it in them to overcome multiple injuries to CB's when the backend is such an important part of their scheme 

To bad Wildgoose got picked up by the Jets.

• Like (+1) 1

Sean showed some coaching chops by getting the team fired up and disciplined for the game. The offense was better with a run/ pass threat, and penalties were minimal. The loss of Tre will test Sean and Frazier and their creative schemes to protect Dane Jackson from wrecking games. Taron Johnson is as valuable as any player on defense. If he can cover better receivers and we can go 4/3 with Klein against run and TE heavy offenses like NE, we might survive this loss. Otherwise we will have to win shootouts. 

I think NFL players are mostly trying to go out and do their jobs every day.  On a personal level this group is definitely going to have an emotional response to their friend missing the rest of the season and being upset but if anyone is thinking "Man we are cooked without Tre and can't win unless we all band together" I'd be shocked. 

Half the team probably couldn't tell you we're the 3-seed in the AFC right now.  They're involved in the nitty gritty of this week's prep.  If anything the DB group is going to be having meetings about what needs to happen now but that's about it.

1 hour ago, mattynh said:

I bet not one player is thinking “ how do we overcome this”. That is what fans think

Absolutely! 

Only fans love to come up with these emotion/psychology driven story lines.

Here's what I think:  Tre out for the year will be an enormous hole that will hurt us far more than it helps us via "the team becoming galvanized in  his absence" or whatever nonsense the OP is suggesting.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Sure, it could but will it? No fan can answer that question right now. Only the Bills can.  It will be interesting to see if the Bills can reach down deep. If they have the heart of a Champion.

None of this type of stuff has anything to do with reality.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Absolutely! 

Here's what I think:  Tre out for the year will be an enormous hole that will hurt us far more than it helps us via "the team becoming galvanized in  his absence" or whatever nonsense the OP is suggesting.

With the exception that there have been examples of it having to do with reality over the years.

So, babble on.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Absolutely! 

It's not nonsense or fantasy to suggest that this kind of thing COULD be a rallying event.

In fact, it's frequent sports history.

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.