Tougher Roster or build a dome?

Hebert19

So this week might be a catalyst to see what we do next as am organization.  

We have a soft team...I think everyone agrees there and it showed yesterday. Soft as in undersized, and just not cut out for hard nosed football...so with this roster are we better in a dome?  

Good news is we get to see in 3 days.  What if we go out and look like our old selves Thursday and throw it all over the field.  1 game after getting embarrassed and playing sloppy in the elements...

So my question is like the chicken or egg debate.  Do we:

1.  Continue to build the greatest show on turf roster that is more speed focused than power...and cave on building a dome?

2.   Gut the roster and bring in some big bodies that can bully people come December and Jan in the elements of western New York.  

I honestly think this needs to be talked about when considering a new stadium.  What is the personality that we want to build and that is the stadium direction.  As of now...our roster is more dome and less western New York.  

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

I am in favor of a dome. Most of us got to watch the Bills/Colts snow game. Great one to end on. I am sick of watching games with bad wind, rain, etc.

That being said dome, with some tweeks to the OL to make it a better unit (not necessarily "stronger") and a "big" DT that does the job of Star, that is as good or better then him.

For example, when the Bills drafted Edmunds I saw a guy with speed and size and potential and envisioned him playing a couple years after his draft season with a few off seasons of workouts and conditioning to add a lot of muscle mass and strength turning him into a dominant force as a 'superhuman' unstoppable monster MLB.  But that hasn't happened. 

And when I see other teams play, like the Ravens and Steelers, their offensive and defensive lineman and linebackers just look a lot bigger and stronger than the Bills.  Are these other teams hitting the weight room and the lunch line harder than the Bills are here to add size, strength, and weight?  You look at this year's first 4 picks for example and you can't say any of these guys are small.  So what's going on?    

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Agree 1

Just now, All_Pro_Bills said:

For example, when the Bills drafted Edmunds I saw a guy with speed and size and potential and envisioned him playing a couple years after his draft season with a few off seasons of workouts and conditioning to add a lot of muscle mass and strength turning him into a dominant force as a 'superhuman' force unstoppable monster MLB.  But that hasn't happened. 

And when I see other teams play, like the Ravens and Steelers, their offensive and defensive lineman and linebackers just look a lot bigger and stronger than the Bills.  Are these other teams hitting the weight room and the lunch line harder than the Bills are here to add size, strength, and weight?  You look at this year's first 4 picks for example and you can't say any of these guys are small.  So what's going on?    

Organizational philosophy.  We draft guys and tell them to lose 25 pounds.  Pass and stop the pass is the organizational mantra.  

37 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

The Lions play in a dome.  Hasn't worked out particularly well for them over the years.  And....the weather didnt seem to bother the Colts who are a dome team.  When people start blaming the weather (as several did yesterday) for mediocre play, there is work that needs to be done.  I dont know the answer but I doubt a dome helps us any.

Edited by jaybee
clarification
  • Like (+1) 1

nah, just give me Feliciano, Brown and Star back and then see what they can do.   Those guys are key players on this team and they are all out.   

Shame on these 20-somethings for not vaxxing.   It's a high, close contact environment; they are letting the entire organization down.  

So a handful of fans want the design of a stadium with a lifespan of ~40 years (that won't even be built for another 4-5 years) to be based around the 2021 roster? It's so ridiculous and myopic that it's hard to take seriously.

No stadium design on earth would have stopped the Colt's OL from trampling our defense. 

20 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I was jealous watching Herbert in LA last night in perfect weather conditions drop these dimes all night. 

i actually think Josh is great in bad weather— but how many drops did our receivers have yesterday? And the McKenzie fumble….

Josh is fine in bad weather but we can't run the ball and receivers drop the ball...so we get one dimensional in bad weather which is a recipe for disaster. 

I think the real question is can JA play in loud packed stadiums? We know 2020 Josh was near MVP level with no fans and near silence. Also Wyoming Cowboys Josh played in mostly 20-30k fans in the mountain west conf. To me it seems like his game changes on the road against good teams in loud places! I still like our QB it's just noticeable of his struggles

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

A dome can’t protect a team from lack of physicality. And a dome team was the one that had their way yesterday. This is a roster issue, not a stadium one… see Gillette stadium 

Not entirely....yes, the Colts are a stadium team but it was built to be a run first Offense and we know that a run first Offense does much better than a passing, finesse type Offense like the Bills currently deploy.

I said this on Twitter yesterday, both the lack of physicality AND the weather having an impact on their Offense can be true. The Bills' lines on both Offense and Defese were obviously man-handled and that should be a focal point next Off-season but to say the weather didn't impact an Offense that is pass heavy and pass often, would also be myopic IMHO. The two co-exist and it became compounded with the weather.

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I was jealous watching Herbert in LA last night in perfect weather conditions drop these dimes all night. 

i actually think Josh is great in bad weather— but how many drops did our receivers have yesterday? And the McKenzie fumble….

or Ford taking a bad penalty etc. As bad as the final score was we had a chance to win that game. I'm upset at the offense more than the defense all things considered. McKenzie fumble was the back breaker if ask me. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

or Ford taking a bad penalty etc. As bad as the final score was we had a chance to win that game. I'm upset at the offense more than the defense all things considered. McKenzie fumble was the back breaker if ask me. 

If McKenzie doesn’t fumble, I suspect we get at least a FG before the half, and then could potentially double dip after halftime. 

We need both. This team is as soft as any I've seen in several years. The trenches are light. Our OL/DL get pushed around by more physical teams. And 3 of our 4 loses reflect that. I'd argue the weather (wind, rain etc) is much more consistent in Buffalo than in Wyo. We've already seen Josh struggle multiple times in these conditions. I'm looking for advantages. I think a dome would enhance Josh's skills. And a physical team can easily run onto a field with a roof. Do both, change the finesse culture and give Josh that edge. Or enjoy your constant wind games and watch JA struggle.  The choice is yours.

13 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

We were down 17-7 having had the ball twice... with 2 minutes in the half.  It was a 2 score game, and we got the ball at half.  That fumble made it a 3 score game, and then we took our time getting down there and settled for the long FG.  

18 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

If McKenzie doesn’t fumble, I suspect we get at least a FG before the half, and then could potentially double dip after halftime. 

That was just... such a game killer.  Any momentum from a stop is lost.  3 score game.  Everyones pressing on both sides of the ball now.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Revamping our OL needs to be priority #1 this offseason imo.  

that was my #1 priority this offseason too…. Yet we basically have the same OL as last year +1. 

We did absolutely nothing to improve the OL other than accidentally stumbling on Spencer Brown. Ford & Boettger are worthless. Dawkins looks covid slow and when Williams leaves the RG position he is a mess. Apparently Bates is Yeldon. As you say NewEra it needs to be priority 1,2 & 3.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sugar High JA17 said:

I think the real question is can JA play in loud packed stadiums? We know 2020 Josh was near MVP level with no fans and near silence. Also Wyoming Cowboys Josh played in mostly 20-30k fans in the mountain west conf. To me it seems like his game changes on the road against good teams in loud places! I still like our QB it's just noticeable of his struggles

A stunned silent home crowd didn’t seem to elevate his play. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol....yes. YES!!

The Bills are such a uniquely crafted group that they alone (unlike GB, NYG, Chicago, NE, KC) will only reach the SB if they play their home games in a domed stadium.

If not domed....then DOOOOOMED!!!

This dome stuff is out of control!!

It as if people believe they accidentally built a dome team and now need to deal with it. 

The two teams on display yesterday could have played in a perfectly controlled indoor stadium on a perfect day in San Diego and the outcome would’ve been the same. 

They got knocked on there sorry tails. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

Just put a giant tent over the existing stadium.

Solves a lot of problems.

1.  It fixes the problem with the team.

2. Solves the stadium dilemma - adds roof, preserves existing stadium by keeping it out of the elements, it's cost effective and keeps fans out of the weather.

3. Makes Buffalo the hottest free agency destination, because everyone wants to play at "The Tent at Highmark", the world's loudest tent.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.