Tougher Roster or build a dome?

Hebert19

8 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Seriously?? By the time the stadium is built, there realistically might only be 4-5 guys still on the roster.  5 years is an eternity in the NFL.  

The one exception to that is QB's and Allen.  He could easily last 10 plus years.  Throwing QB's seem to making a comeback league wide so even after he's gone, could get another similar styled QB.  So a dome isn't such a bad idea IMO.  Actually was thinking a similar thing  yesterday during the game. 

• 1 month later...

Parking this here as well as other threads. 

Josh allen qbr. 

Home rating - 85.8

Away rating - 99.4

Home rating - 103

Away rating- 110.5

Home rating - 76.9

Away rating - 92.6

I'm on dome bandwagon

Edited by Hebert19
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Josh allen qbr. 

Home qbr - 85.8

Away qbr - 99.4

Home qbr - 103

Away qbr - 110.5

Home qbr - 76.9

Away qbr - 92.6

I'm on dome bandwagon

The most predictive stat of team success in the NFL is team passer rating differential. What's the differential in the Bills home games during Allen's time here between the Bills and their opponents? That is truly all that matters. https://www.si.com/more-sports/2011/06/23/most-importantstatpasserratingdifferential 

Edited by dave mcbride

6 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Josh allen qbr. 

Home rating - 85.8

Away rating - 99.4

Home rating - 103

Away rating- 110.5

Home rating - 76.9

Away rating - 92.6

I'm on dome bandwagon

If you want to get on the dome wagon,  you don’t compare Josh Allen’s performance in home vs. away games. You compare it in dome vs. non-dome games. 

For example, Miami doesn’t have a dome, and Josh routinely obliterates the Dolphins in that city. He also had fairly sublime games in Foxboro, Kansas City, and Tampa Bay. 

I’m not saying he wouldn’t play well in the dome…just that the data you cited don’t prove your point. 

Just now, WickedGame said:

If you want to get on the dome wagon,  you don’t compare Josh Allen’s performance in home vs. away games. You compare it in dome vs. non-dome games. 

For example, Miami doesn’t have a dome, and Josh routinely obliterates the Dolphins in that city. He also had fairly sublime games in Foxboro, Kansas City, and Tampa Bay. 

I’m not saying he wouldn’t play well in the dome…just that the data you cited don’t prove your point. 

Elements vs not.  Last 2 year in particular the home games weather has been *****. 

Bills fans looking for a "tough" team---go watch the UFC.

I'll be here watching the Bills play competitively in NFL playoff games with their "soft" team...

...that can actually THROW THE F-ING BALL for the first time 30 years....and used that ability to get to the AFC Championship game last year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Nextmanup said:

Bills fans looking for a "tough" team---go watch the UFC.

I'll be here watching the Bills play competitively in NFL playoff games with their "soft" team...

...that can actually THROW THE F-ING BALL for the first time 30 years....and used that ability to get to the AFC Championship game last year.

I don't want a tough team.  I want the team to match the stadium.  If we want to throw 40+ times we need a dome.  If we want to be like indy or ravens then the colder and windier the better. 

On 11/22/2021 at 6:55 AM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I was jealous watching Herbert in LA last night in perfect weather conditions drop these dimes all night. 

i actually think Josh is great in bad weather— but how many drops did our receivers have yesterday? And the McKenzie fumble….

Nobody is good in bad weather. Especially elite qbs. The only advantage is if we had a mauler OL and D. Henry. I don't want to hear a peep when Josh struggles in the wind etc. Sometimes you get what you ask for.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Josh allen qbr. 

Home qbr - 85.8

Away qbr - 99.4

Home qbr - 103

Away qbr - 110.5

Home qbr - 76.9

Away qbr - 92.6

I'm on dome bandwagon

Just did the math for 2021: the rating for opposing QBs in Buffalo in 2021 through 8 games is 60.9. The Bills have a massive positive rating differential of over 20 (you have to factor in sack yardage lost into team passer rating, so it'll be a little less than 85.8 for the Bills). Anyway, the differential is over 20. That is huge. With regard to Buffalo weather, what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander: opponents have to play in it too. In 2020 and 2021, when Allen's rating became a thing, they will be 15-4 at home including the playoffs assuming they beat the Jets.  

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Hebert19 said:

Elements vs not.  Last 2 year in particular the home games weather has been *****. 

I don’t think the evidence bears that out. Recency bias…the memory of the New England game and a less-than-stellar passing game one day ago…are at play here. 

In reality, Buffalo weather hasn’t been that brutal in recent years. Not to mention 75% of our home games are typically played before we even get to November. And if I recall, we played some playoff football in January last year without any weather-related problems. 

Does it snow in Buffalo? Sure. Is it cold and windy? Sure. But that’s true in Green Bay, KC, New England, and Cincy, too. Those cities have had productive QBs lately, if I recall.

Meanwhile, dome teams like the Lions, Saints, Falcons, and Texans are as abysmal as ever. 

We can survive the weather. You don’t build a multi-billion dollar stadium just because the current guy looks amazing in a dome, no more than I’d build a million dollar sunroom in my house because my wife looks hot in a bikini. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Nobody is good in bad weather. Especially elite qbs. The only advantage is if we had a mauler OL and D. Henry. I don't want to hear a peep when Josh struggles in the wind etc. Sometimes you get what you ask for.

The Bills' passing game is better in Buffalo weather than our opponents' passing game is. That's what matters.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/22/2021 at 9:26 AM, Hebert19 said:

So this week might be a catalyst to see what we do next as am organization.  

We have a soft team...I think everyone agrees there and it showed yesterday. Soft as in undersized, and just not cut out for hard nosed football...so with this roster are we better in a dome?  

Good news is we get to see in 3 days.  What if we go out and look like our old selves Thursday and throw it all over the field.  1 game after getting embarrassed and playing sloppy in the elements...

So my question is like the chicken or egg debate.  Do we:

1.  Continue to build the greatest show on turf roster that is more speed focused than power...and cave on building a dome?

2.   Gut the roster and bring in some big bodies that can bully people come December and Jan in the elements of western New York.  

I honestly think this needs to be talked about when considering a new stadium.  What is the personality that we want to build and that is the stadium direction.  As of now...our roster is more dome and less western New York.  

how many more unique ways are we going to bring up this topic over and over again about the dome?

Nothing discussed here not elsewhere.

Smaller stadium will help since there will be smaller surface area and those who do want to watch from outside can watch from home or bar.

9 minutes ago, WickedGame said:

We can survive the weather. You don’t build a multi-billion dollar stadium just because the current guy looks amazing in a dome, no more than I’d build a million dollar sunroom in my house because my wife looks hot in a bikini. 

If you can afford it and your wife looks hot in bikini and sunroom will help keep her looking that way do it.

The issue here is afford and nobody advocating dome has offered to pay for it.

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Nothing discussed here not elsewhere.

Smaller stadium will help since there will be smaller surface area and those who do want to watch from outside can watch from home or bar.

If you can afford it and your wife looks hot in bikini and sunroom will help keep her looking that way do it.

The issue here is afford and nobody advocating dome has offered to pay for it.

Bingo. 

10 minutes ago, Governor said:

Where we screwed up was building a tweener roster around Josh. 

He would flourish with a bigger team and he’ll likely go to one a few years from now.

Very rarely will you see a poster actually use a photo of themself for their avatar photo.

We have a soft team...I think everyone agrees there and it showed yesterday. Soft as in undersized, and just not cut out for hard nosed football...so with this roster are we better in a dome?  

Good news is we get to see in 3 days.  What if we go out and look like our old selves Thursday and throw it all over the field.  1 game after getting embarrassed and playing sloppy in the elements...

1.  Continue to build the greatest show on turf roster that is more speed focused than power...and cave on building a dome?

2.   Gut the roster and bring in some big bodies that can bully people come December and Jan in the elements of western New York.  

I honestly think this needs to be talked about when considering a new stadium.  What is the personality that we want to build and that is the stadium direction.  As of now...our roster is more dome and less western New York.  

Both

A dome in OP seems like the kind of graveyard that is the City of Niagara Falls in a nutshell.  The Turtle?  Wintergarden?  Rainbow Mall?  Why pay for ***** that you don't need?  If the Bills "need" to move to Austin or San Antonio, then let them.  Enough is enough with paying for ***** that doesn't make sense.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

47 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Josh allen qbr. 

Home rating - 85.8

Away rating - 99.4

Home rating - 103

Away rating- 110.5

Home rating - 76.9

Away rating - 92.6

I'm on dome bandwagon

The only reasonable option after seeing this is to offer all home games to the opposing team.   They will all take it.   Home games are the problem.  Let’s eliminate the problem 

7 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

A dome in OP seems like the kind of graveyard that is the City of Niagara Falls in a nutshell.  The Turtle?  Wintergarden?  Rainbow Mall?  Why pay for ***** that you don't need?  If the Bills "need" to move to Austin or San Antonio, then let them.  Enough is enough with paying for ***** that doesn't make sense.

I liked the Turtle in Niagara Falls.  I (and others) just did not use it enough to make it pay.

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

First off, my dome brothers, I have really enjoyed complaining about this all year with all of you. 

Second, all I can remember is Josh playing two games in perfect weather conditions in Arizona last year, and throwing absolute lasers. How can you not want that every week? Behold:

Lol yeah.  We lost.  Oh well.  The vision of playing in ideal conditions where each team can play to their fullest potential has faded and gone from my wish list.  Now I just have to hope that Mother Nature is good to us and that Beane can build a better run game and we can improve our run D

22 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Just did the math for 2021: the rating for opposing QBs in Buffalo in 2021 through 8 games is 60.9. The Bills have a massive positive rating differential of over 20 (you have to factor in sack yardage lost into team passer rating, so it'll be a little less than 85.8 for the Bills). Anyway, the differential is over 20. That is huge. With regard to Buffalo weather, what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander: opponents have to play in it too. In 2020 and 2021, when Allen's rating became a thing, they will be 15-4 at home including the playoffs assuming they beat the Jets.  

Yep and maybe free agency will be rescinded and players won't be allowed to make business decisions about not playing their home games in a negative individual performance environment.   

More realistically...........over the course of the life of the new stadium..........players will have considerably more influence over where they play.

And while they might not otherwise choose against living in a city for 6-7 months if the QB/HC and money is right.........superstars aren't likely to choose to run their races on a muddy track. (and I'm told that Terry Pegula fancies a heated natural grass field........so that could become quite literal :lol:).

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Everyones arguing whether to build a dome or not if it's an advantage to our team, and I'm all build a dome so 70 thousand fans can enjoy then game and not freeze their balls off

Get more female fans who do not have balls.

And a big shame that stadium will be much smaller than 70K.

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Lol yeah.  We lost.  Oh well.  The vision of playing in ideal conditions where each team can play to their fullest potential has faded and gone from my wish list.  Now I just have to hope that Mother Nature is good to us and that Beane can build a better run game and we can improve our run D

If the 50 MPH wind game didn’t convince the Bills to build a roof, then nothing will. 

But I hear you. Just time to pray for good weather conditions every Sunday from now on out.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

If the 50 MPH wind game didn’t convince the Bills to build a roof, then nothing will. 

But I hear you. Just time to pray for good weather conditions every Sunday from now on out.

Yup.  Luckily our QB is a monster and if we can build him a wall that can run block as well as pass block, we’ll be fine.

If Josh Allen's foot doesn't slip on his QB sneak on 4th down in Nashville, we almost certainly win that game.

If we win that game, RIGHT NOW we are the NO. 1 Seed in the AFC.

And you guys wan to tear down the entire roster so we can be "tougher" or build a dome?!

Wouldn't it be easier to buy Josh a new pair of cleats?  

Thank God fans have zero say in what gets done.

Townie buffalonians want to build a year 2040 stadium to match one in 1972. 

Terry, wants to HEAT the grass too!!
= mud in Oct/Nov.

= half froze slop Dec 

= spray paint it green Jan for TV

Recent Govt subsidized Yankees $1.7B, $14B LaGuardia, $15B JFK. 

....cover it or we lose good players. 

I mean, people kind of forget that even if we have a dome, we might have to go to NE, or Pitt, or NY, or Baltimore, or KC, or any one of a variety of places in the playoffs that could have terrible weather.

Peyton Manning had a dome. It didn't serve him too well for many years when he had to go TO New England in the playoffs.

No, not everyone agrees with your assessment.  I am not sure what part of the game you felt indicated the Bills were soft.  The holding the opposition to under 280 yards and 13 points on offense? Or maybe the running for 233 yards on their defense?  Maybe it was the 5 sacks of their QB?  Enlighten us please on how that performance was soft.

• Like (+1) 2

because Buffalonians want to be #1 in ***** football weather in 2040:

“This was a runaway. No NFL city puts its players and fans in more challenging weather than Buffalo.here is a full list of the football weather misery indices we calculated for all NFL cities with teams that do not play their home games in climate-controlled stadiums. Remember, a higher FWMI means worse weather. 

1. Buffalo (77.4)

2. Green Bay (65.6)

3. Cleveland (65.2)

4. Pittsburgh (57.3)

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-09-12-nfl-worst-weather-cities

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I liked the Turtle in Niagara Falls.  I (and others) just did not use it enough to make it pay.

Indeed.  Who wants to see a dome, off season, that basically nobody uses?

And yeah, in the 1980s, Niagara Falls was jumpin', in particular during the holiday season.  But, of course, it's not longer the 1980s.

1 hour ago, TheCockSportif said:

Indeed.  Who wants to see a dome, off season, that basically nobody uses?

And yeah, in the 1980s, Niagara Falls was jumpin', in particular during the holiday season.  But, of course, it's not longer the 1980s.

There was an American Indian restaurant there in early 80's  My girl friend and I took bus to Niagara Falls, looked around, walked across bridge to Canada and walked back but thing I remember most about that was that restaurant.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.