Time to bring out the pitchforks for Beane ?

Teddy KGB

1 minute ago, Process said:

At the end of the day, if we didn't have Allen, this would be one of the worst team in the league.

Seems like Beane has done well but has a blindspot for adding quality O Linemen.   

I’m not sure if I should be happy about Oliver Epanesa etc as well.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Process said:

At the end of the day, if we didn't have Allen, this would be one of the worst team in the league.

I think Spencer Brown and Greg Rousseau were some solid players this year.  We need interior players not necessarily linemen.  It seems like everyone complained about the pass rush last year and it was addressed.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Seems like Beane has done well but has a blindspot for adding quality O Linemen.   

Ed has had a good year but he still hasn't justified his draft status and I say that as someone who is a big fan. 

Ultimately Beane has spent 12 day 1 and 2 picks as Bills GM. 5 of them have gone on the Dline and it is not where it needs to be. 

Only 2 of gone on OL and one of those is a bust.

• Like (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

Nah. I believe it has more to do with the team actually bought into their hype more than anything. Their heads are up their ass.

Asking an honest question, but can you show me an interview or something like that that shows they “bought into their own hype”? Having a couple of bad games doesn’t mean they bought into their own hype. Teams have just been able to expose this team’s weaknesses

• Agree 1

pitchforks for Beane?  for what exactly?    with what little he had this past offseason,  yer lucky u got what u got.

no GM is going to hit on 100% of his picks,  or free agents.   ya'll assume Beane didnt want to address  O LIne or TE or whatever in the draft,  

mbe just mbe the draft didnt fall his way, and he took what he could get without reaching.    theres no science here in evaluating players,  there is no 100% yes, or 100% no,   its grey,  its muddy.   How many peeps said Mahomes would be crap in the NFL cuz he came from an air raid offense?  tons.   tons of guys in the league that had decades of experience.  tons.   nobody really knows.    look at Allen,  mbe the people crapping on him are still right,  even after last year.   we dont really know.

most of this stuff is extremely complicated and alot comes down to dumb luck.

so in hindsight,  as outsiders its really easy to say,   hey we needed,  this,  that,  or the other thing.    Beane knows where and what our deficiencies are.  that doesnt mean everything lines up so that he can easily fix them immediately every season.

1 minute ago, Ya Digg? said:

Asking an honest question, but can you show me an interview or something like that that shows they “bought into their own hype”? Having a couple of bad games doesn’t mean they bought into their own hype. Teams have just been able to expose this team’s weaknesses

No, but I can point to a lot of play that shows they may have bought into their own hype.

The Bills are much more talented than the Steelers, Jags and IMO the Colts. 

This team is not really any different than they were, personnel wise, from last year.

10 minutes ago, Process said:

There is a reason people were calling Josh Allen-John Elway and that should scare this team.  Because when John Madden talked about the late 80's early 90's Denver Bronco's Madden was Quoted by saying " That is as close to a one-man team as he ever saw".  The league does not fear anybody else on this team except him.

4 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

pitchforks for Beane?  for what exactly?    with what little he had this past offseason,  yer lucky u got what u got.

no GM is going to hit on 100% of his picks,  or free agents.   ya'll assume Beane didnt want to address  O LIne or TE or whatever in the draft,  

mbe just mbe the draft didnt fall his way, and he took what he could get without reaching.    theres no science here in evaluating players,  there is no 100% yes, or 100% no,   its grey,  its muddy.   How many peeps said Mahomes would be crap in the NFL cuz he came from an air raid offense?  tons.   tons of guys in the league that had decades of experience.  tons.   nobody really knows.    look at Allen,  mbe the people crapping on him are still right,  even after last year.   we dont really know.

most of this stuff is extremely complicated and alot comes down to dumb luck.

so in hindsight,  as outsiders its really easy to say,   hey we needed,  this,  that,  or the other thing.    Beane knows where and what our deficiencies are.  that doesnt mean everything lines up so that he can easily fix them immediately every season.

That is his job to hit on as many players as he can when the Bills don't flash the money in Free agency.

9 minutes ago, Process said:

This feels like some hyperbole. I’ve been smacked down for saying this, but most of the best players on this team Beane inherited. 

Milano, Hyde, Poyer, Hyde, Hughes, etc. 

I’ve long stood that we could have gotten ourselves out of cap help by being a bit more rational. Like waiting a few months to release Dareus, that would have cut his hit in half. 

To Beanes credit, he’s long been willing to backtrack on his mistakes like our QB room a few years ago. But this roster seems to be a culmination of mistakes and over allocation of dollars and draft picks to the wrong players. We shall see…

• Like (+1) 2

Beane is just an average GM. I've been saying it for years. If the Jets took Allen he would have taken Rosen or Darnold and the Bills would be the Jets. He got lucky Allen fell to him.

He gave up too much for Edmunds. Oliver was a reach though he is a fine player. Bass looks solid. Ford, Moss, Epenesa are all busts. People said it was fine Basham isn't dressing often. A second round pick gets the red shirt season and people are ok with that??? Nuts. 

That said I thought his offseason was good. I liked the Williams deal. I liked Brown in the 3rd. Basham and Doyle are wastes of picks that should have been on the interior line. Many of us were screaming for a NT or C/G. 

Oh well. Not going to let it get to me. They either play better or they don't. I cant care that much anymore. 

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

I think the one person who most needs to be gone from the team next year is OL coach Bobby Johnson. Another Juan Castillo who can’t coach his players up at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Beast said:

No, but I can point to a lot of play that shows they may have bought into their own hype.

The Bills are much more talented than the Steelers, Jags and IMO the Colts. 

This team is not really any different than they were, personnel wise, from last year.

No but teams spend all offseason scouting and the area where we are different personnel wise is up front. Dawkins isn't himself with the after effects of covid, Ike had covid too, Feliciano lost a load of weight for some unknown reason.... that has been a problem.

On the defensive side well our DL was a weak point even last year. Without Star today against a run first team it looked the same as last year with Phillips and Butler on skates. 

Sneaky miss - Andre Roberts.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

6 points vs the jags and a curbstomping by the Colts will have this effect 

I understand that,both losses were terrible.

The season isn't over tho and the AFC is still up for grabs. Bills haven't even played their best football yet and it's coming. Billieve

• Like (+1) 1

The Basham over Creed Humphrey decision showed a lack of foresight for mine. However, it may well be that McD and Frazier took that decision out of his hands to an extent.

Either way, the O-line is criminally bad, the DT's are not tough enough and the DE's lack explosiveness. I am happy with the LB's and the DB's.

On offense, we could do with another type of RB, although I think Singletary could do a lot more behind a good run blocking O-line. I am confident that Davis will become a legit WR2 in time.

Just now, goldenboy81 said:

The season isn't over tho and the AFC is still up for grabs. Bills haven't even played their best football yet and it's coming. Billieve

I don’t Billieve.   The Jags game took care of that, Garrapolo was up 30 on them In a nanosecond.  

We’ve got some issues.   I’d like to Billieve but it’s gonna take some time.   

• Agree 1

The positives:

- Beane nailed the QB decision in that draft.  Josh is the best (and please don't bring up today).

- Beane ended this team's drought, and in a few years, got the Bills to the AFCCG and made them a SB favorite, at least for one offseason

- His drafts and offseason acquisitions are generally very good

The negatives:

- He KNEW going into this offseason that O-line and RB were major issues.  He addressed those areas, but didn't attack them with desperation.  They needed to be attacked w/ desperation.

It seems like the latter was just a blind spot or something. Or too much wishful thinking about the talent we had.

7 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

The Basham over Creed Humphrey decision showed a lack of foresight for mine. However, it may well be that McD and Frazier took that decision out of his hands to an extent.

Either way, the O-line is criminally bad, the DT's are not tough enough and the DE's lack explosiveness. I am happy with the LB's and the DB's.

On offense, we could do with another type of RB, although I think Singletary could do a lot more behind a good run blocking O-line. I am confident that Davis will become a legit WR2 in time.

I agree. We have a lot of the talent in place. We just need more in the trenches on both sides

1 minute ago, goldenboy81 said:

It's all about reconfiguring expectations. Most had deep playoff aspirations and a number one seed. Now that our warts are exposed, we should all be merely hoping for the playoffs. We're currenlty the 6th and possibly the 7th seed by the end of the night. So just like every drought year, we're back to wishing to run the table to keep us in the hunt. I can't quit this team. If the drought couldn't break me, nothing will. But let's at least be reasonable. Every loss we take from here on out, we have to pray that others lose as well and odds are, we've got at least one more loss coming. There's no time to "get hot." 

• Like (+1) 1

I think I have more of an issue with the game day usages of players then the roster. I think the offensive philosophy is absolutely killing us. The talent is there. The game plan is atrocious and has been figured out. I have been asking for the Shula Panthers (good Cam) offense for 3 years now. Josh Allen is at his best in an offense with a lot of big set, play action and where his legs are a big part of the plan. Stop the shotgun spread on every play. Please!

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

agree 100%.  I love the linebackers and the secondary (even Levi Wallace) 

The OL should be dropped off at the dump. 

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Ed has had a good year but he still hasn't justified his draft status and I say that as someone who is a big fan. 

Ultimately Beane has spent 12 day 1 and 2 picks as Bills GM. 5 of them have gone on the Dline and it is not where it needs to be. 

Only 2 of gone on OL and one of those is a bust.

Maybe, but who would you replace him with even in hindsight? Granted I know knothing but I don't see anybody. I have hard time counting Metcalf given how late he actually went (although I'd count him for people who were actually banging the drum hard for him @ 9).

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

Maybe, but who would you replace him with even in hindsight? Granted I know knothing but I don't see anybody. I have hard time counting Metcalf given how late he actually went (although I'd count him for people who were actually banging the drum hard for him @ 9).

In a re-draft I would take Brian Burns who went to Carolina. Funnily enough going into that draft day he was who I expected to want at #9. I never expected Ed to still be there, once he was I wanted him and I loved the Oliver pick. But Burns is that explosive rusher we need off the edge. 

24 minutes ago, benderbender said:

It's all about reconfiguring expectations. Most had deep playoff aspirations and a number one seed. Now that our warts are exposed, we should all be merely hoping for the playoffs. We're currenlty the 6th and possibly the 7th seed by the end of the night. So just like every drought year, we're back to wishing to run the table to keep us in the hunt. I can't quit this team. If the drought couldn't break me, nothing will. But let's at least be reasonable. Every loss we take from here on out, we have to pray that others lose as well and odds are, we've got at least one more loss coming. There's no time to "get hot." 

I don't think we're even close to hoping to get in just yet.

The bills might be one game out the playoff picture but they also are bout one game from leading the playoff picture.

Since there are 7 games left there is plenty of time to get hot and I'd rather be hot at the end of the year than the middle.

Not saying there isn't problems at the moment but they are fixable. Getting healthy and cutting out flags would be a huge step in the right direction.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In a re-draft I would take Brian Burns who went to Carolina. Funnily enough going into that draft day he was who I expected to want at #9. I never expected Ed to still be there, once he was I wanted him and I loved the Oliver pick. But Burns is that explosive rusher we need off the edge. 

Ok so one guy. My point is that even though Oliver is probably not what we hoped for he is still close to BPA from any realistic options. Metcalf is very specific case many people loved him but there was apparently league-wide consensus among GMs that he was very limited.

People looking for pitchforks have no clue what they are talking about imo. Like I said somewhere else we have 5th best regular season record in last 3 years and just were in AFCCG. Beane has apparently made wrong decisions in both draft and FA but all GMs do those. Lets at least let this season play out and then revisit his decisions (and compare them to the rest of the league).

Today was the first time in 36 years that I turned off a game in the 4th quarter.

I had no choice. It isn’t the players on the field. It’s the ineptitude from the organization trickling down to the players on the field and it finally exploded today.

This is the first time that I’ve felt that I don’t want to be a part of this anymore. It’s shameful.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Governor said:

Today was the first time in 36 years that I turned off a game in the 4th quarter.

I had no choice. It isn’t the players on the field. It’s the ineptitude from the organization trickling down to the players on the field and it finally exploded today.

This is the first time that I’ve felt that I don’t want to be a part of this anymore. It’s shameful.

This seems overdramatic. At the end of the day we're still 6-4 and in line for a wild card spot at worst. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.