Time to go on record if you honestly believe this is still a SB caliber team or even a playoff team at this point

FilthyBeast

I honestly believe the Bills heard footsteps by the Patriots and that took the bully right out of them.  That's the problem right there.  All of a sudden now, the defense are acting like nice little boys on the school yard.   I wonder if they can beat the Pats now or even still be in the game by half time of both games.  I honestly think the Bills are playing scared now.  They aren't the beauty queen anymore and Pats stole their lips stick and mascara.  

9-8 at best.

Team was listless out of the gates today.  Yes, zebras handed the colts a TD, maybe 2.  But the Bills played terribly and shouldn’t  put yourself in the position for the refs to make a difference.

Defense didn’t have a good game.  Offense was putrid.  Can’t see us winning against the Pats once, or beating the Bucs.  Scared of the Saints in NO.

We don’t have the depth on this team to make a deep run in the playoffs.  Star and our rookie tackle are out and it showed…again.

Terrible game today.  Terrible.

2 minutes ago, AbsoluteMeatHead said:

I honestly believe the Bills heard footsteps by the Patriots and that took the bully right out of them.  That's the problem right there.

I'm pretty sure that is absolutely not the problem right there.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I hate how they refused to spend money on game changers upfront on both lines…. Again, a regime too concerned about the cap and the future and “sustained success” instead of the here and now. Its about to ruin their season if it hasn’t already.

Well they will have to this offseason. They will have to make some tough decisions on older guys they like but they need at least one Guard, a Center, and they still need a true difference making edge.

I don’t see any more than 3 wins for rest of season.  Maybe they sneak into WC but what would the point even be?  The book is written on how to beat This team. 

the other issue is that we have players like Brown and Star who apparently are the most critical players on the team who aren’t available.  On paper we have a solid roster.  On the field we have a sinking team who seem to not really care if they win or lose.  Zero fight.  Soft and stupid.  

This is a mindset issue right now on this team, not talent. Hard to say if or when that will get fixed right now. I would assume McD will get them dialed back in but what if their mindset of being too good to have to put in the work like last year is too far gone??

15 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Superbowl winning teams can and do lose blowout losses at home. The SB champion Bucs lost 38-3 to the Saints at home in week 9 last year.

One god awful game from the Bills doesn't invalidate the rest of the season. We're still one of the most talented teams in the NFL and if we play to our potential we should beat any team. 

we aren’t one of the most talented teams, not by a long shot.  Who do we have that are difference makers?  Allen?  I guess, though he’s a pale shadow of last year.  Diggs?  Hard to say, daboll is far too smart to use Diggs like he did last year.   On D I just don’t see anyone that strikes fear into opposing OCs.  We have 10 slightly below to slightly above average DL and some finesse LBs.  

and let’s stop with “one godawful game” when we’ve dropped 3 of 4, where we were favored in each

I have no idea what this team's story will look like when the smoke of this season clears.  This is NFL Week 11.  There are still 7 regular season weeks to go.  Do you recall the narrative about Buffalo and all the other teams around the league 7 weeks ago?  Hell, I barely recall a pre "Spencer Brown has COVID" world.  It probably will change that much again over the next 7 weeks.  Stay tuned.  As for a guess...  Looking forward to March for real story of this teams future to unfold.  I haven't given up on this season, but there are significant holes that need patching no matter how this season ends.  Break out the industrial size drum of spackle Mr. Beane.

Edited by cwater10
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Evian said:

The Bills can't stop the run. With the Titans, Colts, Patriots, Ravens, and Browns in their way, they have no real path to the Super Bowl. The offense is not particularly good either.

this.  While the Bills were building a finesse, effete team, the rest of the conference was focused on building teams that can run and stop the run.  The Bills are so delicate and sophisticated that a High School game plan executed by average players leads to the Bills getting completely physically dominated.

I wonder if the Colts came into the Bills locker room after and shoved the Bills into their lockers and took their lunch money.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

I think they'll be fine.   Kinda lovin' it, beat the Saints, then the game of the year with a full roster on MNF.  Fun! 

The first Patriots game on MNF is setting up to be absolutely HUGE.

Should be a great game.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think the beat version of this team is capable of winning the Super Bowl. 

Problem is, the 2021 version of this team isn’t regularly the beat version of itself. 

It's like they play one good game and then go back to thinking they are on easy street

• Like (+1) 1

ive been hesitant to declare anything about this team since week 1 tbh.    i stated here many times that i didnt see what the guys in Vegas saw about this team being the Super Bowl favorites all season.   i sincerely doubt they will be after this week.     the offense has looked dreadful on more than one occasion this season,   we have zero running game to open up cover 2 defenses.    we arent really set up offensively for late Nov-Dec football. 

now onto the defense,  the so  called "Legendary"  (stat wise until this week) defense.    i posted the Legendary article earlier this week,  and while the stats backed it up,  the article didnt take into affect the fact we played so many garbage QBs.   we got fat off terrible offenses.   even the Chiefs were playing like crap when we finally beat them.   not so much now.

add these things all together and i think any rational person would be hesitant to expect Super Bowl at this point.    we need some sort of running game,  spread offenses dont work if your QB doesnt get time to throw.   mbe this is fixed with missing players coming back.   right now the trenches are the problems.   also,  u cant turn the ball over and expect to win consistently.

This Bills team is the same as the Sabres team after almost going to the Stanley Cup Finals after the lockout and losing in game 7...

The next season they came back still really good but mentally they weren't in it a lot of games and took their talent for granted. 

The Bills better get their act together mentally quickly.

Edited by Big Turk

I think they still have as good a shot as anyone. I probably won’t be too active on here cause it’s pretty bad after a loss. 
But I will go on record that I think the talent is still there to make a significant run and Buffalo has the potential to play with anyone in the league. Today of course they didn’t look that way. 

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

At the beginning of the year I said 12-5 and loss in 2nd round of the playoffs, also assumed winning a consecutive division title. Can find the post later if needed.

But sadly I'm now revising that prediction to 9-8 and missing out on the playoffs altogether. If you are still confident in this team though feel free to chime in or let me know what you think.

Yes covid and injuries but if you've been paying attention there was no stopping this trainwreck from happening and coming full circle today even if the roster was 100% full strength.

I am saying 9-8 as well Jets, Falcons and saints or panthers

This season, for me at this point, will come down to whether we win the division or lose it to NE.  If we head into the playoffs as a wild card (it's not so much being on the road that scares me, but more so that as a lower seed we will be playing the better teams right out of the gate), I think we aren't going very far.  If we can somehow get the 2 seed again, I could see us maybe getting back to the AFCC game if things fall right.

It feels like we've shot our bolt. If this was a blowout from out of nowhere then it'd be a punch in the gut but recovery would be possible. But actually the defense was the same one which got it's tummy tickled by the Titans and the offense was the same one which got squeezed by the Jaguars. Yes, we're missing people but so are all teams at the moment. We haven't learned from the mistakes of previous games which means, what, we're incapable of doing so? And if that is the case is that because the players do not have the ability, the coaches do not have the capacity to improve the schemes of both?

The Saints match up could be another Titans scorefest with the dome, meaning Josh may feel more settled and we'd hold on to more balls but the defense will, in all liklihood, be putrid - especially if Kamara returns. After that... right now I have no faith that anyone at Orchard Park, from the Pegula's downwards, have any idea how to fix the mess we're in and that means we're very reliant on the remaining AFC franchises having problems of their own to get into the post season. The Super Bowl is further away than it has a right to be and we have been exposed for what we are.

• Dislike 1

Happily on record. While I don’t believe we will be the 1 seed, I do still believe we will win the East and host at least 2 playoff games. Had the Ravens not pulled off a last minute desperation kick, we’d be talking about most of the AFC being thrown in disarray…just stinks we couldn’t make up ground today on the Titans. 

3 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

And I'd hate to face Bills in the playoffs if they are hot. All they need to do is just get there. I won't let a crappy weather game sum up an otherwise good season. 

sorry bro, this was way more than a crappy weather game - the Bills got absolutely trucked

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Even fully healthy, I can't get to still winning the division. The cliff notes on how to beat both lines is there for any team to exploit, and the Pats have the line talent to exploit both.

Yup.  The Pats are the very blueprint of a team that overwhelm the Bills in every phase of the game.   McD, of course, will not change anything and rely on ‘culture’ to make up for the increasingly yawning talent gap between the Bills and their opponents. Definitely looking forward to McD talking about the guys working hard or whatever vacuous platitudes he’ll use this week.  

• Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.