Attention traders - you too can buy stock in the Packers

BuffaloBill

What a money-making racket for them! But let’s be real, if the Bills offered this up, best believe I’d be one of the suckers lining up for my certificate suitable for framing! 

Then all the “shareholders” could say snarky things on these boards like, “unless you’re an owner of this franchise, you don’t get to start new threads,” etc., etc…:w00t:

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 9

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

What a money-making racket for them! But let’s be real, if the Bills offered this up, best believe I’d be one of the suckers lining up for my certificate suitable for framing! 

Then all the “shareholders” could say snarky things on these boards like, “unless you’re an owner of this franchise, you don’t get to start new threads,” etc., etc…:w00t:

Maybe SDS will sell “shares” of TSW….

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

I love this “ownership” model. I wish the Bills could copy it.

https://www.nfl.com/news/green-bay-packers-selling-stock-for-sixth-time-in-franchise-s-history

I'm pretty sure the NFL owners banned the concept of public ownership of a team. Heaven forbid a community could have a real stake in "its" team.

As for this "stock" offering (the quotes are necessary), this is from the offering website itself:

Common stock does not constitute an investment in “stock” in the common sense of the term.
Purchasers should not purchase common stock with the purpose of making a profit.

I don't know how they are even allowed to use the word "stock" since it in no way resembles stock as we know it.

And the "stock" is not transferable (except to your heirs, etc.), and I couldn't figure out what voting rights, if any, it carries with it. It is simply symbolic.

Maybe you'd be better off buying a piece of turf from an old/re-sodded field if you want a symbol of Packerlove.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

1 hour ago, Process said:

Aren't the shares worthless? Basically $300 for a piece of paper. 

Not sure what there is to love.

For their fans, owning a piece of the team is meaningful.

Fans spend money on team stuff. What is a PSL worth? A plain t-shirt costs around $10, but people will spend $60 for an authentic, official NFL t-shirt with a Bills logo.

Frankly, if the NFL would allow publicly owned teams (other than the Pack, who's grandfathered in), and the Bills were up for sale, I'd spend $300 on a share. Considering how much I've spent on DirecTV and Sunday Ticket, that's pretty small potatoes.

Just now, WhoTom said:

Well, true. Is it better to pay to own an NFT of Aaron Rodgers getting a vaccine (actually, that one would be rare and valuable) than a "certificate" of "stock" ownership to put on the mantle below your TV? I mean, people pay to have stars "registered" in their name, or to buy one square foot of land in some exotic location, etc., etc.

But still: please stop calling it "stock" - even with the quotes around it.

33 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Fans spend money on team stuff. What is a PSL worth? A plain t-shirt costs around $10, but people will spend $60 for an authentic, official NFL t-shirt with a Bills logo.

Frankly, if the NFL would allow publicly owned teams (other than the Pack, who's grandfathered in), and the Bills were up for sale, I'd spend $300 on a share. Considering how much I've spent on DirecTV and Sunday Ticket, that's pretty small potatoes.

but you don't own anything. You don't get a piece of the team. You're just giving them money

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

but you don't own anything. You don't get a piece of the team. You're just giving them money

I'm a little surprised they can call these stock shares.

They're literally putting their "hand" out for $90 million and providing nothing but a piece of paper in a return that means nothing.

14 minutes ago, nucci said:

You own a piece of the team and have the right to vote on who runs the team.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/07/17/green-bay-packers-shareholders-team-owners

You own a certificate for your man-cave - not much different than a banner, really. And you get bragging rights. There are only 32 NFL teams and you have an opportunity to be a part-owner of one.

I agree, it's not worthy as an investment, but do any of us buy Bills gear as an investment? Is a PSL an investment?

1 hour ago, qwksilver said:

What happens with the profits that should be generated? Are dividends paid or is there some Packer's slush fund? Don't most teams generate a few million in free cash flow per year?

This is actually a really good question. We know you can't transfer/sell the "stock," but the Packers are profitable, so they'd be expected to return some value to shareholders. I mean, I'm sure they don't, but I wonder what the theory is behind not doing so.

Amazing that they get all those kudos for being "owned by the people of Green Bay" when they are pretty much using that public ownership/nonprofit status as a way to line the pockets of what I assume are just a small group of insiders. 

• Agree 1

Reminds me of the self-serving bozo who suggested in 2010 that fans invest in bonds to help a future owner finance the purchase of the team.

Back then, when everyone was totally convinced that the team would be moved to God-knows-where, this knucklehead suggested that fans basically give their money to a prospective buyer. From the Buffalo News: "Under ... the plan, fans would loan money to the next owner of the Buffalo Bills by purchasing low-interest bonds -- called Bills Bonds -- that would reduce a new owner's often-choking interest payments."

45 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

This is actually a really good question. We know you can't transfer/sell the "stock," but the Packers are profitable, so they'd be expected to return some value to shareholders. I mean, I'm sure they don't, but I wonder what the theory is behind not doing so.

Amazing that they get all those kudos for being "owned by the people of Green Bay" when they are pretty much using that public ownership/nonprofit status as a way to line the pockets of what I assume are just a small group of insiders. 

The team is a non-profit entity. The only pockets being lined belong to players and coaches.

20 hours ago, WhoTom said:

The team is a non-profit entity. The only pockets being lined belong to players and coaches.

Ahh, the self-sacrificing leaders of our  “non-profit entities.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.erieri.com/blog/post/top-10-highest-paid-ceos-at-nonprofits-2021%3Famp

Best compensated non-profit CEO in 2018 pulled in about $18 million in compensation. Maybe the Packers aren’t on that level, but I would guess that their top brass aren’t exactly earning what we think of as non-profit do-gooder pay. 

Yeah; don’t really get this at all. This isn’t stock in any sense of the word. Just donate $300 to charity and at least get some type of deduction for it. Honestly not sure why the Packers don’t catch more flack for this scam. Basically a very wealthy entity asking for free money. What I can’t understand is, if the Packers make a ton of money as an nfl franchise, and they are a not for profit,

where does all their money go? Surely someone is getting rich and it isn’t the “stock holders”. 

On 11/16/2021 at 1:41 PM, WhoTom said:

You can wear the shirt.  A PSL is a commodity you own and can sell for whatever the market brings.

This stock certificate does not in any way make you a fractional owner of the team.  It's a "Kick me" sign you wear on the front of your shirt.

Only an absolute sucker would contribute $300 to a business that's raking in millions and has a 400 mil reserve.  This is shameless.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.