Sean’s Decisions

since79

On a clear challenge in the first half, he holds the flag and calls a time out. Maybe to give his guys a look or hopes the Refs take another look. After the time out, no challenge.  If your wasting a time out there throw the flag.You lose, you lose a time out, same outcome.

Later on D we take a time out and the announcers are shocked. Gave the refs a chance to look at a judgment call.  

Get the ball back with little time in the half. Boy could we have used the time outs.

He has no problem calling defensive timeouts.  Very predictable that he will do it and may times the other team converts as a result. 

If someone can look into this i would like to know our success rate in stopping a team after a defensive time out. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, since79 said:

On a clear challenge in the first half, he holds the flag and calls a time out. Maybe to give his guys a look or hopes the Refs take another look. After the time out, no challenge.  If your wasting a time out there throw the flag.You lose, you lose a time out, same outcome.

Later on D we take a time out and the announcers are shocked. Gave the refs a chance to look at a judgment call.  

Get the ball back with little time in the half. Boy could we have used the time outs.

He has no problem calling defensive timeouts.  Very predictable that he will do it and may times the other team converts as a result. 

If someone can look into this i would like to know our success rate in stopping a team after a defensive time out. 

Not completely the same as if you don't win the challenge, you lose one that could be used later. 

Having said that, do agree if you're going to call the TO may as well throw the flag, but  do lose something.

Was it the Bills maybe 10 years ago, similar situation, team called a TO, then threw the flag and challenged.  Lost the challenge, so now lost two TO's plus a challenge  attempt.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s too defensive centric…. Everything about this team is….. The investment in the defensive line is just ridiculous…. Not enough to help the offense. 

That’s part of my point. Has no problem calling defensive timeouts. Yet tentative with an offensive challenge. 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, since79 said:

At the end of the day the Bills defense gave up 9 points against a terrible defense.   Timeouts on defense are the least of this teams issues 

17 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s too defensive centric…. Everything about this team is….. The investment in the defensive line is just ridiculous…. Not enough to help the offense. 

Well I think something that is clear is we need a physical mismatch on the outside. 

We are back to the smurf Wide Receivers who can't separate. 

WGR talks about the deep ball, we haven't had a deep ball since 2018 with Robert Foster. 

18 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

He sucks

3 playoff appearances in 4 years say otherwise. Beane and McDermott aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Besides do you trust the Pegula's to find a better GM/HC? You see what they have done with the Sabres the last 10 years or so.

1 minute ago, Billsflyer12 said:

Can we say he may be overrated?

I don’t think he’s overrated.  I think he’s a very good coach and is still learning how to become a better coach.  

I thought yesterday was one of his worst performances, if not his worst.  

I put the regression of our offense on our OL (or lack thereof) and Daboll.  When our opponent (with a terrible D) sells out to stop the pass for an entire game, our OC has to figure out a way to score more than 6 points.  I don’t put that on McD.  I put that on Daboll and Beane. 

Penalties and dropped passes were untimely to say the least.  

18 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Not accepting that holding penalty to take them out of field goal range was odd.  I understand the percentages that the kicker won't make it but put some faith in your pass defense to make sure.

To me, at that point in the game I had zero issue with that call. I think it had less to do with being confident in the defense and more about what was happening in the game at that time.

There were phantom calls being made on players not even suited up. Yellow flags everywhere. So you move them back and then what? Phantom hands to the face? Pass interference? Unsportsmanlike conduct? Either way auto 1st down and drive stays alive. 

Or, force a rookie kicker to try a very long FG. This same guy went on to miss 3 straight kicks from the same basic area on 1 play (with penalties sprinkled in...shocker). 

The TO & no challenge I didn't get.  That was a clear catch was it not?  What was I missing there? 

As for running up to the line on 3rd & short, Brady seemed to always run the play, especially if a qb sneak.  Should have done that (and certainly vs. Tennessee too), forget scanning the the field.  They needed a foot and  if snapped immediately to Allen he would have gotten it that game. 

Add to that their red-zone (inside the 5 has been awful). 

21 hours ago, since79 said:

He usually does it to see how the O sets up and make them go to a different set or play.

It does seem they convert an awfully lot after timeouts 

21 hours ago, since79 said:

All I could find was a study on 4th down success after a timeout.  

The summary of the project: when it comes to all fourth downs overall, there is no evidence that calling a timeout helps the offense in a statistically significant manner. 

footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/timeouts-and-fourth-downs

20 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

McD was out coached by Urban Meyer. LMAO 

Yup, that's really the big takeaway here.  Urban Meyer is Rex Ryan without the charm.  McD does not get a pass.

I'm starting to think he;s a better coach at getting to .500 with a lousy team than getting to .750 with good one

20 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

This team was built to beat the Chefs, and our biggest problem there was lack of a pass rush.  So that got fixed and this D is Lights Out.  Next year OL will be #1 priority.  Who knew that KC would suck out loud this year?  

Before that 4th and 16, did we call a timeout - and if we did, did we have 3 at the time?

I was at the game and can't remember exactly what went on there.

If so, why?  I understand the 4th and 16 is big, but you made it so the game hinged on a 4th and 16.  Otherwise we can force a stop, punt and then have 50 seconds with no timeouts to get into FG range.

The guy is a good coach but on game days, he’s always been suspect with use of timeouts and calling challenges . This year he has added declining a lot of penalties to stay in 3rd/4th down instead of pushing teams back further, which has been really odd and frustrating

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I was at the game

My condolences.

To the point of this thread:  McD had a lousy, no-good, terrible, awful day.  He was bad.  Daboll was bad.  Nobody on offense looked prepared.  It was a complete "throw the film in the trash" sort of affair.  McD needs to be better and I'm guessing he knows that.

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Can you clarify the defensive timeout statement?

Are you saying the other team often converts after McDermott's defensive timeout, and then in your next sentence ask someone to look up whether teams often convert after McDermott's defensive timeouts?

In this game the circumstance was Jax 3rd and 7 with 1:51 on clock. We call a time out, and Jax converts a 28yrd prayer for a first down. 

My question was, to get a success stat would be enlightening. It seems that this may backfire equally as  much as it is successful.  I guess I will have to go through game logs to quantify.  Just figured others may have already thought of this or may have easier access. 

Thanks for asking.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Not accepting that holding penalty to take them out of field goal range was odd.  I understand the percentages that the kicker won't make it but put some faith in your pass defense to make sure.

This bothered me too at the time and as it turns out, it could of been the difference in the game, if the D gets them to punt or turn it over

• Agree 1

On 11/7/2021 at 6:03 PM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Not completely the same as if you don't win the challenge, you lose one that could be used later. 

Having said that, do agree if you're going to call the TO may as well throw the flag, but  do lose something.

Was it the Bills maybe 10 years ago, similar situation, team called a TO, then threw the flag and challenged.  Lost the challenge, so now lost two TO's plus a challenge  attempt.

I do remember it happening. I was thinking it was Marrone, but there is a long list of idiots that could have done that. 

On 11/7/2021 at 4:26 PM, ScottLaw said:

Did you watch any games last season? Pretty much all offense.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.