Diggs #'s way down - Is this an issue

Billsfan1972

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

As I've said the Bills offense just looks a little off.  

Early on many wanted to claim Diggs #'s were down due to Sanders arrival, but that is not the case.

Elite receivers get their touches passes and catches every week & seldom a drop off, but Diggs' #'s are way down.

2020 7.94 catches/game 95.94 yards/gm 7 100 yard games

2021 6 cathces/gm 71.87 yards/gm  1 100 yard game.

Kupp, Lamb, Adams & others are all doing well.  Only Hopkins (slightly injured) seems to have seen their #'s down this season.

Want to see Diggs putting up 2020 #'s soon.....

No

When the dreaded R word (regression) was discussed in the offseason, some misunderstood it. Specifically, statistical regression is not necessarily a bad thing. While it can mean a downturn in statistical production for a given player, it can be a GOOD thing for the offense as a whole.

Diggs is the perfect example.

Statistically, he has not been as productive this season as he was last season. HOWEVER, Emmanuel Sanders presents a giant upgrade so far over what John Brown was last year. A big chunk of Diggs' targets and catches are going to Sanders. This is a good thing for the offense as a whole.

Besides, Diggs is on pace for about 90 catches and 1100 yards. A downturn from last year? Sure. Still a very good season for a WR? Absolutely.

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

When the dreaded R word (regression) was discussed in the offseason, some misunderstood it. Specifically, statistical regression is not necessarily a bad thing. While it can mean a downturn in statistical production for a given player, it can be a GOOD thing for the offense as a whole.

Diggs is the perfect example.

Statistically, he has not been as productive this season as he was last season. HOWEVER, Emmanuel Sanders presents a giant upgrade so far over what John Brown was last year. A big chunk of Diggs' targets and catches are going to Sanders. This is a good thing for the offense as a whole.

Besides, Diggs is on pace for about 90 catches and 1100 yards. A downturn from last year? Sure. Still a very good season for a WR? Absolutely.

Brown was injured half the season, but their #'s were pretty much the exact same.  And yes I like Sanders.

• Dislike 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I mean Stef is probably not going to lead the league in catches and yards this season but even at this pace he is going to have over 100 catches and over 1100 yards. It is hardly time to panic. 

Not panicking, was throwing (yes a pun) something out there, as he has like the offense just looked off (as I've stated)......

6 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I do not do Fantasy....  Stating an OPINION....  Top receivers have not seen production drop & Diggs' #'s down 25%....  #'s don't lie.

Well you know what they say about opinions ;)

Here are the plain BOLD facts

2020 passing yards for the Bills after 7 games 1958 yards(addition error)

2021 passing yards after 7 games 1934 yards

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2020.htm

So even though there was an error in addition the Bills are still in relatively the same position despite #14's drop in production

Edited by JMF2006
addition error I think I missed one of the 274 yd games
  • Like (+1) 3

As stated before, teams are blanketing Diggs.  That's freeing up other targets.  That, and our offensive line (which I'm starting to dub "The Turnstyle") isn't allowing enough time for Diggs to break free.

Numbers are just numbers.  Gotta dig deeper to find the reasons.

The more interesting narrative is that despite lower numbers Diggs isn't bringing the drama, as many Vikings fans asserted he would.  He's bought into The Process.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

2020 passing yards for the Bills after 7 games 1684yards

At least get it right.....  1958 in 2020 after 7 (included a putrid 122 vs. KC).....  So yep they're way behind 2020😜

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

As I've said the Bills offense just looks a little off.  

Early on many wanted to claim Diggs #'s were down due to Sanders arrival, but that is not the case.

Elite receivers get their touches passes and catches every week & seldom a drop off, but Diggs' #'s are way down.

2020 7.94 catches/game 95.94 yards/gm 7 100 yard games

2021 6 cathces/gm 71.87 yards/gm  1 100 yard game.

Kupp, Lamb, Adams & others are all doing well.  Only Hopkins (slightly injured) seems to have seen their #'s down this season.

Want to see Diggs putting up 2020 #'s soon.....

I literally said this would happen to him and Beasley prior to the season starting.  We have too many weapons now, especially with the emergence of Knox.  Last year, with Browns injury and Davis a rookie, Allen leaned heavily on Cole and Diggs, especially Diggs.  This year, just too many mouths to feed.  

So no, nothing to see here, it was absolutely inevitable and expected based on the loaded offense

2 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

2020 passing yards for the Bills after 7 games 1684yards

The Bills have also scored 58 more points through 7 games this season.  

Not seeing a "problem." 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

The Bills have also scored 58 more points through 7 games this season.  

Not seeing a "problem." 

But the stat posted about passing yards was wrong.....  Again was asking about Diggs as his #'s down 25%.....

You tell me if 25% is a large decline?  To me it is and thus the question.

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

But the stat posted about passing yards was wrong.....  Again was asking about Diggs as his #'s down 25%.....

The Bills are scoring over 8 points more per game this year by spreading the ball around. Last time I checked, the receiving yards of your #1 wr doesn't win games. 

You are demanding people accept there is a problem. What is your solution? Force the ball to Diggs in double coverage more and stop throwing to the open receiver? 

• Agree 1

Overall not a problem. 

I do wonder if we could get more efficiency with the Gold (rip and liz) calls for WR screens.  Miami played a LOT of cover 0 and we used WR screen to counter.   It was ok.  However at least a couple times (from the Cover 1 breakdown) when we went to beasley on one side, diggs was on the other alone and getting cushion (as you would expect).  This is what happened on the TD to Diggs.  Middle field open in a cover 0 look and we went his way. 

I wonder if we could drop the WR screen and throw to Diggs whos gets cushion on the other side.  

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

After a 127 catch year, defensive coaches are focusing more on taking away Diggs.  How dare them.  

And they too focus on Adams, Kupp & others.....  There are 21 receivers ahead of Diggs.....  I'm sure he's happy about that.

His production is down 25%, another thing I'm sure warms his heart.

• Dislike 1

52 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

26 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And they too focus on Adams, Kupp & others.....  There are 21 receivers ahead of Diggs.....  I'm sure he's happy about that.

All you keep harping on is this 25% number and clearly don't care about context.  You have still yet to explain what your point is.

20 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Diggs had the 6th most receptions in NFL HISTORY.  His decrease is because his number was so high the year before.  

Davante Adams had 18 TD receptions last year.  He currently has 3 which is significantly more than a 25% decrease.

Do you think there's a guy on the Packers forum saying "Adams TD numbers way down...is this an issue?"

I don't.  I don't think there's another person on the planet that thinks like you.

Sanders took catches away from everyone. They're still a top 5 WR group in the league. Nothing to see here, only problem is maybe they could have spent Sanders' money and roster spot on a competent Guard instead, and still had a great WR group. 

Allen will have to figure out how to get Sanders, Diggs, and Beasley each 100 YPG if everyone is going to look great on paper this year. 

Edited by skibum

5 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I do not do Fantasy....  Stating an OPINION....  Top receivers have not seen production drop & Diggs' #'s down 25%....  #'s don't lie.

Put a top receiver from one team on a team with another top receiver and see if one or both of their production dips.  Thats essentially what happened here.  Im not saying we have two #1s but we have a big room of very good targets.  There is only one ball.

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Diggs had the 6th most receptions in NFL HISTORY.  His decrease is because his number was so high the year before.  

Davante Adams had 18 TD receptions last year.  He currently has 3 which is significantly more than a 25% decrease.

Do you think there's a guy on the Packers forum saying "Adams TD numbers way down...is this an issue?"

I don't.  I don't think there's another person on the planet that thinks like you.

Adams #'s catches and yards are up.  Again a stupid comment.  But yep TDs are down, so you got me.  If GB wasn't scoring in the red zone and Adams not targetted it would be an issue.  

Anyone here happy when touches and yards down 25%?  Hope #'s improve as they are down no it's ands or buts.....

• Dislike 1

19 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Adams #'s catches and yards are up.  Again a stupid comment.  But yep TDs are down, so you got me.  If GB wasn't scoring in the red zone and Adams not targetted it would be an issue.  

Anyone here happy when touches and yards down 25%?  Hope #'s improve as they are down no it's ands or buts.....

What is your solution?  Force the ball to Diggs?  Double Josh's passing attempts?  As explained to you by multiple people, there are more targets for the ball this year but still only one ball.  The offense has evolved to not have to rely solely on one receiver.

Josh is on pace for the same passing yards he had last season (yes over 16 games not 17).  He is also on pace for 38 passing TDs.  Last season was 37.  The obvious answer is the ball is being more spread around.  

Diggs 25% down in numbers works out to about 25 yards per game.  Its 2 catches per game.  Someone else is getting those 2 catches.  Its that simple.  I don't see this huge problem you are bringing up.

Edited by Scott7975

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

127 catches a season should be the floor for Diggs. 

it's a common baseline among wrs.

4 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

I think its just you. Teef?

actually, i like it when he posts.  i feel we've just taking our first step into the gold mine that is the head of billsfan1972.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.