Can someone who understands the nuances of WR play explain this to me?

Hapless Bills Fan

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In this video clip, Diggs is evidently unhappy with the first pass, even though he makes a clean 1 handed catch.

He does a lot of "hand talk" to Allen.  The second pass, which is also a 1 hand catch, is evidently just to his liking as he "thumbs up" and they move on.

What's the difference?

I can't see enough too be certain what is issue exactly but one Diggs feels like he can make a play with and the other he cant. Likely the first one is gonna force him into  what happens next and the second he can make the determination. Whether it is height or force or trajectory I can't tell from that video.

3 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

I'm pretty sure he was just saying "gimme another one"

"Gimme another" is plainly part of what he's saying, but I'm pretty sure there was something he didn't like about the placement of the first pass, and liked about the 2nd.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I can't see enough too be certain what is issue exactly but one Diggs feels like he can make a play with and the other he cant. Likely the first one is gonna force him into  what happens next and the second he can make the determination. Whether it is height or force or trajectory I can't tell from that video.

He seems to take two large steps back and land a bit off balance from the first and only 1 step back and still balanced for the 2nd, so good observation, but would like to understand why

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In this video clip, Diggs is evidently unhappy with the first pass, even though he makes a clean 1 handed catch.

He does a lot of "hand talk" to Allen.  The second pass, which is also a 1 hand catch, is evidently just to his liking as he "thumbs up" and they move on.

What's the difference?

he had to jump for the 1st one?

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Gimme another" is plainly part of what he's saying, but I'm pretty sure there was something he didn't like about the placement of the first pass, and liked about the 2nd

I personally can't see what makes you think that honestly, unless I'm missing something. Maybe you're using of the word "unhappy" isn't quite the right word? I don't see nothing here but your typical practice type communication talk stuff. 

Maybe a case of "reading a little too much into it" here lol?

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

It’s nothing more than a receiving drill. Perhaps we will see some back shoulder tosses to Diggs along the left sideline on Sunday. Miami loves that man D after all. Even though Josh shreds it time after time. 

It would be more interesting to see Josh’s drills where he works on off platform throws. 

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It’s nothing more than a receiving drill. Perhaps we will see some back shoulder tosses to Diggs along the left sideline on Sunday. Miami loves that man D after all. Even though Josh shreds it time after time. 

It would be more interesting to see Josh’s drills where he works on off platform throws. 

Could be a good plan.

Diggs plans to freeze the DB with the first quick couple steps and then turns outside. On the first rep it seems a bit sloppy, or more like he wasn't ready at the snap. 2nd rep was smooth. Practice makes perfect.

1 hour ago, gobills404 said:

I'm pretty sure he was just saying "gimme another one"

I think he even gives him a thumbs up after the first one, just like the second one but the coach is in the way in the clip (around the 3 second mark of the video)

1 hour ago, Udubalum07 said:

It's a little difficult to see what it was exactly only seeing him catch the ball and not the ball flight. 

One thing might be wanting more touch. The first one might have come in a little more hot.

And high & away - if he's practice the smoke then he can't really turn upfield with that. That 2nd one he's in better position to spin up

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What's the difference?

No clue, random guessing from the video the first was more straight back and high the second seemed more to his right(Diggs right) and high.

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Miami is planning to change the way they cover receivers for this game. I am assuming they intend to run more zone to duplicate what some other teams are doing to slow Josh down.

26 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

Miami is planning to change the way they cover receivers for this game. I am assuming they intend to run more zone to duplicate what some other teams are doing to slow Josh down.

Not that I disbelieve you a bit, but source?

A problem is that teams usually slant (see what I did?) towards CB who excel at man, or who excel at zone.  Rather than go away from their base, this time against KC the Bills seem to have done a deep dive into how KC tried to exploit their zone coverage and how to adjust safeties and LBs to fill the gaps.

39 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

One would think that’s the case. But they absolutely suck in zone concepts, so I won’t be surprised if Flores insists on doing what his personnel is best at doing. 

23 minutes ago, K-9 said:

One would think that’s the case. But they absolutely suck in zone concepts, so I won’t be surprised if Flores insists on doing what his personnel is best at doing. 

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. They'll attempt to make Josh think by leaving two deep safeties out there like everyone else is doing. Josh is still going to carve them up. It's rumored that Doyle will play RT. Curious if there is any truth to that.

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not that I disbelieve you a bit, but source?

A problem is that teams usually slant (see what I did?) towards CB who excel at man, or who excel at zone.  Rather than go away from their base, this time against KC the Bills seem to have done a deep dive into how KC tried to exploit their zone coverage and how to adjust safeties and LBs to fill the gaps.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article255259711.html

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-main-thurs-20211028-oyfekkiz55ak7om6rxndkkhqgq-story.html

I think they are going to emphasize pass rush more than anything though. Thing is, they know they have a problem and will be trying something different. They are getting smoked by the passing game.

Edited by Rockinon

15 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. They'll attempt to make Josh think by leaving two deep safeties out there like everyone else is doing. Josh is still going to carve them up. It's rumored that Doyle will play RT. Curious if there is any truth to that.

Where is it rumored? It's mentioned in the other thread because PFF has him in the "lineup" tab on the game page.

But they also have Knox as the backup TE, so........

All receivers practice one-handed catches nowadays. On the off chance they get a pass that they can only reach with 1 hand, or the DB is holding their arm, they need to be able to make a good attempt at a one-handed catch. Practicing it often increases the likelihood they can do it in-game.

17 minutes ago, Beerball said:

@BringBackFergy is my go to guy for the nuances of WR play. Hoping he chimes in here.

Shifty hips, long index fingers, shorter, squattier the better. Longer hair (think Collinsworth and Dave Casper). And Lutheran. For some reason, Lutherans always project as good receivers. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.