Zack Moss a healthy scratch

StHustle

Figured this deserved its own thread and discussion.

I been pounding the table for Devin to remain the lead back and insist he will be a top 5 ypc back this season.

Thoughts on Moss being inactive? Will this be a usual thing. Must be a huge shock to a lot of folks…

Edited by StHustle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• StHustle changed the title to Zack Moss a healthy scratch
1 minute ago, StHustle said:

Ha! Not sure but my thread should be the official Miss out thread since for one I was first to post and two I know how his name is spelled…now where my cookie?

No soup for you… 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, bigduke6 said:

lotta RB fighting for gameday spots,  Moss has been hurt a bit,  mbe just a scratch due to that.

Doubt it. I feel Devin and Breida is our best combo. Can’t have two backs and neither have an extra gear. Devin > Moss so that’s likely how the decision was computed.

I wish they could keep all 4 active and the problem lots have with Jones ST only. Couple injuries and Gilliam is your lead back. Breida who I love isn’t mr durable. 
But somebody has to sit, I like Briedas homerun potential and he’s just such a mismatch for any linebacker to cover. Add in how they were motioning him around in the Green Bay game and it’s got to be a lot to deal with on defense. 

9 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I interpreted it as “I’m 100% healthy.”  I think this is a healthy scratch due to game planning.  Expect a very pass heavy offense today (shocker).

Yeah. He deleted it also. Maybe it's going to be a Singletary/Moss and Brieda backfield. Singletary definitely earned the start this week. Brieda might be a lock each week as the backup speed RB. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

22 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Doubt it. I feel Devin and Breida is our best combo. Can’t have two backs and neither have an extra gear. Devin > Moss so that’s likely how the decision was computed.

Singletary has definitely separated this summer as the #1 I suspect it then will be game plan specific for the #2 job game by game. The Steelers IDL is tough to run on so Breida as a screen catcher and outside zone runner gets the nod today. I suspect it will ebb and flow as the season goes on.

• Like (+1) 3

Could just be part of the game plan, but I also see McD as someone who isn’t afraid to do this type of thing to a second year player who doesn’t meet expectations. What expectations might have been unmet ? I don’t know, but McD sending a player a message wouldn’t shock me. 

9 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Singletary is better than Moss

Breida is a change of pace back Moss is not

Breida is the back up returner

Daboll changes game plans/players week to week

Relax and stay calm people.  Moss is not going to be the deciding factor this game.

I don't know if Singletary is better than Moss or bot but what I do know is that Singletary and Breida apparently offer more for what Daboll has gameplanned today. Maybe when they are looking for more power, Moss will be in the lineup.

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Singletary has definitely separated this summer as the #1 I suspect it then will be game plan specific for the #2 job game by game. The Steelers IDL is tough to run on so Breida as a screen catcher and outside zone runner gets the nod today. I suspect it will ebb and flow as the season goes on.

The Steelers might have the best D-line in the league. That's what strikes me as so strange about this. Moss is better at pass protection than Motor, or Breida. If there's going to be some weekly rotation on RB, then A) that would be weird, and B) excluding Moss this week against the Steelers D-line seems like an odd choice. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Rocky Landing said:

The Steelers might have the best D-line in the league. That's what strikes me as so strange about this. Moss is better at pass protection than Motor, or Breida. If there's going to be some weekly rotation on RB, then A) that would be weird, and B) excluding Moss this week against the Steelers D-line seems like an odd choice. 

It is a fair point. I don't think Devin is a bad pass protector but I agree Moss is the best pass protector of the 3. 

Just now, Rocky Landing said:

I tend to think there’s more than just the game plan at play here, but I don’t know any more than the next guy. We’ll probably never know the true reason regardless of what they tell us, because McD keeps things in house. 

2 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Gilliam?

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Is he better than Gilliam?

Gilliam has never done it as a tailback. It is a different skill blocking as a tight end compared to doing it in the backfield. I'd be surprised if they use Gilliam much as a tailback who pass blocks because if they they then want to check into a run are they really handing off to him in anything other than short yardage?