Preseason TNF: WFT at Pats / Eagles at Steelers

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

I would love to hear these ass hats when the Pats go 7-10 this year.

You know how this goes..it will be the greatest 7-10 season ever and they are setup to win it all next year! It takes a good 3-5 years before the misery sets in and the media flips..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Lol it’s the first pre season game! No one looks awesome in those games and if Brady was still here he wouldn’t even have dressed for it. 

That said Jones looked the better of the two starting QBs and he had what would have been a TD dropped by Wilkerson. Heck he had like 3 passes dropped. He also showed quick decision making all night and actually had the Pats O the closest it has come to resembling when Brady was here. Oh and he did it with mostly the second group.  Oh and the starting D had zero points scored on them.. 

Are the Pats challengers this year? Not unless Buffalo has injuries or your D is sub par. (I suspect neither) 

I again suspect the Pats win 10-12 games just based off of the schedule.  They may be a wild card team but they need another reliable WR if not elite WR on O to have a chance contend and of course Jones would have to prove to be good. The D is going win most of the games this year. 

Lmao you do realize Zola’s is a former Patriot QB and backed up Bledsoe for years.. he is more a homer than anyone. He is the color guy for the radio announcers for games up here.. I am sure Buffalo has the same kind of homer announcers, that’s their job to rah rah the home crowd.. although Zola’s slammed Newton HARD last year. 

Actually having a Terrible QB for the first time since 1996 was what screwed us up. Lol

Drew Bledsoe was terrible in 1996 ? Didn’t you guys go to the Super Bowl that year. I thought Drew was drafted in 94. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Drew Bledsoe was terrible in 1996 ? Didn’t you guys go to the Super Bowl that year. I thought Drew was drafted in 94. 

He was drafted in 1993, and really became consistently good in 1996 for like 4 years. 

19 minutes ago, eball said:

If all the Pats*** can manage is QB play with a rating of around 78 for the season (Mac was 78.2, Cam 78.9), I think 7 wins is an optimistic projection.

Lol it’s the first preseason game! They have had like 4 padded practices.  I don’t expect Cam to improve much between now and opening day, but  Jones will and for his first live action against NFL caliber D he did pretty well with the second squad.

also I find it funny a Bills fan makes fun of a rookie QB rating of a 78.2 when your now superstar QB had a 66 for his rookie year. Which should tell you WBR doesn’t tell you everything. 

• Eyeroll 1

I didn't see the game, and I probably won't have time to do it, but during lunch I glanced over patsfans and they seemed to be ecstatic about Jones. They used words like poise, command, going fast through reads etc.

So, how did he look like?

Edit: @starrymessenger reads my mind apparently :)

Edited by No_Matter_What

3 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I didn't see the game, and I probably won't have time to do it, but during lunch I glanced over patsfans and they seemed to be ecstatic about Jones. They used words like poise, command, going fast through reads etc.

So, how did he look like?

Edit: @starrymessenger reads my mind apparently :)

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Lol it’s the first preseason game! They have had like 4 padded practices.  I don’t expect Cam to improve much between now and opening day, but  Jones will and for his first live action against NFL caliber D he did pretty well with the second squad.

also I find it funny a Bills fan makes fun of a rookie QB rating of a 78.2 when your now superstar QB had a 66 for his rookie year. Which should tell you WBR doesn’t tell you everything. 

Almost as funny as a Patriots fan posting on a Bills fan forum...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Jones is as advertised. He's probably the lowest ceiling, highest floor of all of the 2021 QB's drafted. He's smart, he's accurate, but he's not really going to wow you with anything he does. He may be exactly what they are looking for in a McDaniels offense though with that dink and dunk to get down the field style. He will likely turn out to be a serviceable starter, but he's not going to be a superstar. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Almost as funny as a Patriots fan posting on a Bills fan forum...

What’s funnier I have been here longer than you a long time Bills fan.  It’s football man smile enjoy it.. heck maybe see a game if they don’t lock our butts up again!

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I notice that NFL Network has the Bills games scheduled for a live airing tomorrow night.

Not sure I miss football enough to watch PS game 1 for teams not named Buffalo.

Its actually the Squeelers second game ;)

They had the Cowgirls last week in a HOF game thriller ;)

Edited by JMF2006
for got an a

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

What’s funnier I have been here longer than you a long time Bills fan.  It’s football man smile enjoy it.. heck maybe see a game if they don’t lock our butts up again!

Oh, I'm enjoying the hell out of it.  We have a great team and the future is bright!

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

It was a very simple statement about QB rating and win projections.  The Bills won 6 games Josh’s rookie year, so what’s your point?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, eball said:

It was a very simple statement about QB rating and win projections.  The Bills won 6 games Josh’s rookie year, so what’s your point?

Unlike Josh, I don’t see Jones starting. Also the schedule is easier this year and they won 7 with Newton last year and a much harder schedule. Pshht I could be wrong and you could be right.. I am just going to cheer and have fun.. 

• Like (+1) 1

Jones looked solid, didn’t seem to get rattled, put the ball where he should in most cases.  They are going to play power football this season and if Jones gets in, I don’t see a real drop off from Cam, outside of running ability.  If Cam does somehow regain his old form, they could be a real tough match up to deal with. 

The Pats D is what is going to be the story this year, they added Judon and are getting some guys back, I think you are looking at a top 5 D again, if not top of the league.  

It sounds odd to say this, but they built themselves to beat the Bills.  They are strong at everything the Bills are weakest against.   Not surprisingly, the Bills built a team that emulates the most successful teams in the last few years, the Pats tried to get ahead of the league cycle again by constructing a team to stop those teams.   They are going to look to control the clock, pound the rock and rush the passer, with some good talent in the secondary.  They are not going to be fun to play. I think there is a very real chance they are a 10+ win team this year and back in real playoff contention.  If and it’s always a big IF, they can finish drives and get in the end zone early in games, that smash mouth type of game is going to be hard to deal with for a lot of teams who have built the lighter, faster D to slow down the high flying pass games.  They will be tough for the Bills with their emphasis on running and using the TEs a lot, it’s the 2 areas this team is not great at.

• Vomit 1

I myself am looking forward to another NE season without Brady, without Gronkowski and without Julian "F'ing" Edelman (as I used to say). 

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

It sounds odd to say this, but they built themselves to beat the Bills.  They are strong at everything the Bills are weakest against.   Not surprisingly, the Bills built a team that emulates the most successful teams in the last few years, the Pats tried to get ahead of the league cycle again by constructing a team to stop those teams.   They are going to look to control the clock, pound the rock and rush the passer, with some good talent in the secondary.  They are not going to be fun to play. I think there is a very real chance they are a 10+ win team this year and back in real playoff contention.  If and it’s always a big IF, they can finish drives and get in the end zone early in games, that smash mouth type of game is going to be hard to deal with for a lot of teams who have built the lighter, faster D to slow down the high flying pass games.  They will be tough for the Bills with their emphasis on running and using the TEs a lot, it’s the 2 areas this team is not great at.

I think we are going to see a redux of last year's scheme, only with better players.  So I do agree they will be a tough out.  My hope is Brady goes in there and beats them.  The fans walk away saying that "well at least it was Tom, so it's okay" and that ends up being the one loss that keeps them out of the playoffs..

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I can see 10-7 if NE's defense is top 5 in the league, but Fitz and the starters moved easily on them. They missed the FG. 🤷🏻‍♂️

NE's offense is going to barely suffice and the rookie QB will be starting sooner than later.

I see the same record too, but how on earth is anyone gathering what a teams season is going to be from the first actual live hitting preseason game is beyond me...

Teams aren't even putting in their actual offensive n defensive schemes. Just (not saying you) Just overreacting to everything immediately.

Edited by Ghost_002!

2 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

I see the same record too, but how on earth is anyone gathering what a teams season is going to be from the first actual live hitting preseason game is beyond me...

Teams aren't even putting in their actual offensive n defensive schemes. Just (not saying you) Just overreacting to everything immediately.

I’m not deriving much of anything from a preseason game.  Look at what they added and what they are bringing back and the plan looks pretty clear to me.  They are going to be a tough team this year.

8 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I’m not deriving much of anything from a preseason game.  Look at what they added and what they are bringing back and the plan looks pretty clear to me.  They are going to be a tough team this year.

No, I am not directing my post to you. I was reading the whole thread and it's a small group of bills fans that are overreacting to everything.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

If all the Pats*** can manage is QB play with a rating of around 78 for the season (Mac was 78.2, Cam 78.9), I think 7 wins is an optimistic projection.

Watching Jones you see how hard he has to throw to get anything on the ball. If Jones had been on any other college team, playing with a different group of players and coach he would have been a 5th rounder. 

30 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

No, I am not directing my post to you. I was reading the whole thread and it's a small group of bills fans that are overreacting to everything.

Twitter was also blowing up last night with a large contingency saying that Jones looked like a seasoned 10-year vet.  I guess it goes both ways.  When Allen came out he was trashed relentlessly on a throw-by-throw basis by the media.  I thought Jones looked comfortable in his first preseason start.  And that's probably as far as any of us can go based on his play time yesterday.  But I think the media gets bored of waiting and loves to hyperbolize everything.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Watching Jones you see how hard he has to throw to get anything on the ball. If Jones had been on any other college team, playing with a different group of players and coach he would have been a 5th rounder. 

I really wanted to see Stidham in camp with them just to throw a wrench in the works.  Jones has the noodle arm, Cam's is broke and Stidham has a legit NFL arm but not the leadership intangibles of the other two.  It would have really muddied it up to have a guy in their camp who can sling it and put the other two in context.

11 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Twitter was also blowing up last night with a large contingency saying that Jones looked like a seasoned 10-year vet.  I guess it goes both ways.  When Allen came out he was trashed relentlessly on a throw-by-throw basis by the media.  I thought Jones looked comfortable in his first preseason start.  And that's probably as far as any of us can go based on his play time yesterday.  But I think the media gets bored of waiting and loves to hyperbolize everything.

Agree with everything you said!

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

Rather ironic that you are "lol"ing at eball's prediction and proceeding to make two of your own without much basis for Jones'. We had a QB named Peterman who, according to his preseason play, was destined for super stardom but we know how it turned out. I get that you are a homer but your projection is no more or less credible than eball's (well thats not entirely true. knowing eball's post history, he is more credible than you)

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 2

Rookie QB’s rarely play on a team that has success leading to a playoff run. A couple reasons is that they are rookies and teams that start rookie QB’s are generally weak (which is why they start a rookie QB). Jones to me looks like an immobile QB with at best an average arm. If he is playing the majority of snaps I will make a guess of no more than 7 wins. This is based upon other first year QB starters records.

16 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Rather ironic that you are "lol"ing at eball's prediction and proceeding to make two of your own without much basis for Jones'. We had a QB named Peterman who, according to his preseason play, was destined for super stardom but we know how it turned out. I get that you are a homer but your projection is no more or less credible than eball's (well thats not entirely true. knowing eball's post history, he is more credible than you)

4 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Ya because Allen in year one was seeing the field that well his first preseason game. (Sigh) but as usual you missed the entire point.. it is very very rare for a rookie QB to come in and light it up and have a high QBR.

as for your video, let’s see how he looks after running around like that for 5 years.. so far Mobil QBs historically have a much shorter shelf life than pocket passers. (See Newton,Cam) Just because it’s the latest NFL craze doesn’t mean that will change.  

39 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

People seem confused that the media needs your attention today... not in 2 or 3 years..

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

Ya because Allen in year one was seeing the field that well his first preseason game. (Sigh) but as usual you missed the entire point.. it is very very rare for a rookie QB to come in and light it up and have a high QBR.

as for your video, let’s see how he looks after running around like that for 5 years.. so far Mobil QBs historically have a much shorter shelf life than pocket passers. (See Newton,Cam) Just because it’s the latest NFL craze doesn’t mean that will change.  

haha i get the point that its first preseason game.  I actually dont disagree with the points you were making (i dont understand the as usual since we have had good discussion in the past), but dont compare allen to jones.  Those two are very different.

Plenty mobile QBs have had long careers (McNabb, Young, Cunningham).  Data says QBs are just as likely to get hurt running the ball as standing the pocket.

7 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I’d consider Josh a Speedway QB, not Mobil😎

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Ya my projections are just way off.. I mean Vegas has them at 9 wins so dang I am crazy thinking they could have  9 to 10 wins, just a total homer thing.   But hey I am sure you and E are smarter than Vegas with the 7 prediction. 

I love how you compare a 5th round QB going to a club poorly run at the time to a 1st round QB going to a very well run organization. They are not even close to the same. 

what’s really funny is how scared Bills fans sound.  Jones could be a stud, hell he could be a dud.. all we know from preseason game one is he makes quick reads and throws the ball extremely accurate. 

I’ll never trust my lying eyes in preseason after I thought Peterman looked great.  

Hard to make judgments on accurate QBs with weak arms, when the talent level and speed isn’t that of a regular season game.  

Some can make it work… some can’t.  

• Like (+1) 1