NFL Owners: Ranked worst to first

Greg S

15 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I won't say where they are ranked in case you decide to watch but the Pegula's get a pretty good ranking.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not surprised they got a good ranking.  They should.

Would be interesting to see where they would have ended up after the Ryan/Whaley years. Probably near the bottom, saying they gave Ryan & Whaley way too much freedom to run things, the same reasons they are given high grades now.

Edited by Steve O

23 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Would be interesting to see where they would have ended up after the Ryan/Whaley years. Probably near the bottom, saying they gave Ryan & Whaley way too much freedom to run things, the same reasons they are given high grades now.

Who cares?  That's old news.

These are fun and all, but what made Kraft a "great owner" was lucking into Tom Brady. You can give him some credit for going after Belichick. Due to Brady and Belichick, NE won a ton and became a top franchise. Before that they weren't much different from today's Bengals: a few nice runs, a SB trip in the past, but no real staying power. 

If Trevor Lawrence becomes a superstar then suddenly Shad Khan is a better owner?

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

Where do they rank in the NHL owner rankings?

Dead worst franchise in the NHL, easily, with Ottawa being the only serious contender for the honor.  

Here's the thing: Pegula got lucky with his football hirings and then got out of the way.

He's had terrible NHL hirings and fancies himself a hockey expert, so he gets in the way of everything, despite being an idiot.  

When a sports team is this bad, for this long, the only place you can look for an answer is ownership.

Here's to hoping he sells the Sabres and focuses on the Bills. 

I think he will do that, at some point in the future.

No one likes to be surrounded by misery forever.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

Wow. Slick burn dude.

I could’ve said the same thing for my original reply.  But this isn’t an NHL board much less thread.  But you knew, that didn’t you?

7 hours ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

Probably dead last. Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked at how they've handled the Bills but they have really fudged up the Sabres. I read a headline today about the roster and all that was said was, "Well...that is indeed a team." Admittedly I haven't been following them closely probably since their last playoff run, I keep up with the news but don't watch a lot of the games. 8ts been rough, I mean, how long does it take to get their stuff together?

On 8/6/2021 at 9:42 AM, Greg S said:

3 Super Bowls in the 90's got him that high of a ranking. His teams haven't lived up to the hype since Jimmy was there.

Agreed. I would have thought that his acknowledgment that he messed that situation up and his years of meddling holding the team back would have caught up with him in 2021.

21 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Dead worst franchise in the NHL, easily, with Ottawa being the only serious contender for the honor.  

Here's the thing: Pegula got lucky with his football hirings and then got out of the way.

He's had terrible NHL hirings and fancies himself a hockey expert, so he gets in the way of everything, despite being an idiot.  

When a sports team is this bad, for this long, the only place you can look for an answer is ownership.

He got lucky? Tell us how that luck happened. That bull#### narrative has been floated around by people like you and I have yet to see anyone substantiate that.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I think it is EXACTLY the OPPOSITE.

They have been unlucky with the Sabres. They have given both teams all of the resources they could. Their hires have been well regarded at the time up to the GMKA hire.  We will see how he works out. I am hopeful.

The Pegulas have transformed the community - particularly downtown.

They created the Academy of Hockey and impressed the NHL to such an extent that the NHL combine will be in Buffalo for as long as we want unless the NHL decided to do a favor for some other community.

Most importantly, I don't have to worry about the Pegulas moving either team while they own them. (As it turns out, the Austin BS turned out to be just that - BS)

Also regarding the Sabres, you may want to ask yourself how much they are subsidizing the Sabres and whether there is anyone else anywhere that would be willing to do so and keep the team in Buffalo.

14 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Stan Kronke coming in at #11 kills the whole thing.  

I am a huge fan of Arsenal - another team Silent Stan Kroenke owns.  All one needs to know about Kroenke is that, even though he is from Missouri, he moved the Rams to LA.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/6/2021 at 4:53 PM, LeGOATski said:

Been waiting for a World's Sexiest Owner ranking...

Kim Pegula takes it.

Not Jerrah? 🤪🧐

Just kidding, she is a beautiful woman, and seems very bright.  I’m not a big hockey fan, but for the sake of my family, I wish they would get it right and get out of the way like they did with the Bills.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/6/2021 at 9:26 AM, Southern Bills Fan said:

Take wins out of it and they've been as good as we could hope for. They spent a lot and helped build up amateur hockey in Buffalo. The NHL combine is in Buffalo only because of the Pegulas. 

There's obviously anger because of the lack of winning and they've also started cutting the hockey budget. So who knows where that's going. But at the same time they cut budget they sign the #1 free agent in Taylor Hall.

They have a long way to go to building a stable NHL franchise but if we use the Bills as an example all it takes is the right mix of leadership at head coach and GM and it can turn around in couple years. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Take wins out of it and they've been as good as we could hope for. They spent a lot and helped build up amateur hockey in Buffalo. The NHL combine is in Buffalo only because of the Pegulas. 

There's obviously anger because of the lack of winning and they've also started cutting the hockey budget. So who knows where that's going. But at the same time they cut budget they sign the #1 free agent in Taylor Hall.

They have a long way to go to building a stable NHL franchise but if we use the Bills as an example all it takes is the right mix of leadership at head coach and GM and it can turn around in couple years. 

I agree. It’s difficult to see right now but I believe they are actually on the right track.