DT Nazair Jones released

No idea who this is. Thought it was gonna be a 'should we kick the tires?' thread.

5 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

to make room for.....

Zach Ertz? LOL

Jones is a pretty big guy. There's room for both Ertz and Xavien now.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We weren't too interested this Spring, what has changed?

Lack of reports does not mean Beane didnt check in. 

Some vets don't like OTAs, some wait til after the draft. 

Edit: Also it's wishful thinking. I want the Bills to try to sign him, and I think they should. 

Edited by delirious

32 minutes ago, delirious said:

Lack of reports does not mean Beane didnt check in. 

Some vets don't like OTAs, some wait til after the draft. 

Edit: Also it's wishful thinking. I want the Bills to try to sign him, and I think they should. 

Fair point.  Some might also wait to see if injuries or something drive their price up

At the risk of being obvious, let me summarize what we know.  Besides the release of Jones  (I always hate when a "Jones" gets cut) the only other fact that we know is that Jones never had the opportunity to show what he can or can't do on the field.  First, it seems as though  Beane figures Jones would be at best a fringe player.  Second, he thinks he's in the running to land a player who might be at the very least a bit more impactful than Jones.  It would not necessarily be a DT.

55 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

At the risk of being obvious, let me summarize what we know.  Besides the release of Jones  (I always hate when a "Jones" gets cut) the only other fact that we know is that Jones never had the opportunity to show what he can or can't do on the field.  First, it seems as though  Beane figures Jones would be at best a fringe player.  Second, he thinks he's in the running to land a player who might be at the very least a bit more impactful than Jones.  It would not necessarily be a DT.

We don't "know" he "thinks he's in the running to land a playaer who might be at the very least a bit more impactful than Jones." That's a supposition. Certainly one that's very possible, but not something we know.

Could be he gave one of the coaches some lip or didn't show up to a Zoom call or in some way didn't live up to their expectations.

He is indeed likely to grab somebody to fill the spot. Could as easily be that they fill the spot because they let Jones go as what most here are assuming, which is that because they need a spot they let Jones go.

Remember when everyone was convinced that we'd given Diggs a re-fi on his deal because we needed the money right then and there? Sometimes they make moves because they're good moves, because it's what they need to do next.

Maybe they're doing this to make room. But since cutting him moves it from 89 to 88, and the limit is 90, they could have brought someone in without cutting him. Maybe they just wanted to cut him. We'll see.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

We don't "know" he "thinks he's in the running to land a playaer who might be at the very least a bit more impactful than Jones." That's a supposition. Certainly one that's very possible, but not something we know.

Could be he gave one of the coaches some lip or didn't show up to a Zoom call or in some way didn't live up to their expectations.

Good points all in your post, this is just a technical/rules question: are the teams allowed to have Zoom calls or coach contact right now?

I thought after mandatory minicamp was sort of a "communications dark" period where players could receive treatment/rehab and work out at the team facilities if they choose, but coaches couldn't EXPECT anything of players

• Awesome! (+1) 1

You guys have been binge watching Oliver Stone conspiracy theory movies.  They worked him out, he didn’t meet expectations, whether it was his play, attitude or whatever and he’s gone.   There’s going to be another 30+ gone in August. 

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good points all in your post, this is just a technical/rules question: are the teams allowed to have Zoom calls or coach contact right now?

I thought after mandatory minicamp was sort of a "communications dark" period where players could receive treatment/rehab and work out at the team facilities if they choose, but coaches couldn't EXPECT anything of players

Hap, I've always assumed that they could contact each other, though as you say, the team couldn't require contact.

I'm willing to learn, though. I could certainly be wrong.

7 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

You guys have been binge watching Oliver Stone conspiracy theory movies.  They worked him out, he didn’t meet expectations, whether it was his play, attitude or whatever and he’s gone.   There’s going to be another 30+ gone in August. 

This happened after mini-camp and it would be where he worked with competition.

Likely he saw competition and did not think he would make roster so asked for release.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1