Zach Ertz about to be traded? [Edit: or Not]

Rubes

41 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Joe Marino on today's Locked On Bills podcast said he has sources close to the Ertz situation. According to his sources the two teams in contention for Ertz as of now are the Bills and the Chargers. Apparently Howie Roseman is playing hardball and trying to get more for Ertz than he is worth.

Gun to my head I would predict Chargers if it's down to us and them because Beane isn't the type to give in to another team's overpriced demands, and the Chargers might be a little desperate to replace Hunter Henry.

I'm not so sure. I mean Beane offered $10M to Gronk Thats shows he really values having a top TE.

Not saying he will give a 3rd or anything but he obviously has shown he thinks the Bills need a top tier TE

17 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I'm not so sure. I mean Beane offered $10M to Gronk Thats shows he really values having a top TE.

Not saying he will give a 3rd or anything but he obviously has shown he thinks the Bills need a top tier TE

Was an offer and value confirmed to Gronk?

12 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Right and wrong.  Beane is smart.  He sees Gronk as still having something left.  Gronk also only costs money.  Ertz is more of a low odds roll of the dice.  He had some good years but was always an incomplete player.  He was a bad player in 2020. He requires money and Philly is asking for draft resources?  He is probably just saying no thanks.  Philly should be thrilled to get rid of the dead weight but they are overplaying their hand.  Say la vee.

Just now, Virgil said:

Was an offer and value confirmed to Gronk?

I don’t think so but it seems plausible.  He is a good tight end even at his age. If we’re interested in a bad TE like Ertz we’d probably be interested in a good one too.

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

He’s the guy who will singlehandedly push this thread past 100 pages into the weekend?🧐

This is a great comment 

Showtime Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

14 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Who is this guy?

Why? Are you interested in him?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:Thanks. So a concentration issue and not necessarily skill set or abilities issue? Makes sense as if it's a difficult catch he is focused on the catch and not the run after. As a side joke, maybe Allen should be less accurate when throwing to Knox..LOL.. If you had your choice between Rudolph and Ertz,  which would you go with for the Bills?

Probably Rudolph.  At his age a prove it deal 2 years, but can get out after 1 if needed.  He’s a solid dude.  That was funny on the inaccuracy.  I don’t know if you played or coached you’re kids, but it was pounded in my head as a kid to catch, secure, and then over guys.  My coaches knew I liked to hit people.  One of the reasons I liked Mike Allstot.  I used to bartender as a second job in graduate school and he would come in pre-marriage to see one of my bartenders who was sweet and beautiful,  we shared a register, and Allstot would sit right in front of my register ever weekend for one of the nights.  One week and this was NFCC days so the Vikings played the Bucs.  Allstot made it through the line and was running right for the end zone.  He had a safety from his position would be left of him.  He could easily run in to the right without an issue.  He purposefully ran left to literally knock the guy four feet back.

He came 5e next Saturday of course to the club.  I was raving to him and he told me the guy jawed at him earlier in the game.  He said I was going to score anyway so why not have fun.  He was funny as he said “Dan you could’ve knocked that .... on his .....  back then I was a powerlifter, and I told him I’m not you bud.

Knox just needs to focus.  I drilled into my kids I coached and there are several drills you can do to improve, but you can’t try and play hero ball.  If the defense allows you a 7 yard catch, take it.  After secured which takes less than half a second, then hammer a guy, or evade.  Bottom line is never get ahead of yourself as a player.  I was fortunate.  I had great coaches and did the best I could with the kids I coached.  

Youre question was good BTW.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I think you’re missing why they went after Sanders. He is one of the best route runners in the league, and the Daboll system is predicated on obtaining windows rather than jump balling it. He is a perfect fit. The Bills are a smart organization and Daboll is smart, and they’ve prioritized vet route running over raw talent. It only led to the second best offense in the league last season and Josh Allen leading the NFL in PFR’s AV stat (their version of WAR for football). I like Brown, but I think Sanders is a measurable upgrade given what the Bills do on offense. Samuel can do certain things well (ie, run), but he can’t do what Sanders does. And I mentioned elsewhere, Sanders is a winner: playing on teams that have collectively gone 110-66 and 8-5 in the postseason plus playing in 3 SBs (and in the one Denver won he was the leading receiver in the game). Also remember the bomb that Garappolo missed that could have won the SB for SF — how, in that situation, did Sanders get behind the D? Great route running.

Good post

10 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Probably Rudolph.  At his age a prove it deal 2 years, but can get out after 1 if needed.  He’s a solid dude.  That was funny on the inaccuracy.  I don’t know if you played or coached you’re kids, but it was pounded in my head as a kid to catch, secure, and then over guys.  My coaches knew I liked to hit people.  One of the reasons I liked Mike Allstot.  I used to bartender as a second job in graduate school and he would come in pre-marriage to see one of my bartenders who was sweet and beautiful,  we shared a register, and Allstot would sit right in front of my register ever weekend for one of the nights.  One week and this was NFCC days so the Vikings played the Bucs.  Allstot made it through the line and was running right for the end zone.  He had a safety from his position would be left of him.  He could easily run in to the right without an issue.  He purposefully ran left to literally knock the guy four feet back.

He came 5e next Saturday of course to the club.  I was raving to him and he told me the guy jawed at him earlier in the game.  He said I was going to score anyway so why not have fun.  He was funny as he said “Dan you could’ve knocked that .... on his .....  back then I was a powerlifter, and I told him I’m not you bud.

Knox just needs to focus.  I drilled into my kids I coached and there are several drills you can do to improve, but you can’t try and play hero ball.  If the defense allows you a 7 yard catch, take it.  After secured which takes less than half a second, then hammer a guy, or evade.  Bottom line is never get ahead of yourself as a player.  I was fortunate.  I had great coaches and did the best I could with the kids I coached.  

Youre question was good BTW.

You’re still a power lifter to me MGK!  

great story!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I think you’re missing why they went after Sanders. He is one of the best route runners in the league, and the Daboll system is predicated on obtaining windows rather than jump balling it. He is a perfect fit. The Bills are a smart organization and Daboll is smart, and they’ve prioritized vet route running over raw talent. It only led to the second best offense in the league last season and Josh Allen leading the NFL in PFR’s AV stat (their version of WAR for football). I like Brown, but I think Sanders is a measurable upgrade given what the Bills do on offense. Samuel can do certain things well (ie, run), but he can’t do what Sanders does. And I mentioned elsewhere, Sanders is a winner: playing on teams that have collectively gone 110-66 and 8-5 in the postseason plus playing in 3 SBs (and in the one Denver won he was the leading receiver in the game). Also remember the bomb that Garappolo missed that could have won the SB for SF — how, in that situation, did Sanders get behind the D? Great route running.

New Era nailed it with you bud.  I can see you’re point.  I hope he has enough gas left to have an impact, not only in the field, but can he be that mentor type to Davis and Hodgins.  Still waiting for the McKenzie signing as I don’t want Hyde returning kicks and punts.  That’s a mistake.  I wish nothing but the best fir Brown.  Maybe on this other team he has a ***** at earning #1 status again.

Brandon Marshall said before the season who is an alumni stadium from UCF along with Davis, he was so advanced in his route running for Davis’s short career at UCF.  If Sanders can just help him with a few more tips and even more with Hodgins, this could be excellent.  Don’t get me wrong, I still want some kid round burner who is like a Ted ginn.  Lots of speed not a lot of route running, but just flat out burns defenses.  You can sometimes find those guys mid round.  It’s gonna be fun.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Played Pop Warner as a DE, moved to Corner in HS, but not very good..😂. Soccer and baseball was more my thing. Anyways. Loved me some Alstott. BEAST.. Think I still have my Jurivicious Jersey in the closet. Bucs are my second team.. 

Thanks for the story, nice read with everything going on..

Also, appreciate the response. Being more of a defensive guy myself or more of a power run offense,  it's good to get perspective from the offense side as to TE's and wr's.

Thanks again. I'll watch some clips from Rudolph...

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Not to mention (1) Sanders is a good and willing run blocker; and (2) he runs the same route tree as Diggs, giving them full playbook versatility on both sides of the field and to all depths of it.  They can mirror the playbook by using Diggs and Sanders interchangeably- whereas previously, the defense had a decent idea which routes could conceivably be run by Diggs vs. Brown on any given play.  It’s going to stress out the defense.  Add Beasley and potentially Ertz and, man…

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Yeah Roseman is playing hardball. Like someone else said, I would predict the Chargers win in a bidding war given that they need to replace Hunter Henry who was pivotal to Herbert's success last season. 

My final offer would be our 5th round pick. If Philly turns that down, then go get Dan Arnold or draft someone like Brevin Jordan. 

3 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Yeah Roseman is playing hardball. Like someone else said, I would predict the Chargers win in a bidding war given that they need to replace Hunter Henry who was pivotal to Herbert's success last season. 

My final offer would be our 5th round pick. If Philly turns that down, then go get Dan Arnold or draft someone like Brevin Jordan. 

I would be surprised if Chargers offer more than a 5th they really need their picks with new HC

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would be surprised if Chargers offer more than a 5th they really need their picks with new HC

It really wouldn’t surprise me if they want our 30 or an early 2nd. I believe they really do value him that much.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

I want Rudolph if we can't get Ertz.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Agree.   Too many good tight ends in the draft to spend much needed draft picks on a 31 year old tight end with his best football behind him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Agree.   Too many good tight ends in the draft to spend much needed draft picks on a 31 year old tight end with his best football behind him.

Gronks best football is behind him.   What does that have to do with anything?  We could use Gronk or Zack- it would be a massive improvement, no matter "best football behind him"

7 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I'm not waiting 3 to 4 years for te to develop, when I need him now...

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I'm not missing it.    I know he's BEEN a great route runner.......I know that they probably looked at the KC tape and said John Brown was a detriment and that if they had another route runner like Diggs they might have been able to attack that look better.    I get it.   But I also think they lack speed on offense.........I KNOW it actually........ and they now have 2 starting WR who will be old for the position and free agents after the year.   Samuel is exceptional on the deep ball........can play slot when Beasley leaves and is actually a trained RB who can produce there too.   He was a great fit, IMO.  

It's a great draft for WR.......one of the top 3 for depth in the past 20 years with as many as 20 WR with first 3 round grades........I hope they select no less than 2 and bring in a high upside guy in UDFA who might be able to be a gunner or KR too.    We shouldn't take it for granted.......the 2014 draft was flush with WR talent....the Bills took one then focused on needs......and ended up short handed at WR soon after and couldn't do much about it in the drafted because the pipeline dried up for a long time until ramping up recently.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

There is 1 good TE in this draft and then a pretty good one, the rest are not anything to depend on. That said, Ertz is not worth anything above a 4th and we don't have one, so it should be 5th or nothing. 

Edited by ndirish1978

24 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

This, in conjunction with Beane holding a presser at 2, which is believed to signify the end of our spending - leads me to believe we're out 😢

I would be very surprised if the Bills are finished with FA.  But they may have a few "middle class" or lower-end guys they are talking to.

Maybe instead of "surprised" I should say "disappointed". 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Gronks best football is behind him.   What does that have to do with anything?  We could use Gronk or Zack- it would be a massive improvement, no matter "best football behind him"

Lets be fair, Gronk's best football was a lot better than Ertz's best football.      Could we use them, yes, I agree.  What I dont want to do is give up money and picks in either case. 

6 minutes ago, Unsavory Peterman said:

Big bob Tonyan anyone?

Not for a second. 

The problem with Ertz is I want Beane to hold firm and not give up a third for him.  3rd round picks are too important now.   Need to develop the first three rounds of picks into at least rotational status for the length of their rookie contracts.  Our mid to long term success is dependent upon it.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Who has the leverage?  Do the Eagles need to get rid of Ertz more than we need him?

The Eagles appear to have managed their salary cap by "kicking the can down the road" ie asking veterans to convert salary to signing bonus.  Spotrac doesn't show it yet, but they asked Brandon Graham to renegotiate and supposedly he did, to get them "under" the cap (Spotrac shows them at $4.8M over)

They have Alshon Jeffery and Malik Jackson designated as post-June1 cuts which I guess will allow them to sign rookies (?) or at least to spread out their cap hits.

I think Brandon Beane doesn't see Ertz as a "must have" player for us.

I'm not sure the Eagles see him as a player they need to cut to get under the cap. They probably have a couple more guys they could rework to get more cap room.

14 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Not for a second. 

The problem with Ertz is I want Beane to hold firm and not give up a third for him.  3rd round picks are too important now.   Need to develop the first three rounds of picks into at least rotational status for the length of their rookie contracts.  Our mid to long term success is dependent upon it.

This.  If the Eagles are "we want a 3rd round pick" I think Beane should say "I want a Pony" and move on.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm not missing it.    I know he's BEEN a great route runner.......I know that they probably looked at the KC tape and said John Brown was a detriment and that if they had another route runner like Diggs they might have been able to attack that look better.    I get it.   But I also think they lack speed on offense.........I KNOW it actually........ and they now have 2 starting WR who will be old for the position and free agents after the year.   Samuel is exceptional on the deep ball........can play slot when Beasley leaves and is actually a trained RB who can produce there too.   He was a great fit, IMO.  

It's a great draft for WR.......one of the top 3 for depth in the past 20 years with as many as 20 WR with first 3 round grades........I hope they select no less than 2 and bring in a high upside guy in UDFA who might be able to be a gunner or KR too.    We shouldn't take it for granted.......the 2014 draft was flush with WR talent....the Bills took one then focused on needs......and ended up short handed at WR soon after and couldn't do much about it in the drafted because the pipeline dried up for a long time until ramping up recently.

There's always fast guys available in FA and the draft every year. I'm not going to worry about that. Anyway, the Bills are playing for this year, not 2023, and they are in fact a SB-caliber team.  Sanders does more for them this year than Samuel--who they couldn't afford anyway--probably would, and also bear in mind that deep ball/bomb accuracy isn't really Allen's forte. His forte is the 35-air yard throw on a rope to a guy who burns his defender via great route running and gets a window. Diggs is probably the best receiver in the league at doing that, and Sanders is really good at it too. Sanders mirroring Diggs gives them great options, and with Beasley in the mix, they are going to be hard to defend--again.   

• Like (+1) 2